March 17

General Discussions

PASS OF FIRE is on the loose!  Get your copy today!

Pass of Fire

Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted March 17, 2016 by Taylor Anderson in category "Uncategorized

4,485 COMMENTS :

1. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

Gentlemen, Taylor, Ladies:

Speculation In future anticipation of Mr. Anderson’s 14th and 15th Destroyermens installments,
    I would draw everyone’s attention and scrutiny towards a fundamental reappraisal, reanalysis and
    reexamination of Reddy’s present paradox driven pyrrhic ‘Battlefield of the Gods’ from essentially a
    Capitalistic viewpoint and perspective. Giving Taylor’s Destroyermen decisionmakers who are now
    engaged in the know business and in the business of do using an econometric toolkit could very well
    change our collected preconceived perception of the war’s outcome and the likely future existing
    state of play both among and between all the warring factions and parties.

I cite for your perusal the following examples from the books:
    Game Theory for Applied Economists, Robert Gibbons, Princeton University Press
    Capitalism A Graphic Guide, Dan Cyran & Sharron Shatil
    Game Theory A Graphic Guide, Ivan and Tuvina Pastine & Tom Humberstone, Publishers Group West

‘Evolutionary Game Theory
    The Hawk-Dove Game
    The Hawk-Dove Game with Small Cost of Conflict
    The Hawk-Dove Game with Large Cost of Conflict
    The outlines and parameters end resulting in a State of Evolutionary Stability’

“Economic control works differently. and to paraphrase that famous
    Salvor Hardin quotation of yours;
    “It’s a poor man’s atom-blaster that doesn’t work both ways.”
    pp 226 Foundation & Empire, Isaac Asimov

“Our course of future history did not count on brilliant heroics but on the broad sweeps
    of economics and sociology. So the solutions to the various crises must be achieved by the
    forces that become available to us at the time.”
    pp 222 Foundation & Empire, Isaac Asimov

“Son, what you’re complaining about is just the way that life is on the earth.”
    “You’ve still got to live in the world whether you like the way its run or not.
    You (just) can’t run away from it”….Daniel Gallery’s The Brink

“Because sometimes there aren’t any good choices.”
    “Sometimes you have to choose between something
    (Really!?) bad, and something (That’s even far!?) worse.”-
    A citation from The Seventh Angel, Jeff Edwards Stealth Books

‘Story-telling is a complicated affair,’
    ‘A man is blind in a trade he has not learnt,’
    ‘A blow for a blow, and a wound for a wound,’—Deargruathar

From-A Miscellany of Irish Proverbs-THOMAS F. O’RAHILLY, M.A.

Crazy Old Soldier mp3 Ray Charles
    Promised Land mp3 Chuck Berry

In Celebration of BB King and Chicago Blues

1. BB King

His Best: The Electric Album
    Paying The Cost to be the Boss mp3

Midnight Believer Album
    Never Make a Move too Soon mp3
    Let Me Make You Cry a Little Longer mp3

Lucille Album
    Lucille mp3
    No money no luck blues mp3

Live in the Cook County Jail album
    Introduction medley mp3
    3′ o’clock blues mp3
    Let’s Get Down to Business mp3

Live and Well Album
    Gambler’s Blues mp3

My Sweet Angel Album
    Recession Blues mp3
    Cryin’ won’t help you mp3

Blues n Jazz Album
    Inflation Blues mp3
    Rainbow Riot mp3

2. Koko Taylor

Deluxe Edition Album
    Mother Nature mp3
    Money is the Name of the Game mp3
    Beer Bottle Boogie mp3
    Wang Dang Doodle mp3
    Let the Good Times Roll mp3

3. The Highwaymen

Highwaymen Album
    20th Century is almost over mp3

The very Best Of Album
    America Remains mp3
    Road Goes on Forever mp3

Time Warp mp3
    Rocky Horror Picture Show Album

1. AvatarBy Steve Moore on

Would be interested to speculate on which the Imperial West Coast colonies would go, given that the Respitians were ready to break for the exits. Given the fact that 1) effective government is thousands of miles away, 2) they have Americans as allies, and 3) they got a BUSLOAD of gold and oil in their hands. Not to mention the whole Western half of the continent.

Just need trains, planes and automobiles. Silva’s next adventure (just imagine John Candy on steriods). But my guess is that Taylor already has a plot fulminating.

2. AvatarBy Allan Cameron on

After I read Pass of Fire, I went back and read the whole series again. There was something I noticed and wondered if anyone else had. There have been no great arrivals from another world for a while. I think there was a reference in River of Bones of radio signals being picked up from a flight of Japanese aircraft frantically searching for their carrier. But not since the Japanese destroyer, oiler and Maru, with the Herring, Horn and Reddy have the Walkers been reinforced. Obviously they’ve got new allies in South Africa, the Czechs and eastern America, and have found things like the Beaufort. Now the ‘axis of evil’ is growing, the Grik, Dominion and League of Tripoli are all pretty formidable. It could be argued, if you’ve read Pass of Fire, that the Grik could well be taking a different path in future books. The Dominion are going to be unfortunate recipients of the main allied force shortly, which will hopefully give them a good kicking. The sheer size and power of the Mediterranean forces however give pause.

The opportunity to find something else, another ship full of crated aircraft for example, has been done. I don’t think they need another enemy turning up, so the Graf Spee or something wouldn’t help. Even a flight of Zeroes falling into the wrong hands would be problematic. As someone else mentioned Walker is on her last legs, and while the new build four stackers, and light cruisers will help, the ship can’t last forever.

Would Taylor give our heroes a helping hand? A jeep carrier with Hellcats or Corsairs perhaps? Even a later class destroyer like a Fletcher? As a limey, its been awhile since HMS Exeter played her role at the beginning of the story. Maybe something from the British Pacific Fleet? Taylor mentioned radar being the Holy Grail, finding something washed up somewhere with a recoverable set might be a boost.

The fight against the odds is what we are used to, Walker and Mahan taking on Amagi, is the kind of fight we root for. However, in the light of the League of Tripoli, perhaps there is something to be said to boost what is a declining and tired set of characters. Taylor has mentioned repeatedly the need for some of the battle hardened veterans to go back and teach the people coming through. After three and bit more years of almost constant combat, sustainability needs to be seriously considered.

The other thing which I’d like a bit more about is the Great South Island. Taylor has mentioned a few times how important it is to providing the troops for the army. Yet we haven’t been there yet. Surely there’s a whole host of new and interesting species to be explored. I’ve mentioned before that a sentient marsupial would be great fun. Koala bears with guns! Or Kangaroos with tanks. Maybe that’s been done somewhere else.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed my holiday in Greece reading all the books, and hope that the next one will be out before July 2020 so I can read it on my next holiday!
    Allan

1. AvatarBy Taylor Anderson on

Dang it, Allan! I wrote a whole, long response to your nice post while I was out chasing evil, feral pigs (like Rhino-pigs):)–ironically with an 1876 .50-95 Winchester, loaded with black powder to .50-80 specs–but cell service is horrible where I was and I just saw that it didn’t land here. Nothing I hate more than trying to write the exact same thing twice, so . . . Great post, wonderful points, and I agree entirely with everything you said :) (Except the part about Koalas. Man, you think Shee-Ree are bad, peeing on everything, I suspect it would be hard to get Koalans to get real frisky in a fight). A late war Brit or Aussie transfer into the Pacific would be very cool, (great new planes to play with maybe?), but time compression is an issue and I already get griped at for how many different groups there are for people to keep up with. Folks either love it or hate it. On the other hand, who’s to say there haven’t been other Brits elsewhere? And Alexey’s Rooskies? (as Silva would say). They could, literally, be anywhere. Not gonna blow.
      Never been to Greece and would love to go.

1. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Well, I’m preparing to fly for Cyprus next week) Not completely Greece, but close enough)

3. AvatarBy Generalstarwars333 on

Right, so I have finished Pass of Fire and I loved it. The main takeaway I remember three weeks after having read it is that the Republic’s new protected cruisers sound like those Italian battleships that had the armor layout of a protected cruiser. Or maybe some of those british first class protected cruisers.

You mean “Italia” and “Lepanto”? They were quite radical designs, yes (Benedetto Brin was well-known for his radical shipbuilding concepts). He reasoned, that since the only available armor are of rather limited quality, and it required a very thick plates to stop the shells from 1880s super-heavy naval rifles, then why bother to have armor belt at all? The super-heavy naval guns of this era were quite slow to reload, and their blackpowder-filled shells could dealt only a limited damage. Brin reasoned, that if he put all vital machinery under the armored deck of maximum thickness, protect the guns with heavy barbettes and left the rest of the hull unarmored – just compartmentalizes in many small watertight compartments – then he could save quite a lot of weight, and his ships would be among the mightiest in the world due to their high speed & ultra-powerful main guns.

Of course, his idea was based on the available technology. Even before “Italia” and “Lepanto” were finished, technology marched on. Firstly the quick-fire medium-size guns appeared, which could devastate unarmored sides of his ships with a hail of shells. Then, French Navy adopted better explosives than black powder and invented first modern high-explosive shells, so the heavy naval rifles became MUCH more destructive also. Then the Harvey & Krupp armor appeared, and it became possible to provide adequate protection with the armor of reasonable thickness…

1. AvatarBy Generalstarwars333 on

Yes. These are the exact ships I meant, I just couldn’t be bothered to look up the names of them.

Actually, your bit about how quick firing guns made that concept obsolete raises an interesting question. Since Amerika would’ve been armed only with quick firing guns, and the Republic is obviously quite familiar with quick firing guns, why would they go with a protection scheme that is extremely vulnerable to quick firing guns?

1. AvatarBy Justin on

As Mr. Anderson’s outlined, the Imperators aren’t really intended to fight – they’re for the Republic to gain enough experience to build and sail the real blue water navy that’ll come later. Unfortunately, it seems the League isn’t cooperating.

Perhaps if they were to be refitted with a 1-2m high main belt along the waterline, just to prevent flooding? Everything above the citadel is theoretically supposed to be a write-off anyway.

“Perhaps if they were to be refitted with a 1-2m high main belt along the waterline, just to prevent flooding? Everything above the citadel is theoretically supposed to be a write-off anyway.”

Well, there were some examples of belt-less warships, fitted with some belts.. Like Royal Navy “County”-class cruisers, for example (initially they have only box-like protection of vital parts, before the war some of them were refitted with outside belts). But I’m not sure that Republican ships would be capable of that. Let’s not forget: Republic have very little experience in blue-water shipbuilding. “Imperators” would almost certainly have problems with stability & upper weight. Adding the belts may just made them completely unseaworthy. If not just crumbling under the strain.

2. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Basically because armored belts are costly. Both in therms of money and therms of weight & displacement. If you could get rid of armored belt, you could put a lot more weaponry, machinery & deck armor in smaller displacement. That’s basically how “Elswick cruiser” was born – as a cheap “ironclad-killer”.

The Republic anticipated, that they would not be forced to fight any modern or semi-modern ships in near future. Their main naval opponents were Dom’s and Griks, neither of whom have any quick-fire weaponry or true HE shells (blackpowder-filled bomb with burning fuse is NOT a HE shell).

So they probably assumed that they could skip the belt, and just went with sloped armored deck & cofferdam design. They did not anticipate the League & her modern artillery.

2. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

The only “official” description of them so far is they are a “kind” of protected cruiser. Which is vague enough to drive us insane. Taylor did give us some nebulous general limitations on the forums a couple of years ago & speculation was pretty wild there for a while. Hopefully this next book has more details.

It does, and there may have been some subtle misdirection from time to time–for various reasons that will also be made clear. Suffer!!!

4. AvatarBy Nestor on

Taylor, just saw your awesome pic of Walker finding the PBY Catalina at the FB fan page! Very nice indeed, Renaissance Man in action! So did you finally move on from MS Paint? :)

Thanks Nestor! High praise from YOU. Actually, it’s Mahan, of course. As for moving on . . . Um . . . not yet.

1. AvatarBy Nestor on

Right, Mahan, sorry it’s been a while since I read that part of the story! OK, you’re getting good results out of paint but then consider your untapped potential when you move to a dedicated natural brush-based app.

I know, I know, and I will. Had to break down and get a new laptop–the old one lasted THREE BOOKS (some kind of record) before it croaked entirely–and I’m still learning all the crap I don’t like about it. I’ll have it all figured out by the time I kill it, too. Anyway, I will get with you for your update suggestions soon. :)

1. AvatarBy Nestor on

Interesting, so if we average your utilization rate down to 1.5 books per laptop then we figure you’ve must have killed about 8 1/2 laptops by now!! I’ll be happy to advice on how to reduce your carbon footprint anytime! XD

2. AvatarBy Taylor Anderson on

I think my average is slightly better than that. Probably two books per laptop. I actually FINISHED 3, this time. Being a heavy machinery, bigger hammer, more powder kind of guy, I think my two-fingered typing delivers a lot more focused abuse per keystroke than most laptops are designed to accommodate for long. Not sure there’s a fix for that since I’ve never been able to teach a voice recognition program to speak Texan–much less Lemurian! I tried them twice, but wound up re-typing everything anyway.

3. AvatarBy Taylor Anderson on

Virtual keyboard? As in . . . it’s not really there? There’s such a thing?

4. AvatarBy Nestor on

OK so the average comes down to about 6 laptops. You’re still eating them for lunch at an alarming rate if you ask me… :) So if you say you’re heavy fingered have you ever considered plugging in an external USB keyboard? I recommend the fancy gamer style ones with tall fat clickety-clack keys. They can take a lot of abuse and are bigger and more comfortable than the rinky-dinky built in keyboard.

5. AvatarBy Steve Moore on

Too bad you can’t get them relined with Word 4″/50 Editomium liners for greater resistance to re-editing. Not to mention the PowerPoinhead preventers to avoid confusing cover art.

Still think you should give Nestor a shot. And Lou the back cover for some plan details.

6. AvatarBy Generalstarwars333 on

Hang on, you’re saying that you’re a chicken-pecker and still manage to type out ~600 page books in under a year? Impossible.

2. AvatarBy donald johnson on

glad I am not a writer. my main laptop is an HP that was made in 12003. it was top of the line then but is a bit lacking by today’s standards. It won’t get on the internet anymore as the version of chrome will not be accepted by any real site and even Yahoo won’t accept it but I got to have it due to it will run the hardware from XP drivers i need and even windows 7 won’t run them. at least it is a 3.4 ghz computer and allows a 4gig memory. keyboard failed but I can plug in a cheep one whenever it dies.
          As far as the stories I found that I miss a lot of stuff when I read but when I listen to the audio books I catch a lot more in the way of minor details so I am going to have to get them from now on.
          Dang but I just realized that I used 6 I’s in the same sentence. Gonna have to improve my writing.

I just fired up one of my old laptops, about that age, looking to see if it had the “original” version of Into the Storm on it so I could find the story about Matt’s dad. Not there, along with some other things I’m missing. I’ll keep looking. The bad thing is, that old HP laptop still works fine. Just can’t hardly use it anymore. And it’s too hot and heavy to put on your lap, of course.

2. AvatarBy Donald j johnson on

Mine is definatly too heavy to go on a lap. 8.2 measured lbs and stand at 6.9 folding it up. Reason for the stand is the 9 usb ports on it. I have 13 TB of HD plugged into it

General Sir, I profoundly resent you calling me a chicken pecker, particularly in such a shameless, public manner! Why, chickens don’t even have such things . . . do they? In any event, I must demand either an abject apology or satisfaction. my friends will call upon your friends and arrange an appointment at the Imperial Dueling Grounds. Weapons will be wireless keyboards.

1. AvatarBy Donald j johnson on

This sounds interesting! gonna have to keep reading on this one

5. AvatarBy Jeff on

We ever going to find out what Vernon Reddy did to win the MoH and get his son into the Academy? If we were told I missed it.

Can’t help but think that ship’s got a helluva lot of mileage on it and at some point Walker going to do what the Bluesmobile did at the end of that movie …. :)

1. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

Yeah, there’s been comments by Spanky & others that it’s getting hard to find spots to put rivets into the frames for repairs, because they’ve had plates replaced & blasted away again so often the rivet holes are eaten out or torn away. Plus the beaten up frames are weakening the ship also. I wonder if Taylor is setting her up for a glorious last effort to end the war, where she goes down fighting? And stays down.

Basically what Spanky said was that they were “running out of studs to nail to,” as it were. They’ve patched her so often, they’re putting patches on patches and the basic structure underneath is no longer sound. Savoie’s tumbling shell tore her up very badly.

2. AvatarBy Taylor Anderson on

I actually wrote that but it had to be cut from the first book. Was a LITTLE long on exposition at first. I’ll hunt around and try to see if I still have an un-cut version somewhere.

3. AvatarBy Steve Moore on

Convert her to a museum/live-fire training ship to impress the next generation. Send her down to Austraal to show the flag/do the bond tour thing. And of course, keep her on the Navy Clan rolls like the USS Constitution.

Ha! Considering what happened to her in our universe, she’s been on borrowed time a lot longer than that, and in “her” universe, ever since 12-8(7)-41. Her pre-squall war record has never been deeply detailed, but it’s established that she was at Cavite when it was bombed and ran the gauntlet down to Java. No doubt in addition to other things, like convoy escorts and sub hunts, she was at Balikpapan and the Battle of the Java Sea, and participated in the abortive sortie in which Houston and Marblehead were badly damaged–all before Exeter, Encounter and Pope were sunk and she was badly mauled during her final pre-squall action. Remember how certain people occasionally speculate that, traumatic as the “transfer” was, it probably saved their butts? Too true. Everything since then (for her, if not all her crew) has been icing on the cake.
        I can actually kind of identify with that, and was tempted to add that everything since Baalkpan Bay has been colorful sprinkles on the icing, but a better analogy from my personal life might well be the example of my old ’69 Chevy truck. :) I used and abused that old truck, overloading it, pushing cows around, knocking down mesquite trees, even acquiring the occasional bullet hole beyond its tenth, twentieth, even thirtieth birthdays and almost a million miles, all while literally keeping it going with baling wire. I never rebuilt the engine entirely, but I rebuilt the heads half a dozen times, the transmission twice, and I can’t even recall how many times I overhauled the carb, rear end–you name it. Finally, nearing forty years old, she launched a valve spring in multiple pieces and blew a head. Her last death rattle moved her into her inactive reserve berth (out in the back pasture) where she remained for a decade, drawing increasingly mournful and sentimental glances as time went by. Finally, a couple of years ago, I shot rattlesnakes out from under her, bug-bombed all the scorpions and black widows, put enough air in her rotten tires to tow her into the workshop/drydock, and started taking her down to the frame. (Kind of like raising Walker after Baalkpan Bay). I spent that winter doing a frame-up restoration on her in the evenings, including a new crate 350, rebuilding the tranny again, even cutting out a few hundred pounds of weary, hole-shot, rusty iron, and welding in new. I probably used less than a teacup full of bondo to fair in repairs, and most went to clean up dents in the top of the cab where evil goats had gleefully capered atop her.
        The point is, she got rebuilt as the truck she always was, no chopping or lowering, and at 50 years old, she’s just as capable as she ever was in my second-hand possession, and far prettier. And I still use her as a truck. Her full-size bed will haul heavier, bulkier things than my newer truck ever could. Yeah, I’m proud of her and a lot more careful how I treat her. Mesquite trees get knocked over by a tractor now. (A Savoie analogy perhaps)? Anyway, that old Chevy–call her DD-C10–hasn’t yet encountered her version of Hidoiame, or faced any number of other mortal challenges, but she’s ready to if she has to, and I’ll fix her up again when she does.
        Wow. Didn’t mean for that to get so sentimental. It’s practically poetical! Kind of reflects how I feel about old Walker now, too.

Speaking of sentimentality over “things,” remember how Silva was surprised when Lawrence took Truelove’s pistol for himself? Silva had really only carried it as a trophy, of sorts, then decided “what am I still wagging this around for?” and started to toss it.
        Discussion question: Was Lawrence’s act (at the time) sentimental, or did he foresee that the pistol might actually come in handy someday? What else might have motivated him?

1. AvatarBy Donald j johnson on

DD-C10 vs the 600 lb pig. that is the standoff to prove her metal!

6. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Just thought about this… the Dominion, potentially, have a perfect way to waltz out of “Lemurians are animals” debacle (which is currently hampering both their military efforts and diplomacy, and quite clearly became a major mistake). The early Christian theologians discussed the possibility of the existence of Cynocephali (humanoids with dog’s heads), and the probability of them having a soul. In fact, Saint Christopher in Ortodox Church was, for quite a long time, considered to be of Cynocephali specie:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/a9/6a/dca96a04de0ce3966b30f3679955cafe.jpg

(yes, it’s an absolutely real icon)

Of course, Lemurians aren’t exactly dog-like, but in theology… who cares? The point is, that Dom’s have a potential way to clarify the Lemurian’s status in their theological doctrine). Or the Alliance may use it to lessen the problems with the Dominion population.

Who was that Egyptian dude with the dogs head? Guy that started the brewery?

7. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Seems to be some problem with Destroyermen facebook group; for some reason it seems that I fell out of it. Could someone re-affirm my request?

Hi Alexey. I’m not directly involved over there but I will see what I can find out. You’re not the first person to inquire—or express concern over the drop in activity. There may still be some technical confusion after Charles passed. I know David Dubois was trying to wrangle all that stuff but he may be having trouble getting a handle on things Charles used to control. I also know David probably needs some help. Like all good bosuns, Charles had some quirks, but he was a damn good and active bosun for the page. I’m not sure any one person can replace him, but I bet David would appreciate some volunteers.

Now I have “The admin has temporarily turned off your ability to post or comment in the group until Thursday, 19 September 2019 at 16:28. Learn More. ”

Strange…

Did you block anyone recently? I saw this comment from the Fan pages admin (David DuBois) a couple of days ago & was wondering what prompted it. “Another quick note, if you block any administrators of the Destroyermen pages, you will be removed from the site. Blocked posts can’t be seen by the admins.”

Hi Lou. I haven’t blocked anyone here, and David didn’t intentionally over on the Association page. Best as I can understand, he was doing some housecleaning and culled some inactive facebook pages. That might possibly have zapped some people, particularly from overseas–again, if I understood correctly. He said anyone who was inadvertently “blocked” can easily get back on.

Sorry Taylor, I should have referenced Alexey when asking the question about blocking someone. It was in reference to the quote from David’s post.
            “Another quick note, if you block any administrators of the Destroyermen pages, you will be removed from the site. Blocked posts can’t be seen by the admins.”
            But you’ve also answered the issue in question, so never mind.

3. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Hm. Not as far as I could recall. Maybe I accidentally tap on blocking someone while I was trying to do something else? My tab sometimes have… issues with pressing the touchscreen.

8. AvatarBy Justin on

… Are Choon and Nig-taak being addressed by their personal names, clan names, or both? “Chack” and “Sab-At” are relatively easy, but the Republic seems to follow a different (or older) set of rules.

Republic naming conventions predate seagoing home clan names (which often add a third designation) while at the same time embracing conventions of later arrivals. Generally only two names—like some from other long standing (or isolated) land homes. Enough time has passed that there are very few naming conventions utterly cast in stone, though Republic names are themselves somewhat different. Unlike nearly all other lemurians, they are more often addressed by their second, or last name—though this is not universal either. Full names are for formal or identification purposes.

9. AvatarBy Susan on

So, what’s the ETA for book 15? I’m going to miss my new friends now.

1. Taylor AndersonBy Taylor Anderson (Post author) on

Hi Susan. It could be anytime between May and July 2020. Afraid I don’t know yet. I will post it just as soon as I do!

1. AvatarBy Ronan on

Well it seems that 2020 is going to be a good year. This is really the best thing I have ever gotten into.

We are fully prepared to wait as long as it would be required)

10. AvatarBy lee on

Dennis Silva prequel please. I would love to read a bout the China Marine days!

Ha! Maybe someday. I’ve tried to leak out enough details here and there to provide a reader (liberally using their own imagination) enough information to piece together much of the story (in historical context) of how a Navy Silva and Marine Horn bonded, And Laney earned their dislike. I don’t know if “the whole story,” from me, would ruin people’s speculative enjoyment or not.

11. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

Anyone heard from William Curry lately? Haven’t seen him post in a while.

1. AvatarBy William Curry on

Rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated. I’ve been very busy with a burner change out project on 2 high pressure D-type water tube boilers, among other stuff. The project involved converting the fuel oil system and burners from #6 to #2 fuel oil.

Sweet. I was getting a tad concerned, what with Charles’ passing so suddenly.

12. AvatarBy Nestor on

Without further ado, here are the 2019 Grim Reaper Award winners:

Third Place – Gone Down With All Guns Blazing Award – Fitzhugh Gray
    “Here Lies Bosun Gray. He Refused To Fall Prey”

Second Place – The Quality Of His Armor Was Not Assured Award – Hisashi Kurokawa
    “Went to Zanzibar But All I Got Was This Lousy Kudzu”

First Place – Most Undignified Death Award – Pokey The Grik
    “At least he died happy”

1. AvatarBy Doug White on

Funny….I liked #2 but #1 was pretty hysterical. Good job

2. AvatarBy Justin on

And as usual, Koratin gets robbed! He’s basically DeCaprio now.

Hear, hear! Koratin’s sacrifice was the hardest thing I’ve written since Gray got it. How about a “left the author blubbering” prize?

1. AvatarBy Nestor on

So it happens that while brushing my teeth this morning I suddenly found myself pondering on how Pokey bought the farm. I amused myself so much I felt compelled to frame my musings in some clever way and share it with everyone, hence the tongue-in-cheek Grim Reaper awards.

In other words, it didn’t occur to me to add Koratin to the list because I felt that his death was so heartbreaking it would not make sense to spin it in some amusing way.

3. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

And at least several completely innocent mountain fishes, let’s not forget.

Indeed. The mountain fishes took it on the chin. By the way, Alexey, I heard you defended me against some authenticity questions on the association page. I don’t know exactly what they were, but it seems like there was confusion over 1st Lt and 1st officer, QMs (and even the captain) at the wheel, and maybe some other stuff? First, I never pretended to be an expert on the navy. I was never in the navy. I do know more about it than the copy editors though, and apparently there was confusion among them in early books about the rather odd status of a ship’s 1st Lt, particularly to CEs who use Brit dictionaries. I suspect they had trouble reconciling that the 1st Lt was not the XO and stuck First Officer in there from time to time in early books. I really can’t tremember but I wouldn’t be surprised. They didn’t much listen to my input back then. As for QMs at the wheel in action—yup. Got that from many sources, especially a veteran of the Asiatic Fleet John D Ford. Otherwise, Reddy takes the wheel in emergencies and occasionally for dramatic license. I don’t know how it is now, but “back then” the captain better be the best ship handler aboard or the crew-especially on something small like a 4 stacker in the asiatic fleet—would not respect him very much. I know the navy is ruled by tradition but many things are a LOT different now. The simple flag hoist bravo Zulu replacing Tare victor George, for example, that I had to point out to Charles. Anyway, I’m not annoyed or offended. Whoever complained probably knows a lot more about the navy than I do, especially the modern navy, but I suspect if I’d committed any really egregious assaults on authenticity, a lot of my “old navy” sources and critics would’ve taken me to task. Hell, Don would have! Oh well, it’s just a yarn. I appreciate your standing up for me but you don’t have to worry that I’ll get one of my four feelings hurt! 😬

Well, I just pointed out that all details that Bill Scanlon (if I recall correctly) pointed as incorrect, are very minor, and represented a perfectly acceptable break from reality) As you mentioned above – in crisis situation, the wheel is grabbed by anyone who could, because it is way better to have untrained helmsman in control, than wait until the trained one could be found)))

2. AvatarBy Donald j johnson on

I suspect that the mountain fish are going to developed a real dislike for any shipping in the future. Everyone better look out.

13. AvatarBy Justin on

Roses are red.
    Water is wet.
    Are we ready to discuss spoilers yet?

Ha! Hmm. Maybe within reason and labeled as “spoilers” and without giving away the ending? Thoughts?

The book has been out over two months now. I’d say it’s long past spoiling time.

2. AvatarBy Justin on

Maybe we start small and work our way up.

SPOILERS

Nice to see they’ve dug the Beaufort out of Madagascar… though I’m not sure how they’re going to build one small enough to operate on a carrier.

1. AvatarBy Justin on

Right, but I suspect that the Allies want their bombers to land on the deck as well.

A B-25 could land on a carrier, barely. The problem was there was no place to put them except the flight deck & they take up a lot of room. They wouldn’t fit on elevators sized for single engine planes, even if they had folding wings. That leaves the carrier limited to a strike role only, since with the bombers taking up half the flight deck, they can’t cycle fighters or scouts. The Enterprise probably went with the Hornet on the Doolittle raid to protect & scout for her until she got rid of the B-25s.
            The Baalkpan Bay class carriers are 850′ long 7 have a 150′ beam. The Salissa is 1,009′ long by 200′ beam. Their flight decks could handle larger aircraft. The flight decks may need to be reinforced for the extra weight, but the main problem goes back to stowage. Their elevators are almost certainly not big enough to handle a twin engine medium bomber. They’d need to get bigger ones installed & the bombers would have to have folding wings.

3. AvatarBy Nestor on

Even if the Alliance built a derivative the exact same size as the original, the Bristol Beaufort’s length and wingspan are only a few inches longer than a TBF Avenger.

Methinks that If an Avenger could take off and land off USS Ranger, which should be similar in size to a Baalkpan Bay class carrier then a similar size Beaufort derivative should be able to do the same.

4. AvatarBy Donald j johnson on

So the need to make seaplane heavy bombers and use the carriers as mobile supply bases

5. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Seaplane heavy bomber wouldn’t be a good idea.

6. AvatarBy Justin on

Seaplane bombers might work… if the Allies could cram several dozen kilonewtons of thrust into a turbojet by next book.

7. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

“Seaplane bombers might work… if the Allies could cram several dozen kilonewtons of thrust into a turbojet by next book.”

At best they could try motorjets. Jet turbines were incredibly complicated technology for 1940s; the durable alloys for the blades only France, Britain and USA could produce. Germans turbojets were so pathetic partially due to the Germany’s inability to make alloys durable enough.

Ah! It won’t let me see all of it on my computer! There’s this big black field in the way!

1. AvatarBy Nestor on

Then try either of these:
        1- If you’re using IE, for example, then try link in a different browser like Chrome or Firefox.
        2- Click the Download button below picture to download original.

1. AvatarBy Nestor on

They’re in close engagement tumbling in free fall from high up so they won’t be able to right themselves unless Chack separates from the dying Grik and spreads his limbs.

Very nice! Reminds me of oriental art styles. Large too.

1. AvatarBy Nestor on

Thanks! Oriental style, huh? Even though I wasn’t shooting for any particular style, as I was wrapping up it appeared reminiscent to something familiar. You may be right and my subconscious was going for an old Japanese block print style all along. I wonder if it shows up large then could it be that it’s size was too much for Taylor’s laptop to handle? :) I’ll resize it if necessary.

I finally saw it. Wow, Nestor, that is very cool. You really got it, emotionally, entirely capturing the “mood” of Chack’s fight at Old Sofesshk. ****Here be Spoilers****

Not only did it wreck his beloved Krag, it almost wrecked him, leaving him teetering on the edge. And when what happened to Safir . . . happened, your painting has GOT to be the sense of plummeting down in bloody, ragged, vengeance against the world turmoil, locked in Chack’s soul right now.

1. AvatarBy Nestor on

Glad you liked it! True, I was so distraught at the hell you dragged poor Chack into in POF it kinda came out in my drawing.

I have to say I give due credit to my wife for vetting all my work before I post it. She can be quite ruthless but gives out honest and valuable advice. Even though she might pick apart and trash my art I still take in her valuable insight. Even for stuff she doesn’t like much (like this drawing) it always comes out much better than if she had not given me her input.

2. AvatarBy Justin on

Eye think the ending must’ve been hard for both of them.

14. AvatarBy Ken on

Taylor

You gotta figure out some way to put the Old battleship Texas in the story and Fight? The old girls a wasting away and needs some life put back into her guts with bilge cats running around there! Let the N.U.S. find her floating in the Gulf of Mexico near Galveston island or something. Those big old main guns and secondaries of hers could come in real handy for Capt. Reddy and company against the league later on.

Believe me. Ken, I’d absolutely love to bring her in–but I don’t use any ships with wartime records. At least not while they’re making those records. In any event, I know exactly how you feel. I was down there looking at TEXAS a few weeks ago, as I do at least once a year, and they were pumping so much water out of her that it looked like they’d just towed her into Ulithi with a pair of torpedoes in her side. Granted, it looked to me as if they were sucking most of the water out of her torpedo blisters, but still very alarming. Everyone there was saying they were about to tow her to drydock for repairs–but exactly when still seemed up in the air. Then, of course, there’s the controversy over where she’ll go after the repairs are made. Personally, I don’t care if they tow her up the Mississippi and park her under the St. Louis Arch as long as they fix her first, and do it right. She cannot be spared.

1. AvatarBy Michael Clitheroe on

Very true a wonderful ship and sad not more of that vintage are still with us. They were such a quantum leap at a time when anything seemed possible.

Perhaps a compromise would be a ship similar to Texas and her sisters that with a skeleton crew came through and found herself helping the NUS. As I recall as developments happened some projects were scrapped or the ships never saw action for one reason or another due to being not up to the job.

Not sure if anyone else has heard of this company but Navwar do 1/3000 scale table top wargame ships and aircraft including Wicks class destroyer’s in pairs and I’m thinking of maybe thinking up mini wargame scenario from early in the series of Novels. They even do PBY’s and sailing ships

“Perhaps a compromise would be a ship similar to Texas and her sisters that with a skeleton crew came through and found herself helping the NUS. ”

Er… they have “Savoie”. She is roughly equivalent to “Texas” in size, speed, firepower. Her horizontal protection is lacking quite a bit, true, but her vertical protection is actually very complex. Dealing with such threats as Griks – who did not have proper armor-piercing fuses – “Savoie” large area of relatively thin armor would work better than “Texas” smaller area of thick armor around vitals.

I just love those early period ships that’s why I’d have loved to see British or French Crimean Black Ships coming through from another cross over or something as iconic as Texas

2. AvatarBy Justin on

Yeah, Savoie’s the closest to a battlewagon the Allies will want or get for a while.

Somehow though, I don’t think the Grik navy is a problem anymore; the war they’re about to fight would greatly benefit from all-or-nothing armour instead.

Indeed. Savoie even kind of looks like Texas, particularly after her mid-life upgrades. At a distance it would be hard to tell them apart.

4. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

“Indeed. Savoie even kind of looks like Texas, particularly after her mid-life upgrades. At a distance it would be hard to tell them apart”

Interesting to note, that both “Bretagne”-class and “New York”-class were the result of similar design process: they were an attempt to put bigger guns without significantly redesigning the hull from a previous class. “Bretagne”-class was up-gunned “Courbet”-class, “New York”-class were the same for “Wyoming”-class. An example of parallel evolution, albeit for different reasons.

5. AvatarBy Donald j johnson on

Taylor probably picked up the Savoy because he knew he couldn’t get the Texas so he found a way around his own rules

2. AvatarBy Henry Breinig on

It’s a shame that this seems to be the case with many of the museum ships these days. USS Olympia, one of my personal favorites to visit, is in a state of major disrepair, even though the museum has put in a lot of work to fix her up. She’s really needed to see a dry dock for decades, but the funds just haven’t been there to my knowledge.

15. AvatarBy John Lyle on

There is one thing g I am wondering about. Grik reproduction. All the grid soldiers appear to be male. Where are all the grid females? I Know they are much larger than the males based on the description of the celestial mother and her sisters. Surely the celestial mother and her sisters don’t lay the eggs for all grik?! Are the females sequestered in breeding colonies? Do the take part in grik society more than the celestial mother does? Since the females are so much larder I would think they would be more effective warriors than the males.
    By the way I am reading Pass of Fire at the moment and I love it!

1. AvatarBy Justin on

There’s been brief mentions of other “breeding females” in previous books. Seems like they’re just in the background laying eggs while the males do everything else.

The real question for me is how they got to that stage. Birds and lizards are (mostly) egalitarian, and the Grik definitely never developed agriculture, so it’s strange that we’ve got this male-oriented caste society here. Even ants have female workers and guards.

There’s actually been quite a bit on that over time, but without a dedicated Grik anthropologist (herpetologist? Ornithologists?) and Courtney somewhat distracted of late, I’ve left readers to speculate on the numerous differences between the three distinct Grik-like cultures that are known—not counting the grikbirds end feral Grik-like creatures in the Americas that no one knows much about. Essentially, the Grik, Tagranesi/Sa’araans, and Khonashi. Some might say four and include the Grik-toads, but their “mother” is physiologically much different. There’s been no lengthy comparison in the narrative for a number of reasons, beside word count and repetitive dissertation concerns, but all the info is there to build cultural models. Do y’all want to play with that, or wait until I (Courtney) has time to write a formal dissertation concerning the subject in his book?

1. AvatarBy donald j johnson on

there must be females running around with the grik armys. there seem to be some references about small gril after a few of the battles

16. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

Taylor

Have finally managed to have gotten unceremoniously posted on Amazon my 4+ star UnScience-Fictional recommendation and review of your ” getting really close”, “just about there” and “not quite yet, almost finished” ready for submission Destroyermen’s Epoch. Your latest continuation and update to this captivating ever-evolving saga “Pass of Fire” is an excellent free-standing worthy example and addition to a Master craftsman and storyteller’s repertoire. Excellence in storytelling here only leads to even Great(er) Expectations for your next installment to overwhelm us and be overcome by. Thus was the probational 4+- Star review and recommendation given.

The unrecognizable cultural crutch of hindsight
    Constrained within the framework of this ever-evolving zero-sum cultural and technological Blishian reality that this world cannot seem to find the means or the will to finally extricate itself from is in itself quite troubling. Our present predicament is one essentially dominated by abnormally commonplace Impulse decision-making that seemingly operates at the speed of unchecked unreasoned carelessness and reckless unchartered undisciplined emotional thoughtlessness. There is no “Hindsight For Dummies” fallback position to go to for answers that can ever possibly or adequately explain a nation’s unsustainable condition or state of moribund illegitimacy. Corrosive attitudes resulting from decades of neglect and the ill-preparedness of failed status quo social, political and economic institutions is a rigor mortis prescription for cultural self-defeat and self-destruction. Decaying cultural legitimation is a tendency not easily reformulated, reinvented or changed. It’s a questionable legacy corruptly left behind for others to blindly reinforce and follow that’s so passively and disquietly certain.

17. AvatarBy Jeff on

Finished Pass of Fire – excellent!. Had to go back and zip through RoB again and typically found that I missed a few details.

I appreciate some of the references back to earlier books, even small ones.

18. AvatarBy Doug White on

Whelp. I just finished the POF and i must say I was pleased with the ending. I REALLY am interested in what Halek will do. Anybody’s guess at this point but Esshk is screwed no matter what.

Was saddened by several of the demises especially one certain Sergeant at the Pass. But how he went was spectacular….nice job Taylor.

Speaking of nice jobs I read the shout outs to us unwashed masses here in the discussions and was utterly shocked to read my name! I hardly ever have anything to say and about the only I have ever really contributed was the class of BB Savoie probably was and kept one of the folks abreast of how few ships were left in the mothball fleet up there in Suisun Bay. I think we’re down to about 4 or 5 if anybody cares.

So thanks Taylor for that and another great read. You ARE the man!

It’s an amazing feeling to see your name in print, right?

Yup! I was struck speechless….except for some odd giggling.

19. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

Taylor, when you eventually wrap the series up, you ought to put out a low number, signed special edition set. Maybe have it come with a map folio.

Actually, you could include large versions of your art in the Map folio also. Maybe add the flags we’ve agreed on here as well.
        The lawyers would probably nix a fanart section, there has been some very nice artwork done by the folks here who could probably be persuaded (with some light arm twisting) to contribute. Alexey’s Kurokawa for one. Nestor goes without saying, since he does professional level work. Someone did a Pin-up of the Queen of B’mbaado. I’d be happy to sign over the usage rights to my Walker & Gray for a nominal fee of $1 each & an acknowledgement.

1. AvatarBy Nestor on

Nothing against the term “fan art” in any way, but correct me if I’m wrong: technically speaking, there is no official D-Men artwork outside of what’s published in the books, which is the cover art and Taylor’s own maps and silhouettes. So unless the drawings we make are directly and specifically based on such then it’s not fan art. So following that premise I could say our work is less fan art and more unofficial concept art.

Could there be gray areas? For example, how about Taylor’s other unpublished drawings posted here and elsewhere? If you base your drawings on those is it still fan art, even though they’re not made available within a trademarked franchise? Am I even making a fair comparison between D-Men and a Marvel franchise like X-Men?

” Alexey’s Kurokawa for one.”

Thank you)

That’s a terrific portrait Alexey! I love the old cameo style.

Thank you, Doug! Must admit, I made it by using the in-game Fallout 4 character design software & a bit of SketchUp 3D modelling for a ships in battle.

20. AvatarBy Justin on

Interesting fun fact: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapis

Long story short, the Ptolemies tried to settle the culture clash between their Greco-Macedonian culture and the local Egyptian one by appropriating their gods. Part of this was combining gods, such as merging Osiris and Apis into one god and associating him with Hades, Demeter and Dionysus. Ditto Zeus-Ammon.

How is this relevant to the DD-verse? Well, the Ptolemies made their way to the Republic in South Africa almost at the start, after the Cats and (hypothetical) Phoenicians/Greeks/Egyptians, and long before the Romans.
    There’s a good chance that last year me is dead wrong and the Republic has some incredibly strange theology right now. Now present me is thinking of a lion-headed Minerva, or a holy trinity based around Ra, Osiris and his ghost (he was killed and resurrected)…

21. AvatarBy Justin on

The one-month mark has come and gone. Free range for spoilers yet, or do we wait a bit longer?

Unfortunately, the Audio doesn’t come out until Aug 13, so we better keep ’em zipped for now.

22. AvatarBy donald j johnson on

I felt the 7.1 and 3 other requests during the night class night and I am 250 miles from the epicenteraway

Glad you’re OK. California is a tad too biblical for my tastes, brush fires, mud slides, earthquakes etc.. Next will probably be plagues of frogs.

Oh. Ah… ha. Actually a good one, Matthieu. I do love a pun—far more than most people around me. I achieved a remarkable pun just the other day and my wife just rolled her eyes. I won’t be discouraged!

No frogs just overrun with escargot

2. AvatarBy matthieu on

Non believers in the holly pun shall all perish in eternal flames (my wife does the same and my daughter too)

By the way, I know why Silva had problems with Pam. He was not Reddy for her…. ok, I know where the door it.

More seriously something that most people don’t know in the USA: the “southern belle”. Here is the pun: if you do not speak English, a French guy will not understand what you say (we always put belle BEFORE what we describe).

But for a French who speaks English the problem is worse. We will understand bell and not belle. The funny part now: for us a really really stupid, idiot, dumb person is “une cloche” which means litteraly “bell”.

So when I heard southern belle for the first time (think Gone with the wind), it was for me “the moron from the south”.

And snails are not that common (let’s say twice a year. It’s too caloric. You always eat them in butter).

Okay, here’s my pun–Matthieu squeezed it out of me. Ahem . . . We had a party here on the 4th of July, and as usual, musketry and cannons were involved. The kids wanted to see a roundshot out of the 6pdr instead of just a blank, so I said “fine, but we have to shoot AT something.”
            The passenger door of my 69 Chevy truck was chosen, it having been replaced during the restoration by another one that wasn’t rusted out around the hinge posts.

ANYWAY, we carted that old door out there and propped it up, then promptly shot a large hole through the center of it. All enjoyed the ruckus, and most were suitably impressed by the gun’s crew’s marksmanship, but strangely, I suddenly felt myself struck by a melancholy sense of loss. When asked to explain my sadness I said: “Well, I’ve had that old truck since before I could drive, and I guess I’ve gotten passably attached to that old door over the last fifty years.” Then I smiled. “At least I still have the driver’s side door. I was always . . . . closer to that one. :)

(I know, I hear e-groans now. But it was pretty good at the time).

4. AvatarBy matthieu on

Pfffffffffff, I’m double-face palming.

Men and guns! At least you’re not an U-boat captain. For them a loss is more dangerous :)

5. AvatarBy donald johnson on

My wife still has problems with English and just cannot understand puns and she has lived here since Jan 1947. and She was born in Paris France. She being Jewish spent the war hiding in various places throughout France hiding from the Germans. She has many very interesting stories to tell bout her life then. such as the time she and her cousin slept for the night in Notre Dame Cathedral because she was out after curfew. the soldiers opened the door but did not enter because they had orders not to ever go inside any church. Back then the churches were not locked at night.

1. AvatarBy Steve White on

Very sad news. A good guy who enjoyed helping others.

2. AvatarBy David Smith on

This is sad to hear Taylor. I know he will be missed. Rest in peace kind soul.

3. AvatarBy Nestor on

And to think that I would pop my head in after a long while to find out how Charlie and the gang are up to then find this!!! That’s just too sad, I’ll surely miss his boundless enthusiasm. Godspeed Charlie, and may you rest in peace!!

Hi Nestor. Good to hear from you. Yeah, losing Charles is rough. I keep expecting him to post “what the hell’s this all about? Computer goes down for a few days and people flip out.” I wish that would happen.

1. AvatarBy Nestor on

Yeah, I know what you mean, still waiting for one of his heads-ups about a post on his FB page. Hm, that gave me an idea: how about a commemorative sketch? If you or anyone here has a photo of Charles perhaps I can use it to draw him as a D-Men character.

That’s a great idea. Sadly, I don’t have a pic of him.

I’ve got a couple of pictures of him. I can send them to you in a Deviant Art note, post them on the DDmen FB Fan page, or send them to Taylor & he can e-mail them to you, whichever seems best to you guys. Can’t seem to post actual pics here.

3. AvatarBy Nestor on

I’ll take you up on the offer! DevianArt works for me, I’ll get a notification. Then there’s the matter of deciding which D-Men character would be appropriate to put his likeness on. Suggestions anyone?

23. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

TAYLOR ANDERSON- DESTROYERMEN  Novels 1-14+
    A Very Pistol Of An Unsolicited Review of Pass of Fire
    An even kindlier gentlier BOOK REVIEW for Matthieu and the Gang
    ELL sir,” said Mr. Dooley, “ I jus’ got hold iv a book, Hinnissy, that suits me up to th’ handle, a gran’ book, th’ grandest iver seen. Ye know I’m not much throubled be lithrachoor, havin’ manny worries iv me own, but I’m not prejudiced again’ books.
    I am not. Whin a rale good book comes along I’m as quick as anny wan to say it isn’t so bad, an’ this here book is fine. I tell ye ’tis fine.” “ What is it ? ” Mr. Hennessy asked languidly.
    “’Tis 4 Th’ Biography iv a Hero be Wan who Knows.’ ’Tis ‘Th’ Darin’ Exploits iv a Brave Man be an Actual Eye Witness.’ ’Tis ‘ Th’ Account iv th’ Desthruction iv Spanish Power in th’ Ant Hills,’ as it fell fr’m th’ lips iv Tiddy Rosenfelt an’ was took down be his own hands.

Citations from Mr.Dooley’s Philosophy by Finley Peter Dunne
    R.H. Russell Publisher New York, New York pub year 1900

If you’re one of those single brain celled and dead pseudo intellectuals expecting the usual number of unabashed and flowery persuasive and praiseworthy and reasoned arguments that would eventually lead you to contemplate and actually consider buying a book, reading it and not be intellectually emotionally and culturally affected and drained by Its contents; then the Homerisque saga of one of this era’s more underappreciated and underecognized of master non-nuclear fissionable storytellers Taylor Anderson is just not for you. His latest work, submission and entry into his ongoing Destroyermen saga- Pass of Fire effectively seeks to chronologize, eyewitness and eulogize the life, death, rebirth cycle of evolution-deevolution that comprise the construct of his Destroyermen culture and civilization. His trademark and patented(pending?) taking of unimportant and insignificant events uprooted from our own long forgotten and disjointed past history and memories as Arrrh refocused refashioned and remade as only can be told through the medium of the science fiction genre is breathtaking and all encompassing in its scope and reach, while sametime being salt-water mindboggling entertaining and appealing to every individual who’s ever been endowed and embedded with the normal standardized on-off, right-wrong, honor-dishonor character traits that identifies us all as human beings as well as welcoming individuals and members of the American Navy Clan and Tribe.
    Mr. Anderson’s own telling in intricate detail and horrorific vividness the sapper attack by the Dorrighsti almost exactly mimics an actual event in our own world that had occurred at An Khe, RVN that crystallizes and justifiably symbolizes the colossal Clusterschmuck that epitomizes the unacceptable loss of wasted lives and unfulfilled futures that was, is, and forever will be the Vietnam war.
    So!, For anyone of you unconvinced doubtfull Thomasses having skeptically read this review and do still remain inquisitive by nature and instinctive gamblers at heart and Arrrh in an absolute need of some
    Refreshing non 200 alcholic proof and are still wanting to work and earn your his-her-it own way from rookie to veteran; then be forewarned and advised to properly requisition and equip from the nearest supply depot the following reading materials and training manuals that will greatly aid assist, and guide you on your journey into, and safe passage through the mindfield that is Taylor Anderson’s Destroyermen’s universe, epic and story.

Recommended Science (&?)Fiction Readings
    The Seventh Carrier Series by Peter Albino
    The Lost Regiment Series by William R. Forstchen
    The Shores of Tripoli by James L. Haley
    The Star Carrier Series by Ian Douglas
    The Foundation Trilogy,
    The I Robot Anthology,
    The Robot Novels Caves of Steel and
    The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov
    The Star by Arthur C. Clarke
    The Stars Like Dust and Starship Trooper by Robert Heinlein
    Galactic Empires 1-2 by Brian Aldiss
    Cities in Flight by James Blish
    They Shall Have the Stars pp 88-95
    A Life for the Stars pp 189-199,200-209
    Earthman Come Home pp 232-235, 254
    The Berserker Wars by Fred Saberhagen
    The Bolo Series by Keith Laumer
    U-505, Clear the Decks, Now Hear This, Stand BY-Y-Y to Start Engines, Cap’n Fatso,
    Eight Bells and All’s Well and The Brink by Daniel V. Gallery
    The Call of the Sea, The Lost Sea, The Distant Shore and A Sailor’s Life by Jan de Hartog
    Away All Boats by kenneth Dodson
    Song of the Sirens and Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann

Non Science Fiction Readings

Mr Dooley’s Philosophy by Finley Peter Dunne
    (A prime candidate for Erasure and Book Burning by Today’s PC Police)

Foundations of the Republic by Calvin Coolidge
    Calvin Coolidge on The Founders by David Pietrusza
    Why Coolidge Matters by Charles C. Johnson
    Why England Slept by John F Kennedy
    Leadership Lessons from the Age of Fighting Sail by Chris Brady
    The Language of Liberty by Joseph R. Fornieri
    The Story of American Aviation by Jim Ray
    Naval Shiphandling by CDR R.S. Crenshaw Jr
    Maverick Navy by Alexander W. Moffat
    US Destroyer Operations in World War II by Theodore Roscoe
    US Submarine Operations in World War II by Theodore Roscoe
    The Eagle and the Rising Sun by Alan Schom
    The Schooner by David R. MacGreggor
    The History of American Sailing Ships by Howard I. Chapelle
    The History of the American Sailin Navy by Howard I. Chapelle
    Lincoln’s War by Geoffrey Perret
    Grant, Lee, Lincoln and the Radicals By Grady McWhiney
    Take Command Leadership Lessons from the Civil War by Tom Wheeler
    Leadership and Command in the American Civil War by Steven E. Woodworth
    Lincoln and Leadership by Randall M. Miller
    Mr. Lincoln’s T-Mails by Tom Wheeler
    Lincoln and His Generals by T Harry Williams
    The Campaigns for Vicksburg by Kevin J Dougherty
    Iron Dawn by Richard Snow
    Courage under Fire by Wiley Sword
    The Navy in the Civil War The Atlantic Coast by Daniel Ammen
    The Navy in the Civil War The Blockade and the Cruisers by J.R Soley
    Cigars, Whiskey and Winning Leadership Lessons from General Ulysses S. Grant by Al Kaltman
    Game Theory 101 by William Spaniel

Supplemental Citations from Mr. Dooley’s Philosophy by Finley Peter Dunne
    R.H. Russell Publisher New York, New York pub year 1900

War and War Makers
    “ Thrue f’r ye,” said Mr. Dooley,” an’ that’s why I wisht it cud be fixed up so’s th’ men that starts th’
    wars could do th’ fightin’. Th’ throuble is that all th’ prelimin’ries is arranged be matchmakers an’ all they’se left f’r fighters is to do th’ murdherin’ An’ off goes th’ sojers an’ they
    meet a lot iv la-ads that looks like thimsilves an’makes sounds that’s more or less human an’ ates
    out iv plates an’ they swap smokin’ tobacco an’sings songs together an’ th’ next day they’re up
    early jabbing holes in each other with baynits. An’ whin its all over they’se me an’ Chamberlain
    “ I’ll niver go down again to see sojers off to th’ war. But ye’ll see me at th’ depot with a brass band
    whin th’ men that causes wars starts f’r th’ scene iv carnage. Whin Congress goes forth to th’
    sun-kissed an’ rain jooled isles iv th’ Passyfic no more heartier cheer will be beard thin th’ wan or
    two that rises fr’m th’ bosom iv Martin Dooley. Says I, give thim th’ chanst to make histhry an’ lave th’ young men come home an’ make car wheels.

CASUAL OBSERVATIONS
    O most people a savage nation is wan that doesn’t wear oncomf’rtable clothes.
    Manny people’d rather be kilt at Newport thin at Bunker Hill.
    If ye live enough befure thirty ye won’t care to.
    All men are br-rave in comp’ny an’ cow’rds alone, but some shows it clearer thin others.
    I’d like to tell me frind Tiddy that they’se a strenuse life an’ a sthrenuseless life.
    I’d like to’ve been ar-round in th’ times th’ historical novelists writes about—but I wudden’t like
    to be in th’ life insurance business.
    f ye live enough befure thirty ye won’t care to live at all afther fifty.

Th’ nearest anny man comes to a con-ciption iv his own death is lyin’ back in a comfortable coffin
    with his ears cocked f’r th’ flatthrin’ remarks iv th’mourners.
    A fanatic is a man that does what he thinks th’ Lord wud do if He knew th’ facts iv th’ case.

Th’ modhren idee iv governmint is ‘ Snub th’people, buy th’ people, jaw th’ people.’
    A vote 01 th’ tallysheet is worth two in the box.
    I care not who makes th’ laws iv a nation if I can get out an injunction.

An autocrat’s a ruler that does what th’ people wants an’ takes th’ blame f’r it.
    A constitootional ixicutive, Hinnissy, is a ruler that does as he dam pleases an’ blames th’ people.
    Thrust ivrybody—but cut th’ ca-ards.
    If ye dhrink befure siven ye’ll cry befure iliven.
    A man that’d expict to thrain lobsters to fly in a year is called a loonytic; but a man that thinks
    men can be tur-rned into angels be an diction is called a rayformer an’ remains at large.
    Th’ throuble with most iv us, Hinnissy, is we swallow pollytical idees befure they’re ripe an’ they
    don’t agree with us.
    If men cud on’y enjye th’ wealth an’ position th’newspapers give thim whin they’re undher arrest!
    Don’t anny but prominent clubman iver elope or embezzle?
    Di-plomacy is a continyual game iv duck on th’ rock—with France th’ duck.
    Whin we think we’re makin’ a gr-reat hit with th’ wurruld we don’t know what our own wives
    Thinks iv us.
    If ye dhrink befure siven ye’ll cry befure iliven.

Note on Recommendations:
    Only a generalized precurs(error) and a quick jump start refresher course of study
    has been provided here.
    Taylor Andersom’s Destroyermen Illiad and Odyssey numbers 1-14? Now Awaits U if U Dare!

24. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

I was deep into POF & was wondering why my page wouldn’t turn. I was tapping furiously on the right side of the page… until it vaguely dawned on me, I was reading an actual book & not my Kindle. Been calling myself a moron ever since.

You obviously don’t have children in school where a ‘book’ is an increasingly uncommon thing. I showed one of mine an illustration of the ruins of Babylon and they wondered why we couldn’t zoom in or swipe to change the page!
      Welcome to the modern world were thinking is second rate to tech. Sorry pet rant. I was told ‘we don’t use book for research as all children need to do it online on approved sites’. I was not impressed, had to be dragged out of the PTA meeting before I told them a few facts. Wife not happy as she likes these idiots.

Anyhow as always Taylor has done it again great read and already looking forward to the next

25. AvatarBy Generalstarwars333 on

Dunno if anyone is interested, but the academic bowl team my JROTC unit has won the USMC championship yesterday. I’m the second from the left for J.R.Tucker, from the camera’s point of view.
    https://youtu.be/3jHKnpr_ES0

1. AvatarBy Generalstarwars on

Thanks guys. We didn’t win the big inter-service competition–I don’t think the Marine Corps ever has–but considering it was our team’s first year of existence, and we just rolled up without studying for it or anything and aggressively winged it, we did pretty good.

No amount of preparation completely prepares for the real thing, but then, the USMC never backs down from a challenge. Just like the Cats, you’re always outnumbered but never outfought. Great work!

A weekly experience. It’s only blood. A few scratches in driving a little closer a little closer means less walking around with the weed whacker. And no leaning out to the side, since then the holly leaves drop onto the seat awaiting the re-placement of your shorts-clad posterior. A wipedown with hydrogen peroxide and good to go.

Now, driving over the hornet’s nest was another thing. Immediate retreat to the porch, and the bottle of ammonia water for insect stings, warranted.

26. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

Taylor–Guys and Gals

Am now in process of slow reading Mr. Anderson’s “Pass of Fire”
    Here’s A Highly Recommended Audio Playlist that further aids in the reading of Taylor’s The Pass of Fire
    The Albums
    BBC -The War Years 1-2-3
    Big Bands 1 to 10
    Big Band Hits of Glen Miller
    Body and Soul- Benny Goodman
    Homecoming 1945 1-2
    A Celebration of Chicago Blues Harp
    Chicago Blues Harmonica Project
    Blues is the Color- Meyer Rossabi
    Essential Blues Piano 1-2

As Expected: So Far- So Good
    Exceeds Expectations!!!

27. AvatarBy Sam Rice on

I really appreciate the growing complexity that Mr. Anderson is showing within the Grik and the Dominion and hinting at within the LoT. It lends a certain amount of credulity to the world the stories build to see that the enemy isn’t a monumental block of evil, but rather a product of twisted politics and culture. Of course this could be me simply showing my bias as a political science major, but as the war draws to an… evolution in the West, if not exactly an end, I see a lot of potential for the postwar Grand Alliance to have interesting internal development and conflict. We got a hint in Pass of Fire that perhaps the Republic’s Senate may be starting to balk at “excessive” war expenditures, the political reorganization is still underway in New Britain, and the United Homes of course remains a very new union. Then you’ve also got the Celestial Mother and her New Grik, as well as the liberated Doms. Based on the descriptions of the Grik and Doms, I honestly would expect their empires to break up into much smaller nations.

The Grik Regencies already appear to act largely in this way, with the Celestial Mother acting more like the Pope did in Medieval Europe, holding the squabbling tribes of Christendom together in a loose alliance. That system seems unlikely to change, at least without significant resistance from the Regents. The Grik really don’t have the infrastructure to maintain a centralized empire as large as their rump regencies, and even if the Allies helped the Celestial Mother develop it the Grik would probably still need a large degree of decentralization. I’d expect the regencies which don’t comply with the Celestial Mother’s reforms to quickly acquire new Regents with the aid of her generals and the Allies, but that might well be the extent of it, especially with the Hij in the old city, and therefore the Empire’s intellectual capital, being so mightily reduced. Maybe they’ll develop into something like the European Union or even a tighter Confederation over time. Whatever happens, it will prove very interesting, and probably leave plenty of vulnerabilities for the League to exploit in the short term. I’m honestly kind of hoping that Halik, at the least, sets up a de facto independent state in Persia. He deserves it, and the Allies might support it as a mildly trustworthy buffer between India/the Czechs and the Grik.

As for the Doms, we’ve consistently heard about local cultures who saw Allied troops as liberators. That implies something similar to revolutionary Latin America in our own world. You might see an attempt at a unified post-Dom state like Gran Colombia from our own history, but it would probably fall apart equally as quickly. The people oppressed by the Doms have been restricted from moving freely for so long, both by Dom oppression and limited technology, that you’ve probably got very distinct local cultures that just wouldn’t mesh well in a national government, especially as they try to assert themselves following such prolonged oppression. I doubt you’d see significant animosity with any break ups, though. The Grand Alliance wouldn’t want it’s bases threatened and the liberated Doms, with the exception of those in the former Dom heartland who seem more fanatically devoted to the cause, would all probably be too devoted to and dependent on the Alliance to risk breaking away from it. The most interesting thing, for me, is what type of government we’ll see the post-Dom states adopt. With the example of the UH, NUS, and New Britain with Rebecca’s reforms they might go for your standard New World democracy model, especially if any Destroyermen tell them about the Latin American republics of their original world, but it seems like the Doms only allowed for limited self-governance at the municipal level. They’ll have to build province and national level administrations from scratch, which is a task almost no revolutionary democratic government has done. With the help of the Alliance they’re probably up to the task, but I wonder if we might see any go for more traditional government forms, with powerful monarchs. After all, the Impies and even some UH states retain that form of government. Honestly, maybe that would cause the breaks between some local cultures, with some favoring monarchies and others democracies. Here’s to hoping the NUS, Impies, and Homes are willing to import lots of printing presses and Spanish translations of the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence! Get the idea of universal, unalienable rights across early and often!

I’ve also had this recurring image of a Grand Alliance HQ building in Baalkpan, reminiscent of the UN building in New York, with all the member nation flags flying out front. Everything from the New Grik to the NUS. I blame that stirring description of the banners Captain Reddy gave towards the end of Pass of Fire.

Something else to consider – this book touched quite a lot on the Vanished Gods and their remaining works, from the locks on the rivers to Old Soffeshk’s architecture. One line especially got to me, about the Vanished Gods entering the air and other worlds. We’d need to see more, of course, but I’d guess that the Vanished Gods aren’t myth, and might have something to do with why this version of Earth seems to receive so many transplants. Either that or they went space exploring! Either way I’m sure Mr. Bradford will gladly tell us more as he explores.

All in all, a great read! Thank you! Reviews and ratings will be posted soon.

28. AvatarBy Taylor Anderson on

Sheesh. The whiners always jump in, and can’t wait to get their gripes on record! Y’all know I always appreciate and encourage positive reviews in the various appropriate places, (if convenient), like Amazon, B&N, Goodreads, etc., because they really do help. And unlike some authors, I never run around begging for them, or generate them myself. On the other hand, negative reviews really do hurt, and in certain venues, are apparently even “counted” for more in their overall rating algorithms. I wonder if that’s selective? Anyway, when they’re sincere and reflect the opinion of the reader toward the story itself, I still just shrug. That’s fine, to each their own. But when they’re written in protest to the price of the book, or more specifically the Kindle, over which I have absolutely no control, (all major new release Kindle prices are too high, in my opinion), and poor reviews accuses ME of greed, for charging so much, I can’t help but take it a tad personally. So while absolutely not asking anyone to respond to such reviews–what’s the point?–I’d certainly encourage you to counter them with positive reviews if you meant to post them anyway. The early days of any release are always the most crucial from a quality perception standpoint, and those early bad reviews will haunt a book forever–just as early positive reviews tend to linger at the top of the heap.
    Thanks all, and sorry if I even seem to be pressing anyone to come to my “defense.” I’m not. But–if you like it–I’d appreciate it if you defend the yarn. Word of mouth has always been the best “publicity” for the D-Men series, and reviews are where it starts. Thanks, and sorry to even bring this up.

1. AvatarBy Charles Simpson on

This was the only complaint I’ve seen on the Assn page on Facebook
      “Cliff West
      13 hrs
      the one thing i do not like about this book…its the small maps.”

Well that’s the publisher that lays out the maps and sizes then not Taylor, he has however sent large scale maps that are on the Destroyermen Wiki you can download or copy paste a file and print as big as you want for your personal use. They are located here:

https://destroyermen.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Images?fbclid=IwAR36uyGZX8fhNexNpTYzww0Rem2KDtHX3XhFnvDni-uZWK48RmTpMJd8J-k

2. AvatarBy BigPony on

The only thing I have to whine about is the wait for the next book as I read this one in 2 days, but I get what you are saying and will leave a review explaining your point on Amazon.

Thanks and keep up the good work. We cannot wait for the next book about the “kitty people” which is what my boy calls the books when we listen on audio together (after I read them of course)

xD

1. AvatarBy BigPony on

I have to work, sleep and deal with the family though. That was about all the free time I had those 2 days I spent reading it 😀

My wife complained about my missing 7 hours

2. AvatarBy Steve Moore on

Waiting to get my copy back from the last Lending Library member for the second reading. Working on my post-spoiler review, already put one in Amazoom.

3. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

Despair not Taylor, POF is listed as a Best Seller on Amazon. That’s endorsement by purchase voting right there. I threw my two cents worth in also, but it takes time for them to verify & put it up. Everyone else needs to get off their… OK stay on your butt & type a review when you’re done reading. Peace out.

1. AvatarBy BigPony on

Just that one guy who continues to think the pricing was set by Taylor Anderson, and despite several people (myself included) telling him that was not the case, he just will not believe it and is the lone 1 vote on Amazon.

I reported his post as he called Mr. Anderson greedy.

some people are just CHEEP. I wish that I didn’t have to wait for the paperback. but i pay so i don’t have to wait and i won’t say that for many others. Went in and found another just released by another favorite and got it as well. Ended having to buy two for the price of one :-) 20% off on book + 20% off on a flyer + 10% b&n membership

4. AvatarBy Allan Cameron on

Put my review up, but it is probably on Amazon. Co.uk rather than the American site.
      Allan

5. AvatarBy Steve Moore on

Damn. Bad word, bad word, bad word. Mail did not get picked up Wednesday by designated household member, and I headed north to the mountains at 3am the next morning to inaugurate another season of mowing the fields. So I’m hoping that ROB has not already passed into the hands of the Lending Library. Thought I’d distracted him with a few Jack Reacher paperbacks, while another member has spirited away ROB, preventing my planned-for review so that I could search for detail in POF. Damn, damn, DAMN.

However, Taylor, your books only continue to get better. ROB was the best one to date. All we can ask is that you don’t franchise it off to a ghost writer, even if it were to result in a New Year’s book to balance the summer solstice chapter. I’m happy, even if it was the Griks that got the bombardment rockets. I’m not going to read any further, here or on Facebook. I’d rather be pleasantly surprised. It’ll be a change from Space Marines and horny Amazons.

PS. Household has confirmed. Brother-in-law down to last 20 pages, has not put down even to consume homemade blueberry pie.

6. AvatarBy matthieu on

got the book today so now i can comment! You’re right the guy is an asshole

more due to politics than nationality or species. If you’re going to have villains, make them detestable as well as complex.

7. AvatarBy Steve White on

Wrote a review for Pass of Fire tonight. Five stars only because I couldn’t do six. Very happy with this one, Taylor. I like the thoughtful pacing; you don’t rush things.

8. AvatarBy Matt on

You just reminded me to post my review. Currently its sitting at 4/5 on Google books. Most are in the 4.5/5 range so I think the score will go up over time as the griping comments are drowned out by positive reviews. I did see some complaining about price and then one about the length of the series….I guess society is grooming people for shorter and shorter attention spans every day. If the story is still moving who cares how many entries there are? Its only a bad thing when the writer(s) clearly run out of ideas.

I also saw your shoutout to us humble discussion board members in the acknowledgments. It’s nice to know that our nerdy discussions are worthwhile and help. Most writers aren’t as accessible to their fans.

Thanks Matt. Yeah, the complainers always jump in as fast as they can, and those reviews can dog a book forever. Even so, I never get my nose out of joint about honest criticism. Some folks like the series, some folks don’t. I don’t like English peas (unless they’re still fresh and crunchy). The canned ones . . . ook. My sense of honor can get a bit touchy though, kind of like Matt Reddy, I guess, (blame it on my numerous “fight even when we know we’re going to lose” ancestors). I do take it a little personal when the criticism is personal, like accusing me of being greedy for the price of a Kindle download??? Sheesh! I don’t have anything to do with that! On the other hand, when an author I like drops a new book, I pay extra for a hardcover or on my Kindle to read it now as well, instead of waiting for the paperback, or the Kindle price to go down.
        As for the “length of series” complaints, yeah, you can’t please everyone and I’ve seen those ever since the 4th book came out. But there are still far more people who want it to go on forever than want it to end. Sadly for them (and me), it WILL end fairly soon. I’m not ready to announce when yet, but I always said I’d end the series when the story was done, and it’s coming to a head.
        As I always planned.
        I love writing the yarn, and I think you can tell it never gets old for me and I never “mail it in,” but I also swore I’d never croak, or veer off into something else, and leave people hanging. Fans of the series who’ve followed it this far DESERVE an ending, and it’s laid out well enough now that it’ll happen without “help” from another author even if I fall off the twig tomorrow. On that you can all rest assured.
        As for the “shoutout,” shoot, it’s the least I can do. How long have some of you been on this forum? I can’t remember when I started it, but some of you have been here ever since! I’ve appreciated the support, historical discussions, technical advice–too many things to mention–and yes, the CONSTRUCTIVE criticism I get here from time to time. Where else am I going to get it? As I think I mentioned, I don’t have a swarm of Alpha-Zulu readers, and usually yours is the first real “fan” feedback I ever get on a book. So yeah, dammitt, I appreciate you all.

Just finished POF. Taylor, my friend, you turned the series up to 11 with this one. And got the cover artist to fix the flag at last.

Taylor: One thing I’ve noticed about the description of the NUS, is that there seems to be no mention of the Mississippi River. From my calculations, it would appear to be the central geographic feature of the NUS, but not much if any mention of it. Mobile Bay got more of a mention. Anything to it? I realize it’s not a strategic necessity at the moment, but following the the theory that the Squall follows metal, there might be a treasure lode sitting in Wisconsin…

3. AvatarBy Ron Brown on

I have found your series refreshing. I hated books growing up and not till a thirty day work up at sea aboard the U.S.S. Kittyhawk did I find reading a place to go and experience. I found Clive Cussler and his Dirk Pitt series awesome for the distinction of adding world places I was traveling to in the Navy to historical events I loved to read about as well. WWII battles, ships, aircraft are always interesting to me. Now I love to read history in most areas favorite being wars. But how this effects your series and what I enjoy is the same mix of history with ships of yesteryear and knowing a lot of what you write about. Your series I enjoy now because of the sci-fi thrown in characters no one could have expected yet very entertaining. I have found only one problem really with your series and that being the same with Clive Cusslers and other Authors I read. I CAN ONLY STRETCH A BOOK SO FAR! 😁 I stretched POF for six weeks and now who knows when I can expect the next one. That 30 day sea period I found cussler books in the desk with a pile of others 6 to be exact. Read them all in 30 days. When I flew to Michigan to see a woman I made a special trip to find more books and bout I believe 5 more of his. Then I was stuck waiting every 2 years for a new book to his series and what he would discover and collect in that hangar at Reagan intl. airport. Yep I have to find another author yet again to feed my hunger and I am very picky and you can only read so much history at a time. Thanks Taylor i’ll Be waiting yet again. Take care fair seas and following winds to ya!

29. AvatarBy Allan Cameron on

Finished Pass of Fire last night after an all day sitting. Great as always Taylor, thanks for the work you put into it. Noe we just have to wait another year to see what happens next.
    Allan

Damn. Was hoping that ‘is’ would be replaced with ‘was’. Ciano seems to have a head on his shoulders.

Thanks Alan! Glad you liked it. Please post a review on Amazon, etc., if convenient. Since most of my “publicity “ has always been word of mouth, positive reviews are always helpful and appreciated.

30. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

How coincidentally reminiscent and considerate it is having Taylor’s “Pass of Fire” delivered
    In the same week that the Annual Chicago Blues Festival is being celebrated.
    In fact, I can think of no better place or venue to be listening to a real authentic Chicago Blues
    Jam session than those that used to be conducted on the fly by the local street characters who regularly used to congregate around and frequent the Maxwell Street Deli’s near Chicago’s Union Station. Pure Heaven was and will always be sitting on a Ford Ranger Tailgate along with one’s fellow coworkers and friends feasting on a menu of Chicago Blues and Smoked Polish or a Pork Chop sandwich. Its the only true antibiotic and curative that there is for revitalizing an ailing body, mind, and soul.

TSk! Tsk! Tsk!
    Matthieu. Mattchew. Mattwho. MattWhew!
    Am so terribly sorry about the late response to your last posting, but family issues have suddenly come into play and will be demanding a lot of my spare time and attention at least until after July 11.

He, He. He!
    If I’m not breaking the rules of the Embargo, I would like to leave you with some tantalizing
    Hints that you may wish to follow up on and investigate once the business of having
    Everyone having freely downloaded and have acquired pdf access to the book:
    How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy by Orson Scott Card
    Writer’s Digest Books-F&W Publications Inc, 1990

You yourself must come to recognize that It just won’t do at all for everyone to be fostering a thoughtless impulse decision-making environment based entirely on faulty imprecise and garbled communications. Whether I’m arguing Friedman and you’re arguing Keynesian when the data strongly suggests Barter economics. Fostering conditions leading to employing best practices should remain the ultimate mission objective.

For Future Examination and Consideration:
    “The Universe of the Cities is full of these Ghosts.”
    “Remember Thor V”
    “IMT made the SKY FALL!”

And so it came to be
    That the children of Albion lay
    Burnt to a cinder in the shade
    Hiding now from the sun
    That only yesterday they so much adored
    And absorbed.
    Peeling skins and aging grins.
    “Mad Dogs” and Englishmen.
    – David Lacey

Later!

31. AvatarBy Adrian Sanada on

I’ve finally gotten my hands on a copy of book 14! I’ve been looking forward to this book all throughout my spring semester of college. Now it’s time to become a recluse for a few days. Thanks for the read, Mr.Anderson!

Great! I hope you like it. If so, please post a review on Amazon, B&N, Goodreads, etc. They really do help!

32. AvatarBy Justin on

Is the Spanish DD “Antunez” or “Atunez?” Found her spelt both ways in Pass.

33. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

Matthiew-Everyone

Mr. Anderson has always demonstrated a tendency to be very unconventional
    in his writings. Knowing of this, how many Traditional Sci-Fi Fantasy conventions
    were not observed or strictly followed according to the tome
    How many can you identify ordiscover?

1. AvatarBy matthieu on

It’s MatthieU. Matthiew is just a mispronunciation from those redneck Saxons that we invaded in 1066. :)

Well about the book, it’s not really a good one and Card is not my favorite author (and his Mormon tendencies are laughable. He can believe in what he wants but bullshitting us with that in books… come on!).

So is there anything unique in the DM? Not really. The mix IS but each element existed.

1. AvatarBy matthieu on

Indeed old chap, as “ressembler” is a french verb (you lost a S somewhere). :)

At least there’s not a u in it for us colonials to exclude..

2. AvatarBy Matt White on

You would hate the way we kentuckians pronounce Versailles and Lafayette. We do hold the latter in the highest regard though.

Can’t be as bad as the way we butcher names here in Maine; VI-enna, MAD-rid, just to name a few. After our emancipation from the People’s Republic of Massachusetts in 1820, they went on a tear naming towns for cities or countries around the world, ancient and modern. We have Paris, Moscow, Stockholm, Peru, Norway, Sweden, Poland, China; the list just goes on and on.

4. AvatarBy Matt White on

We have a similar number of towns that take their name from international cities. Aye-thins is how we pronounce Athens. We also have a town named Egypt but you say Egg-Wiped. As for Versailles, we pronounce the whole word. That gives you 60% more word per word. None of this Versai business.

Depends. We go through this every year. Some call for a month, some for two months or more etc..

34. AvatarBy Generalstarwars on

So here’s a question about the home front. What kind of radio usage is there? We know the union has plenty of radios for military usage, so I’m assuming there must be some filtering back to the home front by now. Would there be any going to civilians? Enough to make radio shows possible? Or are they all going right into the meat grinder?

1. AvatarBy Justin on

I’m guessing “meat grinder.” The war’s consuming practically every resource, and even then some readers aren’t convinced that the Allies could actually field everything they have right now.

After the war though, I’d expect a whole lot of SCRs suddenly flooding the markets.

35. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

Matthieu, Charles Michael:

I would direct your attention to various passages from the book
    War Slang -America’s Fighting Words and Phrases Since the Civil War
    Second Edition by Paul Dickson
    Published by Brassey’s Incorporated 1994, 2004

“Giving Bad Food a Good Name
    Revolutionary War An Introduction of Fire Cakes and Water
    Better as cannon fodder and substitute cannister than as an edible ration”

Another recommended read that may be both instrumental and helpful
    in cramming for Taylor’s Pass Of Fire Release and as a primer for
    any contest story submission for the Destroyerme Wiki.

Can tamper a writer’s Artistic License in a tasteful thoughtful non intrusive manner.

36. AvatarBy matthieu on

Today I was looking for some details about the crew of some destroyers and other ships.

Interestingly I learnt a new meaning for an English word when I misspelled “crew” in a search about “navy crew men”. I discovered some highly creative activities when I wrote “screw” instead.

1. AvatarBy Generalstarwars on

What was it Churchill said about the three traditions of the navy? Rum, sodomy, and the lash? I think you may have just discovered the 2nd tradition.

37. AvatarBy Charles Simpson on

Taylor wrote the following yesterday “… Only 11 days remain until the hardcover and Kindle editions of PASS OF FIRE are released! I can’t wait for you to read it since it is, hands down, the most epic and decisive chapter in the series.
    The disappointing news is that I’ve confirmed what some of you have grown concerned about: The Audio version will be delayed until August 12. The explanation is, through no fault of his own, the amazing Bill Dufris was unable to begin his performance on time. Faced with the choice of replacing Bill or waiting for him, the producers chose the latter–a decision I, and I’m sure all of you must heartily agree with. I’m very sorry for the inconvenience and added wait this will inflict on some of you but it really wasn’t anybody’s fault.”

No change in book and E-Book release on 6-11-19, however the Audiobook is delayed until 8-12-19. I will post the maps and Identification charts from the book on the Destroyermen Wiki [Link to the image page of the Destroyermen Wiki: https://destroyermen.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Images ] Thus you can down load and print larger copies to have to hand while you read or later listen to the book. Taylor also included the latest PB-1F version of the Nancy that appears in the story that will also be posted.

38. AvatarBy Steve Moore on

Just curious. I know Amazoom uses an algorithm on making recommendations, but some of their ‘suggestions’ get awful screwy. Latest ‘Freequently purchased together’ combines ROB, a spaceship saga with Marines and a chick sci-fi novel. Maybe the heroine’s a Marine too (pretty common in sci-fi now) but didn’t want to check to even suggest to Amazoom that I was interested in Hi-tech Harlequin romance. Have reread the series again waiting for POF. BTW, found Doc Stevens was a ‘lowly warrant’, in his words. Lost track of the Warrant Officer thread.

Nice combination on the Walker/Gray DD, Justin. Centerline main battery the only way to go.

That’s true I forgot that thread and that surgeons on destroyers would often be warrant officers rather than commissioned officers as on larger ships. Must admit can’t wait for the new book and am just about half way through my own re-read. My plan slowed down on re-reading as I’m also trying to catch up elsewhere with other books that are backlogged at the moment

Well, I have a ‘lending library’ of three patrons now, so it’s tough to assemble them all at once. Especially when there’s another book due and they’re asking every three days ‘has it arrived yet?’.

Started hitting the library a few years ago just to reduce shelf space prior to retirement in a few years and found that you can get pretty near everything through the inter-library systems. It’s nice to have them on e-readers, but I’m old fashioned and don’t like to have my face stuck in the Kindle too much. And keeps the mix varied. Although as I mentioned before, the Marines seem to have taken over sci-fi. A notable exception is Craig Alanson’s Renegade series, which has an Army/National Guard grunt as the protagonist.

I find it very hard to downsize my library, thirty years of collecting and reading from classic, through military history to Sci-Fi alternate history plus as a research tool for my own hobby writing just would not know how to par things down. And thanks to situation in the UK our library’s are closing at one heck of a rate so I’d no chance.

I think marines are seen as the general workhorse warriors in sci-fi ever since ‘Aliens’ I think if my memory is right.

1. AvatarBy Justin on

Goes hand in hand with “ships” and “fleets.” If you’ve got a navy, you need marines, right?

Thanks, Steve.

Navies need cooks, too, but not like Lanier…

Well, library’s got to fit in the RV, so I guess I’ll have to reconsider Kindle. Plus makes it easier to visit Europe.

39. AvatarBy Big Pony on

I wonder if it has been considered to approach A Company for the possibility of having this series brought to the screen? Like Netflix, HBO etc?

Would love to see Destroyermen done in that fashion.

It’s been bandied about on occasion & folks even named who they wanted to play the various parts. It’d be expensive as hell though & CGI would probably play a heavy part to keep costs down. The problem there is CGI can add to the story or totally destroy the show if done badly. Once it’s out of the author’s hands, the studio can really wreak havoc on the story too.

That was raised when I suggested the same thing. It could be a great idea if handled properly. We start with a normal WWII drama with Walker etc fighting a desperate last stand before entering the squall. Then as the new world develops we begin to meet the new allies and enemies. Before we even meet a Cat we’d have gone through three episodes with the first few dinosaurs etc. once there things will get more complex and CGI plays a major part as with Terranova which went down the pan because of the CGI cost with so many questions unanswered. Still if done properly it would be great with the right cast of course

A bunch of the fans could get together and do some. Taylor can do Silva

40. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

It’s funny how one can suddenly find oneself brooding over and contemplating about some previously unaddressed unanswered and still festering Enigmas, dangling plot twists and midcourse storyline corrections in the Destroyermen saga that have subsequently and inadvertently gotten me confounded perplexed and stumped when it’s this close to Taylor’s Pass of Fire’s publication.
    Consider:
    1 Did the LOT discover the presence or existence of the Pyramids in Egypt?
    2 Were the Lemurians the primary source and role model for their eventual construction?
    3 Was Tabby the role model for the Sphinx?
    4 Did the Rosetta Stone translations exist prior to, or did they come into existence as a direct result from a Destroyermen insertion?
    5 Safely assuming the existence and a faithful rendition of the Rosetta Stone’s translation from Ancient Greek to Egyptian hieroglyphics and, demotic characters can it also be said that there was a substantial Greek and Roman influence and presence that predates the LOT’s Insertion.
    Coincidently with this year’s Decoration Day-Memorial Day observances there also occurred on this same historically eventful day The Sinking of the German Pocket Battleship Bismarck in World War II and with The Japanese Naval Victory in The Battle of Tsushima Strait in the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05.
    Both very significant World historical events.
    A Personal note here:
    There aren’t enough poppy flowers in this world of our own making that can ever match the incalculable human costs that had to be paid for just to keep our humanity from descending back into depths of barbarism and barbarity.
    Remember and honor all the Sacrifices Given.

41. AvatarBy matthieu on

Trivia time n°2: the oldest songs.

Why: we can assume that some old songs remained more or less unchanged in the destroyer world. For example some sailor songs might have remained more or less the same (thanks to Indianmen).

So the topic of the trivial is: what are the oldest songs in the world

1) What is the oldest hymn? Hint: more than old

2) What is the oldest known piece of music with lyrics ?(honestly I didn’t know)

3) The really complicated one: find the oldest military song (meaning used by any army in the world, excluding national anthems) still used by a current army. I’m wondering if you’ll be able to find something even older than me.

You can also try per country: in the USA what is the oldest one?

1. AvatarBy Justin on

Somebody doesn’t play enough Civ6, it seems!

1) Hurrian Hymn No.6, a cult song for the god Nikkal from 1400-1200 BC.

2) The Epitaph of Seikilos, a eulogy from 100-200 AD. Seikilos’ wife Euturpe died early, which inspired him to write a song about living your years to the fullest and without regret… and so he inadvertently granted the both of them immortality in our collective memory.

They have found some very old songs in the sands of egypt, 3000 bce or thereabouts

Leave a Reply to Justin Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *