March 17

General Discussions

River of Bones is on the loose!  Get your copy today!

River of Bones Revise

Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted March 17, 2016 by Taylor Anderson in category "Uncategorized

4,246 COMMENTS :

1. AvatarBy matthieu on

Trivia Time:

1) Can you name the oldest alliance in the world between two countries (without cheating). Hint: it’s strange but it’s still technically relevant.

2) Can you name the second oldest alliance in the world?

2. AvatarBy Charles Simpson on

Twenty-eight days until PASS OF FIRE is released. The cover shows what looks like the Leopardo engaging wooden sailing ships some with the US navy clan flag. See https://destroyermen.fandom.com/wiki/Leopardo Well to quote John Wayne from one of his movies looks like “We got us a gut busting Navy War!” Of course Taylor always says to disregard cover art in guessing he book’s contents. So what do you think will be in it?

3. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

A moment of silence

In sad rememberance on the passing into history
    Herman Wouk, the author of one of the greater WW-II
    novels and film adaptations that is equally on a par with
    30 Seconds over Tokyo (Sorry Taylor!)
    Well written novels like The Caine Mutiny seldom garner
    public acclaim support and acknowledgment.
    Sad passing of a bygone era.

4. AvatarBy Steve White on

We should note the passing of Herman Wouk today — a great writer! Turns out that Mr. Wouk has a destroyerman connection — in WWII he was executive officer on the USS Southard (DD-207 DMS-10), a Clemson class destroyer converted into a minesweeper. That ship served the entire war but had an inglorious end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Southard_(DD-207)

5. AvatarBy Norman Massey on

This might be considered nit picking… but why are there no Warrant Officers in the American Navy Clan?

The only mention of WO’s I have found is the notation in every drawing of the layout of USS Walker, where the space under (and forward) of the #1 gun is labeled “Chiefs, Warrants, POs”. There’s a space for them, but none seem to exist.

I am quite familiar with the Army’s use of Warrant Officers in 1942 – my father was appointed a WOJG in 1942 and I followed in his footsteps (sort of). Long story that doesn’t need to be here. I’ll just say that I was appointed a WO in one of his Viet Nam era uniforms with his WWII era insignia and retired as a CWO-3, so the absence of 1 of “me” (or at least my dad!) in the story offends my delicate sensibilities. And WO’s aren’t supposed to have those. It says so right here on the label…

My knowledge of the Navy’s use of WO’s at that time and place is almost nonexistent, however. I know that they existed but have no clue about there having been any deployed that far from home that early in the war.

To the point: Several Destroyermen characters “feel” like WO’s to me – Tabby, maybe, and certainly the Mice in the later volumes – and Dennis Silva is the quintessential “does ONE THING really, Really, REALLY good” definition of the Warrant Officers I have known and wanted to emulate.

I need to go read that label again. It’s been a few years.

6. AvatarBy Justin on

Fun fact: the Romans of Caesar’s time would’ve pronounced his name as “kaisahr” – it slowly morphed into “seezer” (English), “sehsar” (French/Spanish), and “chesaray” (Italian) over the next few centuries.

Following this logic, the tenth-century transfers – who apparently used “seezer” or “sehsar” – might not have been Romans per se. Perhaps a remnant of the empire, or even Romanized Visigoths?

1. AvatarBy Michael Clitheroe on

That would make sense as depending on the size of the Barbarian invasion and length it took the invaders to over throw Rome they might become increasingly Romanized so adopt their dress, mannerisms and some of their language as happened to some degree in our world. After all many of the Barbarian invasions happened because they were being forced further west by other tribes coming from the east so a slow down in the mass movement could result in a large buffer zone that becomes from contact with Rome ‘civilised’ to a greater or lesser extent

2. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Well, our “tsar” is also morphed from “caesar”, after all…

3. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

Sounds like Imperial Germany’s Kaiser was close to the original from 1900 years previously. Weird.

1. AvatarBy Matt White on

Both Tsar and Kaiser come from Caesar. In fact if you combine the two into Kai-tsar you get a pretty good approximation of how ancient Romans would have it. At some point after the fall of the western Roman empire both church Latin and what would become the romance languages changed their pronunciation a great deal. I’m no linguist so I’m not sure why. But on YouTube the metatron has a video where he compares Roman Latin, church Latin and modern Italian with the same passages. Roman latin sounds a lot more serious and martial than the smooth pretty language we are used to.

2. AvatarBy Justin on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_enn7NIo-S0)
        To my understanding, the Germanic tribes took bits and pieces of Latin back home when they raided into the Empire… meanwhile, the Romans themselves were shifting into Vulgar Latin (a kind of hillbilly version). So the Romance languages are actually Latin grammar and syntax with “Jersey Shore” phonetics, and German has Latin phonetics. Language drift is nuts sometimes.

We should probably be grateful for telecommunications, otherwise we’d have to be fluent in English and American!

It’s true that the morphing of any language is affected by contact with different cultures. Similar to the British like myself taking on Indian words and phrases. Similarly classic Latin rather like ‘Queen’s English’ does not always relate to spoken language. In a similar way Greek when translated from Classical sources can be translated more than one way which changes the meaning sometimes quiet dramatically. For examples the poetry of Sappho can be translated at least three different ways totally changing the meaning. And again the New Testament can be translated differently due to the source material, Aramaic, to Greek, to Latin to modern spoken language

1. AvatarBy donald j johnson on

I suppose one could say that Spanish is a very vulgarized Latin. I learned just enough Latin in school to totally mix up the two.

2. AvatarBy Michael Clitheroe on

That is true. Iberia kept a sense of linguistic purity to some degree so we could say that some older words and phrases in Spanish may give us some sense of how it might have been in a late Roman town centre or market. Similar to anyone who has heard Chaucer in middle English after a while you can feel the energy and form of English as spoken in his time so get a feel of the flow of language at the time he was writing

7. AvatarBy Charles Simpson on

Destroyermen Fan Association Fan Fiction contest for 2020

Prize inscribed hardback copy of his published books, you will pick from a list of available titles,

Deadline January 1, 2020

Write a Destroyermen alternate history story where Sato Okada becomes captain of HIMS Amagi after Kurokawa’s death and arranges a truce with the Americans thus saving Nerracca.

Minimum length 5 pages

Language preferred in English. If not I suggest a language that Google Translate can translate.

It is preferred that you submit as a file either Word or PDF file.
    Submit entries to our Fan Fiction page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/566578383510306/

DO NOT SEND ENTRIES TO TAYLOR ANDERSON HE WILL NEITHER READ NOR FORWARD THEM!

So we may have some destroyermen alternate history to read in January, yey! You could also speculate on it here. Here is my two cents:

How they will get good steel without Amagi to cannibalize. The destroyermen would still have David Elden and probably some Japanese ironworkers. Without the Japanese iron workers no Grik canon, muskets, or ironclads. Probably no Battle of Balikpan bay so Elden will be a major player. Due to Amagi’s battle damage it is likely that that the Big drydock gets built. Hmm, without the shared loss of blood I wonder if relations with the Filpen Islands will be effected?

1. AvatarBy Charles Simpson on

Clarification the prize is only one book from the list.

1. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

So just fanfic this time? No art/model category?

Taylor does the model fan art, and his best answer contests himself, so I would imagine he will continue.

8. AvatarBy matthieu on

Who is the chieff of staff?

Behind this small question I would like to raise an important point: how are you going to organize the high level command?

I’m not sure that you noticed but each country and heach branch has its own tradition. Technically you have two main traditions: the French and the German ones. Then appeared the soviet and the american ones.

According to the French tradition, the commander is in charge of the development of new plans and if their implementation. All departments (logistics, recoo…) refer to him. The CoS (chief of staff whose not the commander but his main adviser. For example Berthier for Napoléon) has to translate his orders to field officers. The CoS does not really plan.

According to the German tradition, the commander is in charge but… departements refer to the CoS (as most of the time the commander was an important but non pro figure). The CoS is in charge of proper planning of actions.

According the the Russian tradition… it’s a mess: basically it’s the French system but with a german side as the CoS is more like the political officer (and you know how complicated it was).

And what about the UK tradition? Well, to be honest there is no such tradition as the army was far smaller in the UK. We can say taht most of the time they followed the French tradition but with some strange habbits (the regimental system…)

And what about rhe US system? Well, that’s an excellent question. At first the US followed closely the French system (even mimiking the departments / offices and giving them the same numbets). The navy used its own approach whith a specific staff intended to plan the next operation (see for example the excellent staff work in 1943-45 in the Pacific). Then suddenly the US system (which was highly efficient) exploded. Currently there is a global commanding branch (the Joint Chiefs of Staff) with nominal command over eveyrhing and now regional command with local command over units. Thus is, as you can imagine, a total mess.

So now what is relevant for destroyermen?

Technically Reddy followed the French tradition… but something is missing: where is the staff? Now with such large operationd we need to see a large planning and logistic division.

I thought this was a recent development over the last three or four books as they have built up the various branches of the logistic as well as the combat staff structure to allow the DD world alliance forces to deal with their ever expanding war. This is one reason I’m re-reading the series to fill in the gaps memory wise from my first reading

9. AvatarBy matthieu on

Black troops in ww1.

Here is a link to a page that does not exist in English:
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/157e_Red_Hand_Division

The 157e division d’infanterie made of one French infantry regiment and two US black ones coming from the US 93rd colored division (namely the 371th and 372th US regiments). In 1917-18 the US army decided to use black troops only for general support (logistics…) even if two units existed as the AEF was heavily segregated and refused to have African-American soldiers serve in combat under them.

As a consequence the 157th division (reduced to one regiment because of casualties) became 2/3 black. It was not new in the French army (because of all the colonial units) and was even highly appreciated by the population.

This formation generated a significant cultural shock to black men: segregation never existed in France. Don’t make me say what I haven’t said: racism did exist but it was completely different. It’s a complicated topic but the main ideas were:
    1) African units were popular and considered as high quality shock troop units (especially if they had French/white officers) and given some “extras” (cloths, more food…). For the French army “as they were coming from hot areas, you need to give them better cloths and more food to allow them to get used to the weather” and in winter some units were removed from the line and sent in southern France.
    2) At the soldier level, as long as you were “in the line”, you were more or less and equal. Thus fraternity really existed between white and black units
    3) What was racism like? Something like “Tintin in Congo”: black were seen as fundamentally good people who needed to be educated to be civilized (it justified the whole idea of colonies at the same time). Some of them were seen as “able to reach high cultural and education level” (and became colonial administrators…).
    4) Specific instructions did exist: black men could become NCS (common) or even officers (not common, limited to company level, and they couldn’t lead all white units).
    5) as front line units they deserved all R&R privileges (including the visits to the soon to became famous BMC (bordel militaire de campagne… google it). Not that anybody wanted to give them specific privileges but as there were no segregation all units shared exactly the same life conditions.

So now I come back to the “US Texas army” in destroyermen…. Can we imagine a small problem coming. Id est… not slavery any more but segregation in the country.

This is something similar with British Colonial forces specifically the Indian army where regular Queens officers no matter how junior out ranked Indian Army officers either British or Indian. This was further complicated by the caste system where the lowest ranking but high caste Hindu would be able to lord over the highest ranking but lower caste troops the British used to start with as few others would serve under us in the early days. This started under HEIC and continued into the days of the Raj.

10. AvatarBy Charles Simpson on

Only two weeks to enter the Destroyerman Fan Fiction Contest

Prize a signed Advanced Reader’s Copy ARC of “Pass of Fire” from Taylor Anderson. That’s right you will read Pass of Fire early, blow at your peril!

Write a transfer story. Yep you decide what comes out of the storm, US warship, Lemurian Love boat, Japanese destroyer allied with the United States in WW 2, a small fleet no more than five ships, or whatever. Met by a Lemurian captain who served on USS Walker or Mahan in 1942 to commanding DD 25 USS Zambezi River (a Walker clone) in 1945. You name your character’s and choose the sex, and how much of his backstory you wish to write.

Minimum five pages on your word processing software, and as large as will fit on FaceBook if you are long winded. I’d shoot for ten or so pages 😉

BE SURE TO NOTE IT IS A CONTEST ENTRY AND HAS YOUR NAME ON IT!
    Enter only on our fan fiction page,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1076206972451470/ for those not on Facebook:

[email protected]

DO NOT SEND ENTRIES TO TAYLOR ANDERSON HE WILL NEITHER READ NOR FORWARD THEM!

Deadline for entries May 1, 2019

I considered doing one but I’ve long since deleted my Facebook so I unintentionally disqualified myself.

11. AvatarBy matthieu on

Translating the destroyermen

Hello all. Let’s imagine that one day a company wants to translate the Destroyermen. What can turn wrong in those translations? It’s trivia time

1) Taylor would need to explain what Silva wants to say. Sometimes I see words together but it just does not make sense.

2) He would also need to explain some puns / coloqualism that only few people can understand (talking about that, do you have a list of Texas specific references?)

3) Some parts really need to be adapted for international audience. So let’s remove Baseball and welcome Football (the real one!). :) Or better: rugby with lemurian Hakas

4) He would have to explain the distance between characters. Explanation: in English you say “you” (well, and “thou” but it’s quite outdated, isn’t it?). But in French (and in many other languages) you can alternate between two choices Tu/Vous (informal and singular/formal and plural). It adds a lawer in the speech as characters can show their closeness by using “tu” instead of “vous”… or to mean a deliberate insult and so on. Before the first kiss Reddy would have probably used “vous” and even after (in front of an audience if he wants to keep the secret or when having a fight with his wife). Something funny could come from that as we can expect Silva not to be able to manipulated effectively the two layers and to mix up his grammar.

So what are you other ideas?

Regional accents is a tricky one. One effective way to handle it that I’ve seen is to replace their dialect with one the reader would be familiar with that fills a roughly similar role in their society. For Silva, he’s from the south and has a southern accent. If I were translating to German for example I’d make him talk like a Bavarian. Or if we were doing Japanese then he would have an Osaka flavor.

Idioms, colloquialisms etc will have to be handled on a case by case basis. Some can be translated and given an explanation in the margins. Others can be outright replaced if the language has one with a similar meaning.

Replacing baseball with soccer doesn’t make sense. Even when translated, the characters are still American and baseball was THE sport in America at the time. Giving them another favorite sport wouldn’t make sense. If you had to change it then it could really only be basketball as it is also a popular team sport in America but still known elsewhere. American football is very rare outside of the states and soccer is growing in popularity now but was virtually unheard of in 1940’s America. The same goes for rugby. To Americans, rugby is football with no pads and no forward pass.

I can see the point over the variations with relation to language and translations from English but I must agree that as the Destroyermen are American and come from 1941 America everything needs to be in line with their World and their views and were they come from.

If our main players had been British or Australian then the overall level of understanding with relation to certain terms etc. would be harder to deal with as most English speaking countries to a lesser or greater degree do have access to US TV shows etc. so we have some broad understanding of reference and terms used. If the skipper on Walker had been a Yorkshireman or Scottish then there would be a lot of difficulty if certain terms were used but as we generally have an idea what they are talking about the Americans are fairly easy to understand or at least I think so

2. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

Matthiu

The influence of culture cannot be discounted or dismissed.
      Casablanca revisited:
      Or “Capitalism.”
      “What Capitalism?!”
      ” There’s no Capitalism being practiced or operating here!”

“Economic control works differently. And to paraphrase that famous Salvor Hardin quotation
      of yours; “It’s a poor man’s atom-blaster that doesn’t work both ways.”
      pp 226 Foundation & Empire

Isaac Asimov- The Foundation Trilogy Equinox -Avon Books New York, 1974

“Jacquerie”

“Our course of future history, did not count on brilliant heroics but on the broad sweeps
      of economics and sociology. So the solutions to the various crises must be achieved by the
      forces that become available to us at the time.” 222 F&E

“The machines in the factories will, one by one, begin to fail. Those industries which we have changed from first to last with our new atomic gadgets will find themselves very suddenly
      ruined. The heavy industries will find themselves en masse and at a stroke, the owners of
      nothing but scrap machinery that won’t work” 223 F&E

“Why they don’t even understand their own colossi any longer. The machines work from generation to generation automatically, and the caretakers are a hereditary caste who
      would be helpless if a single D-tube in all that structure burnt out.” 224 F&E

“To seize control of a world, they bribe with immense ships that can make war, but lack
      all economic significance. We, on the other hand, bribe with little things useless in war,
      but vital to prosperity and profits. 224-5 F&E

Some exquisite examples
      Mutton Chops
      Bathtub Gin
      Gun Moll
      Ride Shot Gun
      Wooden Kimono
      Wear Iron
      Throw Lead
      Scratch
      Pitching Woo
      Pinch
      Peterman
      Pearl Diver
      Mickey Finn
      Jingled-Brained
      Heap
      Hatchetman
      Hooch
      Hammer and Saws

3. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Well, I translated the first book on Russian for my friends. It was… complicated efforts, that took more than a year.

4. AvatarBy donald j johnson on

Well i took the paragraphs at top of this thread and translated them with google to french and then to be really nasty I retranslated that to russian then translated the result back to english.
      Google is getting much better. I can read it still

Hello everyone. Imagine that one day a company wants to translate the Destroyermen. What can go wrong in these translations? It’s time for quiz

1) Taylor would need to explain what Silva means. Sometimes I see words together but that makes no sense.

2) He would also need to explain puns / talk style that few people can understand (in speaking of that, do you have a list of specific references in Texas?)

3) Some parts really need to be adapted to the international audience. So let’s get rid of baseball and welcome football (the real thing!). :) Or better: rugby with lemur hakas

4) He should explain the distance between the characters. Explanation: In English, you say “you” (well, and “you”, but it’s totally outdated, is not it?). But in French (and in many other languages), you can alternate between two choices Tu / Vous (informal and singular / formal and plural). He adds a lawyer in the speech, because the characters can show their proximity by using “you” instead of “you” … or to mean a deliberate insult, etc. Before the first kiss, Reddy would probably have used “you” and even after (in front of an audience if he wants to keep the secret or during a fight with his wife). Something amusing could result, because we can expect that Silva will not be able to manipulate the two layers effectively and mix his grammar.

So, what are your other ideas?

1. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

Donald

What makes the English language spoken and written such a strong and rich target-free
        environment for most unmolested communication between sender and receiver is an
        unbreakable feedback loop construct that makes it virtually impossible for one to restrict or
        to censor. The English language is a wonderfully efficient form of communication that also
        conveys feelings, instincts and impressions more than just words and definitions.
        Consider the complexities and difficulties of dry-gulching and can-opening Limericks
        and Music into the Communication process and you might find far more gushers than dry
        holes for the tank farms to leech off of.
        Some Examples from
        Limerick Lyrics by Stanton Vaughn TJ Carey and Company NY May 1904

There lived in the village of Beaulieu
        A couple who’d gone there but neaulieu;
        Their child was named Vaughan
        As soon as ’twas baughan,
        But, alas, he proved treaulieu unreaulieu

Once a Frenchman who’d promptly said “Oui”
        To some ladies who’d ask him if houi
        Cared to drink, threw a fit
        Upon finding that it was a tipple no stronger than toui.

A fool girl of Paris named Jane
        Once threw herself into the Seine.
        She was off in her head, The fisherman said
        Who found her. He found her in Seine.

They were married in Washington, D. C,
        And each soon considered the other N. G.,
        Where at she fled to Sioux Falls, S. D.,
        While he took his flight out to Guthrie, O. T.,
        And now they are once again happy and free.

Here lies a young lady named Alexis,
        Who angered a mule down in Texis,
        The mule in the fight
        First led with his right.
        Then put in his left on the plexis

In the name of something dinolonel,
        Angelic, human or infolonel.
        Will some one tell me,
        Pho-net-ic-al-lee,
        Why is it we spell it thus—Colonel?

The inventor, he chortled with glee,
        As they fished his airship from the sea,
        ‘I shall build,” and he laughed,
        A submarine craft,
        And, perhaps, it will fly,” remarked he.

A genius who once did aspire
        To invent an aerial flyer,
        When asked, Does it go?”
        Replied, I really don’t know;
        I’m still a-waiting for some damphule to try ‘er.”

We once had a blasphemous parrot,
        That swore till we just couldn’t bear it.
        When we tied up his beak, He learned in just one week
        In the deaf and dumb language to swear it.

The owner of Polly the Parrot
        Swore off with the New Year’s dawn,
        But the obstinate Polly Said, ^Well, by golly,
        I mean to go swearing on!”

There was an old sailor of Crete
        Whose peg legs propelled him quite nete. ‘
        Strong liquor,” he said, ‘Never goes to my head.
        And I know it can’t go to my fete.”

And when Jazzing the Music you suits and skirts get jammed
        Between Two Worlds mp3
        Between Two Worlds Album Lee Murdock
        The Risin’ Canal
        Folk Scene USA Album The Cumberland Three
        The Mary L. McKay mp3
        Alive Album Schooner Fare
        The Roving Kind mp3
        Kisses Sweeter than Wine Album The Weavers
        Waste Deep in the Big Muddy mp3
        A Link on the Chain Album Pete Seeger
        A Company of Cowards mp3
        A Retrospective 1962-1970 Album New Christy Minstrels
        Lizzie Borden mp3
        Best of Chad Mitchell Trio Album Chad Mitchell Trio

Don’t take the Electric Cure. Earn your Case Dough in The Right of Way.
        Speculate and Enjoy.

2. AvatarBy Matt White on

Did wordpress get a little loopy? I thought I was having deja vu until I realized that Matthieu’s comment was somehow appended on to your’s.

yes. as i said i took Matthieu,s original and translated it into french then into Russian and found that google translate does work very well as very little was changed and it was totally readable with no major changes.

12. AvatarBy matthieu on

Hello all

The topic of the day the battle of Bois Belleau.

I want to use it to illustrate what happened from a non US point of view. You can first have a look at the wiki on the topic.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Belleau_Wood

This battle is, from my perspective… a minor skirmish/engagement done at division level but became famous for obvious but strange reasons.

Before
    The US Marines were not that famous before WW1. In 1908 it was even possible for them to disappear as their missions were far from fundamental (from a US army point of view :) ) . Pershing especially didn’t really like them.

In 1917 Barnett (the CIC) asked Baker (minister of war) to send a brigade (crossing Pershing). The main problem was that the corp was incredibly small and unable to create the two needed regiments. The 5th was made of elderly men and the 6th from young men (a lot of them coming from colleges). Pershing was able to take some revenge: the commander of this brigade was Herbord… from the army (and a friend of Pershing) and marines had to use a US Army uniform. Globally those marines amounted to 1% of the total US forces in France.
    The main problem for them was that leadership was incredibly bad. Not that it was lacking courage (for example all officers from a company being killed in one morning), but for lack of realistic training.

On the first day the brigade was able to stop a reconnaissance-in-force (the German offensive was at the end of its logistic capacity). There the marines were able to use their main force: effective and targeted rifle fire.

Two days later they went on the offensive and problems began: they failed to scout the area, to plan an artillery support (barrage, smoke…) and they attacked in lines across an open field to reach a forested area. In 1860 it was a bad idea. In 1914 it was stupid and in 1917 it was a complete nonsense.

Of course the attack globally failed but marines were able to keep one foot in the forest, leading to weeks to small unit action in the densely forested area (I’ve been there and it’s one of the really few such place like that. Think of something like devil’s den at Gettysburg. Been there too).

So was it a success?
    Technically this battle was exactly like other ones fought by other US and French units in the same area. So why this fame? For two reasons: the obvious one is that Marines tried to promote it to defend the corp. The second one is that, for many reasons, journalists were able to report this battle really fast and the location was given. It leaded to some tremendous repercussions in US journals.
    According to a post action analysis from the staff (leaded by Pershing who was really not pro-marines), the battle was poorly conducted, leaded and managed. At the same time the unit was able to remain in line thanks to a strong morale.

And after?
    Just a few days after, marines launched a new attack… with an excellent artillery plan, a detailed study of the area and so on.
    In just a few days the unit was able to take into consideration all errors corrected them (sounds a lot like Kasserine, no?). Thanks to a more realistic training US forces became much more efficient. Leadership was able to effectively use all weapons.

I would have to disagree as to the US marines lacking any use prior to their role in WWI. The US army and military in general faced the problem that in the USA a standing army of any size was often seen as less valuable than in other country’s. In fact before the Great White Fleet’s day there were arguments over wasting money on larger naval forces. As with all marine units their original role was one of armed support shipboard and as required as landing party raiders or defence for naval units ashore. The US marines did a very useful job ashore from the mid 19th century in China and the Pacific as well as providing effect and forces during the Spanish American War and the Boxer Uprising. Yes the US army saw spending on the army as more important but there would always be need for marines. As the French showed in Canada in the 1700’s small well trained marine units supporting native forces were highly effective. The British certainly developed their marines for several roles, Royal Marine Light infantry provided solid land force capability as a artillery and engineer units. And as regards the Corps initial poor show was down as much to poor planning at a higher level and learning from the mistakes the other allies made earlier in the war. What set the marines apart was the speed they adapted and learned from their mistakes which not only saved the US marines but made them a valued integrated part of the larger American armed forces that fought through WWII and beyond

1. AvatarBy matthieu on

“I would have to disagree as to the US marines lacking any use prior to their role in WWI”

According to the army…. not the navy!

“As with all marine units their original role was one of armed support shipboard and as required as landing party raiders or defence for naval units ashore”

Something that they have not really done: on Spanish American and China, they were not used as marines but as landed army units. Technically a marine has to defend the ship, storm other ones and defend navy locations. They did mainly counter-insurgency (at this time, especially, it means some dirty and not to be too proud of jobs).

1. AvatarBy Steve Moore on

Ask any Caribbean or Central American nation… of course, rest of the world were no slouches at invading and occupying, not to mention outright colonialism.

1. AvatarBy matthieu on

You don’t get the idea: marines were not used as proper “marines” most of the time but as standard occupation forces. Any other unit could have done the same thing. They were just convenient to use. Save for some highly specific actions they were never really used as marines.

2. AvatarBy donald johnson on

My grand father was a U.S. Marine. He served in the Philippians during the insurrection. In china during the boxer invasion. And on the USS Helena. He was a gunner using a 3 inch field piece. Got lots of pics of him in all 3 places. He also served on the gunnery range on Coronado Island in San Diego. He was there when the first plane crashed when they built an airport over part of the gun range in 1914.
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157670652381616

3. AvatarBy donald johnson on

I forgot to mention that e was also sent down into mexico following the 1915 Pancho Villa chase.
            he died in 1916 from appendicitis so did not serve in WWl

I do see your point over the role of the marines and the relative difference from their original primary job which in the days of sail was to support the captain and keep the crew under control while providing a trained force to help defend the ship and any shore bases. But yet again all countries used the marines in similar ways to act as quick response ground force. But the best units are those that can adapt and prove their worth in multiple roles

2. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

This is a Great posting Matthieu.

Some historical clarification and contextual understanding of what the political,
      economic and social climate that had existed in the Post US Civil War, Post
      Spanish-Americanand pre-post World War ! is needed. There were other facors
      to influence and contribute greatly to what was to end result
      on the Battlefield of Belleau Wood.
      Lessons unlearned, forgotten and relearned at great human and societal cost.
      Tactics can never adapt to or survive technology. and innovation.
      Heritage and history are the real losers in this unending struggle.

Some follow-up clarity adding to your riveting discussion and debate
        Being Late to the Imperialist Game the role of the Marines was to occupy and secure
        newly acquired Pacific Holdings and the American commercial interests in China-Japan.
        Active Insurrections in Cuba, Philipines and Nicaragua were assigned to the Marines
        while the Army was dispatched to protect the Mexican American border via military incursions
        by BJ Pershing against Pancho Villia and his cadre of Mexican guerillas.
        The start of World War I had found the US a largely noncombatant nuetral power gladly
        willing to be the grocery store and the armament manufacturer/supplier to whoever
        had the hard currency to pay for it (Cash &Carry). The US and the world were firmly
        on a mutually agreed upon gold reserve standard.
        Note: The Federal Reserve Banking Systen was not to be established until 1913 and only then
        after heated debates over the 30 to 1 silver to gold conversion rate.
        Reference: WJ Bryan’s famous Cross of Gold Speech.
        Taylor’s DD History hasn’t always played out without any monkey wrenches thrown in
        to gum up the works such as the non-election of WW Wilson followed by a succession of
        Teddy Roosevelt Republicans. What would the World’s Situation look like to the LOT and
        any new participants and entrants inserted into Taylor’s Universe.
        Heresay, Rumor and Speculation waould defiantly run rampant.
        It;s Getting a little cold out here so I’ll put on my Chicago overcoat and leave it up to all
        you guys to discover your own version of a Chinese Squeeze until The Pass of Fire is
        finaally out.

1. AvatarBy donald johnson on

there were Marines sent into mexico chasing Pancho Villa. I have pics taken by my grandfather during the Mexican incursion. What got me was the arbitrary executions of any Mexican male of military age found that was NOT in the fields. they just lined them up and executed them. That would now be treated as a war crime.

Now there is a thought if Teddy Roosevelt had stood again after Taft and won America might have entered WW1 in 1914 things would have been very different. I did start a sci fi short story set in 1914 with a CSA and USA governments with a son of General Lee as President in Richmond after his charge up San Juan hill with Teddy President in Washington after his capture of Manila. And the French Empire still in place after beating Prussia in 1870. Sci fi as aliens attacked San Francisco and start eating the locals.

Donald:
            The American Civil war had developed and created in a Semi Professional caste of veterans of all ranks and skill sets who found themselves like the BINDLE STIFFS of another bygone era marketing their military experience skills among the various Branches of the US Military. Just as Ely Whitney is better Known for his invention of incorporating Interchangeable parts and the assembly Line in Manufacture of Muskets.
            It is also not very surprising to see an interchangeable composite American Military consisting of former volunteers and draftees of the US and CSA members doing stints in the Army, Navy and Marines in a revolving door manner.

Michael:
            Certainly, your writings and speculation is an intriguing tease of a read while we’re all suffering-awaiting Taylor’s Pass Of Fire. I only brought the subject of possible cultural modification and contamination and the possible resulting consequence that could come Into play as a way of avoiding any Taylored misdirected monkey wrenches from being thrown about.
            Reality Today is confusing enough. No Eggs in the Coffee Here.

13. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Just a thought. How good exactly are Union pilots, considering their abnormally high losses rate, in comparison to our world?

After all, in Destroyermen’s world, any pilot who is shot down over the sea have very little chances to survive. And over land isn’t much better, actually. Any pilot evacuation service would be almost completely ineffective (unless the pilot was shot down in very close proximity to the allied forces).

And the reliability of Union-build planes probably isn’t impressive also.

So, basically, the Union flying corps could not maintain any significant level of experience, since the plane losses & pilot losses are almost 1:1. The pilots are quickly spent, almost on the level of being “disposable”.

1. AvatarBy Justin on

It’s not like there’s a 99% casualty rate. The Cats that come back (Tikkar, Shirley, whole lot of others) definitely learn – they just need to get rotated back to the Baalkpan ATC every now and then.

If they don’t though, there’s definitely a risk of the UHAF turning into the Luftwaffe or IJAAS: greenhorns with a tiny core of shellshocked aces.

1. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Agreed that they have SOME veterans back, but problem is, that the system as whole is very unforgiving for rookies. Basically, the Alliance air forces would probably really look more like Japanese – a small core of aces who are good enough to NOT being shoot, and a majority of fresh pilots, most of whom would not survive for long.

1. AvatarBy Justin on

That’s war in general, though – best they can do is send a couple of vets home to give the trainees better instruction. Now that the P-40s are pretty much spent, maybe it’s a good time for Shirley to go on vacation.

2. AvatarBy Steve Moore on

More like the Royal Flying Corps in WW1; a modicum of training, then into the fight. By comparison, the Luftwaffe and IJAAS had a progression of training, from basic to advance. OK, so it got cut a little shorter in 1944…

Maybe its time to build some PT-1’s now that they have the power to carry two crew

14. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

Taylor
    Given that the current Destroyermen’s Universe remains relatively unexplored and unmapped
    (Celestial navigation using GPS being nonexistent). Shouldn’t tried and true olde fashioned navigational aids such as Buoy Tenders, Lightships and Lighthouses get and receive more attention or at least a prominent mention in any future Destroyermen volumes?
    Have you planned or scheduled out an intinary for a nationwide book tour once Pass of Fire is released and will you provide a heads up to everyone?

Well, they probably would start to tinker with radio beacon navigation soon enough. Especially for planes. You definitely do NOT be lost over Destroyermen’s world wilderness or ocean…

2. AvatarBy Justin on

The various civs have been around for centuries or longer, so I’d be genuinely surprised if they don’t have strings of lighthouses all over the place. The Republic might even have built a Colossus of Alex-aandra.

Knowing that the ancient enemy was around and might follow them i would doubt that there are any lighthouses other than at the entrance to a major harbor.

15. AvatarBy Joseph R. Thorsky on

Taylor-Guy and Gals
    It certainly looks like I’ve managed to survive everything elderly mother nature has thrown at me since my last series of writings in late November-December of last year. Now that we’ve actually occupied this new “Blishonian” Brave New World and its around the clock Perpetual Surveillance State that we’ve accidently found ourselves stumbling, ensnared by and entrapped in;
    Location, Timing and a bit o’ a little Irishman’s luck and Polish Preserverence becomes of paramount importance after all of the artic winds, monsoon rains, blizzardy snows, black Ice with the occasional tornado become a constant reminder of and a monument to our own individual fragility, fraility and failings.
    It certainly looks like I’ll have something positive to report on when Taylor’s Pass of Fire finally escapes from its Publishers in June.
    Other Casulties of minor importance whose accumulated data was almost lost to the ages are the three laptop computers whose mother boards and batteries froze to their untimely and unfortunate deaths may they acursedly Rest in Pieces..

https://rhapsodyinbooks.wordpress.com/2009/04/10/april-10-1865-president-lincoln-asks-the-band-to-play-dixie/

General Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant on April 9, 1865. When the news came to Washington, D.C., some 3,000 people took to the streets of Washington, D.C. to celebrate. Crowds serenaded President Lincoln throughout the day. “At length,” wrote a reporter for the Washington paper Daily National Intelligencer, “after persistent effort, the presence of Mr. Lincoln was secured. Three loud and hearty cheers were given, after which the President said:
    ‘FELLOW CITIZENS: I am very greatly rejoiced to find that an occasion has occurred so pleasurable that the people cannot restrain themselves. [Cheers.] I suppose that arrangements are being made for some sort of a formal demonstration, this, or perhaps, to-morrow night. [Cries of `We can’t wait,’ `We want it now,’ &c.] If there should be such a demonstration, I, of course, will be called upon to respond, and I shall have nothing to say if you dribble it all out of me before. [Laughter and applause.] I see you have a band of music with you. [Vocies, `We have two or three.’] I propose closing up this interview by the band performing a particular tune which I will name. Before this is done, however, I wish to mention one or two little circumstances connected with it. I have always thought `Dixie’ one of the best tunes I have ever heard. Our adversaries over the way attempted to appropriate it, but I insisted yesterday that we fairly captured it. [Applause.] I presented the question to the Attorney General, and he gave it as his legal opinion that it is our lawful prize. [Laughter and applause.] I now request the band to favor me with its performance.’”
    As the paper further recorded:In accordance with the request, the band struck up `Dixie,’ and at its conclusion played `Yankee Doodle,’ the President remaining at the window mean-while. The President then said: `Now give three good hearty cheers for General Grant and all under his command.’ These were given with a will, after which Mr. Lincoln requested `three more cheers for our gallant Navy,’ which request was also readily granted. The President then disappeared from the window, amid the cheers of those below. The crowd then moved back to the War Department, and loud calls were again made for Secretary Stanton.”
    Less than a week later, Lincoln was dead.

In Honor of Opening Day for Chicago Baseball and Chicago’s sordid past.
    AKA-Google Greylord and the Federal Reserve’s Air Force
    Appropriate Musical Selections for an April 1 Day:
    Waist Deep in the Big Muddy mp3-Pete Seeger-A Link in the Chain
    The Hotel Room mp3-Steve Goodman-No Big Surprise Anthology
    Go Cubs Go mp3-Steve Goodman-No Big Surprise Anthology
    A Dying Cubs Fan’s Last Request mp3-Steve Goodman-No Big Surprise Anthology
    Watchin’ Joey Glow mp3- Steve Goodman-No Big Surprise Anthology
    Vegematic mp3-Steve Goodman-No Big Surprise Anthology
    Lincoln Park Pirates mp3-Steve Goodman-No Big Surprise Anthology
    Souvenirs mp3-Steve Goodman-No Big Surprise Anthology
    I’m Gonna Tell God mp3 -Gibson and Camp-Gibson and Camp Revisited
    You Can Tell The World mp3-Gibson and Camp-Gibson and Camp Revisited
    Chicago Cops mp3-Gibson and Camp-Gibson and Camp Revisited
    Scuttlebutt mp3 Schooner Fare-Our Maine Songs
    Harry Pollitt mp3-The Limeliters-The Slightly Fabulous Limeliters
    Marvin mp3-The Limeliters-The Slightly Fabulous Limeliters
    Johosephat mp3-The Limeliters-The Slightly Fabulous Limeliters
    Lizzie Bordon mp3-The Limeliters-Mighty Day
    Whup! Jamboree mp3 The Limeliters- Mighty Day
    Simking of the Reuban James-The Limeliters-Mighty Day
    Company of Cowards mp3- New Christy Minstrels Retrospective 1962-70
    Denver mp3- New Christy Minstrels Retrospective 1962-70
    Idiot mp3- Stan Rogers-Northwest Passage
    Lies mp3-Stan Rogers- Northwest Passage
    Plastic mp3-Serendipity Singers-
    Coal Tattoo mp3-Brandywine Singers-World Class Folk
    Great Lakes Fishermen mp3-Carl Behrend-More Legends of the Great Lakes
    Dan Sceavy; The Great Lakes Pirate mp3 Carl Behrend- More Legends of the Great Lakes
    Coal by the Sea mp3-Men of the Deeps- A Taste of Atlantic Canada
    High Germany mp3- Quigley Ensemble- A Taste of Atlantic Canada
    As Long as There is Sail mp3-McGinty- A Taste of Atlantic Canada
    Headin; for Halifax mp3-Brakin Tradition- A taste of Atlantic Canada
    Rollin’ on the Sea mp3- Brakin Tradition- Souls of the Sea
    High and Dry mp3 Gordon Lightfoot- Sundown
    Seven Island Suite mp3-Gordon Lightfoot-Sundown
    The Watchman’s Gone mp3-Gordon Lightfoot -Sundown
    Summer Side of Life mp3-Gordon Lightfoot-Summer Side of Life
    10 Degrees and Getting Colder mp3-Gordon Lightfoot-Summer Side of Life
    Jericho mp3 Gordon Bok- Schooner
    Dear Old Vessels mp3 Gordon Bok-Schooner
    The Thresher mp3- Dan Furmanik- Titanic Epic Songs of the Sea
    Bayou Sara mp3-Cathy Barton-Dave Para- 20th Annual sea music Festival
    Anchor Blues mp3- Souls of the Sea- Souls of the Sea
    White Squall mp3- Lee Murdock- Safe in The Harbor
    Safe in the Harbor mp3- Lee Murdock- Safe in the Harbor
    The Downtowner Motel mp3-Lee Murdock- Safe in the Harbor
    Charles Conrad on the SS Badger-Lee Murdock-Here We’ll Stand
    Arligton mp3 Waillin Jennys-40 Days

Outside the Box Videos needed to prepare one for Taylor’s Pass of Fire release
    1 Atomic Submarine and Construction of OIL-LNG Nuclear powered Tankers
    2 Ernest Gann Song of the Sirens-High and the Mighty Fate is the Hunter book-movie
    Daniel Galley’s Capt Fatso-Clear the Decks-Eight Bells-The Brink-U-505-
    Staand By to Start Engines and Now Hear This books
    3 The Capt Storm -Haunted Tank comic book series
    4 Prop Wash-There I Was 25 years-More There I was -Bob Stevens
    5 The U-boat Wars-The Kamikazes by Edwin P Hoyt
    6 Navel Warfare in World War II-Seasons 1-2 Victory at Sea series remastered
    7 Thunder Below-USS Barb by Eugene B Flukey
    8 O Gods of Battles, Silent Sea and Final Harbor by Harry Homewood
    9 Animes- Girly Air Force- Yukikaze-Heavy Object (Bolos Anyone)-ROD- Maico 2010-
    Mu Luv Alternative:Total Eclipse and Spice And Wolf Seasons 1-2
    Finally
    How Many Next Years do you Get in Baseball and Skyler goes to Boot Camp- Jeff MacNeely
    Later Everyone

16. AvatarBy Frederick Smith on

I’ve been re-reading the series and some of the statements in River of Bones and its predecessor lead me to believe that the League of Tripoli is not treating its navy very well. The U-boat is described as short of parts, Savio is described as ‘well maintained in some areas and not in others’, and the cruiser sent to the Dominion has its regular oiler replaced by a ‘rusty Spanish oiler’. This leads me to the conclusion that the League has total control of the Mediteranian and has let the maintanence on its naval assets lapse. This would only happen if it’s problems (and they do seem to have some) are mostly land based. So while their naval forces were originally quiet formidable, they are now not quiet so formidable as they should be. However, since we still do not know the makeup of the Leagues naval forces, this conclusion should not be taken to mean they would be pushover.

Certainly possible, however the way I’ve been interpreting it is that they are using their less valuable assets as more expendable. Savoie is powerful as a battleship but is also old and was due for a refit before coming to this world. They probably consider it more trouble than its worth to keep it. An enticing prize for Kurokawa but useless to the league’s long term plans. I expect they have more modern BB’s in better repair.

Just because a ship is powerful on paper does not mean its worthwhile to keep around. If its unique in some strange way or old and worn out then it becomes a logistical liability. Since they likely operate as a form of military oligarchy there isn’t economic value in scrapping them. Who would they sell the scrapping rights to? Using them in high risk / high reward situations is probably the best way to employ them. What they didn’t expect was that the Union would capture Savoie intact and that the Uboat would defect.

This does make sense. If we assume the Royal Navy of the League’s original earth was similar to that in our first half the 20th century the enemy would need a powerful force with capital ship’s far more powerful than Savole to match the British fleet in total numbers and fire power. Plus if the war was building up for sometime and the British still had their same Empire and Commonwealth with no other major enemy then many more ships could back up the mother country forces. So yes maybe the League leadership felt the forces could be committed with little loss if all went badly plus if the League is in a major standoff in the Med. with some other unknown force they may only be able to commit limited forces to interfere elsewhere out of their main ‘home’ waters

Sort of like going to the junkyard to look for Studebaker parts.

17. AvatarBy donald j johnson on

I have posted a Short story on the destroyermen writing site. I invite all (except Taylor due to his rules) to preview and comment there.
    If you like it I may continue it because it really is not finished.

18. AvatarBy Michael Clitheroe on

I suspect this might have been raised before but am I the only one who thinks the books would make a great TV or film series. With the improvements motion capture etc (see the new planet of the apes films) the Grik and Cats would be far more than just actors in heavy layers of make up etc. Of course any series needs the right actors to make it work no matter how good the source material is

As a follow up I have started to think about you should play the various main characters. For the Cats and Grik it’s about the voices mainly as CGI will take up the rest of the physical requirements. But for the human’s who would best meet the descriptions as provided by Taylor in the books.

For his sheer presence Dennis Silva looms large and the only actor I can think of is Dwayne Johnson who could bring the right mix of physical ability and still dangerous undertone that makes Silva such a force of nature.

Cortney Bradford should be Sam Neil who could bring the right blend usefulness and wistful amazement with their new world.

The core of the whole story is Matt and Sandra but I’m blown if so far I see anyone in my minds eye who could fit the roles.

Need to go back and think over who next to match part to player

Frankly, unless the truly tremendous budget would be used, I seriously doubt that Destroyermen could ever be made into a live-action. But – it could be easily made into anime, or 3D cartoon.

That could work and would allow so much more than could be done with live action. I always think that’s why Terra Nova went south not a bad show but just so expensive so never made it to a 2nd series or windup special or TV movie to answer the remaining questions on the show.

1. AvatarBy Justin on

Even with a Dragon Prince-type cartoon that has zero compositing though, the modelling and crowd-sim required for one Grik horde is going to be a nightmare; probably best to wait a decade or two for the tech to become more affordable.

2. AvatarBy Justin on

As in ditch the compositing for DM, just use plain animation. TDP et al need plenty of comp.

Doesn’t sound too likely in the Destoryermen World Japan would be pretty cold and the Grik don’t work well in cold. Nearly as bad as the Peshawar Lancers World. So going forward from that unless there are other cold weather Grik we have not met before don’t think it would happen.

1. AvatarBy Doug White on

Oh c’mon, you gotta admit that was a brilliant comment by Donald, tho!

I did follow the link and thought I must have missed something so bowed to a fellow poster who may have seen what I missed

2. AvatarBy Doug White on

Michael, if you try the link again take a look closely at the picture. There is something like a Grik behind the counter.

3. AvatarBy Michael Clitheroe on

Oh yeah on the left and right of the creepy robot person, I knew there was something I’d missed

4. AvatarBy donald johnson on

On the Kyushu Island of southwestern Japan you’ll find a hotel run almost entirely by robots. At the Henn-Na Hotel, located in Japan’s Dutch-themed Huis Ten Bosch Theme Park, all receptionists, bellhops, and concierges greet guests with the sweet, soothing mechanical voice of artificial intelligence.

Called “the most efficient hotel in the world,” the Henn-Na Hotel (“Henn-Na” translates to “strange” in English) is a prime example of AI replacing traditionally human-occupied jobs. Over 90% of the staff consists of autonomous robots, a total of 186 machines.

Upon entering, three front desk clerks will be waiting for you: an eerily realistic female robot and two eager velociraptors dressed as bellhops. After checking in, a mechanical arm will place your luggage in a drawer and a one-foot robotized concierge will explain breakfast times and other hotel information. The red porter robot will then escort you to your room.

To unlock the door, no key is needed—simply place your face in front of a sensor and facial-recognition technology will open the door (or at least in theory). Upon entering the room, you will meet Churi-chan, a pink and green miniature robot which offers wakeup calls, will tell you the weather, and can even control the lights. Strange indeed.

19. AvatarBy donald j johnson on

What happened 2 days and nothing happenin here. I know its not because everybody is reading the next book! Maybe everybody is writing trying to win the next book

Well I for one am 3/4th of the way through Storm Surge for the 2nd time and will hopefully be well into Deadly Shores again in a couple of days

2. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

I was sniffing around the site & saw “Uncategorized” under the Categories heading, got curious since we never see any posts there. It turns out it’s the General Discussions page, but with no entries & no way to make an entry. There’s a part of the page listing # of comments & if you click that, you come here.
      Just saw, “Posted March 17, 2016 by Taylor Anderson in category “Uncategorized, under the ROB cover above. I’ll see what’s there next.

Empty page again. Undocumented Feature aka dead end street.

20. AvatarBy Michael Clitheroe on

Although I’ve only been reading the series for the last couple of years and am currently only half way through my second reading of the series it has got me thinking.
    As posted above if the British came through with the French/Spanish/German/Italian forces and did not join them and managed to escape they may have found other groups that crossed over.

My thought is that a Crimean War convoy may have crossed over. Two or three transports, plus stores ships and maybe two or three warships might have crossed and found themselves in the Grik free north. As wives (normally 1 in 10) would have come with the troops there would be some say 3,000 men and 2-300 women and maybe even children crossed they would have been able to take over as the major modern force so could provide a refuge for the 20th century British and with that a major pain for the Axis forces. Plus the Axis forces one must assume also found human’s or ‘Cats’ to provide labour and support for their little empire.

And that also got me thinking that the Nussie’s may have also found others say those from 17th century colonies or even the AWI which again as the major modern force could have given them some major advantages.

Any views?

1. AvatarBy Justin on

Welcome aboard, Michael!

Could be. The Black Sea was sailed by a whole lot of cultures, so it’s not hard to imagine a hypothetical HMS Resistance forming a Persian-Byzantine-Varangian-Turkish-Russian coalition and giving the League a severe migraine.

No-go on the East Coast – RoB says the NUS doesn’t want much to do with them because they’re tribal and xenophobic, and there’s not much reason for readers to doubt them yet.

Plus taking onto account that the Byzantine Coalition could have access to other ships that came through at the time of World War One or just before which could give them sufficient modern knowledge to support the British forces in 1940. With Battle wagons plus say a Ark Royal type carrier with Gloster Gladiators aircraft which out of date would be fairly easy to re-create they would be able keep the League off balance for some time.

Equally the League could have access to the descendants of Barbary pirates, the US forces sent in the early 1800’s to crush the pirates or even British troops & colonists from Tangiers in the 1680’s.

Then we have General Halik in Persia what if his ‘people’ make contact and after their involvement with Niwa and the Alliance might agree to support Byzantine Coalition and make things really hot for the League

21. AvatarBy Taylor Anderson on

Hey everybody, I’d appreciate it if you’d do me a favor. My direct contact feature has not been working. I even tested it myself. It is supposed to be fixed so I would appreciate it if some of you would test it for me. Thanks!

Just tested it & was accepted on your “Contact Me” feature under your name. Hopefully that’s what you’re looking for. Don’t know if it made it to you or not.

2. AvatarBy Taylor Anderson on

By the way, here’s a chance to make a real-time contribution: I need the colors of French and Italian tracers. I’ve found very vague references here and there, but I’m not satisfied. Anybody know for sure?

1. AvatarBy matthieu on

Sure. For French ships it was ship dependent for larger shells. Each capital ship was firing a specific color. Each shell had holes at the base to store colored powder. It’s the main cause for the premature explosion of a shell at Dakar as the shell was weakened by the drilled hole.

For smaller caliber it was red or white depending on the batch and/or the supplier.

Source:
        “La composition traceuse est à base de magnésium et de nitrate de baryum avec, comme ralentisseur, de la glu de lin. Une composition d’allumage recouvre le tout, à base de minium et de poudre de magnésium. La couleur de la trace est blanche. Le projectile atteint une Vo de 750 m/s avec 3 g de BFP1. Un second modèle est dû à l’Atelier de Toulouse, différant essentiellement par une composition à base de magnésium et de nitrate de strontium, d’où une trace de couleur rouge”

Most authors notice that accuracy of those bullets was pathetic as the burning mixture changed the weight little by little and they became unreliable at long range.

1. AvatarBy Taylor Anderson on

Thanks, that’s what I thought. Looking for small arms tracer colors. And yes, they are less accurate at range due to weight variations as well as other things. Huh, you’re right. I forgot about the variable large caliber tracer compounds to distinguish whose fire was going where. US used dye to color the splashes. Good and bad. Useless at night of course, without spotlights—which could be good and bad too. ……..is it just me or have we already had this conversation? Ha! I get so many things running around in my head I sometimes think I need a brain enema.

1. AvatarBy Justin on

IJN too – there’s a quote from Taffy 3 that goes “They’re shooting at us in friggin’ Technicolour!”

The entire thing sounds more like a bad Jerry Bruckheimer movie sometimes.

2. AvatarBy matthieu on

” I sometimes think I need a brain enema”

Please just remove this image from my head.

I also had a check: tracers were not used all the time. After WW1 the idea was to use them as few as possible and to prefer registered fire to prevent observation.

Technically some incendiary/tracer bullets were also available (phosphorus) but they were dangerous to store and use (any leak means that you will get a sure fire). On naval ships and/or for a landing this is a big no-no.

3. AvatarBy Taylor Anderson on

That’s what brain enemas are for Matthieu. To flush unneeded (or unpleasant) things out of your head. Like you haven’t never given the rest of us reason to need one! As for tracer use, they never stopped using them at sea throughput the war. And not just in the pacific. During naval ops in the med, as late as landing in southern France, ships were chastised for shooting at enemy planes in the dark, particularly from blacked out anchorages. The tracers drew straight lines to their source. They were supposed to wait until they were attacked.
            Large caliber tracers never went out of use in the pacific, even after virtually every ship’s fire was radar guided. Read any account of surigao strait. My favorite described salvos that looked like “ brightly lit passenger trains going over a hill “

4. AvatarBy matthieu on

“Like you haven’t never given the rest of us reason to need one!”

(Sgt Shultz voice) I do not know anything

“The tracers drew straight lines to their source. They were supposed to wait until they were attacked”

Sure, I was talking only about the French habits, sorry for the lack of precision.

5. AvatarBy William Curry on

I know nothing I believe is a translation of the German phrase: “Ich fas nicht” which the equivalent of the English “I don’t know”. Literally it’s “I know not” or “I hold not” (fas may be misspelled as I can’t find my German dictionary.) The phrase may be idiomatic to some dialects of German and not others. Anybody with more knowledge on the phrase jump in here.

6. AvatarBy donald johnson on

Go look at the reruns. he was always saying “I know nothing” whenever he could get in trouble!

According to the data my friends was able to found, Italian used white tracers for light firearms.

Heavy machineguns and autocannons have dual-color traces, which changed color from white to red after 150-200 meters of flight.

22. AvatarBy Charles Simpson on

Taylor Anderson posted on his Facebook Page contests:

1) Model or Fan Art contest best will win an Advance Reader’s Copy, ARC, of PASS OF FIRE.

2) Fan Fiction contest under the Destroyermen Fan Association (link in first comment)

3) Your favorite battle or point of high Drama in the books, to be judged by his wife.

Link to announcement on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/TaylorAndersonAuthor/photos/a.760111184014660/3055002684525487/?type=3&theater

NOW HEAR THIS Destroyerman Fan Fiction Contest

Prize a signed Advanced Reader’s Copy ARC of “Pass of Fire” from Taylor Anderson

Write a transfer story. Yep you decide what comes out of the storm, US warship, Lemurian Love boat, Japanese destroyer allied with the United States in WW 2, a small fleet no more than five ships, or whatever. Met by a Lemurian captain who served on USS Walker or Mahan in 1942 to commanding DD 25 USS Zambezi River in 1945. You name your character’s and choose the sex, and how much of his backstory you wish to write.
      Minimum five pages on your word processing software, and as large as will fit on FaceBook if you are long winded. I’d shoot for ten or so pages 😉 Save as a file on our Fan Fiction Page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1076206972451470/ BE SURE TO NOTE IT IS A CONTEST ENTRY AND HAS YOUR NAME ON IT!

Deadline for entries May 1, 2019

Not me. I never have gotten to play yet. I did sign up a while back but somebody had already taken my name! Ha! I’ll play someday when I get a chance and let you watch the comedy.

Must admit that Wickes-class destroyer is still one of my most favourite ships in WoWs. :) And still one of the most balanced on her level, IMHO.

Agreed, the wickes is a good little ship in the game. And low tier is generally more enjoyable than high tier anyways. I spend most of my time there.

23. AvatarBy Justin on

Say, that whole thing in Devil’s Due, with Bekiaa being thought of as a “savage” and a “barbarian” – do Republic Cats see other Mi-Anakka colonies the same way Romans would see Gauls or Scythians? Are their arts and sciences really that far ahead, or is it just bigotry?

… And does this mean Choon has an Amazon fetish?

24. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

I got to thinking. (Yes, I know, not that again!). In Pass of Fire it looks as though they’re going to try & take the pass. The Doms will fight back of course & the Leopardo may lend a hand (per the cover painting). A naval battle IN the pass will take time & restrict the maneuvering of the various ships & Leopardo in particular. It strikes me that they’ll still be fighting when the tide turns & starts running through the pass. It’ll be fascinating to see how Taylor describes it. Given the shape of the eastern shore line funneling in the tide, I think the bore will be significant. Slower steam & sailing ships may be driven ashore or onto shoals. Damaged & crippled ships may be overwhelmed entirely. Given some warning from Nancy’s by radio the allies may be able to get to sheltered bays, but it’ll still disrupt the battle & be a race to see who recovers the initiative first. I’m really stoked for it.

Wonder if “crossing the T” would work in the Pass, if the Doms could be trapped in there.

The pass itself looks wide enough. It would work, until Leopardo got into the mix. A line of slow ships is an excellent target for torpedoes. I wonder if any of the allies Eastern fleet mount torpedoes?

Don’t think there are ANY torpedo craft. Need some MTB’s fast. Teach Nussies how to build then, and and maybe E-boats.Shallow draft would be less affected by tidal bore, correct? And didn’t Oldendorf have PT’s at Surigao Strait? Set up and ICE plant in New Orleans.

But what they need is some P-1’s, even the older ones, for recon and harassing Doms. Maybe even a Washing Machine Charlie or two. With Leets promoted, perhaps Silva could be elevated to the Head of Dirty Tricks department.

1. AvatarBy Steve White on

As I recall, the Allies had torpedo boats in the Indian Ocean and Madagascar campaigns.

Most of the MTBs were sunk in the attack on Kurokawa’s base (I think there’s only one left). They are quick to build, but it would still be months before the eastern fleet saw any… unless they already planned for it & sent a squadron over a while back in one of the floating dry docks.

3. AvatarBy Steve White on

Don’t worry, the Navy Minister will threaten the poor slobs in the Bureau of Ships to build more yesterday :-)

4. AvatarBy Justin on

Steve W: Touched a nerve, have I? There’s a happy middle ground between “build a dozen Bismarcks by next year” and “build more of the same and wait for a miracle to happen;” five books ago, you’d have said USS Ellis was a waste of resources too.

Steve M/Lou: There’s two Walker-class DDs about to launch, Mahan, Ellis and Gray are still fit for duty, and Walker should be done by next book. Even without MTBs, Gray and 2-3 more should be enough to choke the Pass with torps.

5. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Motor torpedo boats are hardly optimal ships for trans-ocean campaign. And wasting torpedoes on Dom’s wooden frigates is just not cost-effective. NUS have rifle muzzle-loaders, which are more than enough to dealt with Dom’s ships.

6. AvatarBy Justin on

You’re not wrong Alexey, but remember that the new Dommie ships might be iron-armoured. Unless the Union’s sent AP shells and blueprints over, the NUS will need something more than Parrotts.

7. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

With all respect, but the best Dom’s could have as armor, is wrought iron plates. Probably even multi-layered thin plates, bolted together. And it is added to their existing designs, which means that the ammount of armor and its thickness is very limited. We do not see any “proper” Dom’s ironckads yet.

Against muzzle-loading rifles, such armor is of very limited use. It could stop shells, but not solid shots or Pallizers.

8. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

Justin, it would depend on the book’s time frame.
            If they’re assaulting the pass within a month or two of the Zambezi campaign, they won’t have anything but what’s already there. The allies essentially shot their bolt there navy wise & will have to keep what ships are left to support the land campaign.
            If it’s months from ROB’s ending, then yes, they may have a DD or two there, or Reddy may bring the Gray over. It’ll take time though, 16,500 miles from the Zambezi (give or take a few hundred miles) to Panama at 10 knots (cruising speed) is 58 days. If they staged tankers along the route ahead of time, they could reduce that. At 20 knots, it still takes four weeks or so. The new ships are faster, but you can’t run at full speed continually without damaging your engines. Leaving from Baalkpan cuts about 5,500 miles, but is still a long haul.

Alexey, I think if they did have something with torpedoes mounted, it would be handy to have if/when the Leopardo enters the fight for the Doms. Her guns have comparable range to the 4″ allied weapons. She also mounts torpedoes & if a target presents itself (like an Empire liner) may use them. If heavily engaged you’re shooting everything you have at multiple targets. IIRC even with superior guns, the allied fleet took a pounding the last time they engaged the Doms. As far as MTBs go, they’d make the voyage either in a floating dry dock or stowed in a transport of some sort. They’re not suited for open ocean voyages, but could be useful in the confines of the pass.

9. AvatarBy Matt on

From a naval standpoint, the Grik are done. The Union rules the waves at Africa. Gray should be sent to America to support the assault on the pass of fire. She would be best used there. The thing is, tactically the best thing to use there would be something like the armored barges used in the crimean war. The pass wont have much room for maneuver and it will be a slugfest against the forts. Armor barges and deck them out in guns and get in a shooting match. Gray isn’t heavily armored but her guns would be more useful there than at Africa where the fight will quickly move inland and too far for naval fire support.

10. AvatarBy Justin on

Lou: Right, the Walkers aren’t X-Wings. But the big battle is always near the end of the book, and recent books cover about a month or longer.

Matt: Also right. But where would they get flak barges from inside of a month?

Say, if the African front needs fire support, Savoie’s holes should be plugged by now.

11. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Lou, the main Allied problem is that they are constantly get involved into the slugging matches, using the ship, that are simply not suited for that. Its another demonstration, why the “stay out of range and pound ’em with air power” was not the universal anwser until nukes and guided missiles came into play.

Well, Taylor can’t put all the details in the books, or we’d end up with 20-pound volumes like Clancy or JRR Tolkien. And since he’s more ordered than a lot of authors, he leaves a good framework to fill in.

OK, I’m the logistics nut. It makes more sense to me to teach powerboat building to allies who are familiar with oil refining & burning, propeller shafts, and coastal operations. They have wood a plenty; ship them a DE full of engines and a Clipper full of blueprints. Maybe Garrety can take a load of Nussies back to the Republic (I think it’s closer). But it’s going to be a long war, and a defensive navy close to its supply and industrial bases, can wage a pretty expensive war of attrition. Remember, the LOT doesn’t have an adequate industrial base. And by building up the Nussies, a peop;e with a solid idea of democracy, it might make them a little more appealing ally than the Doms or LOT, to the East Coast unknowns.

Matt’s right the Grik Navy has gone the way of the Peruvian and Ecuadorian navies. Esshk (for as long as he’s around before someone slips him a shiv or a Mickey) isn’t a big fan of the navy except to use up what’s left. The Hij may be getting a little uppity for his tastes; speaking of tastes, we know where the more vocal of the Hij may have gone.. gone for cookpots every one.

Which brings me back home to Walkers. They’ve got speed, range, but can defend shorelines, especially if backed up by air and coastal artillery. The LOT, on the other hand, doesn’t have a decent Caribbean base unless they seize Cuba, unlikely since they don’t have the power to project. All they sent to the Indian Ocean were one-way trippers.I vote for more Walkers, maybe a post-Walker design, with maybe a few Porters or Flashies thrown in for good measure. Yhe Union has to bottle up the Pope, if only to safeguard the Venezuelan oil fields.

25. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

I wonder if we’re going to find out more on the Mediterranean situation in Pass of Fire. Find out why they can’t or won’t commit their fleet to wiping out our heroes. The only thing I can come up with is their squall event was so large, it not only pulled most of their invasion fleet through, but also a good part of a British force coming to intercept it. The Brits may have linked up with another in-place civilization on the northern shores of the Med somewhere. They would probably have some of the refitted Queen Elizabeth class BBs &/or a BC or two. I’d love to see this beauty still operational after receiving a 1930s refit.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/TigerSP1674.png/1200px-TigerSP1674.png

1. AvatarBy Justin on

Could be. The Bosphorus and Dardanelles probably resemble canals right now; any civilization hiding behind them is going to be a real pain in the ass for the League to dislodge, especially with a couple of transplanted battlewagons to back them up.

Fun fact: the Renown class was originally supposed to be more R and QE battleships, but the contract was cancelled, then resurrected as a set of battlecruisers.

The Grik are in Persia for sure & probably in Turkey as well. Any civilization there would have probably been eaten by now. If the Dardanelles & Bosphorus are passible, the northern coasts Black Sea would be almost ideal for them. Too cold for the Grik, a defendable choke point to get to them & access to the Ploesti oil fields for fuel. If they aren’t passible for large ships, then I’d shoot for the Adriatic Sea area. Maybe Venice or Trieste.

1. AvatarBy Justin on

Could be too, but they’d want to keep their ships… and then the Adriatic’s right next door to Tripoli.

My guess, they’d camp out with Teuta’s Ardiaei, right beside the mouth of the Adriatic and surrounded by mountains. Line the coast with mines and batteries, keep a running patrol of torpedo boats, garrison the the Dinarides against flanking invasions, and Bob’s your uncle.

I get they’d want to fortify the Straits of Otranto & patrol out of one of the nearby bays (like Vlore), but I don’t think they’d want their main base exposed like that. I’d be thinking defense in depth back around Trieste. They’d need to have hooked up with a good sized civilization to garrison The Dinaric Alps & mountains to the south. Aircraft & ground patrols & hidden observation posts with radios would be easier.
            My uncle’s name was Leroy though, so who knows.

2. AvatarBy Justin on

Yeah, but the Med Fleet’d need a good-sized civilization no matter what; the League came equipped for a land war and the RN did not.

AFAIK, we’ve only been talking about a sea-based threat so far. If the fascists decide to pull a Yamashita and attack from western Italy, Venice is history without an Apennine Line. From there it’s just three river crossings to Trieste.

That’s why I’d shoot for Trieste or maybe Rijeka. Although if there is a civilization in the area, the LOT would have to fight their way through it to get to either Trieste or Rijeka. The Brits could back up their allies with some dismounted light guns for towed artillery pieces & MGs. Defended river crossings are tough & to get there they’d have to cross the Apennines which would tear up their mechanized units & make getting heavy artillery through a bitch. The easier way would be a landing in the Genoa area, where the mountains are smaller hills & just a short hop to the Po River valley. From there, it’s a straight shot to the Adriatic coast. If there is a civilization there though, that’s prime territory & will probably be occupied. They’d have to fight their way through the locals backed by British support.
            By now the Brits should be well established with the locals & have some industrial capacity, say at about the level of the Republic. They’d have more men & time to spread knowledge around than our guys did.
            It’d be cool if the locals were a mixture of humans & Gentaa. Maybe the main Gentaa populations are in Europe & the Republic Gentaa are descendants of an exploration fleet caught in the Cape storm. The humans could be a mix of Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, maybe even some Minoans.

4. AvatarBy Justin on

Romans and Epirusi on one flank, Illyrians on the other – yeah, that’d be pretty hard for the League to get through.

If you’re right about the Gentaa being the Vanished Gods, maybe it was refugees that fled north during the “Fall of Sofesshk” instead of south.

26. AvatarBy Justin on

The Imperial Chinese helped found the Republic, but Kim’s a Korean surname – the Chinese one is Jin.

Any idea why? I’m guessing that there’d have been a few Koreans in the Imperial Court and could’ve somehow ended up in a treasure fleet, but you gentlemen might have other, better ideas.

The surname could have morphed over the years to better fit the norms of the republic. Spellings do change after all.

Also Jin is an anglicized version of the mandarin which uses an entirely different writing system. And all members of the Chinese language family are tonal in nature so Jin doesn’t really convey the proper pronunciation anyways. When the Chinese ancestors crossed over the various systems for anglicizing mandarin didn’t exist, nor did anyone in the republic speak English at the time. So I think it’s fair to say they found their own way. To my knowledge the Chinese writing system is not used in the republic so the sounds had to be converted into the Latin alphabet in some way.

27. AvatarBy Charles Simpson on

One of our members over on the Association has made a library of articles to research Destroyermen subjects he writes:

Johnathan Simpson
    just wanted to post what might be some useful reference material..if anyone needs something specific, i’m sitting on around a Tb and a half of material. if you need a subject, just ask…

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UpBYGxy49dxwHSk3KNsRxgVQ5tRf9GaU?fbclid=IwAR06YDZtJg748PTesMdGt0xNpHGl2ACIVsHVlqQR30aKykLFVMzl_SX4c4s

Enjoy

50 degree temps in Northern New England (after xub-zero last week) and thinking of summer, when a new volume will appear… Pam relents and marries Silva, a drunken Larry makes an unfortunate snack of Petey at the reception, and hopefully, Gravois gets it.

28. AvatarBy Justin on

Reread some ancient history stuff a while ago. Given the ridiculous amount of succession crises and rebellions that hereditary rule creates, I’m surprised the Republic stills exists, much less keeps the Grik out.

Good point, historically, but the Republic is a little weird, and fairly complicated. It’s implied it took a lot of blood to build it, over the centuries, but once all that was over–say at least a century ago–there was never a large standing army. No need for one, since the Grik were reluctant to invade an inhospitable climate, and there was no place for the Republic to expand and become a “proper” empire. Most pre-war legions were composed more of regional reservists than anything else, one reason it took so long to gather the legions in the first place. The overall ruler, originally Caesar, increasingly “Kaiser,” is hereditary–to a degree–and must be confirmed by the Senate. If a candidate is unsuitable–and there are a variety of criteria for this–then other members of the “royal” family are considered. Because of different cultural influences, Repub royals enjoy a measure of respect and traditional reverence those in Rome never did, simply due to birth. Once a Kaiser is installed, only a 3/4 majority of Senators can remove him or her. He or she has fairly broad powers, but the Senate holds the purse strings. All this works, and manages to maintain the consent of the governed because everybody still needs to keep their constituents happy. Senators are selected by collections of regional electors, (call them People’s Tribunes, though I’ve never decided whether to actually call them that. It hasn’t mattered), who serve as a kind of electoral college, and who in turn are directly selected by the populace. On the other hand, they can be replaced at any time, and a sufficient number of them can recall and replace a Senator. As you can imagine, this would result in a lot of petty scheming and shifting alliances, but wouldn’t be as crazy or capricious as a direct democracy while eventually–theoretically–allowing the common folk to get their way. On the other hand, without imperial conquests sending tribute for a bread dole or something like that, a vibrant economy and employment is more important to the common folk than “bread and circuses” and the people would frown on their leaders blowing tax money on stuff like that–resulting in the recall of Tribunes, even Senators. By the same token, an unpopular war could do the same. One reason Senate funding and support for the Kaiser’s buildup was slow. Not that the majority of the people probably weren’t ready to finally do something about the Grik, but it would take time to convince them, and more time to convince the Tribunes and Senators they WERE convinced–while, like all politicians, they’d be worried how the resultant hardships, combat losses, and increased taxes might eventually turn public opinion, especially after the war is over. Make sense? Not perfect by any means, but probably pretty stable. At least in normal times.

Well, there probably were a lot of internal fighting & coups in Republik early history…

Almost guaranteed. A Ming Dynasty contingent landing there & encountering a “monkey” civilization? They would consider them less than human to start & probably try to enslave or at least take over. After that has shaken out over some centuries, the Roman arrival, with all their arrogance & attitudes towards barbarians would set off another round of strife. Integrating those cultures into the existing Lemurian & Gentaa civilization would engender some serious indigestion. After those two incidents, they would be understandably leery of any new arrivals.

My mistake, I got the arrivals backwards. Romans first, THEN the Ming Chinese. Sorry.

Chinese involvement with the Lemurians predates the republic, Phoenicians, Plutonic Egyptians, and possibly unmentioned others arrived earlier and the Gentaa myth of being a hybrid human-Lemurian cross. They arrived long before the arrival of the 10th century Romans (about 1,000 years prior to the 1940s) and they establish the republic. More recent arrivals join the republic, various Black Africans, any recent Ming Chinese residents, and the crew and prisoners of SMS Amerika.

3. AvatarBy donald johnson on

the crazy thing is as the republic is very old I suspect that they have lost their early history’s. The Carthaginians and the other seafaring races around 1500 BC in our era are not mentioned (at least not by taylor).

4. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

10th century Romans? I have some rereading to do. They must have been from yet another AU, since the western Roman Empire fell in the 5th century. If we’re talking the eastern Roman Empire (Byzantium), by the 10th century, they wouldn’t really look much like the classic Roman army, or be organized the same way. The Byzantine symbol does look suspiciously familiar though.
            https://i.pinimg.com/564x/2c/ef/da/2cefda8a2e83f22024d556f786891d84.jpg

5. AvatarBy Justin on

Charles: exactly which book was that? AFAIK, Phoenicia, Carthage and Upper Egypt are just guesswork.

Regarding China, their earliest contact with Africa was the Tang/Song Dynasties, and they only got as far as Somalia. It’s gotta be the Ming.

Lou: Brief mention in Iron Grey Sea and Storm Surge. Remember that Nestor’s flag – as good as it is – isn’t canon yet.

6. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

Justin, thanks for the info. I think Taylor did settle on a Republic flag a few months ago. It was a merging of several concepts (yours, Nestor’s, Charles, mine & the drunk down the block).
            https://www.deviantart.com/loupy59/art/Republic-Battle-Flag-Provisional-v3-765076389
            As far as who has shown up down south, if they ran into a strakka when they arrived, they could basically be blown there from anywhere & any period. I would have given better odds to a Phoenician or Carthaginian arrival than the Romans though. They weren’t much of a sea power.

7. AvatarBy Justin on

The Romans had traders as far as Tanzania, so it’s not entirely implausible.

The map has the Romans settling on the west coast though, so it probably wasn’t that. Augustus commissioned a couple of expeditions to Lake Chad, and they left a garrison; perhaps nine centuries later, some emperor says “I want the legion on the Lacus Hippopotamus to journey to the Horn” and the poor bastards end up fighting dinosaurs all the way to Alex-aandra?

2. AvatarBy Justin on

No reason to believe that the later periods were any less violent, either.

South Africa is temperate and not much larger than Ontario, so rebellions and economic reforms would be less of a problem than in Egypt/Rome/China. And the legionari-soldiers have a say in politics, so no Pompeys or Antonys.
          But what if Caesar dies with no heir? Or the royal family starts a “heated” inheritance dispute? And why is the Senate allowed to confirm Caesar in the first place? There’s a whole lot of civil wars – and at least one Magna Carta – that we haven’t been made privy to yet.

While we’re at it, does Nig-Taak have a Kaiserina, or a Kronprinz/prinzessin? Might be a problem if a League bomber gets lucky and it turns out he doesn’t…

You’re welcome. I always enjoy the reaction to info I’ve never yet been able to find space for in the books. It took a lot of contemplation and it’s fun to watch you guys think about it too. Who knows building the republic might make a fun book someday.

Maybe one of these days you can do a silmarillion of sorts to fill in all the various world building bits.

29. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

I went to the book store today to see if ROB was out in paperback yet. I was trying to find out what the corrected specs were for the two row radials. No luck.
    However, I saw DD & glanced at it to see whether our corrections made it in. They did. Pretty cool to see our inputs on paper! I didn’t check them all, as the page counts are different than the hardcover. I just found some of the easy ones. Yes, I could have gotten the Kindle version of ROB, but at $14, I’ll wait until it comes down in line with the rest of the series.

Y’all’s input is always appreciated. As I’ve said before, I think the way the specs get goofed up is that, when changes don’t match those in previous style sheets, appointed copyeditors default to earlier style sheets and change stuff back–all in a genuine, good faith effort to preserve continuity! This has been a never-ending battle. And even when they acknowledge my revisions for the paperbacks, they don’t always change the STYLE SHEETS so the same errors return again in later books. Very frustrating. In an ideal world, I would’ve had the same copyeditors from start to finish, and they would’ve recognized that the cast of characters and specs would evolve from book to book, but it just doesn’t work that way. In a sense, we’re all actually pretty lucky they let me include that (pretty big) chunk of stuff in the books at all, since extra pages (and ink!) means extra cost for them, for no return that fits their business model. Don’t forget, they didn’t even let me include the cutaway of Walker in the first few books! Now they don’t even squeal when I sometimes rather egregiously abandon the wordcount limit. FYI, my contracted wordcount is @ 150,000. The last few books have been @ 180,000+–and I sure don’t get paid more for those extra words! Ha!
      So ultimately, yeah, considering that in the grand scheme of things, my complaints are like shooting BBs at a mountain fish, we should all be grateful they make ANY changes I recommend, and I’m sure grateful to you for helping me catch them. Plenty of cause for satisfaction for all who contribute here.

They’d probably bitch about the extra word count & specs & character pages if your books weren’t best sellers! :)

Just for splits and wiggles, started picking up new fiction off the library shelf and lo and behold, it seems like most authors have idiots for art directors. From bullets being fired cartridge and all towards the target, to a picture of the blond heroine (unfortunately, she’s brunette). Lou and Nestor, you guys could be making a fortune in the art business.

1. AvatarBy Generalstarwars on

Yeah, and like how in pretty much every Honor Harrington book with a spaceship on the cover, the ship looks nothing like the ships in the book.

2. AvatarBy Justin on

In fairness, most publishers don’t give a rat’s ass about the book, the cover or the graphics artist making it.

“Hey artist, you know how to do ‘syfy’ stuff, right?”

“Well-”

“Great! I need covers for all these books by the end of the week, you’ll get your fifty bucks afterward! Gotta run!”

Sigh…

Pretty close, I imagine. I’ve been lucky that they occasionally incorporate a few of my suggestions. My greatest achievement came with my very first book, however, when I didn’t have any pull at all. What do you think of when you hear the words WWII destroyer? Probably a Fletcher, right? Well that’s what they tried to put on the first cover. Almost as bad as that Russian cover Alexey showed us that had a Japanese DD on it. Anyway, I threw an absolute walleyed fit and showered them with pics of 4-stackers, insisting that it was essential that readers see that on the cover. To my amazement, they caved, and I think I was right.

I’d rather see your handiwork than a Golden Dragon buffet of unrelated plot elements, or a Walker that looks like Tugboat Annie. Or perspective that looks like it was viewed through the bottom of a bottle. Eh, we buy it for Taylor’s work. But now that I’m into buying the hardcovers (lending library patrons refuse to wait a year), the dust jackets just slip away, lost forever…

3. AvatarBy Nestor on

Thanks for the vote of confidence (aw shucks!). Had I not been compelled to dedicate most of my waking hours to my day job to pay bills I guess I might have made some effort into taking art commissions. After all, the more time you dedicate to it the more efficient you become until you’re able to increase your output and visibility but more to the point, monetize it in a more reliable and consistent manner.

Anyway, I used to work for a book publisher and at that place cover artists were rarely given the chance to learn what the story is about. We had a romance imprint where the cover art usually consisted of bare chested Fabio striking a pose, replace the hanky with a rose but just rehash the same template for all titles.

30. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

A suggestion for Alliance AA-gunnery practice (and fighter pilots).

A wire-controlled glider, launched & guided from parent plane. Just the most primitive gyro autopilot onboard (mainly to control the roll), and two simple electrical motors/solenoids to control rudder and elevators through the polarized relay. Onboard the parent plane, operator controlled glider through the kilometer-long wire, by simply connecting the glider servomotors with parent plane dynamo through the polarized relay. When no power is applied, rudder/elevator is put into a neutral position by simple springs.

Basically, it’s mid-XIX century remote control technology. Four wires in cable, two servomotors, one dynamo. Two wires to command “rudder left/rudder right” (by powering the servomotor & choosing the straight/reversed polarity), two to command “elevators up/down”. Ailerons are under gyro control all time.

Simple, cheap, useful.

31. AvatarBy Justin on

Would the Allies have the know how to build a paintball gun, could it be mounted on a Fleashooter, and would it be safe to shoot it at another Fleashooter? If yes to all three, it seems like a good ATC training item.

They might be able to build one, but I don’t know if they’d be able to make the ball part holding the paint strong enough to withstand the launch velocity needed for long range work. Most paint guns are low velocity affairs, but for air to air training, you’d need to up that quite a bit to get the range needed. If they could, it would probably punch holes in the doped fabric of the Fleashooters. It might even hit hard enough to shatter the windshield & damage the wooden propeller. If I was them, I’d have to pass on the idea.

Yeah, the way they did it back in the day was to have a plane tow a banner way behind it and have the others shoot at it. Not ideal, can’t really learn deflection shooting that way. But without simulators or something akin to miles gear you can’t really train for that realistically anyways.

Drones, guys. Target drones. The lion’s share of US military anti-air efficiency later in the war was due to Radioplane target drones, which allowed gunners & pilots to be trained against maneuvering targets.

Drones will be the way to go eventually, once they get the radios & actuators sorted out. Until then, to get something to shoot at right away, they’ll probably go the banner route.

Well, as a probable half-measure – target glider with primitive gyro autopilot (1910s tech), towed into air by the plane. On altitude, glider would be released & then used as target. Cheap, but better than towed target.

3. AvatarBy William Curry on

Actually the army developed frangible bullets for the .30-06 cartridge and reinforced the structure on P-63’s (the ones that weren’t sent to the Soviet Union)among others and used them as manned targets for the trainee pilots to shoot at. The round was originally call the Cal.30 Ball frangible T44 and later type classified as the Ball Frangible M22. It used a 107 grain bullet composed of 50/50 powdered lead and Bakelite with a mv of 1360 fps from the machine gun trainer M9. Production in the later part of the war was 30 million rounds per months. See “History of Modern US Military Small Arms Ammunition Vol II 1940-1945 pages 87-91. Good project for Baalkpan Arsenal.

4. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

“Actually the army developed frangible bullets for the .30-06 cartridge and reinforced the structure on P-63’s (the ones that weren’t sent to the Soviet Union)among others and used them as manned targets for the trainee pilots to shoot at. ”

Problem is, that Alliance could not adopt that method – their machines aren’t metal and could not be armored much. So, towed targets & drones remain the only possible solutions.

5. AvatarBy Steve Moore on

If you can steer a drone, you can steer a bomb. Don’t need a Grik pilot.

6. AvatarBy Justin on

Two problems with drones: the Allies need to have good enough RC technology, and more importantly, enough spare planes for target practice. Every plane counts right now.

7. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

“Two problems with drones: the Allies need to have good enough RC technology, and more importantly, enough spare planes for target practice. Every plane counts right now.”

Well, for target drones – who did not operate in highly-hostile radio environment and who did not need exact precision of, say, guided bombs – even the most primitive radio control would work.

P.S. In theory, you could just use wire-guided drones, controlled with several kilometer-long wire from control plane.

8. AvatarBy William Curry on

Using frangible ball on the drone would reduce the damage and probably allow them to be used more than once. At this point using a drone one and shooting it down would be very expensive training. The frangible ball would break up on major structural members or the engine rather than causing serious damage. Yeas it would go through fabric, but that can be repaired or replaced easily. Wasting an engine or the radio control equipment on a single flight would be a prohibited waste of resources for the allies at this point. The army also had a method of coating the bullet tip with colored inks which would leave a colored mark on the aircraft of target sleeve so they could tell whose hits were which. When they get to that point frangible ball could be used for direct fire on tanks in training with sub caliber devices in AT guns or other artillery.

9. AvatarBy Matthew White on

Target drone technology and command guided munitions actually arrived at about the same time. Both the Germans and Americans fielded radio controlled bombs during the war. The Fritz X famously sunk an Italian battleship after Italy surrendered.

32. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

Happy New Year, guys! According to Chinese calendar, the 2019 is a year of Yellow Ground Pig, so let’s hope this cute animal would bring us happiness and joy! Happy New Year!

Happy New Year Alexey! I guess you’re already celebrating over there. Only 6pm New Years Eve here.

If Taylor sees one it will suddenly sprout a LARGE hole.

33. AvatarBy Charles Simpson on

So Taylor what books/series you have finished would your recommend to those who love your books? And guys what books or series you have finished that most remind you of the Destroyermen series? My favorite, other than Destroyermen, was SM Sterling’s Island in the sea to time series where the coastguard training ship Eagle and the Island of Nantucket go back in time.

I have really enjoyed David Weber’s Safehold series. I like pretty much everything David has written, in fact. Great guy, tremendous storyteller, and freaky smart.

1. AvatarBy William Curry on

I can also recommend the old master Robert Heinlein who’s been dead for over 30 years and yes all Heinlein’s works were political. Also check out P.T.Duetermann and D.C.Poyer, they both write contemporary or historical naval fiction. Dueterman has written some especially good fiction set during WW2. He usually interleaves the technology and tactics into the story in an interesting and central but not distracting way. Hans Helmut Kirst used in experiences in the German Army from 1933 to 1945 to write novels. In non-fiction read Storm of Steel (Im Stahlgewittern)by Ernst Junger, it’s his memoir of the Great War. I will warn you that the English translations were usually done by Brits who did their best to make a German come off as a public school Englishman.

What would you call it… Libertarian mixed in with Free Love?

That’s probably a good description of Heinlein’s adult works. His juveniles didn’t have much free love in them but plenty of libertarianism in them. One of the first writers of military sf was Phillip Francis Nowland in “Armageddon 2419 AD” the original Buck Rogers novel in 1928. It’s a good read and nothing like the later cartoon strip or the TV series.

2. AvatarBy Taylor Anderson on

Heinlein’s early stuff–Red Planet, Farmer in the Sky, Rocket Ship Galileo, etc., is what got me interested in sci-fi. Didn’t like his later stuff nearly as much, and didn’t discover it until I was already enjoying other authors I liked more–without the pornography

Agree.. took something away from it. Same thing when Louis L’Amour was crowded out by soft-porm westerns… need some more good cowboy movies

2. AvatarBy Paul Smith on

Have you read the Stars and Stripes trilogy by Harrison? Found that rather entertaining. Interesting technological development.

2. AvatarBy William Curry on

If you like Taylor and David Weber, you will also like John Ringo.

1. AvatarBy Justin on

Not necessarily – Ringo’s a whole lot more… political than both authors combined.

Unfortunately. He is so inclined on fighting liberal strawmans, that Scarecrow from Oz declared him a sworn enemy.

My understanding is that the Scarecrow of Oz was only a fellow traveler not a card carrying party member.

2. AvatarBy William Curry on

Justin, do you object to Mr. Ringo being “political” or do you object to his particular brand of “political”? I see Alexy objects to his particular brand. David Weber and John Ringo collaborated on the Prince Roger series. Taylor and Mr. Weber’s works are just as political as John Ringo’s and IMO have the same preference for modernism and its enlightenment values that John Ringo has. Mr. Weber and Taylor write works that if movies would be PG-13, whereas Mr. Ringo writes works that would be R or TV-Ma. None of the three are writing in a post-modernism vein.

The Safehold series is especially strong in modernism and enlightment values.

2. AvatarBy Justin on

It depends, are all his books like Troy Rising? Because if so, I’d counter with how Mr Weber and Mr Anderson realize that they’re writing stories, not manifestos or Author Tracts. They don’t do any blatant race bashing either.

3. AvatarBy Alexey Shiro on

” I see Alexy objects to his particular brand. ”

With all respect, but Ringo problem is not the politic tones as themselves – as you correctly noted,

” Taylor and Mr. Weber’s works are just as political as John Ringo’s and IMO have the same preference for modernism and its enlightenment values that John Ringo has. ”

– but the style in which John Ringo basically shove his political views down the reader throat. Lack of tact, I dare say. Also (IMHO), because he worried more about heroes fighting the political agenda, rather than opposing characters, his bad guys are rather… dull and two-dimensional.

“Prince Roger” series is especially notorious, because the bad guys are so hypocritical, that basically they threw away their own agenda for more hypocrisy. The Saints who are ecologically-opposed of the human colonization of other planes are also living on the other planes, because Ringo wanted them to be as hypocritical as possible, forget about making sense. If he sacrificed a bit of hypocrisy, he could make them live on artificial space colonies and hollowed-out asteroids, which would make their anti-planetary colonization agenda much more sensible, while maintaining that they are still Bad Guys who are cruel and zealous (and more than willing to bend their agenda to suit their leader’s needs).

There are a lot of people in this universe that believe “do as I say not do as I do”.

Jack Campbell’s (aka John Hemry) Lost Fleet series is good. For something a bit different, try Larry Correia’s work (MHI & Grimnoir series, also Dead Six).

Also try Robert Adams’ Castaways In Time series. The first three were good, they kind of went down hill after that, with #6 being the last & worst. His ill health & death may have had something to do with it.

4. AvatarBy Generalstarwars on

Gonna come out of hiding real quick to say that I love anything by Harry Turtledove, Ender’s Game , the “Honor Harrington” series by David Weber, the “Old Man’s War” series by John Scalzi, the “Gaunt’s Ghosts” series by Dan Abnett(It’s sharpe’s rifles in space), and the Horblower and Sharpe’s Rifles series. Also The Martian and the other book by that author.

34. AvatarBy donald j johnson on

You should sign your books like the author hunter S. Thompson. With your gun!

What does he do? Shoot a hole in them? I guess I could do that. Let the reader pick the caliber!

He has lots og guns and lets you pick it. I pick the doom whomper

12-gauge, so you don’t miss the flamboyant signature. But then, I’m an insurance guy like John Hancock.

1. Taylor AndersonBy Taylor Anderson (Post author) on

Well I do, of course, but even I might consider that excessive. Would be hard to piece anything coherent back together. Opens a sack of confetti, mixed with leaves and dead grass. “Hey! My book is here!”

1. AvatarBy Generalstarwars on

*parents bring in box*
            “What’s in here? This thing weighs a ton!”
            “Oh it’s the new book.”
            *Opens box and pulls out confetti covered iron roundshot*

I agree you would need a coffin to display the book.

Actually Taylor could sign a book with one of the Doom Wopper’s lead-tin bullets there is a reason a pencil lead is called a lead 😉

35. AvatarBy Lou Schirmer on

Time to remember the Greatest Generation, those who served & those who fell when the USA was attacked at Pearl Harbor. My dad was at sea on the USS Benham (DD-397), escorting the USS Enterprise that day. He said they all knew it was coming, when was the question. Which was answered, 7 Dec 1941.

Cashed in his chips in 1989, but thanks on his & his brother’s behalf. His brother was Army, but we forgave him. :)

36. AvatarBy Karl Fritzinger on

I have enjoyed reading the Destroyermen series and was wondering when the next issue (14) will be out?

37. AvatarBy John Lyle on

I have a slight problem. I am about to start river of bones but I can’t remember if I read Devils Due. In Devils Due is that where the allies attacked the Grik Capital with bombers and Kurokawa get a League battleship?

Hi John, I believe that was in Blood In The Water. In Devil’s Due, they deal with Kurokawa, his new battleship & the hostage situation.

38. AvatarBy Mary Williams on

Thank you Mr Anderson. Just finished reading your fifth book after noticing a super review of the series in the. Spectator magazine here in East Sussex England. I was born in 1940 so am fairly aware of WW2 but more of Vietnam war. Thanks again – do you know of a database of the lead characters?

As we can only post one link per post I should point out the Special Categories list that will be an index to help your search on the WIKI:

https://destroyermen.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Categories

A fast way to go to the index is put curser on COMMUNITY go down and click on Special: Categories. You will see that there is a broad Characters list (About 335 named characters in the books to date) and divisions in Male and Species. Say you wanted to know the percentage of Female Lemurian Characters (28) 28/335 x 100 = 8.35% 😉

That’s how it starts.. you read one, then have to read the rest, then you loan them out to trusted friends. Before you know it your bookshelf is bare…

39. AvatarBy donald j johnson on

Saw that taylor is rezding one of my other favorate authors. Genesis fleet VANGUARD. By Jack Campbell

Yeah, Jack Campbell is a friend, and they sent me Vanguard to blurb. Really liked it, and look forward to the next. As a friend, I’m ashamed that I’ve never had a chance to read the rest of his stuff–I don’t get time to read much fiction at all, it seems–but I loaded his “Lost Fleet” series on my Kindle some time ago. I plan to read it, (and catch up on a LOT of things I’ve missed) this coming summer.

I’ve read the lost fleet. Actually got into it around the same time I got into your series and went back and forth while waiting on releases. Cool to know you two are friends. Do you also know Harry Turtledove personally?

We have the same agent and I met him a couple of times at conventions, but I doubt he remembers me. Seemed like a very nice guy.

I think he may have the same issue with book covers. In the colonization series the covers depict events that never happen in the books.

2. AvatarBy donald j johnson on

I have read all of his books that I have been able to find they are very good. I like the way he started his next series

2. AvatarBy matthieu on

I read the whole thing. The first books are really interesting and fresh. Suddenly is becomes less interesting as the content is just the same. When he introduced the new aliens he almost jumped the shark. At the same time the new series (shattered stars IIRW) is interesting all characters are grey.
        I don’t read prequels as I don’t like the idea.

His books are a little bit too US centered. I mean that the author uses far too much the current US morality and way of life to explain the way his Sci-Fi characters act.
        Ex: a major plot is “the love between the admiral and the ship captain, something obviously forbidden as they belong to the same command line”… Something which is forbidden only in the US (most other countries don’t care or expect people to behave like adults). It’s something that Destroyermen have been able to avoid as each group has its own morality.
        Ex2: politics are always corrupt and useless while admirals are perfect…

1. AvatarBy Justin on

I dunno about #2 – Hemry/Campbell’s written plenty of horrible, power-hungry officers throughout the first six alone. Unlike, let’s say, Ian Douglas, it seems pretty clear that the grievances are with bad leaders in general.

Campbell shows what might happen in the military & civilian halls of power after a century of fruitless slaughter. There are some good politicians & some bad ones with many making bad decisions for the best of reasons & vice versa. As there are now. The same goes for the military forces, with a bitter twist. I don’t want to ruin it for Taylor with specifics though. I, personally, enjoyed the series immensely & the prequels are engaging in a new start, frontier sort of way.

When I described the series to a friend I said, imagine the main character is a decent normal starship captain. But nothing extraordinary. He comes out of cryosleep to find that the prevailing doctrine of the day is “fly us closer so I can hit them with my sword.”

40. AvatarBy matthieu on

Today (for me) is the 11th on November and thus the end of WW1.

During the was Europe basically committed suicide and destroyed itself with a tremendous enthusiasm. All available weapons were used. Nowadays some areas in my country remain in the red area: completely destroyed, too dangerous for re-habitation (a 2005-2006 experiment found 216 active shells, fuses and grenades on a 100m² area, digging only up to up a 15cm depth). They are unfit for population and heavily polluted). Event forests at the location are off-limit (trees are full of splinters and too dangerous for lumberjacks and the soil if full of lead, arsenic, phosgene…).

Today 60 heads of states come and each of them visits its own war graves. There are hundreds in my area. Not hundred of graves. Hundreds of cemeteries. Each of them with 1.000 to 50.000 graves.

If you select randomly a class of 100 men, by the end of the war one 34 are dead. 23 have been wounded at least once.

Rigth now Macron and Markel are at Rethondes (place of high significance as armistices if ww1 and ww2 were signed there). Right now Trump was also expected in Bois Belleau but he cancelled “because it’s raining” (while his advisers go!). I’m really close to there and yes, there it’s just raining a little bit. This is a shame…

Hey Matthieu. Yep, I made a lengthy “11-11-11-18” post on the “Goat’s Ass” urging folks to reflect on the sacrifice of all involved, and to honor all veterans.
      As a Frenchman, your perspectives and observations are always noteworthy since you do, indeed, live upon one gigantic battlefield. It’s hard think of anyplace else on earth that has been fertilized by more blood throughout the centuries than France.
      By the way, thanks for the other little note you sent. Much appreciated, and I’ll put the contents to good use.

“During the was Europe basically committed suicide and destroyed itself with a tremendous enthusiasm.”

As I once stated, “during the World War I, the Herbert Wells vision of future replaced the Jules Verne’s”. The naive optimism of late XIX century was gone; fear and uncertainty came to rule instead.

41. AvatarBy Justin on

Can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier – shouldn’t U-112 have an Enigma machine onboard?

Assuming the Germany in the world the League of Tripoli comes from has Enigma machines. It is possible the Germans if they have them provide the codes for the League if so until the League is aware of U-112’s defection the Union will have an intelligence bonanza.

1. AvatarBy Steve White on

According to Wiki, the Japanese and the Italians had simpler versions of Enigma-like devices (electromechanical rotary wheel code machines). If so, one wonders why one wasn’t salvaged from Amagi — perhaps because the Japanese ships then didn’t have one? But the knowledge of rotary wheel coders was known from the end of WWI, so the League may well know about them. Whether U-112 has one…

2. AvatarBy Matt White on

My guess is the league changed their codes after U-112 left so small chance of eavesdropping. However the union can make use of the enigma themselves. Without Alan Turing or someone of his caliber and a computer to go with him the league has no hope of cracking their own encryption system. This is going to be a big coup for the union and go a long way to securing their comms. Enigma is poorly suited to real time tactical comms though. That can only be fixed by better comms discipline.

1. AvatarBy Justin on

The only problem I’m seeing is that IIRC, proper communication would require at least one rotor machine to transmit, and one for each recipient.

What the Union could do is take the Enigma apart, mass produce an earlier design, and put at least one in every single HQ. Still gives the Allies vital hands-on electromechnical knowledge, but the League might be able to figure the simpler machine out with enough time and resources.

Only if they have mathematicians. Number theorists and crypto experts aren’t all that common even on our world at this time. It’s highly unlikely they have anyone with the training. The League has more people but like the destroyermen their skill set in STEM is probably limited to the practical application of military hardware. Mechanical engineering and electrical engineering are going to be the most common. One big caveat is the French were big into sending their officers to get post graduate degrees. The Germans were too before the end of WW1 and their military colleges were shit down. It’s possible they may have an officer in the French contingent with a high level math degree however cracking enigma required putting the best mathematicians in Britain under one roof with a lot of resources. I don’t think that’s a feat the League could match.

As far as replicating the enigma goes, the destroyermen have experience dealing with electromechanical devices. They have been able to copy the fire control computer of Walker at least twice now and it is also an electromechanical computer. Copying an enigma won’t happen overnight but such a complex machine has to come with service and repair manuals and of course they have men trained on its use and maintenance. I think given time, especially with the skills already earned in precision machining through other projects they could make a functionally exact replica.

As far as use goes I agree. It’s for strategic comms. Not real time tactical comms. You put them on ships, at bases and in field HQs.

The key here is that it denies the league to snoop on all of their comms. The rest comes from constantly rotating codes groups from the USN code books as well as really clamping down on the rampant comms abuse in the ranks. Radio silence needs to be observed in combat areas before action starts and nothing should be broadcast in the clear. Frequencies and codes should be regularly rotated and any gear at risk of capture must be destroyed. These best practices are obvious when dealing with a technologically comparable foe but the Grik and Doms don’t have radio so bad habits have been allowed to grow. That should have changed a few books back when it became apparent they had infosec issues. If I were a union Intel officer my first priority would be to dispatch men to clean up the fleet’s and army’s act in regards to comms.

1. AvatarBy Justin on

Yeah, encrypting and decrypting urgent information in the middle of a firefight is a pretty bad idea; every second counts. Use the radio if necessary, and talk in code.

Speaking of which, callsigns for each unit or flight (Hitman Two-Actual, etc like OTL) seems doable.

Agreed, agreed and agreed. Now let’s hope they don’t get a particularly bad officer. Or one reporting “nothing to report” every single day like that douchecanoe in the Afrika Korps.

42. AvatarBy Adrian Sanada on

Mr. Anderson do you think when this series has finally come to a close you’d make a section in the back of the book like a Memorial to the Fallen? Commemorating all the Cats, Destroyermen, Impies, and so on who’ve been lost in this war to end all wars?

Interesting notion. I don’t know if the back of the final book is the best place for such a thing, though. The copy editor would probably cut it since it would be so long! On the other hand, Charles and others have kept a pretty good list on the Wiki. Might be another one of those things we could expand upon.

1. AvatarBy Adrian Sanada on

That’s very true. So many characters have come and gone that it’d probably be fifty pages of nothing but names! Still I’m glad you’re receptive to the idea itself. Honestly I don’t know how you can keep up with all the named characters you’ve made and where they’re all at.

I don’t think I could without the CoC at the end of the book. And you know, it’s amazingly sad when I delete names of characters who have died, and start prepping the CoC for the next book. Kind of makes it real. Weird.
          What’s fun, though, is when “named characters” who have been mentioned from time to time, but never made the cast because they don’t get a “big part,” or POV, suddenly jump to the front and “make the credits.”

1. AvatarBy Adrian Sanada on

Yeah you’re right I can only imagine what that must be like. Especially for when some of the “Old Breed” of characters from book one finally bite the bullet. So far when I’ve read your books I’ve gotten into the tradition of whenever a character I felt particularly attached to got their send off, I’ll set Taps to play. After watching these characters for just about a decade now I feel it’s the only fitting send off when they go.

Not really here are the 113 named Dead: A
          Adar
          Akera
          Fet-Alcas
          Rasik-Alcas
          Tassat-Ay-Aracca
          Arlskgter
          Captain Atkinson
          Brian Aubry
          B
          Pruit Barry
          Andrew Bates
          Saansa-Belkaa
          Walter Billingsly
          Gandy Bowles
          Stuart Brassy
          Jeff Brooks
          C
          Glen Carter
          Celestial Mother
          Russell Clancy
          Sam Clark
          D
          General Daanis
          Haan-Dar
          Eaan-Dat
          Leo Davis
          Conrad Diebel
          Harvey Donaghey
          Larry Dowden
          E
          David Elden
          Jim Ellis
          Geran-Eras
          Gaal-Etkaa
          F
          Haakar-Faask (General)
          Francisco Abuello Falto
          Saak-Fas (mate of Selass-Fris-Ar)
          Tom Felts
          Ru-Fet
          Staas-Fin
          Bob Flowers
          Billy Flynn
          F cont.
          Al Franklin
          Sidney Franks
          G
          Fitzhugh Gray
          Grikky
          Beth Grizzel
          Simon Gutfield
          H
          Simon Herring
          Hersh
          Lieutenant Hiro
          I
          Kukulkan de los Isla Guapas
          J
          Janssen
          K
          Rini-Kanaar
          David Kaufman
          Saama-Kera
          Captain Kurita
          Hisashi Kurokawa
          Norman Kutas
          L
          Raoul Laborde
          Becker Lange
          Mank-Lar
          Irwin Laumer
          Lef-ten-aant
          M
          Faan-Ma-Mar
          Gerald McDonald
          Jack Mackey
          Mack Marvaney
          James Silas McClain
          Ruth McDonald
          Sergeant McGinnis
          Ray Mertz
          Hara Mikawa
          Jamie Miller
          Tony Monroe
          Nakja-Mur (High Chief)
          N
          N’galsh
          Naga
          Ghanan Nerino
          O
          Sato Okada
          O cont.
          Gil Olivera
          P
          Casales Padilla
          Suaak-Pas-Ra
          Danny Porter
          Andy Powell
          R
          Kas-Ra-Ar (Sailing Master)
          Ror’at-Raal
          Ragak
          Rajendra
          Leslie Ranell
          Niaal-Ras-Kavaat
          Harrison Reed
          Righ
          Antonio Rizzo
          Richard Rogers
          Winny Rominger
          S
          Ramic-Sa-Ar
          Ra-Saan
          Risa-Sab-At
          Salig-Maa-Stir
          Loris Scurrey
          Seech
          Shighat
          Andy Simms
          Siska-Ta
          Haan-Sor-Plaar
          Frankie Steele
          Doc Stevens
          T
          Kek-Taal
          Tass
          Miami Tindal
          Rick Tolson
          Linus Truelove
          Tsalka
          V
          Alfred Vernon
          Adler Von Melhausen
          W
          Sandy Whitcomb

Some of those aren’t heroes so they wouldn’t be in the list but it’s a solid starting place.

43. AvatarBy john on

im a big fan have all the books in audio from audible.com. was just looking at audiobook.com and noticed a review of ROB by someone who obviously hasn’t listened to the previous books. they gave you a 1 out of 5 . it sounded like they thought this was a standalone book and i was confused till i looked at the book cover and realized the cover does not say book 13 or reference the series it just says destroyermen at the top. you may want to change that before too many bad reviews kill sales of the book series

Thanks for the heads up, John, but there’s nothing I can do about that. Maybe a marketing decision? The HCs all have a list of previous books inside–that’s where I always look to make sure I’m not jumping into something in the middle–but I guess there’s no real way to do that electronically. Then again, seems like Amazon (isn’t that where people buy Audibles?) usually states “#5 of 13” or something like that? Either way, I haven’t looked at the review you describe. Seems like most of the really negative ones usually read like either they didn’t read it, (lots of “reviewers” actually LIKE to trash highly ranked stuff just for hoots, believe it or not), they’re mad because they can’t get the Kindle for .99, (like I have anything to do with that), or they just honestly don’t like the story. Oh yeah, some people hate all the technical stuff, or character development, and others hate that there’s not enough character development and technical stuff??!!. Nothing I can do about any of that and you can’t please everybody so I just do my best to write the best story I can and let the hate roll off. I have big shoulders. As always, I DO appreciate good reviews, of course, and they really do help–so please feel free to post one of you’re inclined.

1. AvatarBy john on

i have been an audible platinum member since before it was purchased by Amazon and yes they do state very clearly that a book is book 13 for example . the site i was browsing was audiobook.com . i have not used them before and was surprised by that review and that the ROB page did not show book number. they only listed 5 reviews but only the really negative review was accessable.
        keep up the good work personnally i think you walk the line quite well between too much and not enough detail as well as the line between too much detail reguarding the gore of battle and brushing off that aspect of war .

44. AvatarBy Charles Simpson on

Happy Halloween a WW 2 magazine cover with American Soldiers scaring a Jap with a Jack-o-lantern:

American soldiers scare Jap with jack-o-lantern.png

Originally shown on the Destroyermen Fan Assn page.

Hey! Yesterday was Halloween! Easy to tell when I’m pretty absorbed in what I’m writing . . .
        I’ve seen that magazine cover before, and I may actually HAVE it. Have to look. My grandfather started one of the first radio stations and recording studios in Texas, (Big Spring), certainly west of Ft Worth, back in 1927. As a news outlet, he received papers and magazines from all over the country, and along with the tens of thousands of 78s going back to the teens, he also had similar numbers of those papers and magazines, um, “archived,” here and there. For good or bad, he had a “never throw anything interesting away” attitude–which I share on a comparatively microscopic scale.
        When my grandfather passed, I was tasked with cleaning everything out. This included his music/sporting goods store (also around since the 20s), basements in several buildings, (some flooded), and various storage/warehouses on other properties he owned. Trying to sort out what was valuable and what was junk, for the benefit of my grandmother, was my first real exposure to archeology.
        Anyway, back to the point, I KNOW I’ve seen that magazine, and for every, say, 1000 cubic feet of stuff I trashed or liquidated, I may have kept a few cubic inches. This includes the cream (to my tastes) of 78s, a few radios dating back to the teens, (including the first US Army wireless transmitter for airplanes, and a couple of stacks of historically interesting magazines. Like my interest in first edition history books written during or immediately after their subject, (examples: “History of the War of 1898” c.1898, “The Great War” c. 1919, “Life of General Scott” c. 1852, “The Rough Riders” c. 1899,” I consider these magazines to be snapshots of period perception, uncolored by hindsight–and certainly by modern revisionist perspectives. (Hindsight might’ve been 20-20 once, but it is increasingly distorted).
        Oh well. Weird that seeing that magazine cover conjured such a stream of revelations and observations!

By the way, the Rough Riders book was courtesy of Charles! Maybe that’s what lit the subconscious boiler.

Is that old glass radio still in the “couple of cupic inches” 😉

45. AvatarBy Johm on

As always, your books are an incredible read. One question, do you plan on any ships from Halsey’s typhoon crossing over?

Thanks John. Well, if anything comes through Halsey’s typhoon, it won’t be anything that actually experienced it. Against the rules. :)

46. AvatarBy Adrian Sanada on

Just finished River of Bones this morning and I have to say it was a fantastic ride all the way through. I can’t wait for June to roll around just to have Mr. Anderson hit me right in my feels like he’s done with each book so far.

1. AvatarBy Henry Breinig on

I certainly agree. River of Bones was quite the good read, though it being a Destroyermen book, that’s to be expected at this point.

Thanks Henry. It was a tough one in many ways but I loved writing it.

Leave a Reply to Adrian Sanada Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *