March 17

General Discussions

Devil’s Due is on the loose!  Get yours today!

Devil's Due

Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted March 17, 2016 by Taylor Anderson in category "Uncategorized

3,706 COMMENTS :

1. By Jeff on

I’ve been watching a woodchuck that lives under my barn. Now I have four of them. I must be getting mellow with age because there was a time when that would have been the first and last sighting of them. I told my wife (city girl – everything out there is a beaver to her) that they were cute little “vegetitians” and that they are pests – “sometimes some things just need killing”

Is it July 10th yet ?

1. By donald johnson on

You have little tint woodchucks, Taylor has Gigantic 300-600 lb hogs. He has to cary his Doom-Whomper to get to the barn!

2. By Steve Moore on

disconnect hose from sprinkler, put down hole.
      Go out for pizza.
      Forget to shut hose off for night.

OK, I hook the hose up to the tractor exhaust, but I have a garden.

2. By Generalstarwars333 on

Well, it’s that time of year again. We hand in our school computers tomorrow, so I’m afraid I won’t be on much, if at all, until sometime around the start of September. It’s been a heck of a year, and I hope to have a great time with all of you next year. Until then, I bid you all adieu.

1. By Charles Simpson on

Have a good summer break, and enjoy River of Bones it is a hoot!

2. By Steve Moore on

Library usually has computers, as long as you don’t look at naughty pictures. Use them occasionally when the Stink Pad decides to act up.

3. By Joe Thorsky on

Continued:
    A Destroyerman’s Treatise and post graduate seminar on Blue and Brown Water Humor
    No expletive deletions, no swear jar penalties, just the leading edge, the tasteful and the funny!
    Showing all knock off imitators how it’s done
    Laughter rest assured.

2 From Final Harbor
    Harry Homewood
    McGraw Hill Book Company
    New York, New York 1980

“In view of the fact that both the Japanese officers were known to be experts in
    Jungle warfare and inasmuch as the US Navy’s Marine Corps is now engaged in a
    bitter battle to hold on to Guadalcanal, it has been officially decided that the, ah the mining of the bath house was a heavy loss to the enemy and Mako is hereby
    Given credit for sinking one, ah Japanese bath house!”……

“Then he ran out of the building, it was built up on stilts like so many desert buildings, and went under the building and jumped into the cesspool that the building’s toilets emptied into!” ” He stayed there all that night and the next day and then he climbed out the following night and walked out into the desert to a prearranged place and was picked up by a light plane.” “I’m told that the plane’s pilot put in for a Hardship Discharge, saying the Major’s stench had ruined his nose and eyes for life!” …

4. By Lou Schirmer on

Was looking at the cover of ROB & got to thinking. The “crocodile” on the cover may actually be one of the amphibious Grik-type Great Mothers. She may have come out of one of the side lagoons/swamp areas to see what all the fuss was about & stuck around to snack on some Grik galleys.

5. By Steve Moore on

Headed off to Tractor Supply for parts for the beast, and thought; zep engines– low speed– farmland– someone needs to invent the tractor, and put the brontosarry era in the past. Austral, the NUS heartland (they probably have horses too), and maybe even Halikstan could use some tractors (since the Griks would probably eat the horses, as Plains Indians sometimes did). Air-cooled, so they’d operate winter or summer.

Sorry, guys, subject of tanks and battleships is getting a bit old. Thinking of more realistic steps in evolution. Mechanized farming frees up labor, and unless Alexey can figure up a relative of Igor Sikorsky that can have been transferred from Czarist Russia, don’t think you want to hear about my helicopter idea…

1. By Steve Moore on

Looking at my 1963 Nat Geo Atlas, and realized that Cabinda is a straight shot over to Zanzibar. Wonder if the Grik, now that they have zeps, thought of going that way? Also a shorter flight for Fiedler and Tante Ju.

6. By Joe Thorsky on

Lou-Steve-David-Donald
    Guys

More ‘What if’ bad timing events for your consideration
    Suppose on its first War Patrol USS Nautilis (Narwhal-class submarine SS 168)
    at Midway was not depth charged by IJN Arashi after its failed torp attack on
    IJN BB Kirishima and the IJN cruiser Nagara
    Suppose also that the Rosetta Stone- the one deciphering two languages;
    Egyptian and Greek and three writing systems; hieroglyphic, demotic, and
    Greek had not been discovered by French scientists and its military during
    the Napoleonic War in 1799.

Additional supplemental readings for Destroyermen graduates
    1 Eminent Americans
    Namesakes of the Polaris Submarine fleet
    By H.G. Rickover
    See History and Backgrounds of
    1 George Washington SSBN 598
    2 Abraham Lincoln SSBN 602
    3 US Grant SSBN 631
    4 Robert E Lee SSBN 601
    5 Stonewall Jackson SSBN 634
    6 John Marshall SSBN 611
    7 Casimer Pulaski SSBN 633
    A Remarkable and most humbling read and reminder
    especially on this 2018 Memorial Day holiday.

2 Star Carrier 1 Earth Strike
    Ian Douglas
    Eos Harper Collins 2010
    A passage:
    “Gray had released the The Dustcatcher, sending a microscopic
    speck of collected dust and hydrogen atoms compressed into
    a neutron micro-body hurtling ahead at half the speed of light.
    If it, by sheer, random chance, hit an enemy spacecraft as it zipped
    Through the system, so much the better, but there was no way to aim it.
    Like the vaporized whiffs of any A7 (StarHawk) strike packages that had
    missed their targets, the dust balls released by the infallible fighters
    would remain Intersteller navigation hazards for eons to come.”…

3 “…riding the endless waves of the past, bound for
    mysterious ports (that) they will never make, on
    voyages from which they never will return.”…
    Excerpt Ghost Ships of the Great Lakes
    Dwight Boyer
    Dodd Mead & Company New York

Phantom Ships that pass in the night
    Lyle A Myers

Shimmering ripples on the lakes below
    The full moon’s eerie silver glow
    In the stillness of the summer night
    Reveal weird shadows in translucent light.

Strange forms take shape, tall masts and spars
    Like fairy wands, touch the twinkling stars,
    Then through the magic of mind and sight
    We see the Phantom Ships that pass in the night

Unfolding the mysteries of long, long ago
    Lost vessels and crews lying deep down below
    Return as ghosts and sail on once more
    Toward that beacon light on the distant shore.

The Master of all ships is now in command
    The course is charted to that promised land;
    Not a sound breaks the silence in the pale moonlight
    On those Phantom ships that pass in the night

Re: Rail Gun tech definitely an Energy hog which complicates development and
    usefulness.
    A Cautionary Note:
    Futuremore-When you live and are addicted by the circuit board you become only
    far too dependent and are enthralled and enslaved by its alluring and questionable reliability and promise.

7. By donald j johnson on

against sailing vessels those tarts mentioned a few weeks ago would be real good with a few mods.
    1 add a contact primer for a flexible payload. I drop and 10 to 50 inflamble darts are suddenly starting fires all over the ship
    2. modified head and sails get ripped up and or set on fire.

8. By Joe Thorsky on

Sounds Bodkins everyone!
    Let’ bring out of French mothballs
    the cold war era infra sound cannons
    and reintroduce employ/deploy them back
    into all superpower weapons inventories.
    Talk about an everlasting Silent Spring, Summer, Fall And Winter!!

9. By Paul Smith on

It’s interesting how fast things change. I was looking through copies of Fahey’s Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet, 1939 & 1959 editions. The first started with battleships, the latter with aircraft carriers. In 39, we had 15 built & 8 building battleships. In 59 we had 10. We had seven carriers in 39, in 59, we had FIFTY NINE! Amazingly in only 20 years the rolls had changed. BB’s were the heavy hitters, now the CV’s had that job.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Paul
      An even better resource for you to examine is
      the Bluejacket manuals for the years as an
      additional aid in a reexamination of the military
      culture as it evolved and has changed in the
      pre/post and cold war eras.

2. By Justin on

That’s just human nature (mixed with a bit of rock-paper-scissors); once the first one does well, suddenly there’s a race to get in on the action. Same thing with trains, planes, radios, radar, tanks, smartphones and 3D movies.

We’re probably going to see another military one soon. Once the Navy’s coilgun is powered and functional, everybody’s going to go from “the battleship is dead” to “we need one too!”

1. By Alexey Shiro on

Railgun. Coilgun (also known as Gauss gun) is absolutely different system based on different physical principles.

2. By William Curry on

The Navy is already backpedaling from the railgun and the Army has jumped on the bandwagon. This has been going on for 30 years. Nobody has a deployable weapon system to my knowledge.

1. By William Curry on

I don’t know that I believe everything that comes out of China or that is reported about China. The US Military has a tendency to inflate rumors and stories about the capability of potential opponents, especially at budget times. Every congressman was a nice juicy DOD project for his district. Right now China is the #1 monster under the bed to wave at budget committees.

2. By Lou Schirmer on

Everyone seems to be close to one, but they never seem to get past the testing stage. For that matter you can build one yourself, given the time & know how. A military grade gun takes a hell of a lot of instantaneous energy to power one for starters. It looks like barrel liner changes would be frequent (& costly). Tracking & targeting a moving object at the long ranges touted by the proponents is a bitch (think Strategic Defense Initiative) & I think may be the sticking point for those developing one. Putting something like that into say a Zumwalt class will probably cost as much as the DD itself & any little twitch & it’s off-line. Militaries like robust, reliable systems as well as the shiny & new.

3. By William Curry on

I think there is a parallel with the pneumatic dynamite gun of the late 19th century. Given the aerodynamic drag on a Mach 7 projectile in the lower atmosphere and the lack of an explosive payload; the rail (coil, Gauss, take your pick)gun doesn’t make sense as a general purpose bombardment weapon. What it does make sense as is an anti-ballistic missile or anti-aircraft weapon. Not only is the weapon itself large, but the supporting equipment, id est generators, cap banks etc. are large and fragile. A cluster bomb or proximity fused artillery will put the land based system out of service quickly. It’s a better fit on a ship, but you pretty much have to build the ship around it and the power plant for the gun is as big as the one to drive the ship. It has its uses but they are limited ones.

4. By Steve Moore on

Recoil and drag wouldn’t be a problem in outer space. Like the Moon; bury the reactor power supply or have a few square miles of solar cells.

5. By Paul Nunes on

The laser has been deployed for AAA, anti missile, and anti drone.

See U.S.S. Ponce de Leon

Lasers will make aircraft obsolete and we go to battleships again.

6. By donald johnson on

// It looks like barrel liner changes would be frequent (& costly).//
            A properly designed rail gun needs and has no liners. the projectile is repelled by the barrel inherently. any liner would need to me nonmetallic and non-conductive lest it interfere with the projecting fields. any gun that allows the projectile to contact the barrel has design flaws

7. By Lou Schirmer on

I should have said rail replacement. Yes they have no barrel liner, but the projectile or sabot for the projectile is in contact with the rails providing a path for the electricity to accelerate the round. A good part of the massive “muzzle blast” is micro debris from that contact being heated to plasma by the massive current discharge. Consider what an arc welder does to it’s electrode & then jack that up to the power levels used in current proto type weapons. Check out “Heat Dissipation” in the link.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun#Materials_used

8. By donald j johnson on

The one that i built had a muzzle velocity of 500 fps and was completly non contact other than the switch closure and i modified that to an scr as soon as i could get one big enough. I used a copper ring projectile around an iron rod. This was about 40 years ago

9. By Lou Schirmer on

I’m still thinking the electrical arc between the rails & your projectile would be eating micro layers off the rails at every shot. Not really noticeable at low power. Jack the power levels up significantly & things start to get interesting. With a non-contact projectile, I’d think the rail on the cathode side would be transferring material to the projectile on every shot & on the anode side the projectile would be plating the rail on that side.

10. By donald j johnson on

On the 1I built there was no contact between the projectile and the barrel rod basically you Magnetize the rod with a large magnetic pulse and the ring is sucks down the rod being magnetized as it goes and repellin it from the rod so it is not contacted. It wasn’t made the same way as the present ones are being done. It was a modification of the magnetic levitation trick but about 500 volts and .25 fared cap being dumped into the coil to energise 1 pulse. It worhed and i was happy with results. Yes not as sophisticated as the modern ones but it worked.

10. By Joe Thorsky on

David B-Lou

My first intro to Gallery came via a bargain bin money raising event
    that was being held for the local public library. A yellowing well worn
    and read paperback edition and copy of Cap’n Fatso greatly helped in
    the further development and refinement of my own unusual and verry
    peculiar and Different Drummer type Sense of Humor.
    (A Definitely Non-Traditional One “Dat’s Fer Sure!).

Talk about some really Bad Timing for someone.
    The Carrier Enterprise was also weather delayed and a day late in it’s
    own arrival and return back into Pearl Harbor.
    So, what if Enterprise was also caught berthed and anchored at
    Pearl Harbor as was originally scheduled and intended on the morning of
    December 7, 1941.
    Or the IJN Submarine picket line blocking MIDWAY Passages & Approaches in
    June of 1942 was established.
    How might, or would have history changed for the better or the worse?
    FYI – Check out Taylor’s archives for various other related Postings on this topic/scenario.

“Because sometimes there aren’t any good choices.”
    “Sometimes you have to choose between something
    (Really!?) bad, and something worse.”-
    A citation from The Seventh Angel, Jeff Edwards
    Stealth Books

The collected writings of the author Wes Oleszewski should also help entertain,
    motivate and captivate you in this awkward period of time that’s in prelude to ROB.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Right with you on the Big E. The Divine Wind worked against the IJN that time.

11. By Lou Schirmer on

With their naval losses to date & presumed facilities in the Caribbean & possibly Atlantic, the Doms may be brewing a “surprise” for the allies, if/when they attempt the Pass of Fire. If I was them, I’d be pulling in my remaining steam liners & frigates & cutting them down a deck or three, & armoring them. The LOT may have even passed the idea on from Kurokawa & the Grik. It would be a nasty shock for the largely unarmored eastern fleet.

1. By Steve Moore on

I’d worry about the LOT giving them an old ship or two; perhaps that’s what the Spanish destroyer was to be destined to go. One iron ship in the Pass, or worse still, a midnight raid on the carriers. Add a couple of crated CR 42’s or similar planes, and the Fleet would be toast. It’s all about controlling the choke points.

2. By Justin on

Enemy surface vessels could be solved by having Savoie/Gray spearhead the charge – should be able to make scrap out of anything short of another battleship or cruiser.

As for CR.42s or other biplanes, I don’t see 400-ish lbs of bombs per plane hurting the Allied fleet very much, even at night with all the lights on. Now if the League brass has been convinced to hand over a couple of SM.79s and pilots, they might be in trouble.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

True, but the Savoie is damaged & currently unavailable, the Grey isn’t in commission yet & the other steel DDs are dedicated to the Zambesi campaign.

Don’t sell a 220 lb. bomb sort. It’s only slightly smaller than an 8″ HE shell & bigger than a 6″ AP shell. Dropped from a thousand feet or more, it will hose any of the steam frigates & DDs & damage or cripple the carriers, which are basically large, slow, wooden, gasoline & bomb dumps. Granted, a bigger bomb equals a bigger boom, but a small bomb will do just fine against what the eastern fleet has. Even a steel DD or the Grey would be vulnerable, the Savoie, not so much.

2. By Alexey Shiro on

//Enemy surface vessels could be solved by having Savoie/Gray spearhead the charge – should be able to make scrap out of anything short of another battleship or cruiser.//

Gray is a bit too light for that – her role would probably better be to lead the destroyers – but yes, “Savoie” could took out anything short of another battleship. Despite being old, she is superdreadnought – capable of dealing & surviving heavy damage.

// I don’t see 400-ish lbs of bombs per plane hurting the Allied fleet very much, even at night with all the lights on. //

It would be enough to kill any destroyer, over-kill any Alliance wooden frigate, and several hits would destroy the Alliance carrier easily. Let’s not forget; the Alliance carriers are WOODEN-HULLED, they have no armor, and wood is notoriously vunerable to shockwaves. Recall what happened with Kurokawa’s carriers when Union P-40 counterattacked; the League strike against Union carriers would have the same effect.

1. By donald j johnson on

against sailing vessels those tarts mentioned a few weeks ago would be real good with a few mods.
          1 add a contact primer for a flexible payload. I drop and 10 to 50 inflamble darts are suddenly starting fires all over the ship
          2. modified head and sails get ripped up and or set on fire.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Tarts are always good with a few mods & drinks! Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Actually, not a bad idea, except I’d go with maybe a 5 lb. bomblet dart with a small bursting charge to scatter the incendiary. They could be carried on internal rails & lever drop a rail (or 2) of bomblets on each pass. 8 rails of 20 bomblets would be a decent payload.

2. By Steve Moore on

Tarts always look better at closing time, as the song goes (Mickey Gilley?). They could invent the Rockeye with mortar bombs instead of one big honker. Or figure a way to make Willie Peter

3. By Joe Thorsky on

Lou:

They might also try to mimic and imitate
      British tactics used against the Ruhr Dams.
      Another Volcanic ashes to ashes monumental display
      and tempest in a Britsh teapot (Dome?)!
      aka & Reference-The Dambusters

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Does anyone have any dams to bust? Or are you thinking “skip” or “masthead” bombing?

1. By Steve Moore on

Didn’t the Airsols use 5 second delays for skip bombing from B-25s? Think the Black Cats also used some kind of delay fusing for night airfield raids.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Yes, or they’d go off under the plane when they hit the water.

2. By William Curry on

Actually it was found that torpedoes worked well against dams. The US used AD (A-1) Skyraiders to take out North Korean dams during the Korean War.

3. By Justin on

But does the League even have dams? Their industrial base (or lack thereof) is likely concentrated in North Africa, and that region’s not exactly known for its vast hydro reserves.

4. By Charles Simpson on

during the inter glacial periods areas close to the Med. were wetter so Dams possible. Again this is something we do not know.

5. By donald j johnson on

The Nile river is one h*** of a water reserve look at the nasher dam presently in Egypt . If that thing ever breaks the whole country’s gone

2. By Generalstarwars333 on

Also the Nile River probably exists in some form so there could be a league version of that big dam the Egyptians built under Nasser.

1. By Justin on

Except that both the Aswan High Dam AND Low Dam are halfway to Sudan. I doubt the League’d be willing to go through all that effort (and possible Grik attacks) just for electricity/irrigation/river calming.

2. By Alexey Shiro on

Guys, please! You overestimated the League capabilities GREATLY! They were around since just 1939-1940 – i.e. 5-6 years at most! And unless they came with the industrial & population power of an industrialized nation – and in that case they would already took over the whole world! – there is no way they could have resources for such large-scale building projects.

Aswan Dam complex was build by the nation with a population of 25 millions with a lot of technical & industrial help from the USSR – the second most-capable industrial power in the world at this time. The League clearly have neither the dozens of millions of population, nor any help from industrial powers (due to the lack of such in Destroyermen’s world).

They clearly have established SOME infrastructure by now – at least basic fuel & materials producing and manufacturing – but they simply have neither time nor industrial capabilities to attempt any large-scale projects. As well as they have no particular need to build a Suez channel or dam the Nile. For what reason they may need something like that?

3. By Steve Moore on

Thank you Alexey. But on the other hand the annual flooding probably makes it terrific farmland. Wonder who’s down in the lower 40…

4. By Alexey Shiro on

Considering that there is still Ice Age in Destroyermen’s world – the whole North Africa is a millions of square miles of excellent farmlands. There are no Sakhara desert; instead there are wide steppe and forests, a lot of small rivers & lakes.

5. By Steve Moore on

Considering that, Alexey, it’d be interesting to find out if there are any civilizations in West Africa. With bountiful farmlands, oil and mineral reserves (remember the LOT is probably full of knowledge of African resources, given their European colonial heritage, from Spanish Morroco to Namibia), that would be a prime expansion area for the LOT. Any Lemurians that had managed to bypass “The Dark” would have been discovered by the RRP. So, my guess is that whoever’s been there has been a longer evolution. Remember the LOT’s meeting Kurokowa’s Griks? Not a lot of surprise, so they’ve encourntered them somewhere else… perhaps in West Africa? Grik maps had those enigmatic ‘here be Griks’ marks on the West Coast of Africa.

6. By donald j johnson on

I would find it hard to believe that there could be any kind of civilization anywhere in or near equatorial Africa that had not been found and destroyed by the Grik. the only reason the south Africans exist is because the weather there is too cold for the Grik. They would be in Egypt but for the Sahara and Nile flooding.

7. By Justin on

Donald, Steve’s talking about west Africa; either because they’ve been focused on the Lemurians or halted by something in the interior, the Grik Empire’s own map stops at Ethiopia and Tanzania.

That said, any civilization in that area has probably been swallowed by the League.

8. By Steve Moore on

That being said, guys, lets also remember that the ‘grik-like’ is one of the dominant evolutionary forms; the Lemurians are the other one discovered to date. Don’s right, the Griks are opportunistic destroyers of any other life forms they find, but what’s in central Africa, the radik-something, seems to eat Griks. What’s on the west African coast could be one, or the other.. or something entirely new. Humans only transfer to DW; none seem to have evolved, probably because intially they all came from southern Africa and have probably fallen victim to Griks’ ‘All You Can Eat’ buffet. We’ll just have to wait for what comes next. Will the Griks retreat into the continent? Will General Pete and Reddy have Halik flown down to Soffesshk to incite a revolt?

12. By Joe Thorsky on

June is a month widely known for all-nighter cram sessions, white papers, final exams and all the fast food, cold pizza, and black coffee that goes with the upset stomachs and all of the High Anxiety psychoticly acquired over Graduation, GPA’s and one’s final attainment of first time unemployment status in a Capitalist Meritocracy.

You Destroyermen Graduates:
    With the likely publication of Mr. Anderson’s ROB now less than one month away; I can think of no better way to spend the time remaining than to adequately prepare and reacquaint oneself for the likely coming and evolving WW I&II Submarine and ASW warfare tactics and strategies that will be developed, conducted and eventually em/de ployed.

The most authoritive reference material and first-hand accounts that I know of that tries to address both sides of this complex topic are to be found in the writings of Daniel V. Gallery.
    Especially informative, entertaining and instructive are his notable books:
    Twenty Million Tons Under the Sea
    A veritable primer on WW-2 Submarine and ASW operations and tactics
    The Pueblo Incident
    The Brink
    Away Boarders
    Stand BY-Y-Y to Start Engines
    Now Hear This
    Eight Bell’s and All’s Well
    Clear the Decks
    Cap’n Fatso
    Worthwhile and Worthy reads all

FYI Taylor//
    Isn’t Dennis Silva’s unusual Darwinian sense of humor similarly DNA/RNA based or related?
    And will the next insertion into The Destroyermen Saga likely see a flotilla of lost/missing Lodner D. Phillips US Civil War Marine Cigar submarines entering the Mediterranean Fray?

https://jayseaarchaeology.wordpress.com/2017/06/06/phillips-submarines-part-i/
    https://jayseaarchaeology.wordpress.com/2018/01/25/phillips-submarines-part-ii/

1. By David B on

another good read that I just finished is All the Gallant Men by Donald Stratton, one of the men assigned to Arizona’s port-side AA director.

I learned some interesting things about Arizona from the book, including the fact that she wasn’t even supposed to be at Pearl on the 7th. She should have been at Naval Station Bremerton, but she collided with Oklahoma on maneuvers so she needed repairs that necessitated her staying at Pearl.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

The USS Enterprise was due the day before, but was delayed by storms. She would have been a prime target & with little armor, full of fuel, torpedoes & bombs probably wouldn’t even be worth salvaging, much less wind up the most decorated ship of the war for the USN. A Divine Wind indeed.

2. By Steve Moore on

College-wise, May is usually the month for that and June a month of frivolity before it sinks in that one must get a job and move out.

Leave a Reply to Matt Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *