March 17

General Discussions

Devil’s Due is on the loose!  Get yours today!

Devil's Due

Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted March 17, 2016 by Taylor Anderson in category "Uncategorized

3,621 COMMENTS :

1. By Joe Thorsky on

So very Sylph like in their behavior.
    As an inspiration for all of us to imitate, we do remember and commemorate the
    76th Anniversary of the April 18, 1942 Doolittle Raid. The acts and deeds of these true Heroes will not be so easily forgotten from our collective memories.
    Mankind at its very best.

Re Sylphs-Sometimes they are depicted as cloud beings. Sylphs are responsible for the myths of angels, the winged protectors of the Garden of Eden. Their attitudes embody the extremes of nature, mercurial and intense. Most of all, they defend the high peaks and wilderness mountains that are their home.
    As creatures of the air the great wings of the Sylph allow them to soar with the eagles.
    Sylphs are believed to be an offshoot branch of the sidhe, a supernatural race comparable to the fairies or elves, also winged rulers of the dream world, controllers of the weather and the great birds of the mountains both regal in manner.
    Theirs is an ancient and proud legacy that some believe is dying out. Most sylphs feel that this is the end of their race, that they will be the first of the kiths to slip into the Fimbulwinter. It is for this reason that they have come down from their mountains and rejoined changeling society in large numbers. If they are to cease to exist, then at least they will be remembered for the honor, glory and majesty that is inherent to their kind.
    Sylphs care little for the machinations and politics of “ground folk”, and they rarely interfere with changeling society. Like trolls, sylphs hold their word of honor to be inviolate, and once sworn to protect something, they will defend it to (or even past) their death.

1. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

Indeed, Joe, re the Tokyo raid. And in that vein I’d like to once again honor my cousin, Lt. Kenneth Reddy (Matt’s namesake) who was co-pilot of Plane #11 (Hari Carrier) on that raid–though he actually bombed Yokohama. I never knew him since he did not survive the war, but I once met General Doolittle at an airshow. I was just a kid standing in line for an autograph, but when he learned I was related to one of his lost Raiders, he treated me like family and it was like everyone else in the line ceased to exist.
      I may not know much, but I grew up surrounded by heroes and have been honored to meet many more. I can damn sure tell the difference between the real thing and those who “play them on TV.”

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Taylor
        A reintroduction of yourself to your readers and followers
        seemed to be quite in order here.

A Rebalancing of the books and the squaring of dormant accounts
        Something that’s more to a dispassionate Narrative than just Pilot Error
        Newark, NJ Lear-25 Jet Crashes, Mar 1983

On a more personal note:
        I would like to take a somber and sorrowful moment of reflection and prayerful remembrance for another almost forgotten fallen aircrew. Fellow travelers and conflicted colleagues they, who had somehow managed to both survive that most gruesome and cruelest of wars over there only to become expendable forgotten and ignored casualties of a conscience driven faux peace over here.
        On this the 35th Anniversary of their pointless, senseless and tragic demise and passing. A woefully inadequate contribution to the Wake they so were deserving of and never really had.
        I still Remember

To paraphrase Silva, “You’re a philosophyzer, Joe, I’ve always said so.” Oops. He may not’ve said that yet . . .

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Taylor

Taylor
            You did mean to say “often enough Stoned Philosophizer” didn’t you?

Impulse decision-making at the speed of thoughtlessness and not thoughtfulness seems to be abnormally commonplace in the new Reality that we have accidently transited into. I find myself amazed, perplexed and somewhat bewildered to encounter so many Seepskined experts be so inadequately instructed and trained
            In the disciplines of Government, Political Science and Economics.
            Less emphasis in the Das Capital and more of Wealthy Friedman seems to be in order right here, right now.

2. By Charles Simpson on

Hey he put up the new Courtney blurb, (Warning spoilers if you have not read Devil’s Due Move over to World’s I’ve Wondered.

For those wanting to be spoiled a reviewer put up the first half of Chapter 1 or River of Bones on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/River-Bones-Destroyermen-Taylor-Anderson-ebook/dp/B076GQ6BRY/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AV0B7EZS82815Z5WGESF

Scroll down to the review. So you got Courtney’s book excerpt, and the first half of Chapter 1. Wish they’d leak the prologue so you meet the new lower ranking Grik, sigh. I’m on my seventh read through and River of Bones is a hoot finding new stuff every read through. This one is nigh on non stop action!

3. By Matt on

Charles, you got me way too excited there for a second. Imagine how deflated I was when I saw pre-order for July 10th.

Awesome, Nestor. Love the rust (probably why Gray looks so sour!) and everything else, of course. Lots more detail pops. Love the copper patches too.

1. By Nestor on

Thanks! The new paint app I use nowadays has textured brush effects like rust that I can apply quickly, as opposed to the rust streaks on the superstructure and 4″ 50, which I drew by hand back in the day and was quite time consuming.

2. By Matt on

Nice man. I always envisioned the Lemurians to be a bit stockier and shorter but I’m loving your vision.

2. By Justin on

Looked up “mosquito hawk” the other day, and it actually refers to the crane fly (which actually doesn’t hunt mosquitoes).

So would the P-2 keep to the hawks (Sparrowhawk, Warhawk, Kittyhawk), or would the Union start naming them after insects (Mantis, Wasp, Hornet)?
    Or would they start a new convention and go with Grikbirds? I can imagine Silva and his “terror soars” already.

1. By Charles Simpson on

How about the Chi-kaash Raash (Hell layer) a new two engine torpedo bomber.

1. By Steve Moore on

Like it! Hunter-Mo might be culturally insensitive, though.

1. By Matt on

Aircraft names take inspiration from a lot of places, flying animals of course; eagle, hornet, hawk. Natural phenomena; thunderbolt, lightning. Powerful animals; mustang, wildcat. And stuff that just sounds cool; spitfire, hellcat, thunderchief, sabre. Unlike ships where DD’s are named after heroes, carriers are named after battles etc planes can be named after whatever. There doesn’t have to be a set system.

1. By Generalstarwars333 on

I mean…the US Navy had the F4F Wildcat, the F6F Hellcat, the F7F Tigercat, the F8F Bearcat, the F9F Panther(a cat), the F-9 Cougar(yet another cat), the F-11 Tiger(also a cat), and the F-14 Tomcat, so they all stuck to a theme of cats. Also, I think the reason for a variety of names is that the planes just have a designation (e.g. P-51), and the name comes from the people actually using it.

1. By Matt on

You bring up a good point, but to go a bit deeper major US aircraft companies had themes with their names. Republic had the thunder- line, Thunderbolt, thunderjet, thunderstreak, thundershreak, thunderchief. The “cats” are all Grumman. And McDonnell Douglas had ghost themed planes, banshee, demon, phantom etc. Curtiss-Wright had a lot of bird themed planes like the Hawks.

1. By Justin on

In addition, every attack helo’s been named after First Nations tribes.
            And on the British side, you’ve got Bristol having all their bomber start with B, Handley-Page with H and Vickers with V (to absurd extremes in the latter’s case… “Vildebeest?”).

Point is, successful models tend to have their nicknames carried on – as if the manufacturers are saying “it’s just like the last one, but WAY better.”

2. By Steve Moore on

Waiting for the F-35 to be renamed the BudgetBuster.

2. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

Good question. Obviously, Mallory went with “hawk” because he was Air Corps and HATED that “Nancy” had wound up the name of his floatplane. The Mosquito Hawk moniker was an allusion to his own sense of humor and irony–and he could call ’em what he wanted, until Silva hung “Flea-shooter” on them. As for any upcoming names, the ‘Cats might have more to say this time around–unless it’s unpronounceable, and Silva (if he’s still around) will probably call them what HE wants to anyway. How far his names for things spreads depends on who he’s exposed to at the time. If he’s running around “playing Marine,” as he calls it, any nickname is likely to spread more quickly among ground forces. If he’s “back in the Navy,” it’ll probably spread quicker there.

3. By David B on

Question for you all: If you were Reddy, what would you do with Surcouf? Personally, I would send her to Baalkpan where they would pull a gun out of No. 3 turret and replace the burst gun in No. 1. I’d then mothball turret 3 and the remaining gun, and use the remaining gun as a template to make more. could be useful for shore defense or a ship like a Lord Clive-type monitor with the 18 inch guns from Furious, or even a larger, heavy cruiser. I’d then use the barbette for the No. 3 turret as a spot for a Nancy catapult and some AA guns. I’d then replace all of her hull mounted secondaries with regular 4″/50s, and any and all deck mounted secondaries with DP 4″/50s. Ammo production for the 4″/50s is already in full swing, so they don’t have to worry about retooling to make more ammo for Savoie’s existing secondaries. As for Savoie’s current secondaries, put them in storage for now, or mount them on shore somewhere. Whatever ammo they have in Savoie’s magazines, that is it for now, though, so it’d have to be somewhere they’d be used sparingly, or somewhere that can quickly start production of the needed caliber of shell. I’d also mount more AA on the turret roofs, maybe copies of the 25mm guns from Amagi.

1. By David B on

sorry, i meant Savoie. I finished a night at work not too long ago, so I’m dead tired

2. By Alexey Shiro on

Savoie, you mean?

Well, she needed some refit, clearly. If they have time and resources – probably put her into drydock, install bulges, increase the thickness of main armored deck.

3. By Justin on

I’d question the wisdom of replacing a fully-functional turret with a catapult – Savoie already has one. Well, had one before the rear funnel fell on it, but it shouldn’t be too hard to install a new one.

Makes a bit more sense to just yank both guns out of Turret 1, R&D some homemade 13.4s (maybe get the Republic to do it), then fit the new guns in later.

4. By Steve Moore on

Trade her to the Republic for arty, ore and a few airfields. They get a jumpstart on seaworthy capital ship and have better experience with larger caliber guns anyway. A lot closer to tow as well, and while they’re going along the coast of Grikatania, get in some target practice.

1. By donald johnson on

Trading her to theRrepublic will get lots of brownie points for Ready. What to trade for would be 4 or 5 Fast screw driven hulls that can be retrofitted as Ready needs

5. By Matt on

After the invasion, where her artillery even in local control would be super helpful, I’d send her to Balkpan. She needs a refit to be an effective fighting ship but she is also a treasure trove of intel on how to build large scale steel warships with big guns. After studying her in depth I would use her as a training ship for the inevitable classes of larger ships to come. Reddy isn’t keen on battlewagons but proper heavy cruisers and panzershiffs are good ideas and weather and circumstances dont always allow for air attacks. Savoie would be a good learning aide both for designers and crews to get accustomed to these ships. After that purpose is served then I would use her in the east against the Doms. Savoie is in effect immune to anything they have and could probably run the pass of fire on her own.

4. By Justin on

Would a Surcouf-type sub be advanced enough to travel through the Arctic (like the modern Russian/US subs can) and come up in the Pacific? Might be something else for the Union and Empire to watch out for.

1. By Steve Moore on

Well, if they can hold their breath for a couple of weeks…

2. By donald j johnson on

it would have no reason whatsoever to go through the Arctic Ice underwater going around the tip of South America a submarine should have no trouble whatsoever it would also not have any trouble going around Africa underwater. besides did you consider the fact that Taylor’s world is in an ice age and that it’s ice packs are probably thicker than our worlds

1. By Justin on

The world’s in a receding ice age. And unlike the big continental glaciers and ice shelves, ocean ice is often just metre-thick sheets and icebergs.

All the League’d need is a base in Britain (assuming nobody’s home), and then they could wait for the summer thaw and sneak into the Bering Sea, like in OTL. It’d be hard, of course, but no harder than sailing the sub three times as far and past the combined Allied navies in order to reach the same target.

1. By Steve Moore on

Receding, yeah, but this isn’t a snowstorm in Atlanta. They MIGHT get through in 500 to 1000 years…

1. By Justin on

It’s not the Donner Party either. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_glacial_period

“The Arctic Ocean between the huge ice sheets of America and Eurasia was not frozen throughout, but like today probably was only covered by relatively shallow ice, subject to seasonal changes and riddled with icebergs calving from the surrounding ice sheets. According to the sediment composition retrieved from deep-sea cores there must even have been times of seasonally open waters.”

All I’m saying is that even a month or two of relatively clear water would mess things up badly for an unprepared Union.

2. By Steve Moore on

Well, we’ll wait to see what Taylor creates. Just make sure there’s enough ice to keep the Mi-Anaakaa and Impies in iced tea.

Wonder if they have lemons?

2. By Steve Moore on

Arctic North, Antarctic South. Pre WW2 subs still needed to come up for air and battery charges every 24 hours

1. By Justin on

The PQ and QP convoys ran the gauntlet just fine. From what I can tell, they were more worried about the Kriegsmarine.

No doubt it’ll be colder and the ice less navigable, but it’s just one or two cruiser subs and a tender – it’s not like we’re talking about the Titanic or the Franklin expedition.

1. By Justin on

Doesn’t need to be – she just has to wait for the ice to thaw in the summer, like in OTL.

1. By Steve Moore on

Dutch invention. Wonder if they lost to the Germans of this world..

2. By Justin on

Wouldn’t be surprised if they did – the Netherlands are a bit like Britain, but smaller and without a moat between them and Europe. Not a good location in a world war.

3. By Matt on

I’d say no. Surcouf’s range was only 70nm at creep speed on batteries. To my knowledge she did not have anything like a snorkel, that was German WW2 era technology and unique to them until post war. Even if she did an ice sheet would prevent you from using it. pre-war subs simply didn’t have a lot of range on battery power. It’s better to think of these boats as wet surface ships that had the ability to dive for short periods. They are submersibles rather than true submarines. Nobody took a sub to the north pole until Nautilus because you needed a nuke to do it. Modern AIP subs that have underwater endurance measured in weeks may be able to pull it off but I’d be hesitant, any issues and they may be screwed. Conning Towers/Sails also have to be designed with breaking ice in mind. A WW2 sub would likely severely damage itself trying that maneuver.

1. By Matt on

I just had a thought, the Germans started fitting snorkels late war in our world but there is no technological reason they couldn’t have been done earlier. Just nobody had thought of them before and it took awhile to engineer them properly. The type VII U-boat dates from 1936 on so its likely the German subs in League use are either these or similar in capability. If someone in Wilhelmshaven had the idea a bit earlier then there’s no reason the early model Type VIIs couldn’t have snorkels. That would be a serious threat.

1. By Steve Moore on

Snorkels in our world were reaction to anti-sub air & radar; Dutch invented before the war but i don’t think there are any Dutchmen in Balkaapaan

There probably are a few Dutch naval personnel in Baalkpan or Maa-ni-la. Conrad Diebel wasn’t Navy but he was Dutch and probably wasn’t the only one of that nationality to survive Mizuki Maru. Doesn’t mean anybody’s familiar with Schnorkels, though, just sayin’.

2. By Justin on

Does this mean more previously-anonymous POWs jumping into the limelight, like Stokes did?

1. By Steve Moore on

Nice work, Nestor. Think you ought to apply for the cover art job. Or if Taylor gets into graphic novels (or just teaser previews)….

1. By Nestor on

Thanks! I’ve got a hunch he’s already warming up to the idea of having a graphic adaptation of some kind.

1. By Steve Moore on

It would be an opportunity to investigate episodic story lines of a shorter duration, maybe test out some character development like an expedition to West Africa or exploration of the area around St Francis or San Diego.,

1. By Justin on

Backstories or midquels would be good too: King Tony of the Khonashi, or the Indo-British settling Hawaii.

Or for a longer series, perhaps the Romans washing up in Cleopatra IX’s Alex-aandra and uniting the Lemurians, Chinese, Africans and Greco-Egyptians to fight off the Grik invasion.

2. By Steve Moore on

Not to mention one hell of a trailer for the book release in July. Just a few pages of generic combat…

2. By Charles Simpson on

This has been discussed on our fan fiction page one of Taylor’s art contest winners, David Ford, has made several comic book like covers here is a link to his latest from a suggestion of combining a western and destroyermen

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211577831942010&set=p.10211577831942010&type=3&theater&ifg=1

PS Don’t forget our Fan Fiction Contest You can win an autographed copy of River of Bones from Taylor. DO NOT SEND FAN FICTION TO TAYLOR ANDERSON HE WON’T READ IT OR FORWARD IT!

3. By Charles Simpson on

Destroyermen Fan Association’s Fan Fiction Contest:

* * * Fan Fiction Contest #2 * * *

Prize autographed hardback of the next book ‘River of Bones’. Dead line for submission July 9, 2018. Length suit yourself some where between 10 and 25 pages would be nice, but can be as large a file as Facebook will accept as a PDF. Please put the words DESTROYERMEN FAN-FICTION CONTEST ENTRY as the first line. above the title, The winner will be chosen by a poll Depending on the number of entries the Association Leadership will select their favorite four stories for the poll voting.
          To keep our favorite author out of legal hassles write one of the two types of stories

1) Write something with established circumstances as a backdrop, but from another perspective. Just some grunt in the trenches around Baalkpan or a pilot in Tikker’s 1st Air wing when they’re trying to bash the Grik dreadnoughts when they first show up. Or a Dom crew member on Matarife. Or maybe some Maroon “cap’n” who doesn’t think working with Chack and the Allies is a good idea. Or one of the Erokis running from the Super lizard MTB7 torpedoes in the Mangoro river. etc.

2) Write a back story using one of Taylor’s dead characters . 110 possibilities to choose from, Like sword and swashbuckling Haaker Faask is available, like the navy many of Walker’s original crew have died.

Taylor Anderson will not read any of the Fan Fictions not even the winner of this or other Fan Fiction Contests. DO NOT SEND ANY FAN-FICTION TO TAYLOR ANDERSON HE WON’T READ OR FORWARD THEM!!!.

Entries on our Fan Fiction page only:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1076206972451470/

1. By Steve Moore on

Thanks, Charles. Have to wait until I get a piece of NON-FAN fiction done… my 2017 Federal Tax return.

2. By Justin on

Nice. Are those traditional Grik banners, or did Niwa help with them?

1. By Nestor on

I envisioned that uniforms and banners were a collaborative development between Niwa and Halik. That’s why I gave it all a samurai/shogun vibe.

3. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

That is freaking awesome–and taken from an exact scene (almost)as if you sucked it out of my head. You need to send that to my e-mail so I can post it.

1. By Charles Simpson on

Taylor how about the size of the Grik Nestor wrote: “So it happens I do remember reading that the average Grik is as tall or taller than the average human but only when they stand up straight on their tiptoes. In other words, they are, on average, as long from snout to tail as a human is from head to toe. However, while on their natural stance, the top of a Grik head reaches about chest high next to a human. Another example: Lawrence reaches about as tall as Silva’s hip or belly button while a Khonashi is only slightly taller and a Grik is taller still, but not by much.” I still remember Pete recognizing Halik because he was so much bigger than the average Grik. This is a fabulous art the lower left seeing the chunks of meat fly from the double Kopesh (ancient Egyptian sword) strike WOW!!!!

1. By Nestor on

Chunks of meat?? That’s supposed to be kicked up rocks and debris! Is it their color or shape?

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Could go either way. Might be a bit redder & with blood spray if it were chunky chicken though. :)

4. By Lou Schirmer on

Nestor, I’m coming around to your point of view, size wise. Charles posted a size comparison of the various Dromaosaurids on Facebook. It’s a bit hard to see some of the names, but I don’t think anyone would have survived if the Grik were Utahraptor sized. They’re probably in the exact range you imaged them at, somewhere between Utahraptor & Deinonychus Antirrhopus (or #5 & #6). Good eye, my man! Here’s a link to the actual pic for more details.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dromaeosauridae#/media/File:Dromaeosaurs.png

1. By Nestor on

So it happens that pic was actually one of the many sources I used in my drawing. Charles posted it in his FB DMen page, ran a survey and emailed me the results.

This was my response to him: I actually used that one picture to decide that Lawrence is exactly the size of #6, Petey, #1 and the average Grik somewhat smaller than #3 but not by much. Taylor did confirm to me that Halik was a bit taller than what I drew. He said: “he’s been described several times as bigger than average, actually taller than Kurokawa (but he was short) and able to look Pete Alden in the eye”. This fits my view that Grik standing at ease are no taller than the average human. In other words, if Grik were able to sail comfortably inside copies of indiamen originally designed by men, using human proportions, then they should be no bigger than your average human. That’s how I ultimately chose what size I wanted them to be.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

I’m wondering if the Grik are similar in some ways to some of their current cousins in our world (reptiles & amphibians), in that they continue to grow as they age. Many reptiles & amphibs grow rapidly to maturity & then continue to grow slowly throughout their lives, which contribute to some old monsters amongst the crocodiles & larger lizards. Most of the Grik Uul & Hij probably live shortish life spans, but the Hij with easier lives (Esshk, The Chooser & The Celestial Mother etc.) seem to be considerably larger. Perhaps Courtney can weigh in on this?

1. By Nestor on

Allow me to don my big ridiculous sombrero and wax poetic: According to paleontologists, their current cousins would be ostriches and emus, heck, pretty much any type of bird to be honest, even down to chickens and pigeons. In fact, I chose pics of dun-colored chickens as basis for my feather coloring. In some of the paleoart guides I used, it was suspected that as dromeosaurids age, they just lose feathers around the head and go all wrinkly like vultures and condors.

2. By Charles Simpson on

Courtney notes that they are full sized by age 3 intellect later as they go from Ull to Hij.

3. By donald j johnson on

All Reptiles continue to grow but the grik are not reptiles,they are actually related to birds and dinosaurs. you will find that Birds stop growing by the time they’re one yea old. you have to remember that the first Birds had teeth as well as the bill that they have. Birds developed wings to fly and the grik developed arms to grab with

4. By Justin on

There’s frequent comparisons to insect hives. Perhaps “queen” Grik and “soldier” Grik are biologically inclined to grow larger?

5. By Charles Simpson on

If the Destroyermen series were made into movies who would you cast?

For Courtney Bradford Paul ‘Crocodile Dundee’ I can see him saying, “That isn’t a sea monster that’s a plesiosaur, or That’s not a super lizard that’s an allosaur,”

So what’s your suggestion for a favorite character?

1. By Jeff on

Good choice. Karl Urban is a bit young but could do it with makeup. He made a good Dr.McCoy

6. By David B on

Holy Cow is Paul Allen on a roll! Just a few weeks ago he found Lady Lex, and last weekend he found USS Jeneau (CL-52), The Fighting Sullivan Brothers’s ship!

1. By Jeff on

You’re not kidding! I’d bet found he just big pieces though – Juneau did gown down with a big BOOM. I didn’t know about this until I saw your post and have only started reading articles but right now I am wondering how he identified it

7. By Frederick Smith on

I’ve been re-reading the series and have a question. Is there anyone else who believes the wrecked ship discovered by the two Alliance pilots after their trip across Mexico might be the USS Cyclops?

1. By Justin on

Could be Proteus or Nereus, or some alternate timeline collier like “Neptune.” Mr Anderson’s definitely not going to tell us which.

1. By Steve Moore on

Seems like the Nussies have been a lot more active on the meet and greet front, if they know about the Empire, the Doms, the LOT, even the Lemurians (secondhand). Plus the mysterious folks up in Cleveland and the guys the LOT’s so worried about. Guess Taylor will get round to introducing them to us eventually. It’s going to be interesting to see if the Squall is a worldwide phenomenon… or there’s a different type for inland transfers, created by Galactus or whoever’s running the show up in the control booth with Taylor.

2. By Steve Moore on

It’s the ship the crew of the ‘Mary Deare’ transferred to…

8. By David B on

It may be St. Patrick’s Day, but it is also the 75th birthday of this gorgeous beauty!

https://imgur.com/gallery/iZgXwQ4

If you are ever in this neck of the woods, I HIGHLY reccomend visiting her! She is kept in immaculate condition, and her radar set is believed to be the oldest operational set in the world.

9. By Joe Thorsky on

O’ boyo! O’ boyo!
    As we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day Destroyermen style, the speculative alcoholic juices are overflowing and just can’t be satiated or quenched without paying a proper tribute and Homage to one of Halsey’s finest and favorites.

It’s a taterd tale without Blarney, of the US Navy and not the Air Force or Army.
    So let’s have a shot and a beer to all those tin can sailors and non-engineers.
    That Irish sinker of subs using broadsides of Spuds
    This Spuds for you!
    http://shipcomrade.com/news/136/the-maine-potato-incident-uss-o-bannon-dd-450.html

1. By Lou Schirmer on

I’d love to see the after action report on that one! I’d also liked to have been a fly on the wall listening to the captain explaining it to his superiors.

2. By Steve Moore on

They didn’t have time to grab the much deadlier 50 pound hunks of corned beef, capable of shattering and spraying brined shrapnel across the deck.. Huzza for the Aroostook Artillery School and their Kennebec Curve balls!

10. By Joe Thorsky on

Everyone:
    What better way to help celebrate St Patrick’s Day
    Destroyermen style!
    History is the hardest and cruelest of teacher of them all.
    So, it’s back to foreign and military power basics whether it’s prefabricated and coming from Taylor’s Control- Alt- History World or the tumultuous uncertain one influenced and reinforced by the reality of today’s current events. Lessons learned, unlearned and relearned is the story in the making.
    Additional recommended readings in anticipation of Taylor’s ROB
    1. From The End of the Barbary Terror
    America’s 1815 War Against the Pirates of North Africa
    Fredrick C Leiner

“In such an enlightened, in such a liberal age, how is it possible the great maritime powers of Europe should submit to pay an
    annual tribute to the little piratical States of Barbary? Would
    to Heaven we had a navy able to reform those enemies to mankind, or crush them into non-existence.”
    George Washington to the Marquis de la Fayette
    August 15, 1786

“And never again will our Jonathan pay
    A tribute to potentate, pirate or dey
    Nor any, but that which forever is given:
    The tribute to valor and virtue and heaven”

“And again if his deyship should bully and fume,
    Or hereafter his claim to this tribute resume,
    We’ll send him Decatur once more to defy him,
    And his Motto shall be, if you please, Carpe Diem.”
    DR. C—-, “Carpe Diem”

2. From To the Shores of Tripoli
    By A.B.C. Whipple
    William Morrow And Company Inc

“Edward Preble is best remembered for his “Boys” who made
    the greatest contribution to winning the War of 1812, as is
    Joshua Humphreys for those big, fast, heavy gunned frigates.
    Steven Decatur was lionized by Congress and the public when
    He returned from finally subduing the dey, the bey, and the bashaw.”
    “Perhaps the least remembered of the Barbary War’s dramatis
    Personae is Presley Neville O’Bannon- his name misspelled on his trophy sword, his rank incorrect on his grave.”

“It was also the first US attempt to blockade another nation, bombard its capital, and mount a land war across the desert, fighting alongside Arabs against other Arabs. It also reverberates with the implacable religious animosity of a holy war of Muslims against the infidel invaders.”…
    “Thus a little band of petty despots along the Barbary coast were in large part responsible for the formation of the United States Navy and Marine Corps. It challenged the infant US with many of its first major foreign policy problems, including such tests of national will and morality as tribute versus force, concern for US hostages, and honoring promises made to an
    Ally.”…
    Significant foreign policy and naval and military precedents
    were set in the course of the Barbary war, decisions that have a bearing on similar dilemmas (being faced) today.

“Madison, unlike Jefferson, had the consent of Congress, whose members finally voted a declaration of war (After the treaty of Ghent was ratified formally ending The War of 1812 between Great Britain and the United States)

See Also
    Fletcher Destroyer USS O’Bannon dd 987
    At Destroyer history website

11. By Joe Thorsky on

Jeff-Steve-Lou
    History is the hardest and cruelest of teacher of them all.
    So, it’s back to foreign and military power basics whether it’s prefabricated and coming from Taylor’s Control- Alt- History World or the tumultuous uncertain one influenced and reinforced by the reality of today’s current events.
    Lessons learned, unlearned and relearned is the story in the making.
    Additional recommended readings
    in anticipation of Taylor’s ROB release.
    1. From The End of the Barbary Terror
    America’s 1815 War Against the Pirates of North Africa
    Fredrick C Leiner

“In such an enlightened, in such a liberal age, how is it possible the great maritime powers of Europe should submit to pay an
    annual tribute to the little piratical States of Barbary? Would
    to Heaven we had a navy able to reform those enemies to mankind, or crush them into non-existence.”
    George Washington to the Marquis de la Fayette
    August 15, 1786

“And never again will our Jonathan pay
    A tribute to potentate, pirate or dey
    Nor any, but that which forever is given:
    The tribute to valor and virtue and heaven”

“And again if his deyship should bully and fume,
    Or hereafter his claim to this tribute resume,
    We’ll send him Decatur once more to defy him,
    And his Motto shall be, if you please, Carpe Diem.”
    DR. C—-, “Carpe Diem”

2. From To the Shores of Tripoli
    By A.B.C. Whipple
    William Morrow And Company Inc

“Edward Preble is best remembered for his “Boys” who made
    the greatest contribution to winning the War of 1812, as is
    Joshua Humphreys for those big, fast, heavy gunned frigates.
    Steven Decatur was lionized by Congress and the public when
    He returned from finally subduing the dey, the bey, and the bashaw.”
    “Perhaps the least remembered of the Barbary War’s dramatis
    Personae is Presley Neville O’Bannon- his name misspelled on his
    trophy sword, his rank incorrect on his grave.”

“It was also the first US attempt to blockade another nation, bombard its capital, and mount a land war across the desert, fighting alongside Arabs against other Arabs. It also reverberates with the implacable religious animosity of a holy war of Muslims against the infidel invaders.”…
    “Thus a little band of petty despots along the Barbary coast were in large part responsible for the formation of the United States Navy and Marine Corps. It challenged the infant US with many of its first major foreign policy problems, including such tests of national will and morality as tribute versus force, concern for US hostages, and honoring promises made to an
    Ally.”…
    Significant foreign policy and naval and military precedents
    were set in the course of the Barbary war, decisions that have a bearing on similar dilemmas (being faced) today.

“Madison, unlike Jefferson, had the consent of Congress, whose members finally voted a declaration of war (After the treaty of Ghent was ratified formally ending The War of 1812 between Great Britain and the United States)

See Also
    Fletcher Destroyer O’Bannon
    http://www.navysite.de/dd/dd987
    http://destroyerhistory.org/fletcherclass/ussobannon/index.asp?r=45000&pid=45001

12. By David B on

Seeing as I am no longer under moderation, I shall attempt to share this with you all again.

I built this model of a Kennebec-class Fleet Oiler over several months on my lunch breaks at work. it is my first attempt at disruptive camouflage, and I got a little lazy at the end. The camo is supposed to continue up the superstructure’s sides and ends. there still remains some cleanup to do (almost a year later!) regarding the paint, and I still have to apply the rigging (No idea how to do that) and the decals (again, no idea). I’m thinking USS Chiwawa, AO-68, that is still in service on the Great Lakes as a bulk carrier under the name MV Lee A Tregurtha. (her steam plant was removed in the mid-2000s, IIRC)

https://imgur.com/a/AUrDX

1. By David B on

thank you. one of the few ship models that I have completed. the first two I completed were for a diorama of the Battle of Hampton Roads. I got impatient with that one, so it doesn’t look too good. that was a 2-in-1 Lindberg kit. The Oiler is a lindberg kit as well. I have an unbuilt model of Arizona lying around I need to get to, and I am already eyeballing a USS Missouri kit! (probably gonna turn that one into Wisconsin, as I live there)

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Also, usually you’re only moderated if you include more than one hyperlink per post.

2. By Lou Schirmer on

Very Nice. Rigging is always a pain. Tweezers come in handy & do your blocks & tackle before you attach (tie) them to the masts or booms.

1. By David B on

model didn’t come with blocks and tackle. The thing is 1:525th scale.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Gotcha. If you do want to rig it, try black sewing thread. Tie running loops, attach to the masts or booms, tighten, apply a dab of glue. Let it dry & clip the running end. Then tie it to the next mast, or glue it to a deck fitting, or whatever strikes your fancy.

2. By David B on

Lou, the model came with sewing thread, thank god, but no instructions on how to run the rigging! All I have is a picture on the back of the box! worse, it isn’t even a good picture! Shows a side view, not an isometric view!

3. By Lou Schirmer on

Dude, you’re screwed! :) Just kidding. You could try finding a hires pic of the ship on-line to see what the rigging looks like. That way you can figure out how in-depth you want to go, the whole hog, basic lines & a flag, or whether to call it done with the paint job.

4. By Lou Schirmer on

This your kit?
            http://round2corp.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/HL438-US-Navy-Tanker-Packaging-1.jpg
            There are some decent pics on-line showing rigging layout also & some of those are models. Whatever you do, finish the paint first. Going from boom to boom, you can just gently tie each off & put a dab of glue on the tie, then run it to the deck. The deck connection is the hard part if you want it to look good. You can either glue straight to the deck, melt a hole in the deck with a needle & run the thread into that & glue it, or the hard way. Take about a 16/18 gauge wire, form a very small loop with it, melt a hole with a needle where it’s to be mounted & put the ends of the loop in it with a dab of glue, when it’s dry tie the rigging to the loop. I’m probably outraging all the serious modelers out there, but that’s what I used to do back when I was building kits. Don’t ask how long ago that was.

2. By Steve Moore on

I would probably have to start with a Monitor kit.

13. By Jeff on

So Paul Allen found Lady Lex. How cool is that? The few pics we’ve seen are absolutely stunning. I wonder what the wreck site looks like overall. Hopefully we’ll eventually see.

14. By Jeff on

Random thoughts.

Just preordered River of Bones and looking forward to it. Having just shoveled out from yet another foot+ of snow I am definitely looking forward to sitting out on a hot deck with a few cold beers and opening up another Destroyermen book.

In the mean time I’ve had my nose in The Desert War: The Classic Trilogy on the North Africa Campaign 1940-43 by Alan Moorehead. Probably old news to many but new to me and entertaining. Well worth a read.

I also breezed through Fata Morgana by Steven Boyett and Ken Mitchroney. Military alt-history with some interesting detail. Is it good? Well, not especially but consider that not all meals have to be gourmet or nutritional, just tasty. Decent detail, a bit of character development, a couple of plot holes but overall I liked it well enough to suggest it.

For gripping history that vividly portrays the travails of the USAAC in the Philippines–that contributed directly to the D-Men’s obsession about air power–I can’t more highly recommend William H Bartsch’s “Doomed at the Start–American Pursuit pilots in the Philippines, 1942-1942” It is well written and incorporates a tsunami of references, including a great number of first hand accounts. At numerous points, the narrative describes what would be an outrageous comedy of errors–if it weren’t so tragic and profoundly UNfunny. Definitely supports Mr. Dubois’ thesis about MacArthur. The deepest irony to those who are aware of it is that the narrative of disaster in the Philippines coincides with a similar–initially–losing fight in China, but the comparatively shining performance of the AVG (Flying Tigers) due entirely to better training and tactics, and basically just a single layer of aggressive, realistic authority (Claire Chennault).

1. By Steve Moore on

Just curious about your thoughts re the differing service’s use of air power, especially the Marine’s decade plus of using close air support in Central America as opposed to the Army’s greater interest in flying around in formation.

1. By William Curry on

The Army bought into theory that heavy bombers would win a war in short order by destroying the enemy’s means of production and will to fight, thus tactical air was not needed and a distraction from the main mission of destroying the enemy’s will to fight. Bomber mafia versus the fighter mafia. The Marines saw aviation as only a means to support the ground troops. “Every Marine is a rifleman first”

2. By Jeff on

Got it and thanks! Added to the list.

Also finished Barbara Tuchman’s long-ish ‘Stilwell and the American Experience in China, 1911-1945’. She wrote beautifully and painted quite a picture of how unbelievably screwed up the CBI theater was. Stilwell’s view of Chennault was like most of his observations – not entirely flattering but human.

Bartsch never even mentions the AVG, that I remember, but its record with more primitive P-40s compared to that of the 24th Pursuit Group is striking. Of course, to part of the problem was that the 24th was in the middle of transitioning to E models right in the middle of everything. Their flying characteristics were different and they were so new (and .50 cal ammo supposedly so scarce) a lot of their guns wouldn’t even fire because they hadn’t been tested. Just one of many examples of unpreparedness and poor leadership/preparation that contributed to the overall tragedy.
          Chenault had his issues and it’s well known he and Stilwell weren’t pals but the AVG was Chenault’s baby and was one of the few bright spots of the early war. And Stilwell’s treatment of AVG pilots was pretty crummy–and contrary to Roosevelt’s promise to Chenault, that they could return to their previous branches of service without any reduction in grade.
          Regarding Stilwell, deserved or not, it’s funny how much modern perceptions of him have been colored by Robert Stack’s portrayal of him in Spielberg’s “1941.”

1. By Jeff on

Bartsch’s book is on the way and sounds like a good read. Yes, I know the CBI was a different theater of operations but the mention of tragic chaos and Chennault reminded me of Tuchman’s book. She had access to Stilwell’s personal diaries and when she writes you are transported and can almost smell the BO and cigarette smoke. His was a Sisyphean task (wow…ten bucks for that one….) and however history judges him he was one tough s.o.b. Quite the character.

Also on the current list is ‘Strange Company: Military Encounters with UFOs in World War II by Keith Chester’ Not something I’d ordinarily pick up but I recently reread Caidin’s ‘Black Thursday’ and there was a surprising reference in there I never noticed before so I figure, why not? Some weird things popped up in crew debriefings. ‘Strange Company’ was recommended as a fairly thorough treatment of the phenomenon. Large grain of salt standing by. Maelstroms, foo fighters, go figure.

3. By Matthieu on

Agree. The list of stupid errors is so long that we can really wonder how it’s possible for intelligent men to consistently fail. The most pathetic and tragic thing being that Japanese planes had to come from far and were especially vulnerable to any damage. Spoiling strategies (consistently avoiding fighters, attacking only at the best times) generated really good results on Bataan with less than 10 planes…

1. By Justin on

I wouldn’t quite associate “Dugout Doug” with “intelligence.”

1. By Lou Schirmer on

According to my dad, most of the rank & file in the navy & army knew he was useless, but he knew how to schmooze the bigwigs & had folks like Roosevelt completely snowed. The only bright spot I know of is the Inchon landing in Korea, but that may have been one of his staff’s ideas.

2. By Steve Moore on

Torn between the hardcover, which I can pass around and expand the reader base, and the Kindle edition, which saves space in the New Minimalist Age. With the never-ending onslaught of winter, maybe it’s time to hit the multi-volume sets again.

3. By Steve Moore on

Found a copy of Rommel the Desert Fox, very interesting including a paper he wrote on desert warfare.

15. By Paul Smith on

I saw in the Destroyermen Wiki, plans for DD 216, USS John D Ford. Checking my info DD 216 was the John D Edwards, DD 228 was the John D Ford. Although, the modifications the plans show, namely radar & 4 20 MM AA, would be nice!

16. By David B on

Holy cow, Paul Allen is on a roll! He just found Lady Lex!

17. By Joe Thorsky on

Modern Post War Economic Warfare; “A Smith” sonian Update
    As is surely and Comradely Reexamined/Reexplained

Sometimes we fail at our very peril to fully comprehend understand or recognize
    just how tenuously fragile Humanity’s endangered democratic institutions of
    culture and civilization are and have now become.
    Economic suppression/separation, containment and isolation from our own natural
    inbred competitive animal spirits/instincts via creation of ill-advised and dubious isolated enclaves of non-intervention and non-involvement makes acceptable and normal the inevitable inequities and inequalities of the past and present. An optimistic forward looking future will always be an unsettling and a culturally disruptive dynamically change driven one whether we all like it or not.

It’s not easy being an Economist.
    How would you like to go through life pretending you knew exactly
    what an M1 was all about?
    The First Law of Economists: For every economist, there exists an equal and opposite economist.
    The Second Law of Economists: They’re both wrong.

1 Moral Equivalence
    An American and a Russian died and went to Hell. They both got there and found that there were two doors, one labeled “Capitalist Hell” and the other “Communist Hell.” Although the two men were class enemies, they decided they should put their heads together to figure out which option would be the better one to take.
    “It’s an obvious decision,” the American reasoned. “Life on Earth was better under capitalism, so Capitalist Hell is sure to be better option for the both of us.”
    The Russian heartedly laughed and negatively shook his head. “No, we’re going to
    take the Communist Hell option instead.”
    “That way when the Devil decides to cook us, on the days when there’s coal, there won’t be any matches. When there’s matches, there won’t be any coal. Even on days if there are matches and coal, the stove will be broken. And on the ONE day when there are matches, coal and a working stove, we’ll just have to sit and listen to demon lectures about how awful life is in Capitalist Hell!”

2 Trade Imbalances
    A man died and was sent to paradise. After a while, he became quite bored with the timehe was spending there, with all that infernal choirly singing, its super abundance of flowers and the complete absence of all worries or cares. So he requested of God to let him go on a diplomatic exchange trade mission and make an unsanctioned unscheduled temporary TDY visit to hell.
    God immediately consented.
    Once in Hell, he saw smiling people playing cards, listening to hot Jazz, drinking beer and wine, and constantly making love. He liked it all so very much so that upon his return to paradise he immediately applied for and requested a permanent reassignment and an immediate transfer to Hell for good.
    God consented.
    But, as soon he appeared at the gates of Hell, a demon security detail suddenly grabbed him by the nape of his neck and collar and pushed him into a barrel filled with hot tar.
    “Stop this immediately!” “There must be some kind of terrible bureaucratic mistake being made here, because when I was last here on a diplomatic trade mission visiting, I saw all the happy people drinking vodka, wine and beer, listening to hot jazz, playing cards and always making love.”
    Now, Comrade Sinner. “Don’t confuse the area that’s been designated souly for those subversives here on a visiting diplomatic or tourist visa and witch has been a part of our continuing outreach marketing program being directed and run by our demon rum Propaganda Department. This particular area of Hell that you’ve been specifically assigned to has been especially constructed for the very soul purpose of entertaining and housing all of our permanent and current non-essential non-paying guest residents.”

Hammer (w/o Sicles) to Fall mp3/ Queen
    Midnight in Moscow mp3 Village Stompers

From “The Fish Pirates” -James Oliver Curwood
    “The preceding night an American fishing tug had been fired upon by a Canadian
    revenue cutter and the story had been “played up” in graphic detail.
    Our lake correspondents say that the fishermen along the Erie shore are desperate.
    They’re not catching fish on our side, and a great many of the tug captains have turned pirates and are running their nets over the international boundary. Our Dunkirk man says the town is hot with threats against the Canadians; while in Erie, they’re ready to fight, and I just got a tip that a number of captains are fitted out with guns- and there’s a strong sentiment that if they’re fired upon they’ll use ’em. The Canadian revenue cutters are confiscating nets by the wholesale; they’ve captured three tugs which have been taken
    as prizes into Canadian ports; and two boats have been fired upon when they refused to haul to. That’s the situation in a nutshell Jim. If the Dunkirk and Erie men don’t back down there’s going to be a fish-pirate war; anyway, there’s stacks of fun brewing, and I want you to hustle over there and take the thing in hand.”…
    A great and easy read as we await Taylor’s ROB with an ending that even more unpredictable and better than “The Sting”

From GI Songs by EA Palmer/ Sheridan Press

The Mortar Song
    We own the weapon nobody loves,
    They say that our gun’s a disgrace.
    We came up two hundred and two hundred more:
    It always lands by chance in the very same place.
    There’s many a gunner who’s blowing his top,
    Observers are all going mad,
    But our devotion has lasted,
    For that pig iron bastad
    Is the best gun this world’s ever had!

Bless ’em all, bless ’em all,
    Shells heavy and light, big and small.
    Bless high explosives, and pull out the pin,
    Check all our charges and drop the shell in.
    Oh, it’s out of the gun with a wham,
    Where it lands, we don’t give a damn,
    It’ll be over or under,
    If it’s on, it’s a wonder
    That’s the life of a poor mortar man.

18. By Matthieu on

Hi all

I’m back from the deads. I had to solve many issues about my daughter who’s going next year to jump from 1st to 3rd grade (not that I really want that as maturity is important too and she’s already short sized). For the psy the answer was “well, the problem is not if she’s going to skip a grade but how many she’s going to skip and when”… Basically she’s still in 1st grade but doing 2nd grade since January.

Now let’s go back to the topic: as you know fascists are far from being a united front. They just hate each other and their technical proficiency is really limited. As a consequence they probably need a commissar like management: an officer in charge and a political officer to validate its decisions (leading to a lot of delays and loss of efficiency).

In France even the really right wing officers were not fascists. They were “nationnalistes”. We would call them “conservatives”. Many of them were royalist and/or monarchists. They could agree for the end of the republic but non of them was going to accept a fascist leader (and most of the time they hate each other).

As a consequence the probability that even the “fascists” will defect is really high.

1. By donald j johnson on

Matthieu has a real good point. Even in Germany and the Nazi’s in power the German army, not the SS contained a great number of anti Nazi officers that were held back by their superiors from doing much but there were at least 2 times during the war where if the proper stimulus had been able to be applied they could have stopped the Nazi’s in their tracks.
      One time when the attempted assassination of Hitler and a few weeks later when Hitler had Rommel killed. The German army would have gladly crushed the SS and ended the war with the proper incentive.

That assassination would’ve worked if the officers had brought guns with them. None of them had guns during the entire plot, except for the officer that betrayed them.

1. By Steve Moore on

Hiter’s security made them leave their guns and daggers at the door. And none of those generals were bitching when they were winning. Rommel didn’t have too many overt supporters.

1. By Justin on

Correct. The real POD for Valkyrie is the colonel who accidentally kicked the briefcase-bomb out of position and saved Hitler’s life.

Also correct in that most of the Wehrmacht supported the war for various reasons until Der Fuhrer proved to be an idiot and Germany started losing.

2. By Lou Schirmer on

If the German generals had been able to talk Hitler out of invading Russia, most of Europe would probably be speaking German today.

Matthieu, congratulations on having a genius daughter! Though I agree, skipping too many grades can lead to social issues.

3. By Matthieu on

Well, don’t forget that Germans won at the beginning only because they were zerking other countries and it was stupid on the long run.

As for my daughter, she’s very normal. She understands fast but she does not like to learn the boring parts (heard about 5×7=35). At least she reads a lot (at least 50-70 pages per day which is not that bad at 6).

The youngest student that I had as a professor was 14 in bachelor. Socially accepted but during the first student’s party the girls of his group paid a babysitter to pamper him during the party…

4. By Clifton Sutherland on

Matt, we have a 17 year old kid in our ROTC unit. Great guy, knows some stuff and in great shape….but he is quite the cocky little fellow, and we refer to him as the battalion baby. Maturity makes a difference, but even then its usually just the source of some good ribbing, rather than an actual issue.

2. By Charles Simpson on

Our look at the League cohesiveness has been mostly from the German perspective of Oberleuitant Walbert Fielder Basically a league of convince and all parties think they should be in charge.

3. By Steve Moore on

I skipped two grades in elementary school. Worst decision ever. If one of my children was offered that, I would opt instead for education outside the classroom; ie exposing your child to the world. That way they stay with their friends throughout school; children’s friends revolve around a lot more than schoolbooks.

1. By donald johnson on

I was so bored in school that I flunked 7th grade. Not because I couldn’t do it but because I wouldn’t do it. I saw no point in doing homework for things i learned by myself 3 years before.
        One time while the teacher was giving a very basic lecture about astronomy he got pissed because I was not paying attention to his lecture. Told me that if i knew enough to ignore him that I should teach the class! So I did and for next hour I taught the class about astronomy. Teacher took notes and next day told my I had one thing wrong. Jupiter had 13 moons not 12 because the astronomers had about a week before found a new one. He also said that he didn’t expect a college level lecture.
        He gave the class a test on my lecture from his notes and only one person in class failed. ME because my dyslexia caused me to check the wrong multiple choice check point. That was my big failing, hitting the wrong checkpoint in multiple choice tests. Since I read about 3000 words a min at the time everyone assumed I did not have dyslexia. And I never bothered to check my answers. Never did at school or anywhere.
        It was determined by a psychologist when I was about 30 after I got my first computer in 1975. He was watching me type and realized that I was hitting keys that were across the keyboard from what I should have hit.

4. By Justin on

Even more interesting is since the League is a multinational faction, there wouldn’t be just one SS or NKVD, there’d be FOUR of them, one for each country.

And since they all mistrust each other (unless the army, navy and secret police all team up against the other countries), that’s potentially eight or more competing factions. If Stokes can get a few double agents inside, he could do some serious damage.

19. By Generalstarwars333 on

After reading The Hot Zone , this occurred to me: How did the allies handle the killer kudzu? Did they have full leather spacesuits to protect them from the thorns?

1. By Alexey Shiro on

That’s the problem; they have no way to deal with it. Maybe League, with their large supply of educated personnel & scientific knowlege, could figure out some ways to control it – like breed killer kudzu pathogens – but for now the only way to control it is to physically destroy it.

1. By Steve Moore on

Has Taylor identified them as having that ‘supply’? I would guess their invasion force might contain colonial administrators, maybe some counter-intelligence troops, but it would seem to me that the boffins would have been brought over after the dust had settled. The invasion force, I would think, have been made up principally of career military and dedicated Fascists.

It’s hard to imagine an urgent need for them in what would have been a colonial possession of England, UNLESS they were digging or expanding the Suez Canal to get at Arabian oil. Asauming the French Fascists would have already secured the oil resources in Syria.

Has there been any mention of the CES world’s history of the Aegean and Bosphorus?

2. By Generalstarwars333 on

I meant how did they handle the actual kudzu. They planted it on kurokowa’s island, meaning they had to get it from the ship to the island. How’d they do that without getting pricked? And how’d they get the stuff into the barrels without getting pricked?

1. By donald j johnson on

I think you will find that there was a well wrapped package of the Kudzu being carried by Silva and such a manner as he would not be pricked remember that he sprinkled the Kudzu on kurokawa after he was shot and there is only the one patch that needs to be worried about

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Silva had a small tin can, like a tobacco tin, with the killer kudzu “little horns” in it, page 431. They may have cut or scraped them off the original plants with scissors or a knife into the tin for save carrying. As long as they can keep it to the one spot, they should be OK. If the seeds can be air borne or some type of bird or animal gets to it though, they’ll lose control.

2. By Justin on

Could it be eradicated by fire, or is it one of those plants where burning it makes it spread further?

3. By Generalstarwars333 on

What about the containers of “Fish hash” full of kudzu?

As for burning it, what comes to mind is an image of thorns being carried aloft by hot air. Probably not very likely, but it’s what comes to mind.

20. By Steve Moore on

And now for something completely different… names for Reddy Jr.?

1. By Justin on

Probably going to be someone dead, like “James” or “Fitzhugh” or “Adar.” Since he’s Matt’s cousin, Orrin should probably watch his ass until after the birth.

1. By Steve Moore on

Yeah, but don’t forget, there have been some dead females as well. Although I think Taylor’s going to make it a boy, so that Pam’s kid will be another girl for Silva to protect.

1. By Steve Moore on

Naah, she’d know by know, even without ultrasound.

Thinking about names, Reddy probably couldn’t do a better turn for diplomatic relations than naming the kid after one of Rebecca’s parents. Heck, the Imperials are still Brits, and they eat that royal crap right up.

2. By Justin on

Actually, opinion of the Royal Family is apparently split pretty evenly. It’s tea that Brits take as serious business.

3. By Steve Moore on

What’s the take on the princess bimbo, I mean bride? Kate was kind of a hit out of the park.

4. By Justin on

I know neither of us is British, but what’d she do to you to make you say that?

AFAIK, it’s not really a big deal over there; royals have been marrying commoners for decades now (Megan Markle, Grace Kelly, Michiko Shōda, etc etc etc). At the very least, Kate probably won’t be late night’s butt monkey like her predecessor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkJqbO0zHss

5. By Steve Moore on

Don’t see her as a long-term ride. Unless she can pull a Diana and turn race relations around in Britain. I just have no faith in anyone from the Left Coast.

6. By Justin on

You mean Meghan Markle, right? Kate’s from southeast England.

And I wouldn’t call either of them “bimbos” unless they end up in rehab or wear swastikas to a party or drive into a wall.

7. By Matt on

Eh who cares? We fought a revolution so we don’t have to. Let the Canadians fawn over it.

8. By Justin on

Don’t give me that sh*t; we weren’t involved (except as a Loyalist dumping ground), and you only won because the French intervened and the British were busy with other wars. Remind me why the White House is white again?

9. By Clifton Sutherland on

Battle of New Orleans, Constitution, yadda yadda

We can forget about us trying to invade canada. or anything that happened on land, for that matter, as far as 1812 is concerned!

Don’t worry Justin- I still like America’s hat. :)

10. By Justin on

Yeah, we don’t mind Canada’s underwear either. Just quit threatening to tax all our stuff, will you?

11. By Steve Moore on

Nothing wrong with Canada. Any nation that plays hockey OK with me. And when we go to lunch in Lac Megantic, the border post doesn’t look like a SWAT barracks.

1. By Charles Simpson on

The measures were ordered in late 1942, and Walker came over earlier, thus she was still gray as mentioned in the early books multiple times.

1. By Justin on

Scroll up a bit; Measures 11-14 were brought out in mid-1941 and replaced Measures 1-8.

Walker only gets her uniform grey colour through Measure 13 and 14 – and 14 only applies to light vessels like PTs and minesweepers. So she’s likely using 13 with the dark blue decks.

Actually, at the beginning, Walker is in Measure 13. After her first “new” paint job at Baalkpan, she was a little lighter gray and the decks were probably more a dark gray than a dark blue, but you can imagine her as having returned to, basically, 13 ever since. She has NOT yet, as of Devil’s Due, and who knows afterward, adopted the new Dazzle scheme that the rest of the fleet is moving to.

1. By Nestor on

Neat, thanks for the info gents! Incentive for me to redo my Walker pic and replace her teak deck. ;P

Should be very easy for YOU Nestor. :) Hmm. Since the pic looks like a post first Baalkpan arrival before any major repairs (or repainting) were attempted–except documented patches such as you well depict–based on Chack’s continued status as basically, a Seamans Apprentice, I’d suggest you not make the “dark blue” deck all that dark because it, like the rest of the ship, was considerably weathered and faded. Besides, rust, etc. would show up better! Ha!

3. By Nestor on

I drew it after finishing reading either Crusade or Distant Thunders. I had even purposely added
            airplane bullet holes left from before they entered the Squall. Rest assured I’ll make sure my metal deck ends up faded, beat up and rusty. Should be easier now that I bought a dedicated drawing app. It’s called Clip Studio Paint Pro and it has amazing textured brushes and effects. I’m currently drawing my next pic with it and I’m getting good results with it.

4. By donald j johnson on

Remember that there is a very good photograph of the Walker with Taylor holding it which I posted and as far as Taylor’s concerned that’s the real thing

5. By Nestor on

I know that one, Charlie emailed it to me. In fact, I had asked Taylor about it and this was his response:
            ——
            [It] was scratchbuilt using 1/96 blueprints. Plank on frame and then covered with fiberglass resin and sanded to shape. Guns are turned brass, torpedo tubes are brass tubing, etc. Oh! the funnels are Garcia Y Vega cigar tubes! Cast the screws myself. Lost wax. No store bought parts or fittings whatsoever. I built that as I was writing the first book so I could have a 3-D image to look at, and to get to “know” the ship.
            ——

Methinks that’s quite amazing!

21. By Justin on

Did the Americans adopt the British “tanks = generals” nicknames in time for the protagonists (or at least the ones off Mizuki Maru) to know about them? If so, “M3 Shinya” has a nice ring to it…

1. By Steve Moore on

Well, they named a tank after Churchill, so the good news is that the honoree doesn’t have to be deceased. The bad news, it was a British tank. Having owned British cars, don’t think I’d volunteer for service in a British tank.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

And we, Russians, named one heavy tank for Klim Voroshilov, and the other one – for Joseph Stalin. And, actually, both the KV and IS series of tanks were pretty badass) So, the problem is to chose the right names)

1. By Justin on

Well, I doubt Reddy is ever going to allow the Union to name a tank after him… maybe they’ll go with Adar and Queen Safir?

2. By Steve Moore on

Is it true Russian tank crewmen had to be 5’6″ or shorter to fint into the lower-profile tanks? Read that claim once, always wondered.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

Not the regulation, just common sense; the Soviet tank-building school preferred “tight” machines, packed as tightly as possible. This allowed Soviet tanks to have firepower and protection on pair or even greater than of heavier Western tanks, but also make Soviet tanks really uncomfortable & with little ability to absorb damage (i.e. the armor is very good, but if it was penetrated – the tank would likely be disabled immediately. Too tight internal composition).

P.S. The old Russian joke was that our way of tank building is “build the tank, put crew inside, and then hammer the tank to shape it exactly around the crew…” :)

2. By Steve Moore on

Thanks, gentlemen. Soviet tank designers would probably love having Mi-Anaakaa crews….

3. By Alexey Shiro on

Well, yes) Smaller is better) And USSR firmly believed in crew reduction; the majority of post-war USSR tanks have only four-to-three-member crew. (The Khrushev actually asked for two-member crew on missile-armed tank, which he considered the best for nuclear battlefield, but this was impossible even in 1960s)

4. By William Curry on

Usually cavalrymen were small under 150 pounds to reduce the load on the horse. The big men often went into the Artillery or the Engineers so they could move the guns and shells and dig trenches etc. My father told me that in the 1930’s through the 1950’s the biggest men were made the automatic rifleman in the infantry squad so they could lug the BAR around, which is considerably heavier than an M1903 or M1 rifle. He also that the big men were picked to be machine gun crews so they could carry the weapon and tripod easier than the small men.

22. By Joe Thorsky on

Jumpin Jehoshaphat!

Having been monitoring and trying to keep up with all of everyone’s latest and greatest of postings and submissions even while sametime trying to recuperate/recover from having been on the wrong losing side of a throat cultural exchange has proven to be difficult enough. But just having surgically excising mouthfulls of blarney outside the Speakeasy menageries of assorted frogs, hoarses and Kats stealing tongues in cheek is explanation enough why I never was invited to audition for the School choir way back when!
    It’s Cellerbration Time?!!!

Preparatory to PUB of Taylor’s ROB, I would strongly suggest the following targeted supplemental readings which might prove to be useful, relevant and instructive. Good outside source material
    Reference.
    Treason’s Harbour Patrick O’Brian
    The Far Side of the World Patrick O’Brian

Ghosts of Gloucester’s Fleet mp3/ Woods Tea Company
    The Thresher mp3/ Phil Ochs
    The Old Commodore mp3/ Derek Warfield
    The Hunley mp3/ Derek Warfield
    USS Monitor mp3/ Civil War
    Parrot’s and Napoleon’s mp3/ Joe Cassidy and the West End
    Nellie J Banks mp3/ Mike Hanrahan
    The Loss of the Marion mp3/ Simani

Overlooked Sailors
    Taylor- As an active commissioned sailing ship of the US Government,
    The USCGC Eagle -WIX-327 aka Ex-SSS Horst Wessel has a checkered
    and distinguished past. As one of the last World War II survivors it has a history and wartime service record that is the source material of legend and lore.
    “The USCGC Eagle -WIX-327 is the only active commissioned steel hulled sailing vessel in American military service. She is the seventh U.S. Navy or Coast Guard ship to bear the name in a line dating back to 1792. Each summer, Eagle conducts cruises with cadets from the United States Coast Guard Academy and candidates from the Officer Candidate School for periods ranging from a week to two months. These cruises fulfill multiple roles; the primary mission is training the cadets and officer candidates. Eagle makes calls at foreign ports as a goodwill ambassador.”
    SSS Horst Wessel served as the flagship of the Kriegsmarine sail training fleet, which consisted of Gorch Fock, Albert Leo Schlageter and Horst Wessel. She was commanded and was homeported in Kiel. In the three years before World War II, she undertook numerous training cruises in European waters, but also visited the Caribbean. She was eventually decommissioned in 1939, but with the onset of the war, but served as a docked training ship until her recommissioning in late 1942. Equipped with two 20mm antiaircraft guns on the bridge wings, two on the foredeck, and two Flakvierling quad mounts on the waist,the Horst Wessel is said to have downed three Soviet aircraft and one “friendly” German aircraft in combat.”
    “The crew had realized the German aircraft they had shot down was “friendly” while it was spiraling into the sea, and set about rescuing the pilot. When he set foot on the ship, he was furious and demanded an explanation. Upon review of the logs and radio personnel, it was determined that the pilot had been using the wrong codes for the battle group, showing the now embarrassed pilot that it was actually his fault.”
    By Jiminy.

FYI-A gender neutral me too Manga for all you Aviation enthusiasts
    Is “Captain Alice”. It’s short easy read of 6 Chapters.

23. By Alexey Shiro on

Today is historical date; exactly 75 years ago, the Battle of Stalingrad ended in capitulation of german field marchal Paulus, and a hundred of thousand German soldiers. For the first time since the war started, the whole German army was not only stopped or repulsed, but utterly annihilated in the, probably, toughest urban combat in history.

https://ic.pics.livejournal.com/vitaminka006/18232208/74402/74402_640.jpg

Forever glory to fallen heroes!

24. By Justin on

Thoughts on what to do with any captured Grik ironclads?

Union’s probably going to want any carriers (unless the Republic calls dibs). As for the BBs and CAs, they could commandeer them for the push up the Zambezi, then use them as auxiliaries… or just gift them to the Empire/NUS. Even a couple of Azumas could devastate a Dommie fleet.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

They already have a lot of carriers. What they lacked are the heavier units. Azuma-Kai class seems to be quite valuable addition to the Union navy; they are armored, relatively well armed & fast.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Rearm any captured BBs with 4″/50s & the cruisers with 3″ Derby guns on pivot mounts to increase their range & rates of fire, if the have enough to spare. Add .50 cal BMGs for some point defense & AAA.
        They need to be making copies of the Jap attack bombers to carry torpedoes & a decent bomb load. Nancy’s will work well enough against galleys & maybe even the cruisers, but can’t really carry a heavy enough load to damage a BB. Although that will probably be the next book, since they won’t have time in ROB.

2. By Paul Smith on

how about rearm with 5.5’s in casemate mounts with gun director, twin .50’s AA. catapult & nancy on aft deck, or with stacks trunked into two stacks, on top of armored section. what would torpedo blisters do as far as stability? would cg shift down? assume LoT will attack sooner or later.

1. By Steve Moore on

Think LOT would rather look west to the New World. More resources, shorter trip and a less dangerous foe. Unless there’s something more dangerous hiding out in Cleveland.

As for captured ships, have Lawrence turn the Griks and sail them up the Zambezi on a one-way trip. Remember, you’ve got a bunch of rebellious Hij that just might overthrow Esshk. Not to mention, Esshk shouldn’t be trusting the Chooser as far as he can throw him,I think…

1. By Paul Smith on

I think the BB’s would stand up to sailing ’round the horn & up the west coast of Africa. That would put them in the LoT’s backyard. Doesn’t the RRP have a rail system across their country? you could have a oil terminal set up on each side of the country, for instance Songze & Colonia or Newtown. You could send oilers with minimal loads around the horn, with the BB’s & have them fill at the western terminal, giving the BB’s greater range. Also useful for shelling possible landing areas for a Grik offensive.

2. By Justin on

Important to note that even Walker and Santa Catalina can threaten the ironclads, let alone a Stuka or heavy cruiser. If we’re going to talk about challenging the League, the Amagis and Azumas are going to need serious refitting – for instance, “ironclad” means they’re still mostly made of wood!

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Swimming pools, sans flashies, off shore gambling, entertainment, a mobile USO tour! I’m in!
        Actually, that’s not a bad idea. The troops need something to help deal with the stresses of almost constant combat, or you’re going to see burnouts, mistakes & morale dropping. Make one of the captured BBs into a USO tour & entertainment ship. There’s bound to be a Bob Hope cat out there somewhere.

2. By Steve Moore on

With the Union turning more to steel ships, maybe the cruisers would be suited to the campaign in the East. They wouldn’t need extensive rearming, just maybe a few M2s or 25MM for Grikbird defense. More ships are needed to force the Pass, quantity more than quality(assuming they can make the trip). At the end of the campaign, turn them over to the Imperials, or more likely, the political organization (Free Pacifica?) that will take the place of the Doms. Start training some of the locals in combat ship handling as officer cadets, as the Union has with Imperials and RRippers.

25. By Joe Thorsky on

JEEZ-Guys Just look at The Wild Goose Chase Effect Alone
    that a few preyed upon or unexplained lost, missing or destroyed warships/merchant ships can cause when every once in a while there’s
    the spreading of a little horse manure here and there and everywhere
    that’s within the unfriendly confines of the Cowpens dat’s the Dom
    Caribbean and the dit’s of the LOT Mediterranean.
    Certain cost effective and resource draining methodologies can be
    particularly dissedconcordingly dissedconcertingly disruptive and discerning. It’s low cost troublemaking spread at the speed of persuasive rumor and exaggerated innuendo.
    Take a Chance on Me mp3/ ABBA
    Money Back Guarantee mp3/ Five Man Electrical Band
    I Want My Money Back mp3/ Saffire The Uppity Blues Women
    JEEZ-Guys Just look at The Wild Goose Chase Effect Alone
    that a few preyed upon or unexplained lost, missing or destroyed warships/merchant ships can cause when every once in a while there’s the spreading of a little horse manure here and there and everywhere that’s within the unfriendly confines of the Cowpens dat’s the Dom Caribbean and the dit’s of the LOT Mediterranean. Certain cost effective and resource draining methodologies can be particularly dissedconcordingly dissedconcertingly disruptive and discerning.
    It’s low cost troublemaking spread at the speed of persuasive rumor and exaggerated innuendo.
    Take a Chance on Me mp3/ ABBA
    Money Back Guarantee mp3/ Five Man Electrical Band
    I Want My Money Back mp3/ Saffire The Uppity Blues Women

26. By Joe Thorsky on

Odds Bodkins Lads/Lassies
    Doessn’t is also seem awfully coincidental that there aren’t any
    professed groups and entities from the Holy Roman Empire already Taylor(ly) inserted as an intriguing back door countervailing opposing force against
    the LOT in both the Mediterranean Sea and in the Caribbean. Might there just
    be any likely occupied remnants or military garrisons/outposts from The Knights Hospitaller and Fraternitas Hospitalaria encyclical(ly) already prepositioned at Malta and/or at the Greater Antilles/ Lesser Antilles/ Leeward Islands/ Windward Islands.

Involvement? of Religious orders of
    Knights of Saint John (of Jerusalem)
    Navy of the Order of Saint John
    Reconquista of the Sea

Also
    The “SPICE And Wolf” Anime is a great way of learning about
    Renaissance economics.

1. By Steve Moore on

I dunno, Joe. The Catholic Church of the ’30’s was fervently anti-Communist, and would have had more faith in the CES than any anti-fascist governments, I’d think. Plus, Taylor has let slip that the LOT has not been the most benevolent of neighbors to peoples they have run across in the Med. At best, the LOT would treat such societies like the Swiss, especially if they were no threat. JMHO, I’d ask the Europeans on the board for their closer observations.

27. By Joe Thorsky on

Guys:
    Q-boat (Matarife?)
    Another CSS Alabama-Commerce Raider?
    CSS Alabama https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSSAlabama
    Some Moor meat on the Bone(y) River that’s to come??.
    Mister Professor mp3 Leroy Van Dyke

Alexey
    The unknown clerk who steamrollered and processed the
    Patent Application for James Watt 1768-69.
    Isn’t Bureaucracy wonderful!!!
    It was James Watt who designed a separate condensing chamber
    for the steam engine that prevented enormous losses of steam.
    His first patent in 1769 covered this device and other improvements
    on Newcomen’s engine.
    “Watt’s partner and backer was the inventor John Roebuck. In 1775,
    Roebuck’s interest was taken over by Matthew Boulton who owned
    an engineering works in Birmingham. Together he and Watt began
    to manufacture steam engines. Boulton & Watt became the most
    important engineering firm in the country.”

Note: Fulton’s steamboat could not exist without James Watt’s
    engineering improvements to the Newcomen’s engine.
    And The “Age of Sail” would not have been displaced by Technology.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

Joe, Q-ships required neutral or friendly shipping to hide an armed ship in it. In Destroyermen’s world conditions, there are very limited ammmount of such shipping.

The best Q-ship idea that I could imagine in such conditions is League-crewed paddle steamer, which pretended to be Imperial ship to hunt Imperial trade on Pacific. This actually may even be efficient – such actions would put a lot more strain on Imperial trade, and force the Union to send additional ships into Pacific just to patrol aimlessly the ocean or spend time as convoy escorts.

Problem is, League have submarines, and they are better for such job. Especially with some “cows” around.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Alexey
        I think thou Protestist way too much here over the
        opportunities and the implications presented and as referenced.
        I would refer you to the history of USS Stewart DD-224
        http://www.destroyerhistory.org/flushdeck/ussstewart/

Boney was a Warrior mp3/ 97th Regimental String Band
        Roll the Chariot mp3/ 97th Regimental String Band
        Album- Saturday Night at Sea

1. By Alexey Shiro on

…And how exactly the history of Japanese trophy flush-decker correspond with Q-ship idea?…

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Alexey
            Given the Greed upon fact that the “Matrarife” was virtually captured and seized both reparable and relatively intact. Having the additional acquired benefit of an anchored and tethered quasi enemy/friendly logistics supply line attached and tendered to it is what also makes it so very interesting and so enticingly valuable a military, geopolitical and economic asset to have and possess/control.
            Right now, I think it would be far and away much more fascinating and interesting and enlightening to obtain and evaluate some of YOUR own thoughts and ideas as well as any other observations or perspectives on this subject matter that you might want to further speculate on.
            Right now If you were the one assigned to and put in charge of the situation/scenario as presented how would you proceed?

More Voices not fewer of substance contributing and adding to the quality of our wide ranging FUN conversations and debates are what’s needed now.

2. By Justin on

Alexey, I think he’s saying that Matarife could be refitted as a Union vessel and sent a-pirate on Dommie commerce, which is the likely direction next book.

How Stewart applies to this scenario (she was obviously on the side of the Japanese, and never came into contact with the Allies until the war ended) is beyond me.

3. By Steve Moore on

Justin & Joe, I agree with your suggestion Matarife could be used as a commerce raider flying the NUS flag, at least locally until she is determined to be overdue and presumed lost. After that, I think she’d serve best as an auxiliary along the Gulf Coast, unless the Nussies want to refit her with steam. She’d be pretty ineffective as a raider, dependent on the wind for propulsion. It was noted that the Dom sailors had no love for their officers and could usually be released to serve in the NUS merchant marine; this might be a good employment for Matarife’s crew, under NUS officers who spoke the lingo and knew the area’s hazards. Donaghey’s really got no use for her other than as a storeship, since she can’t spare crew. Even trying to suck in the other LOT ship in the region, the tender, would be an uphill task given her armament and (now) increased suspicions. The longer the Union’s presence in the Gulf can be hidden from the Doms and LOT’s (in Silvaspeak, the Dumalots?), the better.

4. By Steve Moore on

The other idea, and it’s a crazy one; give her to the NUS to send up the East Coast to find who’s there. Probably a one-way mission that they’ve already done, but with a Dom ship, might get by any initial scrutiny.

1. By Charles Simpson on

Ah the value of real estate Location, location, and location. General in warfare it is at choke points ie. passes, isthmuses on ground, and channels in bodies of water.

And of course the german tanks of world war two. Doesn’t matter if a panther is the equal of 5 T-34s if a sixth T-34 rolls past the wreckage of the other five. Then a seventh. Then an eighth.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

This is the old “quality vs quantity on the same tech level”. Because tech level is important. Quality COULD beat quantity, if the tech level of quality is higher.

Or if the qualitative difference is large enough, like with the roman victory at watling street: 2 legions versus 200,000 britons. Just goes to show that neither quantity over quality nor quality over quantity are universal rules.

1. By Justin on

Pretty much. The idea is to get to “good enough,” then make sure attrition can do the rest.

2. By Paul Smith on

I remember a show on discovery channel, I believe, where they had a german Tiger commander & a british Sherman commander look at both tanks & compare strengths and weaknesses. The german didn’t have a lot of respect for the sherm,an, but he did say they knew that when you saw one sherman, there were more following, and that was worrysome. He liked the Tiger for it’s armor, but not its reliability. He said they would wait for days for a part, get it installed, running, go down the road a hundred metres, and something else would break! the Brit said that he liked the reliability of the Sherman, but the armor & 75 mm gum was weak.

28. By Matthieu on

Dear all

To celebrate the new year, I have a small “competition” for you. No price nor flower (nor kisses from me even if I know that you all want one). All of you can participate (even you, Taylor). The goal is to learn new things.

Objective: give the name of somebody who changed the world.

Rules:
    1) It has to be a single individual
    2) it has to be a single decision done at a specific time
    3) you can not name the leader of a country (as by definition they all change the world)

Points: the larger the change, the more points you get (we award points together). The more unlikely the decision, the more points you get. The less important the guy was, the more points you get.

Bonus point: if the person does exist (and there are accounts) but history lost his name.

Example:
    – John Wilkes Booth: not a lot of points as by this point was was over and it has been planned
    – decision from Hiro Hito to attack USA: 0 point (he was a ruler/leader)
    – Rosa Parks: a lot of points but not the maximum (she was not known and she changed mainly a single country)
    – Einstein: 0 point (it’s research, not a “single decision”).

You get the idea? You probably have some cases in your own histories.

Good game idea. Okay, off the top of my head to get things rolling, Nimitz’s decision to ignore the Aleutians and send all his flat tops to Midway.

For another semi-Texas-centric figure (Nimitz was a Texan too) W.B. Travis (though he only died a Texan) decision to defend the Alamo instead of abandon it, like he was supposed to. Kind of dumb in retrospect and I have always believed the Texians didn’t stay to die but (with all the artillery present) actually thought they’d win. No disrespect to the memory of the defenders; at SOME point they finally realized they were hosed and stayed anyway. The point is, despite the myth that the defenders of the Alamo bought Houston time to build his army (he wasted what time they gave him) the EFFECT of the massacre was the inspiration of outraged comparisons to Leonidas and his 300 Spartans. Not an entirely inappropriate comparison, either, and the result was the same: a shame-faced revenge-victory completed by those who weren’t there, and the independence of Texas. Re Travis himself, however, not trying to lionize him, (he had several disagreeable traits), but you can’t discount the resurgence of awareness of Leonidas at the time. Did Travis SEE himself as another Leonidas? Did that influence his decision, especially when it was clear there’d be no help? Could be.
        Probably not many “points,” but is this what you had in mind, Matthieu? A name and a reason?

Pontius Pilate’s decision not to decide. Okay, I’m done. Next?

1. By Matthieu on

Mohamed Bouazizi –> many points! The guy was not a leader nor in control of anything and it leaded to a revolution.

Nimitz –> not a lot of point: he was the commander of the largest fleet in the world. Cheater :)

Pontius –> more points. Well, he was also a leader. If we think about that Judas would have got you many more points :)

But yes, a name and a reason!

My turn…. Your idea about the Tunisian revolution gave me an idea:

Pierre-Augustin Hulin

He was a staff sergeant. He heard about a low level revolt in the city. Only civilians with some weapons, lacking powder and bullets. They were trying to attack (without any success) a fortress. A single company or two were enough to disperse them.
            He rallied three companies and took with him five guns then moved to the location. Then something quite unexpected happened….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZV4E_cPawA&t=4201s
            Exact moment: minute 44 , second 50.

(you have subtitles, whole scene minutes 25 to 40)

Explanation: for the first time the army (technically this unit was something like a national guard) sided with the population against the king. Later that day a meeting took place with the king. The exact sentences were:

– My king, Parisians attacked the Bastille
            – It is a revolt?
            – No sir, this is a revolution

P.S. You can see the face of governor de Launay whose face is basically saying “shit” (and whose head ended on a pike 2 hours later)

Good. But Nimitz wasn’t “cheating.” He didn’t HAVE the biggest fleet in the world when he made that call, and risked the cream of what he had left. Damn gutsy. And Pilate wasn’t a “national” leader. Right, Judas’ decision would’ve scored more points, but I was struck (as always) by the irony of a non-decision decision having such a profound effect. And you left out Travis! You think “Who cares, that’s just Texas,” but just think how momentous Texas’ Independence has been for the world! Without Texas, there’d be no Texans! There’d be no myth of the Cowboy and the “rugged individualism” ethos of the whole US would be diminished, perhaps undermining its contributions to the world–and there’d be no Western Movies, as we know them! John Wayne would’ve probably been stuck making B gangster pictures. And, of course, there’d be no Nimitz–or Me! :)

3. By matthieu on

Well we would have had Kansas’ movies :)

Pilate was a really good move, indeed.

In the USA Eleazer Gay would have scored a lot, really a lot of points .

I’m sure that we can find even more decisive people.

4. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

Ha. No cattle drives to Kansas, no Kansas movies either!

Hmm. Re the Library at Alexandria, it burned several times and some may have been accidental. Other times were either at the direction of “leaders” (doubtful Caesar would’ve ordered it, being a pretty respectable historian himself) or just a thoughtless act of vandalism by drunken, conquering thugs. The Pope might’ve ordered it, to eliminate knowledge that competed with Church teachings, Muslim invaders might’ve done it for similar reasons, or to complete their conquest–or it could’ve been burned to DENY the knowledge in the library to a conqueror! (I’ve always hoped some stuff was saved somewhere and will be rediscovered some day. Who knows? Maybe it’s hidden in the Vatican?) ANYWAY, this is almost a whole different discussion, but I still figure the final destruction was either the result of a conscious decision by a “leader” or mindless hooliganism and not a “decision” at all, except as stated, by some nameless group of probably drunken thugs. Can a mob make a conscious decision?

5. By matthieu on

This is a good question. At the time the pope had a very very limited power (we often forget that it became the rela leader only very late). The Basileus would have been able to do it for him.

6. By donald j johnson on

What about Marie Antoinette and her decision to let them eat cake she wasn’t a leader but her decision to let them eat cake caused the French Revolution which really changed the world not just France

7. By Matthieu on

Well, given that she was a queen, you loose some points :)

But… this sentence comes from Jean-Jacques Rousseau in a book published in 1782 and, despite rumors, is not related to Marie Antoinette. The fact is that many believed that the queen could have said something like that.

2. By Matt on

The guy who set fire to the library of Alexandria. We don’t know who it was because historians can’t even decide when the library was destroyed. My have been destroyed during Caesars time or as late as the 600s AD during a Muslim conquest. Either way it was likely a nameless warrior carrying out his orders. The loss of written history, poetry, art, classical science and math is devastating.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

matthieu, may I ask some historical question? You knew a lot about French military history; maybe you could suggest, where I could find some data about World War I French army airships? I’m interested in that question, but there is only a little data avaliable about them.

1. By matthieu on

Just tell me what you need about them. As a matter of fact they were not popular at all for many reasons: too many accidents before the war, too much demand for strategic materials, more investement on planes and so on. What do you need exactly?

2. By Alexey Shiro on

General organisation of airship’s forces, their place in Aéronautique Militaire structure. Exactly about airships – I’m interested in their armament, both offensive (bombs) and defensive (machine guns).

Am I right that France used only blimps during the war, semi-rigid weren’t build?

3. By Joe Thorsky on

Solely for Background Purposes Only!

Alexey:
      Not for Any Particular Attribution and Sourcing
      And Please Don’t Print or Quote me on this.
      But, My submitted Contest Entry is
      Johannes Gutenburg
      A veritable Genius winning Inventor but the absolute worst of losers
      in the winning of lawsuits and the selection of Lawyers (Legal Counsel).
      Invention /The Printing Press and Moveable Type
      The printing of the Forty-two-Line Bible was Gutenberg’s Masterpiece

Jawohl! And without Him there wouldn’t be any of Taylor’s Destroyermen’s
      novels to read!!!-
      Ja? nein?

4. By Justin on

Nice one, Matt, Joe.

There’s Vasili Arkhipov and Stanislav Petrov, who both saved the world decades apart.

Jonas Salk, creator of the polio vaccine.

The kid who shot Richard I – no King John, no Magna Carta.

… Does Tank Man count? He didn’t really do anything except inspire a bunch of parodies and inspirational posters.

5. By Steve Moore on

Except for the fact that we can’t prove his actual existence; Jesus. Don’t think movements count under your rules…

Then there was some British soldier who could have killed Hitler on War History Online.

Paul Tibbetts, pilot of the Enola Gay; imagine if he’d dropped the bomb 5 miles offshore to try and scare the Japanese into surrendering?

Kapitänleutnant Walther Schwieger, captain of the U-20, who sank the Lusitania

6. By Alexey Shiro on

May I name the decision of emperor Hirohito to address the nation and accept surrender in 1945? Yes, he was a leader of his nation, but, frankly, up until that moment the thousand-year long tradition made Japanese emperors almost completely formal rulers. And never before any of them adressed the nation personally, by voice.

29. By Joe Thorsky on

Great posts guys!!!!

Finally warming up to the tropics at hand after dispelling
    mulch of that temporary unsobering momentary brain freeze
    that has suddenly becalmed us all recently.
    I suddenly feel very much like the character in Steve Goodman’s
    “Three Legged Man” mp3 always trying to get up to speed with,
    Katsup to, and keep up with the frenetic pace and to the quality
    of the recent conversations and debates this forum and you all
    have always fostered and continuously set, demonstrated and maintained.
    One can never really stop the learning (Even Me!).

Another link for consideration
    The Silent Service/U 47 ‘The U 47 in Scapa Flow’
    Returning to the Whup De Do Rah-Rah topic of the midget submarines.
    Considering it’s feasibility and doability, I suggest does rest
    with what use, design and technological specifications and
    characteristics are eventually decided upon and incorporated.
    Thus, a torpedo or mine laying C.S. Hunley variation would certainly
    seam to satisfy the immediate need and entertain both Maxims.
    The only technological obstacle off course would be finding
    a work around solution to the problem plaguing both ship hull and
    aircraft airframe integrity.
    Wait-Gaskets anyone?

Also, closest list of animes /magnas quite similar in approach to
    Mr. Anderson’s Destroyermen’s Series in many respects and
    particulars would be:
    The Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There
    Zipang
    Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio Ars Nova
    Tactical Roar
    You’ll might want to check them out.

1. By Justin on

… What.

A) They’ve already got actual minelayers. No need to reinvent the wheel.
      B) Any Hunley-type sub, for everybody’s well being, would be a prototype tested out in home waters for the REAL subs and nowhere near the front lines.
      C) Subs are feasible, fair enough, but just because we’ve put a man on the moon doesn’t mean we can put a man on the sun; Orkney was practically next door to Wilhelmshaven, ja?
      Any coastal subs would be half as capable, need to cover at least six times that distance, and be much more vulnerable to enemy action. The Union Navy is not a Soviet penal battalion.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Moving From Doability to Doneability
        A reconfiguring of the military imbalance of power between the LOT and the Union does of necessity require a Woolly Mammoth of a game changing event that any deployment of a surface naval force could not
        adequately or successfully provide. Both the Union and the Lot each have experienced the same problem of having overextended and tenuous Resource/Supply Logistics Lines that are umbilicily tendered and tethered to the false safety of secure Anchorages and Harbors. Deploying, inserting and employing an active viable submarine threat remains the only viable option capable of cost effectively restoring the out of kilt(er) military balance.
        And Justin-it’ll work even for you as long as you don’t treat the midgets like bombs or torpedoes and just willy nihilily try to air drop them without so much as a Mae West flotation collar.

Blinded by the Light mp3- Manfred Mann’s Earth Band
        Moby Book mp3- Steve Goodman
        Alley Oop’s mp3- Hollywood Argyles

1. By Steve Moore on

My guess is that a good portion of the Italian submarine fleet would have been committed, at least in a screening role, to the CES’ move on Egypt, while Spanish subs might have been relegated to securing the Gibraltar end of the Med and French subs positioned off the Bay of Biscay. So a good number of subs might have been swept along. Where the remaining LOT U-boat(s?) came from, good question; why commit a long-range boat to the Med, when you have refueling close to hand? If LOT wants to stage across the Atlantic, seize the Azores for a fueling station and use whatever ships you need.

Now, according to Riggio, the sub was coming to Zanzibar to bring more ammo for the remaining MM’s (and maybe to evac the LOT’s). So it’s gotta be nearby, it’s gotta have fuel, and there’s got to be some way of communicating with it on Zanzibar. Find a way to get hands on that boat, because my guess is that they are an oddball, just like Savoie (Surcouf was probably acting as a milch cow as well as scout) and don’t really fit into the LOT plans.

My guess is still that the LOT is doing something up the Nile and over to Suez to get fuel Or building a railway where the Suez Canal would have been. That’s the only way it could get there, outside of coming around the Cape, and if Reddy can get a version of Coastal Command in there, that shuts that off.

Wow, that was a sugar-fueled rush. Two servings of sister’s apple brown betty

1. By Justin on

Perhaps there’s an “Atlantis”-sized volcanic island/s in the South Atlantic? From there, it wouldn’t be hard to dive down and sneak past the Cape in a Surcouf-class.

2. By Justin on

But nothing’s been done yet… that’s why we’re having this argument in the first place.

Don’t confuse the Union’s potential littoral subs with midget subs, or with fleet subs; the Type VII-sized fleet subs needed for your harbour raids, as Lou observed, won’t be ready until the series is over.
          The average midget can barely make it from San Fran to LA at 5-7 knots (surfaced), is easily detected/damaged, and is prone to sinking in bad weather – that’s why they’re used as suicide weapons and/or weapons of last resort.
          By contrast, littoral subs are seaworthy and large enough (bigger = more supplies and fuel) for short-range cruises, if not sprints across the ocean… but to make it to a League harbour in the Azores or Mediterranean, the Union’d need a tender for resupplying and warships to keep the enemy off their asses, in which case, they might as well just send the warships – which can also target the harbour itself.

A surface fleet CAN threaten the League, just ask Glorious, Hood, Renown or any Allied merchants; even the threat of an attack (Tirpitz, etc) can scatter a convoy. So long as the cruisers also aren’t sent piecemeal – DDs acting as escorts and fast CVs as air control – the enemy supply lines are as good as gone.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Justin-Steve-Alexey-Charles-Nestor-Matthiew et al
            How would the Lot react if only a few of their
            capital or merchant ships were unexpectedly lost,
            damaged or sunk due to the combined actions due to
            Q-boat (Matarife?)/midget submarine activities.
            Another Das Reboot?
            Would there be suspicions/recriminations erupting along
            what Axis within the ranks of Allied Lot command?
            What (preventative-security) actions would they be forced
            to undertake?
            What would their likely military/diplomatic response be?
            And wouldn’t the resulting effort be decidedly cost-resource
            effective?

Last Train to kitty Hawk mp3/ Balsom Range
            A couple of other mangas/animes you might want to
            have a look-see.
            Yukikaze
            Trinity Blood
            MuvLuv Alternative Total Eclipse

2. By Alexey Shiro on

With all respect, but nearly all League logistic activities are in Mediterranean, and quite well protected just by geography. And Q-ship… the idea of Q-ship is that Q-ship looks like an innocent merchant, before opening fire. But what exactly “innocent merchant” League’s ships could meet in Destroyermen’s World? Grik cargo indiamen? In Mediterranean, it would be… pretty suspicious.

3. By Justin on

^ What Alexey said. But alright, let’s assume the League has supply lines extending beyond Gibraltar.

Problem one, the Union’s subs don’t have the supplies or gas mileage to attack League ships in the Atlantic; they’ll only come into play if the capitals or merchants in the Caribbean or West Africa attack the Union.

Problem two, the League might not have radar, but they definitely have sonar. Like a Fleashooter against a Mocha-mess or “Surcouf” against Walker, I don’t envy a WWI coastal sub’s chances against a WWII destroyer.

4. By Justin on

While we’re on ASW, do the Americans know about Hedgehog launchers?

5. By Steve Moore on

One subject we haven’t really explored… who are the League’s enemies in the Med? Possibly transported British elements? Bolsheviks from the Black Sea? A resurgent Hellenic Empire? Just reading the coffee grounds in the bottom of my morning mug.

6. By Justin on

I’m guessing a mix of both Entente and Turks from the Gallipoli campaign – probably with a Reşadiye-class battleship thrown in, just to make the League hot under the collar.

Even without one, them plus an existing Byzantine/Russian/Ottoman faction in the Black Sea could plug the Straits and hold the fascists off indefinitely.

7. By Alexey Shiro on

// Bolsheviks from the Black Sea? //

Personally vote for that. Probably with some locals also (bolsheviks wouldn’t have as much troubles as League setting in with, say, lemurians, after all)

8. By Matt on

A WW1 battleship wouldn’t be a threat to stukas though. The league likely has dive bombers, if not stukas then something like it. A WW1 equipped BB would have very little in the way of AA defense and would be a big target. The only real issue the league would have is a lack of carriers so any air attack from their base in Tripoli would require shipping them closer to an airbase within range. Clever and proper defense could make this difficult though but I would imagine the League would work very quickly to eliminate any sizeable force in the Mediterranean with similar levels of technology to their own.

9. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

I think that would depend on how evangelical the Bolsheviks were–and whether Dalibor Svec’s people could get along with them. Of course, though Allied, Svec’s “Brotherhood of Volunteers” and their continental Lemurian (and other) Allies are NOT members of the Union. A lot of what keeps the Grand Alliance together has been “enemy of my enemy” reasoning. Sure, they generally get along pretty well, but can the Grand Alliance survive the war? Can the Union?

10. By Alexey Shiro on

//I think that would depend on how evangelical the Bolsheviks were–//

Not sure I understood the reference… :(

//and whether Dalibor Svec’s people could get along with them. //

Considering that they dealed with Griks, they probably wouldn’t bear old gruges too much) And, frankly, Siberians could say a bit of “good” things about Czech Legion too…

// but can the Grand Alliance survive the war? Can the Union?//

This depend. Generally from the results of the war, losses & post-war wear and dissatisfaction. Currently everyone are too buisy, but already there are wear and strain.

Of course, it’s just my speculations, but I assume that Lemurians would probably quickly agree to end the war with Dominion, if Dominion would be able to start meaningful negotiations (not very likely, frankly). The logistic strain and much more important war with Griks are the reasons; for Lemurians, Griks are the “ancient enemy”, and how much they might despise the Dom’s, Dom’s do no harm to Lemurians before this war started.

The Imperials, for that matter, would probably balk away from any conflict with League. They are even more sea-depended nation than Lemurians (Lemurian territories are, at least, more or less compact; Imperials are disperced all across Pacific), and much more vunerable to communication warfare – and League have submarines.

The Republik is commited to this war basically only because of the really bad start in their diplomatic negotiation with Griks. “Aid us or die” was REALLY bad idea. But outside of that – basically, their main reason to support the Alliance is the fear of League.

And the NUS probably already trying to figure out, how they could do damage to Dom’s, without angering the League.

11. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

I meant “evangelical” in the “spread the revolution” sense. Of course, after 20 years, fighting for survival, much of that ardor has probably passed. And considering where I’d like to place them (possible hint) beyond the Dardanelles, they may already be aware of Svec’s people. Might’ve even come across at the same time . . . (Real Easter Egg or misdirection????)
            Of course, once they learned the true nature of the League, they’d probably be quite rabidly against them.

12. By Steve Moore on

Future of the Alliance? Kill off the Dom priest class, and the Blood Drinkers before the new general does and assumes the head position.
            Republic is sitting on the best cross-Africa trade route, so I think they’d have lots of pals.
            Ditto for NUS, possibly allying with the priest-less New Doms and securing the Pasa de Fuego, sort of like the Turks with the Dardanelles.
            Alliance needs the NUS (as the NUS needs the Alliance technology) to secure the Caribbean) and protect the Empire’s back door

13. By Justin on

That’s kind of an oxymoron, isn’t it? Moderate/lip-service communists would be more willing to cut a deal with the League (Stalin, etc), whereas evangelical communists would be parked out in North Africa faster than you can say “kill the fascists!”

14. By Alexey Shiro on

//I meant “evangelical” in the “spread the revolution” sense.//

Frankly, to “spread the revolution” they need somewhere to spread it. According to Marx & Lenin, the socialism is the next step after bourgeoise capitalism – and there aren’t many capitalists states in Destroyermen’s World, far less many proletarians. So, from Marxist point of view, most Destroyermen’s states need to evolve to capitalism, before they could create a working class, capable of taking power in their own hands.

//And considering where I’d like to place them (possible hint)//

Hm-hm)

15. By Alexey Shiro on

//That’s kind of an oxymoron, isn’t it? Moderate/lip-service communists would be more willing to cut a deal with the League (Stalin, etc), //

Justin, should I remind you, that Stalin started to seek accomodation with Germany only after YEARS of unsucsessfull efforts to reach the defense agreement with France and Britian?

And only after Western Powers allowed Spanish Republic to fell, and de-facto betrayed Czechoslovakia in 1938, Stalin finally was forced to admit that there are no chances of meaningful pact with France. After that, he started to seek some temporal agreement with Germany – as the only remaining way to delay the inevitable war, and gave Soviet Union time to prepare.

16. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

Doesn’t matter. All revolutions try to spread–political, religious, you name it, in a “believe like we do or we’ll make you” manner. May be what the League is doing in the Med . . . Oh wow! Just heard it’s a little nippy in Yakutsia 88F below zero? Yeek! It was 19F here (Central Texas) this morning. I don’t really mind it but my wife thinks the world’s coming to an end. Like most women, I fear she is in closer touch with her inner reptile.

17. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

And by “depends on how evangelical” they are had more to do with whether they could get along with the Czechs–Svec is established as still being bitter about attempts to disarm his men a while back.

18. By Justin on

Well, generally speaking, people from tropical countries don’t have much cold resistance – Singapore dropped to 22 degrees just last week (71F), and every other newscaster was in a goddamn tuque and jacket. It was hilarious.

19. By Justin on

//Justin, should I remind you, that Stalin started to seek accomodation with Germany only after YEARS of unsucsessfull efforts to reach the defense agreement with France and Britian?//

What I’m saying is that Stalin was more pragmatic than ideological (Socialism in One Country, etc); a more idealistic General Secretary may have decided to fight the Allies AND Germany all at once simply for not being communist.

If those types are in charge of the DD-verse Reds, then as Mr. Anderson points out, peaceful coexistence will likely be impossible.

20. By Alexey Shiro on

//Doesn’t matter. All revolutions try to spread–political, religious, you name it, in a “believe like we do or we’ll make you” manner//

Partially agree, but Bolshevik revolution was social one, and thus required a society developed enough to accept it. Bolskeviks tended to be rather flexible around friendly nations. Like Mongolia, for example; in early 1930s, Soviet Union actively criticized them for “blindly copying the USSR internal policy, without regards for unsfficiently developed social basis of Mongolian society”. Of course, later Stalin invoked much more direct control over Mongolian affairs, but generally Bolsheviks tended not to push too hard if they werent in complete control of situation.

If we take Alliance, for example, I failed to see, where exactly could “revolution” be fitted in. The Lemurians barely started to have proletariat, they still have very little in therms of bourgeoise, and even their aristocracy is still more traditional, than all-powerfull (not counting Nothern Jaava city-states). Who could revolt against whom? There aren’t a lot of “opressed minorities” in Lemurian society, after all)

21. By Alexey Shiro on

//And by “depends on how evangelical” they are had more to do with whether they could get along with the Czechs–Svec is established as still being bitter about attempts to disarm his men a while back.//
            This generally depend of their relative power. If they are small power, comparable to Czechs, it may represent a bit of problem – but I may add, that after living with Griks, Czech are probably far less critical about Bolsheviks.

And if they are something, that may at least gave some significant troubles to the League – then Czech attidude would probably be more a Czech personal problem than a real political hindrance.

22. By donald j johnson on

//A WW1 equipped BB would have very little in the way of AA defense and would be a big target.//

This is only assuming that there have been no upgrades in the previous 20 years and this is mostly unlikely

23. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

I didn’t see that, Justin. Must’ve been a hoot. Oddly (for a Texan) I’ve always liked “moderate” cold, as in 20F-50F. You can always put on a coat. When it’s 120F with no wind and high humidity, you can only strip so far–and it doesn’t help anyway. But what you’re used to is important. I was roofing in the summer of 1980 (the hottest on record here). It was 120F in the shade when some buddies and I left to go visiting in Indiana. It was in the 80s there and felt refreshing to us–but people were DYING! Some people (and critters) just don’t belong in some places, like the Grik in S. Africa. A guy down the road raises those hairy Highland cattle from Scotland!!????!!! They seem happy as clams now, but I sure feel sorry for them in the summertime. They might as well be Yaks. All they do is stand, gasping in the shade. Must be Hell for them. Then again, there are the oft-mentioned feral hogs which can adapt to anything. (I bring them up a lot because, besides doing my best to eradicate them (impossible), they are fascinating to study from an evolutionary adaptation standpoint since not only can THEY adapt, physiologically, within their own lifetimes, they have a profound and noticeable effect on the evolution/adaptation of the wildlife they compete with). I’ve mentioned that rattlesnakes don’t rattle anymore, at least the survivors in pig-infested areas don’t, but there are other examples of altered, INSTINCTUAL behavior that other animals employ (with varying degrees of success) to survive in pig-infested areas. Ground-nesting birds have been among the hardest hit, their eggs and chicks being particularly vulnerable not only to the keen-nosed rooting of pigs, but to the coyote and bobcat populations that have soared with the pigs. (More prey, more predators, though the big boars and largest sows have no natural enemies). Maybe Coy Wolves (around here) and “real” wolves elsewhere might be a bother, but coy wolves remain few enough that they haven’t developed the sophisticated pack hunting techniques of their size-cousins and still behave more like coyotes. The big cats will certainly kill pigs but avoid the big “tuskers” because their cases make them almost invulnerable and, frankly, since the great cats of N. America are primarily solitary hunters, it is too easy for them to get hurt taking on a big pig. Very wisely, cats (unless they’re desperate) recognize that no meal is worth getting seriously hurt over. In any event, all these predators also prey more on deer fawns, and with their larger concentrations have come increased incidences of rabies. Everything is connected. But I digress. In spite of everything, and after being hammered down near apparent extinction in places I frequent, the quail and wild turkey populations have begun to recover. Why? I don’t know yet. Does anyone else? Maybe it is simply because the advance of egg-eating fire ants has been slowed at last, but have ground-nesting birds (field larks too) also devised new strategies to protect their nests? I continue to observe carefully, but even if I discover the answer, I’ll continue to protect them as best I can.

24. By Alexey Shiro on

I agree completely, Taylor, it is really fascinating to observe, how animals, birds – even fishes! – adapt their behavior to fit into the new conditions. Especially astonishingly, when animals, who are usually assomed to be “not human-friendly” find their ways into urban environment.

I remember, how I was astonished several years ago, when I first learn about a beaver families, living in Moscow parks. And about five years ago, I personally saw a least weasel (“laska” as we call them) on the log near (not even in!) Timyriazevsky Park – inside the Moscow! And she wasn’t even afraid of me; she explored the log, climbed back and forth, while I stand no more than two meters from her. I agree, that it isn’t very exotic animal in Russia – but to meet one in big city was pretty awesome.

25. By Steve Moore on

Taylor, you must like living on the edge of danger… “her inner reptile”?

So far January has been a hoot in New England.. frigid at new years, 55 degrees last week, plunge again this week, then more warmth in the coming days. We usually have a January thaw (just in time for the big snowmobile weekend) but EVERY WEEK? For all we know, Alexey will have his shorts on next week, at this rate.

26. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

The “inner reptile” crack was strictly in reference to a predisposition toward heat and sunshine. It had nothing to do with blood temp, cold calculation, stealthy, patient, and ruthless predation, or any other attribute commonly associated with reptiles . . . :) By the way, it was 6F here this morning and Beloved was not Pleased.

2. By Alexey Shiro on

Must admit that “Tactical Roar” is surprisingly good for modern military-themed anime.

3. By Nestor on

I did watch Zipang but was disappointed by the abrupt unresolved ending. Recommend the manga instead, good story! I’d compare it more with The Final Countdown movie than D-Men. Walker and Mahan got caught in a sideways jump into in an alternate universe but still in their same time period. The Mirai (the JASDF destroyer from Zipang) didn’t leave our current universe, they jumped back in time from the early 21st century to WW2, still a very clever read about ethics and morality during war. Will check on the rest, thanks for the suggestions!

I’d actually watched the first season of GATE and a bit of the second before it was mentioned here, and definitely recommend it. It’s more on the order of destroyermen in that they jump into an alternate universe, but with a gate they can go back and forth through. And there’s magic. So kind of a “lord of the rings versus MBTs” theme.

30. By Joe Thorsky on

Brrrrrrrrr!!!
    Seward’s Destroyermen’s Folly-Moscow NY on the Hudson
    (An 1860 Czarist Russian Navy Insertion/Hibernating? Rival of NUS/Union)
    John Cook mp3 Schooner Fare
    Grik Hi-Flyer
    http://www.arcair.com/Gal5/4001-4100/gal4033-F-14-Keeton/02.jpg

Guys-Shouldn’t some shipbuilding resources should be devoted
    redirected and diverted towards the creation of a robust submarine
    fleet and logistics as a counter to the LOT. An Atlantic Surface
    fleet at present not very practical considering obvious military
    threat the Lot poses.

1. By Justin on

For the umpteenth time Joe, the complex parts (pressure hull, batteries, etc) needed for even an S-boat makes them about as feasible as guided missiles right now. A surface fleet only has to sink once, yes?

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Plus, they have to get some expertise with welding. AFAIK they’re still going with rivets. Bad welds on a sub=death.

2. By Alexey Shiro on

Frankly, guided missile – or at least guided bomb, dropped by carrier plane – are MORE feasable for Union.

2. By Steve Moore on

Well, there’s a happy medium that could be struck, I think for the time being and learning curve. What do you fellows think of a shallow-water diving bell? With a chain link drape surround going down maybe 15′ or so from the bottom of the bell, it could be used for salvage and a few other uses, and in the meantime, accustom Cats to working underwater and at multiple atmospheres.

It’d be nice to have a platoon of Aqua-Griks (the 2002nd Chill-Chap Command?) but we haven’t figured out if they don’t taste good to flashies or not. And I don’t think there are too many Cats that can fit into Walkers’ diving rig.

Joe, didn’t think Schooner Fare made it outside of New England. Went to several of their live gigs back along a few decades.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Steve
        Next to a forced attendance at a Bob Hope USO Christmas Show,
        didn’t do very many concerts but did do a lot of music listening
        and bar hopping in Chicago wayback in my distant youthful past life.
        Even got to listen a wide variety of music; some of it even freely
        provided on Maxwell Street.
        Swing a Cat mp3 /The Corsairs
        A Kat named Patrick Finnegan mp3 Schooner Fare
        We’re here to drink the Whiskey mp3 /Schooner Fare

Guys
        Harboring and displaying of a “can’t be done, no way-no how, won’t work, just isn’t done” conventional thinking mindset is in every respect uncharacteristically unacceptable and alien. This becomes especially true whenever the conversation veers into vigorish speculation and debate over “what’s going to happen next?!” in Mr. Anderson’s next Destroyermen installment.
        So I thawed you guys would have already have gotten weened and wheedled away from all of that pro bono status quo “going nowhere” conventional thinking by now. A wee bit more iglooed cultural perspiration and inspiration seems to be what’s needed in the here and know.
        A recent example:
        Instead of just technically postulating over a fleet of dirigibles fully capable of launching and recovering of fighter and bomber aircraft. Consider radically updating and upgrading of this potential strategic capability by simply constructing and maintaining a second fleet of dirigibles with the added ability of both launching and recovering and rearming and ferrying of torpedo/mine equipped midget submarines.
        This asset could act as a positive cost effective force projection and force multiplier component and be a quite effective military counter.
        Do also remember, it was from the precursor actions and exploits of the Revolutionary War “TURTLE” and the Civil War “C.S. HUNLEY” that would eventually lead to Holland’s spectacular success in the research and development and demonstration of the modern submarine.
        Work to make it happen.

1. By Justin on

Even better: they could build twin-engined pulsejet bombers which can drop torpedoes that launch micro-torpedoes straight at enemy battleships!

Joe, while creativity is always laudable, there’s thinking outside the box, and then there’s pie-in-the-sky ideas (subs), and then there’s straight-out fever dreaming (zepps that carry subs). The latter two don’t help the Allies one bit.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

Well… to be exact, in 1930s USSR toyed with the idea of miget submarine, air-transported by large flying boat. The APSS – Aeropodvodny Samodvijushiysa Snaryad (Aerial-submercible self-propelled projectile) was a very small, 8-ton miget sub, designed to be carried between the hulls of twin-hulled MK-1 flying boat. The original idea was, that the APSS itself would be unmanned, radio-controlled submercible – sort of mobile torpedo platform, which could be planted near enemy port and remote-controlled from the plane to strike the enemy passing warship.

http://www.deepstorm.ru/DeepStorm.files/17-45/apss/list.html

Two prototypes were build and tested, but eventually it was stated that “the remote control technology must be developed more to make such concept viable”, and the development was shifted toward conventional miget subs (which were too heavy to be air-transportable).

2. By Joe Thorsky on

Justin
            Everything and anything (Even those elements you’ve suggested) becomes possibly probable in Mr. Anderson’s Destroyermen Universe.

Although it’s not in my uninebriated nature to want to squash, repress or suppress any of those remarkable latent talents of imagination, innovation and creation that makes you who you are. In the context of scoring on the basis Conceivability, Feasibility and Doability you rating so far would be Triple A Plus for Conceivability and Incompletes in both Katagories of Feasibility and Doability.
            Might a refresher course of History be of more help and of greater assistance to you before advancing any further along this tack.
            I would therefore strongly suggest examining the website
            History of Scapa Flow http://scapaflowwrecks.com/history/index.php
            Would another 3.2 Draft also be Frothcoming?

Good post Alexey!!!

3. By Justin on

Joe, the question isn’t “how useful are subs?” – everybody knows subs would be useful. It’s “we don’t know how to build subs, so should we try and fail at building them… or try and succeed at something we DO know to build?”

Once again: right now, without the materials or method for a pressure hull, electric motor, batteries or anything else, they’re stuck at a Hunley – which, may I remind you, killed her whole crew and sank as soon as she hit the Housatonic. Reddy ain’t callous enough to send kamikazes out to sea against League sonar and depth charges.

//The APSS – Aeropodvodny Samodvijushiysa Snaryad (Aerial-submercible self-propelled projectile) was a very small, 8-ton miget sub, designed to be carried between the hulls of twin-hulled MK-1 flying boat.//

Flying boats, sure. Not a zeppelin – if it can’t drop a 1.5t floatplane and stay intact (established last December), then an 8t midget sub’s going to be virtually impossible.

4. By Lou Schirmer on

They already have most of the stuff they need to build a sub, albeit a primitive one. They have good steel now, pumps, valves, adequate batteries & torpedoes. The one thing they lack is welding experience for the pressure hull. Sure, any moron (see my face in the mirror) can “weld”, but it takes experience & testing to find out how to do them without making the metal brittle, weak, or having voids in the weld, all of which lead to seam failure & a sub that submerges just fine…& stays there.
            It’s like the larger steel ships, heavy guns, fire control & next gen aircraft, they can do it, but it will take a few years to do it.
            An unmanned diving bell would be a good start to test things like welds, pumps, batteries, valves etc. They could run it remotely by cable from the surface, testing air compressor for blowing tanks, how far down the valves & steel are good for, endurance of batteries & what not. If you put a window in it Courtney may hijack it though.

5. By Justin on

I’ll defer to you, Lou. Though I can’t find the page where they started using electric motors.

How “primitive” are we talking here? I can’t see the Union getting more than short-ranged green water boats like an oversized Holland or Plunger-class.

6. By Alexey Shiro on

// adequate batteries//

Exactly the problem. They don’t have adequate batteries. At best they have “more or less workable batteries”, because they are complicated and – in 1930s – quite secret.

7. By Lou Schirmer on

//Though I can’t find the page where they started using electric motors.//
            They’ve copied the Walkers electrical generators, which are essentially driven electric motors. If you run them with batteries, they can drive stuff. By primitive, yes, something like a Holland boat, strictly for research & testing though. Such a boat would be a death trap against the LOT & not even be able to make the journey there in one piece. They have to start somewhere though. Been doing some reading & it’s amazing how long people have been working on subs & got really serious in the 1880s. One thing I forgot they don’t have yet was a diesel engine, but a gas engine would be almost as good, for a start.

Alexey, batteries have been known for a long time in their era, so they know how to make them. I grant you they won’t be as good as a 1930s sub battery, but if they salvage the S-19, they may be able to produce something good enough for a sub test boat.

Guys, I’m not saying their going to be able to produce a viable USN fleet boat or XX type U-boat immediately, that’s 20 years down the line, but if they want a sub, they have to start small. If they wanted to, they could probably come up with something like the U-19 (a 1910 design) in five years or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_submarines

8. By Matt on

Correction Lou, they *had* good diesels they could have studied in S19. Last I heard she has a shallow grave at the moment unless they salvaged her again. That boat really has all they need to learn how subs work. Copying it is of course another problem altogether but there’s diesels, batteries, the parts and plumbing for dive ballast etc. I think a lot of the diving gear was stripped in her conversion but she still has a pressure hull. The real question is how willing are the they to salvage a war grave like that and is Reddy willing to invest in subs. A lot of destroyermen have no interest in diving in this world’s hostile seas but the League has proven it to be possible and effective. They had at least two subs we know about, the French not-Surcouf and a U-boat.

9. By Justin on

S-19 sank just off the coast of Madras… that’s at least 30-40m of water, much higher than a Home. No way to get at her without a shark suit and decompression chamber.
            Now, if a disgruntled League U-Boat crew decided to join up, then even a Type II plus her crew plus what’s left of S-19’s crew should provide enough expertise for the Holland-class.

Still, if they can build a fleet of U-19s (notice all the “ifs”), they’re likely going to be small coastal vessels, spending the war defending the Cape or Caribbean. No Sydney Harbour raid or Battle of the Atlantic anytime soon.

10. By Lou Schirmer on

Right, no sub warfare for them for the foreseeable future, even if they are working on it.

2. By Justin on

Beats the crap out of the canvas tent they used in an earlier book, that’s for sure. Not sure how useful it’ll be for hull work though, seeing as you’d have to actually reach a hand out of the chain drape.

//It’d be nice to have a platoon of Aqua-Griks (the 2002nd Chill-Chap Command?) but we haven’t figured out if they don’t taste good to flashies or not.//

Gri-kakka too. Amphibious doesn’t necessarily mean aquatic.

Here’s hoping there’s a giant octopus clan (inspiration for the Lusca?) hiding out in the Caribbean – then all the Allies need would be limpet mines and a bunch of instructors.

1. By Steve Moore on

Well, they’ve got a drydock for that now. Thought about hull work, tbut realized that flat and round do not make a good seal.

Hope they never introduce the designated hitter rule in Cat baseball. It could ruin the alliance. Wonder if the Imperials are into lawn bowling, since they don’t have foxes (or hounds) for sport?

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Steve I’m sure they’re more interested in Badmitton
            as an alternative.

2. By Lou Schirmer on

Probably, playing bowls was the thing even back when the Armada came up the English Channel. Sir Francis Drake was allegedly playing when the news came & insisted on finishing before sailing. Good morale booster, since they couldn’t sail until the tide ebbed anyway.

http://www.tradgames.org.uk/games/Bowls.htm

3. By Justin on

They’d probably have cricket, tennis and horse racing too (they brought horses, right?).

Not to mention proto-football, before it evolved into rugby, soccer, handball, gridiron football, etc. That should nip that clustershag in the bud.

4. By Steve Moore on

True, Joe. Never thought of badmutton, probably easier to play on board ship, unless you’re bowling for beanbags

31. By Paul Smith on

If, by some miracle, a studio decided to start making Destroyermen movies, how much would it cost to make Walker? They spent how many million on Titanic? Admitted it was a much larger ship. I assume there are complete blueprints available in the naval archives. Imagine, the first four-stacker in a century!

Interestingly, there’s a non-profit actually trying to put together funding, etc. to build a seaworthy 4-stacker. Primary purpose is for a museum, but just think of all the movies that could use one–in addition to D-men. I expect the construction costs could be made up fairly quickly. Don’t know how realistic the “real thing” idea will wind up being, but I’ve been in contact with the people involved and they’re pretty dedicated and sincere. We’ll see. I posted contact info for them on my facebook page and I think Charles did too, on the Association Page.

2. By Justin on

A lifesized model of the Arizona for Tora! Tora! Tora! cost about $1.5M at the time ($12M now); Walker is significantly smaller, so as long as the director doesn’t need to build a brand new Wickes, all should be well.

The problem’s going to be more about the Grik and Lemurians.
      Game of Thrones stopped using the direwolves as much because realistic CGI fur was MORE resource-intensive than the dragons. Keje, Adar, Chack, Risa and a hundred anthropomorphic cats – where even the slightest error would trigger the uncanny valley – will probably torpedo the budget.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

Well, I anticipate that in next 10 years the realistic fur problem would be solved. This is only a question of CGI capabilities, after all…

1. By Justin on

Solved, sure, but how long before it’s cheap enough to use in every episode? I suspect that by the time Destroyermen finally makes it to HBO, it’ll be Mr. Anderson’s daughter or grandkids signing off the rights.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

With all respect, but 10 years ago the CGI was still too costly to use in most TV series at all)

2. By Nestor on

Worried about how big a budget to spare for a somewhat unknown potential target audience? Start with a traditional but very popular medium: 2D cel animation (well, technically it’s current digital equivalent). If the animated TV series is successful then graduate to full 3D CGI movies.

I admit I’m kinda biased here but methinks this has endless possibilities for rich character development. The USS Walker is not really the star of the show, it’s the crew.

3. By Alexey Shiro on

Well, if we could persuade some good Japanese anime studio to make a series…

2. By Steve Moore on

What about game-style animation? Then you add in a constant income stream, and the ability to act out your own tactics. Seems to work for Star Bores.

3. By Matthieu on

The problem is not the cost, it’s the market. GoT is attractive for the whole world. Now who would be willing to learn the story of a bunch of 41 americans lost in the middle of nowhere? It assumes an adult and mature audience (oxymoron).

1. By Steve Moore on

Ditto for Game of Drones. Now the TV is full of that crap, and they ALL have English accents, even the French characters.

2. By Justin on

Stories of Americans in the middle of nowhere seem fine for international audiences… so long as they’re fighting something like zombies, monsters from another dimension, or tribal deinonychus in sailing ships.

Nah, if anything’s going to shrink the audience, it’s the Forties culture, long speeches, tech porn, morality tangents, lack of sociopolitical world building, and general emphasis on battle scenes or preparing for battle scenes – that’s a pretty niche market.

1. By Nestor on

Justin is onto something here. It’s a matter of emphasizing what a general audience will find captivating. A WW2 era setting is always interesting as long as you don’t delve into Forties pop culture. But it’s even better since we’re already mixing an “Avatar” and “Jurassic World” vibe into it.

If by tech porn you mean all the nautical and munitions terminology then sure, keep that in the books for us to geek out. However, on a screenplay put it all on full visual display, as detailed and accurate looking as possible and add a steampunk/dieselpunk vibe to it for good measure. Just make sure to keep it in the background and emphasize the story and the character and world building.

2. By Justin on

Well, the problem isn’t the tech porn so much as how takes up so much book space. A whole lot of character interaction revolves around how a gun/ship/device works, how its OTL counterpart worked, how easy/hard it was to build it, why “that” instead of something else.

By contrast, TV audiences seem to be more responsive to an Nantucket or 1632 type of time-travel story: people, politics, new places, world-building, uplifting, culture, culture clashes, occasional history/pop culture jokes. Best to relegate the tech to simple “oh hey, a new gadget!” scenes.

3. By Matthieu on

Plus the fact that a new place is not expensive. Ship battles with thousands of griks and lemurians means a huge budget… You can end with two trees, a small set and finve actors!

3. By Alexey Shiro on

Probably not much. The virtual graphic moved forward a lot since the Titanic, and became MUCH cheaper. You doesn’t need to build a full-scale (or near full-scale) ship model anymore.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

Exactly. Basically, the most of “outside” scenes could be done by CGI. You need movie sets generally for specific scenes.

32. By Steve Moore on

Battening down the hatches, fellas, a snow ‘straaka’ headed for the East Coast. Warning to all ships at sea, and those headed to the market to stock up on milk and bread, even a 25 kilo bag of K-9 crunchies. Wrapping up my outside work today so I have lots of paperwork for tomorrow, as well as work on my ‘fan-fiction’ piece.

Good luck Steve. Don’t freeze! Been a tad chilly, down to single digits even here in Texas (practically on the Equator compared to where you are!) My friends in Wyoming are buried in that nasty white stuff.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

And here, in Moscow, we have +5° C, zero snow and grass sprouting everywhere. This is… strange.

1. By Justin on

No kidding – there’s snow in Tallahassee, and none up here. Friggin’ climate change…

2. By Charles Simpson on

Ghosts of Napoleon and Hitler, “Perfect time to invade Russia General Winter is asleep.”

3. By Paul Smith on

in Phoenix, we have mid 70’s (low 20’s C)& no rain for months! That’s strange for us.

4. By Steve Moore on

Wondered how you were doing, Alexey. East Coast survived, bitter cold this weekend, but heat wave (20’s and 30’s F) coming

1. By Alexey Shiro on

I’m doing… fine, I suppose? The weather are weird. According to the meteorological data, this is the warmest January ever recorded in Central Russia. There are no (literally – no) snow, some rains, the temperature is above zero all day and only slightly below during night, and the grass is sprouting again.

Today I have clouds, sunshine, again clouds, than rain, than hailstorm, than wet snow, than sunshine again in the matter of hours, man! I’m really baffled by all this…

2. By Justin on

Sounds like a typical winter in the Pacific NW – it can snow, rain and shine all on the same day!

3. By Matt on

The last week has been bitterly cold. My coworkers cheered when the thermometer read 19 degrees. That’s how cold its been, we celebrated when it almost broke 20. Most mornings have been single digits, I think one day I saw 0 when I left the house. Today is in the 30’s though and practically summer compared to what we’ve been having.

Leave a Reply to Steve Moore Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *