March 18

The Worlds I’ve Wondered

lizardbirdDiscussions on the History, Flora and Fauna of the Destroyermen World from the perspective of Courtney Bradford.

As time goes by, this is where I will collect the meat and bones of Courtney’s “book,” The Worlds I’ve Wondered, and eventually post it as a separate semi-static category, still subject to editing and addition.  Your comments and observations are welcome!  I’ll include some of Courtney’s monologues from the series (few of which have ever appeared in the audios) and may expand on them with pics, maps–the works.  Or I may add entirely different “chapters.”

“The Worlds I’ve Wondered”

Our History Here                                                  

By March 1, 1942, the war “back home” was a nightmare. Hitler was strangling Europe and the Japanese were amok in Pacific. Most immediate, from my perspective as a middle-aged Australian petroleum engineer stranded in Surabaya Java, the Japanese had taken Singapore and Malaysia, destroyed the American Pacific Fleet and neutralized their forces in the Philippines, conquered most of the Dutch East Indies, and were landing on Java. The one-sided Battle of the Java Sea had shredded ABDAFLOAT; a jumble of antiquated American, British, Dutch, and Australian warships united only by the vicissitudes of war. Its destruction left the few surviving ships scrambling to escape the Japanese gantlet, and for most, it was too late.

With a few other refugees, I managed to board the old American destroyer USS Walker, under the command of Lieutenant Commander Matthew Reddy. Whether fate, providence, or mere luck intervened, Walker and her sister Mahan, their gallant crews grimly winnowed by combat, were not bound for the same destruction which claimed their consorts in escape. Instead, at the height of a desperate action against the mighty Japanese battlecruiser Amagi, commanded by the relentless Hisashi Kurokawa, they were . . . engulfed by an anomalous force, manifested as a bizarre, powerful, squall–and their battered, leaking, war-torn hulks were somehow swept to another world entirely.

I say “another world” because, though largely geographically similar, there are few additional resemblances. It’s as if whatever cataclysmic event doomed most of the more frightening prehistoric life forms on “our” earth many millions of years ago never occurred, and those terrifying, fascinating creatures endured–sometimes evolving down a wildly different path. We quickly discovered “people,” however, calling themselves “Mi-Anakka.” They are highly intelligent, social folk, with large eyes, fur, and expressive tails. In my ignorance and excitement, I promptly dubbed them “Lemurians” particularly because of a vague, if more feline, resemblance to the giant lemurs of Madagascar. (Growing evidence may confirm they sprang from a parallel line, and only the most distant ancestor connects them to lemurs, but “Lemurians” has stuck). We just as swiftly learned these folk were engaged in an existential struggle with a species commonly called “Grik;”also bipedal, but somewhat “reptilian” with bristly crests and tail plumage, dreadful teeth and claws, and which were clearly descended from the Dromaeosaurids in our fossil record.

Aiding the first group against the second—Captain Reddy never had a choice—we made fast, true friends who needed our technical knowledge and expertise as badly as we needed their support. Conversely, we now also had an implacable enemy bent on devouring all competing life. Many bloody battles ensued while we struggled to help our friends against their far more numerous foes and it was for this reason I sometimes think, when I’m disposed to contemplate “destiny,” that we survived our previous ordeals and somehow came to this place. I don’t know everything about anything, but I do know a little about a lot. The same was true of Captain Reddy and his US Asiatic Fleet sailors. We immediately set about trying to even the odds, but militarizing the generally peaceful Lemurians was no simple task. Still, to paraphrase, the prospect of being eaten tends to focus one’s efforts amazingly, and dire necessity is the mother of industrialization. To this day, I remain amazed by what we accomplished so quickly with so little, especially considering how rapidly and tragically our “brain trust” was consumed by battle.

In the meantime, we discovered other humans—friends and enemies—who joined our cause, required our aid, or posed new threats. Even worse than the Grik, (from a moral perspective, in my opinion), was the vile “Dominion” in South and Central America. A perverse mixture of Incan/Aztecan blood-ritual tyranny with a dash of 17th century Catholicism flavoring the technology brought by those earlier travelers, the Dominion’s aims were similar to the Grik; conquest, of course, but founded on the principle of “convert or die.”

I still believe that, faced with only one of these enemies, we could’ve prevailed rather quickly. Burdened by both, we were unable to concentrate our forces and the war lingered on. To make matters worse, the Grik were aided by the madman Kurokawa who, after losing his Amagi at the Battle of Baalkpan, began to pursue an agenda all his own. And just as we came to the monumental conclusion that not all historical human timelines we encountered exactly mirrored ours, we began to feel the malevolent presence of yet another power centered in the Mediterranean. This “League of Tripoli” was composed of fascist French, Italian, Spanish, and German factions from a “different” 1939 than we remembered, and hadn’t merely “crossed over” with a pair of battle-damaged destroyers, but a powerful task force intended to wrest Egypt—and the Suez Canal—from Great Britain.

We had few open conflicts with the League at first, though they seemed inexplicably intent on subversion. Eventually we discovered their ultimate aim was to aid Kurokawa, the Grik, even the Dominion, just enough to ensure our mutual annihilation, and simultaneously remove multiple threats to the hegemony they craved. But their schemes never reckoned on the valor of our allies or the resolve of Captain Matthew Reddy. Therefore, when their Contre-Amiral Laborde, humiliated by a confrontation, not only sank what was, essentially, a hospital ship with his monstrous dreadnought Savoie, but also took hostages—including Captain Reddy’s pregnant wife—and turned them AND Savoie over to Kurokawa, we were caught horribly off guard. Tensions with the League escalated dramatically, though not enough to risk open hostilities that neither we—nor they—were ready for. (We later learned such had already occurred in the Caribbean, between USS Donaghey and a League DD, and that 2nd Fleet and General Shinya’s force had suffered a setback in the Americas at the hands of the Dominion.) But we had to deal definitively with Kurokawa at last, and do so at once. As powerful as he’d become and with a battleship added to his fleet, we simply couldn’t risk our invasion of Grik Africa with him at our backs.

Captain Reddy conceived a brilliant plan to rescue our friends and destroy Kurokawa once and for all, and in a rare fit of cosmic justice, the operation actually proceeded better than planned, resulting in the removal of one long-standing threat forever, and the capture of Savoie herself. The battle was painfully costly, however, and the forces involved too exhausted and ill-placed to respond when word came that the Grik were on the move. It became clear that all our hopes for victory depended on a heretofore reluctant ally; how quickly we (and Shinya) could repair, reorganize, and rearm; and the insanely, suicidally daring defiance of some very dear friends aboard the old Santa Catalina. . . .

Excerpt from the Foreword to Courtney Bradford’s “The Worlds I’ve Wondered”

University of New Glasgow Press, 1956

Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Posted March 18, 2016 by Taylor Anderson in category "The Worlds I've Wondered

546 COMMENTS :

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Moor Suggested Nominations and Candidate Songs for the ROB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtvDq1zn4Vg

1 Baby the Rain Must Fall by Glen Yarbrough
    Baby The Rain Must Fall Album 2004

2 Flirting with Disaster- Bruce Willis
    Young Blood – Bruce Willis
    Respect Yourself- Bruce Willis
    The Return of Bruno Album

Guys/Gals Everyone
    A coveted TDY Assignment would be scheduling and surveying the multiple
    Wars-American/Canadian/Mexican battlefields/museums that stretch from
    The Great Lakes via Mississippi River to New Orleans. It could be a
    prime and charged and ready-made learning lesson for anyone-everyone
    Historically interested.
    Best Bang for any Buck logistically considered or deerly contemplated, I believe.

A Sweetened Sour Note
    ON the OFF-ON, YES-NO Positively-Negatively charged Chance’s Are!?
    for a Taylored 14th Destroyermen’s Intineration.
    My suggestive musical recommended and nomination up for consideration
    Where My Heart Will Take Me mp3
    Russell Watson
    “Enterprise” Soundtrack Album

1. By Steve Moore on

Speaking of Canada, Happy Canada Day. Don’t know if we have any Canadian correspondents, but at least it’s a nice day up here in northwest Maine. Benedict Arnold passed through here a few years back on his way to invade Canada, but think they’re over that now, judging by the number of summer visitors we get.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Steve:

Such a very nice sentiment to say about our almost 52 Sate of the Union.
        I’m sure The ghost that walks the decks of the reincarnated Niagara
        (O.H. Perry?) would say hauntingly “HUZZAH” to that!

2. By Joe Thorsky on

Now that there’s LTAM until Taylor’s ROB actually begins its unrestricted ROE and unrestrained sojourn onto an unsuspecting and illprepared public. Here’s an easy-peasy Sound Barrier Breaking Exercise for you’se all ,we, us? Armchair (No star) Admirals to ping pong over and wargame out while we’re all still Stuck in the Middle, Neutral and in this stasis state of anxious Anticipation to moonshine over Taylor’s much Ballyhooed and Tallyhoed ROB. If any of you’se Guys or Dolls
    way, way out there were to try to freely associate, attach or bondo any one song or piece of music that best describes Mr. Anderson’s Destroyermen Series in musical form what would it be? And could you also do the same for each of his thirteen epoch making books?
    Ping out your recommendations, suggestions!

As an Example:
    For Taylor’s Destroyermen Series my own Knock, Knock Knockin’ on Heaven’s
    (Help Us!)Doors nomination and sub/mission would be:

Chantyman by Glen Yarbrough Chantyman Album 2006
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muArUHUAnCs

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Charles

Verrrry Interesting!!!!!

Try this
        Devil’s Due-Stone Walls by Jim Croce

Taylor:
        Is it just coincidink that Glen Yarbrough’s profile/picture
        has a strong resemblance to yours?
        Is there nuff Reincarnation for Everyone!???

1. By Taylor Anderson on

‘Fraid I’m not familiar with the guy. I’ll check it out. As for cool music, I don’t remember anybody mentioning the soundtrack to Victory at Sea. Also, my “interpretation” of Berlioz’s “March to the Scaffold” from his Symphony Fantastique puts me more in mind of linear combat (and flying artillery) than anything. I’m sure some will “Cry Heretic!” over that…

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Are you sure Glen/ I mean Taylor?(Sorry!)
            Another related topical recording and a Timeline Aerial Tribute should go to Eddie Rickenbacker and “The Hat in the Ring” Squadron
            Prop up-“Top Hat Bar and Grill”- Jim Croce

Spad XIII -https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1d/70/35/1d7035afce6d912a99e10c2ef0d8ba35.jpg

From Roylance: Tall Ships Suite, Ocean Fantasia, Voyager
            Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
            Classically I kinda veer towards “Voyager” as a personal preference.
            Also The Great Gate at Kiev/Pictures at an Exhibition/Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9
            works for me as well

1. By Taylor Anderson on

I tried to listen to those but my internet connection is slow as molasses right now. One bad thing about living out in the country.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

In Sympatico with you!!
            You have my Tease and Symphony & and aren’t we both
            Tweety Birds of A Feather in our over dependence on
            Weather disruptive internet service?

2. By Steve Moore on

Ditto. I depend on a 400′ line coming in off a rural road. Does not stop teledemons. I don’t have voicemail (I don’t want ANY damn land phone calls), just a local connection in case I need to call 911 to have the local boys come to save the foundation in case of fire, or the EMT’s for that hour ride to the nearest hospital. Internet sometimes cannot find itself (has it tried GPS?)

3. By Joe Thorsky on

Great Balls of Fire (Brimstone added only upon Request)!
    Now there’s less than a month to go til ROB finally materializes.
    Honestly Sincere mp3

Curiosity may have killed off the worshipped and extinct nine-lived KAT,
    Turning the Auto Pilot to off has manually gotten Humanity to where it’s finally now at.

There’s been an awful lot of Troubling water that has crashed, cascaded and suddenly flowed both over and under The Bridge and the Texas Deck since you first press ganged and willingly Shanghaied? many of us your avid readers to crew aboard and make this Seepingly timeless collective mutual voyage that had initially begun with INTO THE STORM then leading steadfastly exhortingly towards tomorrows RIVER OF BONES and whatever other PORTS of CALL that just might Lei just beyond the horizon.
    Twelve books in passing and I remain unremarkably still full of unmeasured unrestrained curiosity and am constantly amazed and made stricken with unfettered wonder knowing that there are still a DOM LOT more manuscriptly Great Expectations that just might be coming into event making fruition.
    Inserting Humanity’s unquantifiable influence and presence into an unknown world originally completely devoid of it, is quite the literary accomplishment. But, thereafter to create, sustain, maintain and nurture such a legendary world that is in a flummoxed state of being continuously reformulated, redone and remade and reworked as you had originally conceptualized and designed it to be is also quite the epoch making mythological achievement.
    All of this is just occurring, even after paradoxically reading that most recent of exceptional and enigmatic of your postings and snippets taken from ROB. Only you could’ve captained and have expertly baited the hook, cast the nets upon the water and have once again patiently and deliberately lured, ensnared, entrapped and clandestinely cajoled and caught us completely and totally unawares and off guard. And, as is so oftentimes the case, circumstances find us all inadequately and unexpectedly unprepared and unsuspecting. Confusion reigns supreme and entertains us all as Yeti another volley of zig-zag course corrections are made with a LOT of manufactured smoke screen overladen and awash by an over-abundance of misdirected tease and not very much sympathy.
    To question and attempt to fully fathom, rethink and understand the true depths
    and the nature of our own frail and pronounced humaneness and humanity.
    What a measured and a profound thought provoking legacy to pass along to others.
    Taylor, You’ve certainly come such a long way in such a very short time, Old Man!

1. By Taylor Anderson on

Wow, Joe! I don’t think I’ve ever been so . . . Punfully berated–and praised?? Certainly not in what reads like a single breath! Ha! Thank you, sir! As I said, a philosophizer indeed.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Taylor

Let us not cry over spilled AVGAS and blown manhole covers!
        Pulitzer, of course, is always in the hands of the Prize owner or
        so they say.
        We old fuddy duddies do have this necessary bonding need
        to stand together, even when one of us is always half right and
        the other is seemingly always half wrong.
        My, but isn’t this a Tom Kat Terrific way to get far ahead of the word game, plant the flag (48 Stars) and mark those territorial boundaries of
        what is obviously considered permissible Expletive Free reviewable commentary about uncensored content and unspecified context.
        Semper Paratus!

4. By Lou Schirmer on

Point to ponder. We have multiple human cross overs from various times & timelines, why haven’t we seen some Grik or Lemurian cross overs? Granted the mechanism may be attracted to metals, but both have been metal users for some time. If we posit that it has to be a large concentration of metal, then how did the Chinese & Romans cross over? Assuming they came by ship (given their location) at the time their metals would have been primarily hand weapons & some armor, similar to the Grik & Cats.

1. By Taylor Anderson on

Some ‘Cats MAY have “crossed over.” Consider that ‘Cats have a relatively short written history, and remember the still somewhat mysterious origins of Svec’s ‘Cat legionaries. Also, small-scale Lemurian crossovers wouldn’t be any more likely to survive than human, and some may have been absorbed over time by people who took them in. Just a thought.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Might make for interesting side stories for the next fan fiction contest.

2. By Paul Nunes on

Waiting for some Hominids that are not Homo Sapiens to transfer.

Iron age Neanderthals or Denisovans, for example.

Some Bronze age Australopithecus defending their jungle home from Grik in Central Africa.

1. By Taylor Anderson on

That would be cool indeed, as would an entire installment on the Gentaa. Word count is my greatest foe!

1. By Lou Schirmer on

I’m still betting the Gentaa are what’s left of the “Vanished Gods” that built Sofesshk.

5. By Joe Thorsky on

OVERLORDED towards commemorating the European Theatre side of the ledger,
    let’s also not forget me not and “Abandon Ship!” or scuttle the importance and
    Significance that MIDWAY had also played on this historical of days -June 4-5-6-7, 1942 and June 6, 1944.
    So, unlimber your “Is- Was” and check out the following links that will test the depth charges of your knowledge and understanding of World War II History.
    So for a Jolly Roger good olde “Splice the Main Brace.”, “Pat on the Back” and “Atta Boy”Board and Inspect the following sites that seek to memorialize this history.
    https://www.stlmag.com/The-Butch-OHare-Story/

http://www.fleetowner.com/trucks-work/chicagos-midway-airport-memorial

Inquiry
    Taylor, Will you be doing a ROB Book Signing Tour?
    Would you also be scheduling any of such events at any of
    the World War II Ship Museums like the USS Intrepid, USS Silversides,
    U-505, LST 393, USS Hazard (AM-240), USS Kidd (DD-661),
    USS Stewart (DE-238) and USS Laffey (DD-724).
    Would be fantastic and memorable way to promote World War II History!!!

1. Taylor AndersonBy Taylor Anderson (Post author) on

Very good Joe. As for appearances, I have not been informed by the publisher’s publicist that anything at all has been scheduled and assume (like the last several years) that it won’t be. As traditional publishers struggle to cope with rapid changes to the industry, they seem to focus more on the importance of the author–particularly established authors with an existing “fan base”–doing his or her own publicity, principally through social media or maybe Con appearances. That costs them nothing in time or effort, after all. They will support venues that ASK for my appearance, yet have discouraged me from encouraging such venues to ask for me!!??? I remain mystified by that and can only speculate on the reason. That said, I’ll consider appearing at ANY venue that requests me, on my own hook, if it can arrange a big enough turnout–or coordinate with other venues in a particular area. For example, even if there was no “huge turnout” venue available, if somebody got a museum, a bookstore, a military base, etc. all within driving distance of each other to request my appearance and coordinate a schedule . . . pretty much anywhere in the lower 48 . . . I’d be happy to go. And if they could coordinate with other venues “on the way,” I’d gladly drive myself and make a trip of it. I try to make one or two “Cons” a year, but I’m no “Con Junkie.” I enjoy them if I’m busy, meeting people and sitting on panels, but if I don’t have a lot of panels, I get bored and start thinking “I really could be writing right now instead of this.” Make sense? I may–as I often do–visit some ship somewhere this summer, and post it on the Facebook page to tell folks I’ll be there, but those are often spur of the moment things and don’t leave me or anyone else much time to prepare for them. If those ship museums wanted to coordinate something with me and plan something a little farther in advance so more people could come, that would be swell.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Taylor
        I’m somewhat overwhelmed speechless and flabbergasted!
        Especially as this culture enters into this so called new era of
        Bootstrap Capitalistic Meritocracy.
        Maybe you need to have a “Little Talk” about mutual responsibilities,
        obligations and revenue sharing with your penny pinching publicist/bookings
        agent.
        The revenue generating creativity and talent that makes up your intellectual
        property is Quixotically worth far much more than zero.
        The time’s they are a’changing!

1. By donald johnson on

What say we have our own tour. We kidnap Taylor and Have a forced signing in his cannon filled garage. let him loose after he wears out that nice feather pen i sent him :-)

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Donald

Enthusiasm aside, let’s not impulsively venue into areas
            that might just lead to reserved permanent housing at Leavenworth, Marion,GITMO or even Al(KAT)raz.
            Let’s be more conventional in planning, logistics.

2. By donald johnson on

// I may–as I often do–visit some ship somewhere this summer, and post it on the Facebook//

The Midway in San Diego is waiting :-)

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Donald/Charles/Paul
          There’s a folk concert scheduled this August
          at the USS Edson, Saginaw Valley Naval Ship Museum.
          Ghost/paranormal participation optional.

3. By Paul Nunes on

There is the Warhawk museum in Boise and the John Browning Museum in Ogden with the Hill AFB museum beside it and the Ft. Douglas museum right beside the VA hospital in Salt Lake.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Everyone:
          More Post Graduate Destroyermen History Lessons of an Audio Kind
          to demonstrate your mastery and Hi-Fi(ve) and fine tune the Stereo
          Depths of your historical knowledge via the
          Mystic Sea Festival June 8-9-10. A real sonar buoy of an event to
          make Merrimac and Monitor!!!

http://www.icrvradio.com

4. By donald j johnson on

The answer my friends is that we have to call a cons and tell them the we want to tailor and they need to write Taylor’s publisher and Tell them to get him there.

5. By Steve Moore on

Well I have an idea. Find a cruise ship that is touring all the bases the US Navy got in exchange for their 50 4-stackers and have a winter ‘book cruise’. Start in Texas, of course, so you can deliver a lecture on the Republic of Texas Navy…

1. By Joe Taeffner on

The USS New Jersey(BB-62), USS Olympia(C-6), and USS Becuna(SS-319) are in Philadelphia. Just sayin’.

1. By Steve Moore on

Don’t think they take cruise reservations… but DAYUM, what a cruise that would be

6. By Joe Thorsky on

A Destroyerman’s Treatise and post graduate seminar on Blue and Brown Water Humor
    No expletive deletions, no swear jar penalties, just the leading edge, the tasteful and the funny!
    Showing all knock off imitators how it’s done
    Laughter rest assured.

1 From Capt Fatso
    Daniel Gallery
    W.W. Norton &Company Inc
    New York, New York 1969

“Carry on,” said Fatso. “You know,” he remarked to Scuttlebutt,
    “If I had thought of it in time I would of Fired Twenty-Two- like old Joe Fife
    did one time.”
    “I’ve heard a lot of stories about Joe Fife-but not that one,” replied Scuttlebutt.”
    “Joe’s ship came in to Plymouth, England, for Queen Victoria’s jubilee, and the dopey gunner lost count and fired twenty-two guns.”
    “When the Admiral asked him what the hell was the idea, old Joe said.”
    “Twenty-one guns for Queen Victoria and one for Joe Fife!”…..

“With her big blue eyes and that red ribbon in her hair she reminded me
    of Little Red Riding Hood,” observed Jughaid.
    “She’s a WAAC in the Israeli Army Reserve and an expert pistol shot.”
    “She’s got as many medals for pistol shooting as old Shaky Stokes. And she’s a top sergeant, too.” Her husband was a private in the army.”
    “Boy oh boy,” said the Professor. “just imagine being a private in the army and coming home every night to a cute dish like that!”
    “Yeah!” agreed Scuttlebutt. “And doing what privates are always saying oughta be done to sergeants.”
    “Her husband was killed, I suppose?” asked Ginsberg.”
    “No not exactly,” said Jughaid.” “I asked her what did he die of, and she said he had very bad luck.” “Died of gonorrhea.”
    “Gonorrhea!” whooped all hands incredulously.
    “Hell- that ain’t a fatal disease,” said the Professor.
    “That’s what I told her,” said Jughaid.
    “She said, ‘Hunh!’…. “When you give it to me , it is.”…….

“Here we go again,” said the Admiral. “This reminds me of the conferences we
    used to have in my cabin on the Guadalcanal when you got involved in high crimes and misdemeanors…all right, let’s have it. What kind of skullduggery are you mixed up in now?”
    “Right now, in nothing, sir.” “But we really belong to the Alamo”
    “So-why don’t you rejoin her?”
    “The trouble is she’s out in Vietnam.”
    “Vietnam?” said the Admiral. “Then what the hell are you doing here?”
    “She went off and left me.”…….

“Son, what you’re complaining about is just the way that life is on the earth.”
    “You’ve still got to live in the world whether you like the way its run or not.
    You (just) can’t run away from it”….Daniel Gallery’s The Brink

7. By donald j johnson on

I was thinking about the difference between our world and the destroyer men world. Where we are not able to really see the crater from the 66 million year old asteroid strike in our world. This makes me think that the gap a fire is not a meteorite strike, but instead is a Super Volcano explosion. What does everyone else think. Previously I had been thinking that the gap of fire was the meteorite strikes moving but now that I look at our own world I realized that is probably not the case due to the above comment. The Super Bowl Aquino could even be the cars of the Mini ice age that they are in triggering it at the right time Cooling off the destroy-man’s world.

1. By donald j johnson on

Dang I hate the autocorrect in this cell. I check all them press send them it changes things and no way to correct.changing supervolcano to super bowl Pacino. agggggg

1. By Generalstarwars333 on

I’d sort of figured it was from tectonic plate movement or something. Are you on a phone when you comment here? I’ve never had any issues with the auto-correct here.

new S9+ and it is a real bear sometimes. today it stoped responding to me and it took 14 hours to reset when the battery finely died. now (afterwards) it seems normal

2. By Justin on

Best to post from a computer. Phones mostly suck as keyboards.

It could very well be that the Bluefields Crater is actually a caldera… but then comes the question of what caused two converging continents to suddenly diverge instead.

2. By Paul Nunes on

I figured it for the tectonic plate. The South American plate hasn’t joined the isthmus of Panama on the Destroyermen world.

8. By Joe Thorsky on

A Memorial Day of Reflection and Remembrance
    Mourning and grieving the untimely passing of family, friends and colleagues
    for a future molded by their unselfish sacrifice and commitment to a cause.
    Requiescat in pace Pathfinders all.

Contemplations from “The Brink”
    Dan Gallery
    Doubleday and Company
    Garden City New York 1968

“Well Commander,” said the Doctor, “you’re sort of overstating things a bit, aren’t you? This world of ours is just a speck of dust in the whole scheme of things.”
    “Even if we blow it to smithereens with an atomic blast, I doubt if people on the
    nearest star would even notice it.”…
    “You think there is a bigger scheme of things, then- do you Doctor?”
    “Yes. I belong to the old-fashioned school who think if you go back far enough, you find God behind it all.”
    “I don’t see how anyone could look out at the stars every night as you do and not believe in God,” said Banks.”
    “But if a great all wise God did allow it, how do you explain the ungodly mess we’ve got here on earth now? Why does He even tolerate man?”
    “I don’t think He pays any attention to what man does down here, said the Doctor.”
    “He put all we need here on earth for man to use. He gave man a brain to figure out how he ought to use it… And now, we can do as we damn please with it.”
    “You’re getting way out of my field, now Commander,” added the Doctor.
    “I’m just an astronomer. I can tell you what the stars and the planets will do for the next couple of hundred years. But only God knows what man will!”….

Another suggested Destroyermen reading for a Memorial Day Weekend
    FINAL HARBOR
    Harry Homewood
    Mcgraw Hill New York 1980

“Maco” sure to include this stem to sternwinder of a nautical tale about
    The AB basics and fundamentals of the US Silent Service in WW II as part of
    any required or assigned reading list.
    It’s topnotch right up there in same category of an absolute read as is
    Run Silent, Run Deep by Commander Edward L. Beach Jr.
    Henry Holt & Co. 1955

9. By Charles Simpson on

Alexey brought up a good point on the Assn. Page. With species variation will camouflage work. We see this in hunting patterns in Hunter Orange that work on color blind deer, but help prevent hunting accidents. So what are your thoughts?

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Like Alexey said most of the dino derived bird species have four color receptors in stead of our three. Our “black & white” dazzle paint may be the equivalent of painting our ships violet, green & red (or pink). :) Whether the DDmen think to ask is the key question. We knew about human color blindness, but I don’t know if color blindness or Tetrachromacy in other species was discovered by then. We have Larry, the Konishii, Geerki & other Grik workers to check with though. They may tell us they were wondering why we paint our ships such garish colors.

2. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

Colors aren’t nearly as important as breaking up outlines, something dazzle schemes are primarily concerned with. This is obvious when you see some of the really weird and often very high visibility dazzle colors that have been used.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

Colors maybe not, but the whole effect of dazzling camouflage is based on the specifics of human’s procession of visual information. Which may not work for Griks & Lemurians.

2. By William Curry on

On ships dazzle camo was primarily intended to make it difficult to use split image or coincidence range finders or stadia type range finders by making it difficult to know the speed, length or height of the ship. Hopefully this would result in a miscalculation of the range or speed and the fired ordnance would miss. It wasn’t intended to make the ship less visible. Radar made dazzle camo irrelevant.

3. By Charles Simpson on

So misquoting Shakespeare “Alas poor Alexey the disappearance of Dazzle is more an effect of technology (radar ranging) rather than differences in species visual processing in the brain.”

1. By William Curry on

Of course in the Destroyermen’s universe there is no radar that we know of.

1. By Steve Moore on

Dunno. Reddy’s got Juan, almost as perceptive as Radar…

4. By Lou Schirmer on

While colors are secondary to breaking up a ships profile & making it difficult to target, estimate speed, size & even direction of travel, I don’t think they should be discounted completely. While there were some out there colors used, the primaries were what might make the ship blend into the sea scape at a distance. Most color schemes used black, white & shades of greys, blues & greens, all colors related to the sea or sky. Reds, pinks or oranges (or ultra violet colors in the case of the Griks) will make the ship stand out at a distance. The dazzle part may make it harder to target, but it will be unable to avoid detection at range. It would stand out like a turd in a swimming pool.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

For all we know some of the paints being used may even be fluorescent in the UV spectrum available to the Grik. The DDmen’s ships could be running around with the equivalent of neon lights all over them.

1. By Justin on

Seeing as the Grik are almost out of the race – and that both sides’ current strategies are mostly based on not hiding – it’s a bit of a moot point.

… OTOH, the League may be in trouble. If true, all the Allies need is a half-dozen raptor scouts per battalion/ship – poof, no more element of surprise.

“You not see them? Right there, in bright orange!”

2. By Generalstarwars333 on

Ha! That’d make for a memorable scene. Personally, I’d never considered that they can see outside what humans can see. Probably shortsighted of me, pun not intended.

3. By Taylor Anderson on

Crap. I just took over an hour to write a long dissertation on camo color and vision etc. and since my computer just “updated” it got blown away! No time to rewrite it today, but rest assured it was brilliant!

4. By Taylor Anderson on

And now my Booger has changed again! I HATE computer updates!

5. By Lou Schirmer on

Wasn’t it about this time last year when everyone’s monster changed?

6. By Lou Schirmer on

Actually, Taylor, your dissertation should be in a temp file somewhere. Maybe not all of it, but most. Check your word processor program for Options, or Preferences & try to find the location for Auto Saving documents. If your Auto Save is on (usually the default setting), you can find it there.

7. By Generalstarwars333 on

I don’t think he was writing it in microsoft word, Lou. I think he was writing it in this website’s “comment” function.

8. By Taylor Anderson on

Correct, General. And not only did the computer shut down for 3 freaking hours while it “updated,”–without my permission–now it’s slow as hell. (A little annoyed here)

9. By donald j johnson on

agggg the dreaded drop dead before reading error

10. By Taylor Anderson on

I usually shoot my laptops when they get like this, to put them out of my misery, but it’s getting harder and harder to FIND laptops the size I like over the last couple of years. What’s with that? I guess everybody’s going to notebooks and such, but I’d have to adapt to a whole different physical writing style to accommodate one of those–and right in the middle of a book is NOT the time for such a change!

11. By Charles Simpson on

Back up daily or when you need a break on a disk or outside hard drive That way if it goes tits up you loose only a day’s work, and have an good excuse to turn the air blue or load up a cannon a blow something up. The old excuse “The dog ate my homework.” does not go over well, but professors are more sympathetic to “The computer ate my homework.”

12. By Generalstarwars333 on

What you could do, Mr. Anderson, is buy a number of laptops of a style/size you like all at once, and then use those one after another for a while. Or you can get like a separate keyboard you plug into a newer laptop or something.

13. By Taylor Anderson on

Yup. I back stuff up on a thumb drive every day, and transfer everything to my desktop computer about once a week or so.

14. By Lou Schirmer on

You laptop may need a cleanup. After repeated updates, there are a lot of temp files, the OS starts to get fragmented etc. Try a disk, cleanup & then defrag it & see what happens. I agree with Charles though, saving work to a thumb drive will help if it truly craps the sheets.
            If I plan on a large comment, I usually do it in Word, so I can see the whole thing & not be scrolling up & down trying to fix mistakes or reword something for clarity. Then select, copy & paste here. Just as often though, a short comment snowballs into an avalanche of words.

15. By Charles Simpson on

As I recall you had to be signed in as Taylor Andersons to have your old icon for some reason. Try signing in your next comment with the ‘s’ added to the end. Always remember to err is human to really F#%& up requires the Computer.

16. By Generalstarwars333 on

I think the fact that bolivia failed to create a navy until after losing their coastline proves that you don’t need a computer to really eff up.

17. By Taylor Anderson on

Nope. Didn’t work, and I even had to “moderate” myself. Probably have to dive into settings and screw around in there a while. Well, not today.

18. By donald j johnson on

Interesting but just went back to see what booger the system gave me when i used the wrong name on my cell and what do i see but the same old booger as i have now. i did see that Anderson had a different booger in a few posts though so possibly it was moderated .
            I was also wondering if the search feature here works for anyone. Taylor told me how to use it but it fails for me every time.

10. By Joe Thorsky on

Governors of Our Behavior
    Law Day was quietly celebrated yesterday May 1. Though largely overlooked and displaced as it was by conduct and acts unbecoming and so unworthy a representation of our species.
    Law is that artificial constructed instrument that gives our species its unique identity and identification and standing over all others.
    May we continue to be worthy of this our heritage.

“But as some good men are always found in a multitude however bad, to them
    we hold some esteem: for good men hold no private animosities in a Public Cause”
    -Allan Gardiner
    Hunting the Essex -Allen Gardiner , Seaforth Publishing

For all of you Destroyermen Dockwhollopers waiting for ROB
    In the aftermath of Essex get the low Downes of some very fantastic
    exploits lost in history whereabouts somewhat forgotten and unknown.
    A LOT of Nemesis out there?
    Reference- The Shining Sea by George C. Daughan
    Basic Books, New York
    Unanswered
    Where is the USS Epervier now?
    What about the USS Potomac and the amphibious landings
    at Quallah Battoo
    https://www.revolvy.com/topic/John%20Downes%20(naval%20officer)&item_type=topic

11. By Steve Moore on

Going to slide away from the technical side for a while, and ponder what other ‘transfers’ would liven up D-World? It’s got to be 1945 or prior level of development, but if it’s not from ‘our’ world, I suppose it puts it up for grabs. It’s going to be harder to find transfers from ‘our’ world that would not have been recorded, they’d have to be ‘missing’.

Maybe Halik runs into a group transferred during the later 19th century (so they would have some people that understand technology and English) in the process of being subjugated by the LOT. Can’t have all the transfers go to the Union.

But let’s NOT find Amelia Earhart living on some mid-Pacific isle. Although a group from a tramp freighter bound for New Caledonia escaping WW2 would be different. Nice to have some ‘good’ Frenchmen.

Not as pleasant would be finding a group on the West African coast from a Nazi blockade runner, who would wholeheartedly accept the LOT (but plot to take it over) and provide them a base as well as high-grade ores and rubber from the Far East.

Maybe a group of Brazilians, not discovered by anyone. Transferred from a world where a Bolivar type united South America under a Catholic banner.

OK, yes, I left out the Canadians as a possible enemy for the Nussies. Maybe New York is the capital of a new Evil Empire.

Actually there were a lot of ships in “OUR” world that would have been canceled during construction or renamed after launch to celebrate new hero’s. Just pick and chose. They even changed the names of some ships to open up a name such as the USS Midway, CVE-63, which was changed to the USS Saint Lo in September 1944 to open up the name for a new class on carriers and the USS Midway CVB41.

1. By Justin on

Or as with Antunez, they could just be the same ships but with different names and histories. It’s possible (if not probable) that they’d get the Indianapolis from a timeline where she was built as USS Orlando.

What would we see if the world war had not ended when it did on another world, or if it had started sooner. What is to say that the ships being transferred would not be of considerable greater capability than what we are used to. imagine if a carrier of the capability of even CV41 The midway were to have been built 5 to 6 years sooner. of jets were developed 10 years sooner due to a continual war footing on an unknown world. you might not want to have these come through at all

2. By Justin on

Perhaps a confederation of hadrosaur-hunting Great Plains tribes? Or a human/Grik Cahokia? So long as they don’t go too far downriver, the NUS would never know about either one.

12. By Joe Thorsky on

Dispatches From the A&P:
    Recent observations and reports of strange unidentifiable aircraft flying?
    have been largely substantially and verified by local officials and are
    coming in tandem with a variety of other highly regarded and reputable
    reporting sources including those from coast watchers, local Civil Defense
    air raid wardens, NORAD and The Space Command. This does strongly suggest
    another portal insertion-extraction is or may be forthcoming or imminent (July?). Precautionary measures; including ordered activation of all Star Wars ABM assets at Area 51 may be required and necessary to be taken since the last of such similar and most recent of events has led directly to:
    Changing weather patterns suggesting another looming Ice Age coming together with simultaneous Global Planetary Warming.
    Disturbing changes in both migratory bird and animal patterns.
    Dyna Soars being in confused state and don’t know where to go
    Materialization of multiple Elvis impersonators and clones
    Numerous sightings of Amelia Earhart
    Wrong Way Corrigan Landing Right
    Skylab and Skylab Jr. not falling out of orbit to disintegrate into the Earth’s Atmosphere
    Flat Earth Society being proven right. Anchor and Secure those tethers before you all fall over the edge!
    Evil Knievil really did successfully make it across the Snake River Canyon in 74
    Columbus did discover America in the Far East
    UFO’s Oh? Really! do exist and are based and housed out of Areas 1 to50
    Secondarily; numerous modifications and adjustments are subtlety being made to our civilization’s historical record.
    Those already having been recently discovered and known about including such publicly known and insignificant ones as:
    Benedict Arnold successfully having seized Quebec Canada
    during the Revolutionary War. Canada, thus becoming one of the original 14 States of the Union and a signatory of The Declaration of Independence and an important ratifier of the US Constitution
    Lewis and Clark did find the Northwest Passage
    People unable or cannot “Remember the Maine”
    Since the details on a BB USS Maine ACR-1 which did not blow up in Havana Harbor, Cuba not available
    The Alamo, Goliad and Fort Sumpter successfully reinforced relieved and resupplied and their sieges successfully broken.
    Abner Doubleday didn’t invent baseball and The Cubs did win the pennant in 69.
    Let’s Play 2- Go Cubs Go!

1. By Steve Moore on

Jeez, Joe, sounds like a wild alt-might party! Up Spirits, all! Although having hockey as the national sport might be a bit different.
      “Oh, somewhere the ice is racing-faat, the back meat sizzles hot, but there is no joy in Winnipeg when Mighty Casey fans his shot.”

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Steve
        All I can say in reply is:
        Better start brushing up on speaking Canadianese
        with or without French accents.
        And of course, you already should know by now that
        basic fundamental concepts like crossing the Equator,
        the International Date Line and the Gregorian (As was superceded
        and replaced by the Taylorian) Calandar will only works in
        this historical timeline.

1. By Steve Moore on

Eh, you got dat right, you! Good friend of mine in Maine was French-Canadian and always coming up with new expressions; keep your eye on the 8-ball and so forth. My favorite was when he took his wife to Montreal, came back and told me, “It’s so beautiful, it’s like another country.” Gotta love those Canadians, French or not.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Steve
            I’m still having trouble and difficulty interpreting and generally understanding the dialect and the spoken language which has been and is now prevalent throughout Chicago’s South Side.
            It’s the Kat’s Meow.!? and Oui? Vey!!!

Here’s some tailored oversights, contrarian clarifications and unexpected explanations for youse all to wax poetic with.
            More questions for the RoB to answer in July??.
            As for the “NUS”-“anced” American Clan of 1847 almost all of it’s foreign & diplomatic, economic & trade and military relations and relationships and the policies that they had in actuality developed, implemented and fostered had been and is concurrently being conducted on an “as needed” , “necessary” and “whatever it takes” to maintain survival driven crackerjack philosophy.
            The very formulation and making of their adopted Foreign and Military policy “on the fly” and from a constant reinforcement state of actively “learning by doing” is Quixotically quite the remarkable accomplishment and achievement for all Destroyersmen
            scholars to evaluate…
            It is also of necessity to keep in mind that most noteworthy of contradictory and glaringly historical of contrarian reminders:
            There were? no veteran or experienced (military-political-economic) Leaders to draw counsel, seek advice or to rely upon since the US Civil War Timeline (circa 1860-1865) was not in any part of THEIR actual original timline history, experience and/or culture.
            Futuremore; this is just what can UNTIMEY happen to Events
            when almost 13 years of significant historical importance and
            past-future memory is suddenly made lost in the transition and is reformulated, remanufactured and remade in a fashion almost unrecognizable and unrealized given their current present state of existence (The Einsteinian repackaging equivalent of the pounding of a round dark matter peg into a square black worm hole).
            It tin candidly must? then follow that if there is no occurrence of The American Civil War then Abner Doubleday’s invention of baseball could not have possibly taken place.
            Softball questions all.
            Good Grief!!! Where’s Lucy!!!?
            Aspirins Anyone??!

1. By Steve Moore on

Naa, think I’ll leave the poetry to Alexey, Russians are all supposed to be poets.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Donald-Steve

Prolific Writers Too!; especially when they’re in empire building mode.
            No Crime and Punishment in Dat!

2. By Alexey Shiro on

Sorry, but my poetry skills are near zero…

1. By Alexey Shiro on

I say; not much longer, unless the oxygen content in atmosphere is WAY higher. You see, insects are passive breathers; the oxygen is delivered into their body by direct diffusion from air, through the system of ventilation holes and channels. Problem is, this system limit the insect size very strictly; anything mora than a dozen centimeters, and the air would not be able to reach internal parts fast enough.

2. By donald j johnson on

Then there is the 20 foot Preying Mantis in the empire series by Eric Flint called the Ekhat. and they are really tough critters with Kevlar in their shells and razor sharp diamond hard manipulators.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

…How for Darvins sake they could even breath in anytging like earth-like atmosphere? Not to mention that exosckeleton of insects isnt exactly well-scallable; the problems with weight distribution would crush the mantis even on 1-foot size stage.

1. By Steve Moore on

Well, they don’t change overnight; evolution takes it’s course and the unsustainable crash and burn. Nice play on words, Don, for the “Preying” mantis..

2. By Justin on

The Ekhat are aliens, so technically they only look like giant mantids. Same reason the Jao aren’t really bipedal sea lions.

3. By Lou Schirmer on

Somewhere (other planet or AU) there could conceivably be large insectoid types, but they would have had to evolve or have engineered by some lunatic:
      1. A more efficient body oxygenation system, something similar to lungs & a circulatory system to oxygenate the entire body. (related to #2)
      2. A way around the current exoskeletal joint restriction, which prevents growth past a certain size in relation to the O2 percentage in the atmosphere. (We had some bodacious insects & arthropods when Earth’s O2 percentages were higher)
      3. A means of reinforcing the exoskeleton to sustain the mass of a larger body, without restricting it’s growth.
      A fix for 2 & 3 might be related. The exoskeleton could have gaps allowing growth, including the joints which could be covered in front & the sides & open at the rear to allow growth & flexibility. As they grow, they molt & grow a new, larger shell (a dangerous time of life for them). For additional structural support as they get larger the inner part of the exoskeleton could develop “ridges” for additional stiffness & larger muscle & tendon attachments. If we want really large types, the engineer (lunatic that he/she is) could add internal semi-skeletal structures, either related to the exoskeleton in composition or something like cartilage.

1. By Justin on

It’d also be useful for the bugs to have a carapace made of something lighter than chitin (keratin?), so they don’t collapse under their own weight.

An inner and outer skeleton sounds cool… but then where do the organs go? There’s going to be a lot less room than with a dedicated endo or exo.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

The internal structures would be fairly small secondary affairs & just there to provide any extra needed support for the organs & it would only be for larger types. The exo would still be the primary support structure. Of course you still eventually get to physical limits fairly quickly, especially for a predator type that needs to be fast.

2. By Steve Moore on

Giant lobsters. Unfortunately an unhappy situation for us Mainers since we have both a minimum AND maximum size, we’d have to throw the 8 footers back.

13. By Joe Thorsky on

Now that The Coral Sea Lady Lex been rediscovered and
    found off Australia
    There’s another Ghost story that should also be read
    to memorialize not only this historic occasion but also
    the upcoming Doolittle Raid commemoration that’s on April 18.

Though scattered thy sons o’er leagues of empire’s
    rim,
    Alien, remote, by severing wind and tide ;—
    Yet every Briton who knows thy blood in him
    In that dread hour will marshal to thy side:—
    And if thou crumblest earth’s whole frame will groan.
    God help this world, thou wilt not sink alone!
    —-From “The Collected Poems of Wilfred Campbell.’

For your enjoyment and further contemplation and consideration
    there’s the unexplained and mysterious tale:
    An Anchor in the Graveyard by C.H.J. Snider

Excerpts

“Here, this won’t do!” I told myself. “You think of broadsides and then smell powder smoke. Wake up!”
    I walked to the scuttle butt, dipped a mug of water, and drank it to freshen my brain.
    Then, distinct from the resonance of the Windlass brake or the toll of the buoy, I heard the faint tinkle as of “three bells” striking—ding-ding! ding!—half past one. We had no automatic striker aboard the schooner. The sound was repeated, blurred and faint, as though we were in the midst of an unseen fleet.
    Looking up from my drink, I saw something which brought my heart to my mouth. Abeam of us was a vessel—a full-rigged ship, under all sail, with studdingsails out. My first impulse was to call all hands, but I choked down the cry. This was no ordinary one of the ships that pass in the night. She was square rigged on all three masts; and the last square-rigger vanished from the lakes when I was sailing toy boats in puddles. She had “single” topsails, that is, they were each in one great square of canvas, a rig which became obsolete fifty years ago. She had a spritsail, swinging from the bowsprit, a sail that has not been seen for a century, and her side was broken by a long line of open ports.
    But what convinced me above all that this was some trick of my brain and not a real vessel was the way she seemed to be sailing in the sky, making good progress in a breeze so light that we had lost steerage way. As I said, the water, even alongside, was invisible; but she seemed to be floating in the air, above the horizon. Another thing which proved her unreal was the very clearness of every detail in a fog which smothered our sight of our own crosstrees. She radiated a light which illuminated her without casting a shadow. At each port a brightness—perhaps a gunner’s match—— was glowing. Great horn lanterns pulsed like rising moons at each corner of the taifrail that ended her short high poop. Other lanterns, strung fore and aft, lighted up crowds of men, clustered around the guns, thronging the gangaways, manning the yards and fighting-tops.
    I could see, as plainly as in summer twilight, the colors of her Stars and Stripes, rippling in a fresh breeze, at her mizzengatf end, and a long, twisted streamer, blowing off from her maintruck. And I could see colored signal lights, blue and white and red, rise and sink on invisible halliards.
    She swept by, but a thin, black, curved line vibrated in her place, and moved in the direction she had passed, and in a moment there showed at the end of it, a squat little schooner, with an enormous cannon amidships and spars which raked till the maintruck overhung the taffrail.”…

14. By Joe Thorsky on

Guys
    Very inciteful and cogent are all of the observations/analysis made concerning
    the nature and scope of what an agenda driven alliance the Lot seems to be.
    Its competing clash of cultures seems to be governing and dominating its top down
    committee style decision making process. (Organizational petrification/paralysis?)
    Should be of immense aid and help to everyone when Taylor’s ROB is finally released.

“Because sometimes there aren’t any good choices.”
    “Sometimes you have to choose between something
    (Really!?) bad, and something worse.”-
    A citation from The Seventh Angel, Jeff Edwards
    Stealth Books

“It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world; so far, I mean, as we are now at liberty to do it; for let me not be understood as capable of patronizing infidelity to existing engagements. I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs, that honesty is always the best policy. I repeat it, therefore, let those engagements be observed in their genuine sense. But, in my opinion, it is unnecessary and would be unwise to extend them. ” -G. Washington – Farewell Address

From -The Lost War-Sloop
    by Edna Dean Proctor

Oh, the woeful, woeful ending
    Of the pride of Portsmouth water!
    Never more to harbor nor to shore came she
    Springs returned but brought no tidings;
    Mothers, maidens, broken-hearted,
    Wept the gallant lads that sailed away in glee.

Did the bolts of heaven blast her?
    Did the hurricanes o’erwhelm her
    With her starry banner and her tall masts three?
    Was a pirate-fleet her captor?
    Did she drift to polar oceans?
    Who shall tell the awful secret of the sea!

Who shall tell? yet many a sailor
    In his watch at dawn or midnight,
    When the wind is wildest and the black waves moan,
    Sees a stanch three-master looming;
    Hears the hurried call to quarters,
    The drum’s quick beat and the bugle fiercely blown; —

Roll Call mp3
    -Fish out of Water Album/
    Bounding Main

15. By Steve Moore on

Presidents Day having come and gone, it struck me that the perfect analogy for the Squall is a furniture store with lots of portals between rooms. Plenty of different types of furnture, but no elevators to boost you ahead a few floors.

Couldn’t find an analogy in new car sales, the other feature of Presidents Day. Other than the fact that most new cars look alike, sort of like four-wheeled biscotti.

16. By Joe Thorsky on

Taylor-Everyone

Washington and Lincoln mp3
    -Venice Garage Demos Album/
    Venice

Abe Lincoln Went to Washington mp3
    – Lincoln and Liberty Album/
    Lost Radio Rounders

As the President’s Day holiday is celebrated anew
    and we in our childlike awe solemnly commemorate
    the lives, the legacies and the meaning today of both
    Presidents G. Washington and A. Lincoln.
    A most appropriate and almost forgotten and timeless
    Poem to restir a faltering heart and comfort one’s soul
    suddenly comes to mind…
    Celebrating the holiday

Juneteenth
    A celebration of the Texas -Oklahoma Holiday “Juneteenth”

juneteenth.com
    Excerpts from © JUNETEENTH.com

“Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration commemorating the ending of slavery in the United States. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that the Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free. Note that this was two and a half years after President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation – which had become official January 1, 1863. The Emancipation Proclamation had little impact on the Texans due to the minimal number of Union troops to enforce the new Executive Order. However, with the surrender of General Lee in April of 1865, and the arrival of General Granger’s regiment, the forces were finally strong enough to influence and overcome the resistance.”

General Order Number 3
    “One of General Granger’s first orders of business was to read to the people of Texas, General Order Number 3 which began most significantly with:
    “The people of Texas are informed that in accordance with a Proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and free laborer.”
    “The celebration of June 19th was coined “Juneteenth” and grew with more participation from descendants. The Juneteenth celebration was a time for reassuring each other, for praying and for gathering remaining family members. Juneteenth continued to be highly revered in Texas decades later, with many former slaves and descendants making an annual pilgrimage back to Galveston on this date.”
    “Juneteenth Festivities and Food”
    “A range of activities were provided to entertain the masses, many of which continue in tradition today. Rodeos, fishing, barbecuing and baseball are just a few of the typical Juneteenth activities you may witness today. Juneteenth almost always focused on education and self- improvement”….

Excerpts from:
    To The American People
    by Bayard Taylor

“Throughout the Land there goes a cry:
    A sudden splendor fills the sky:
    From every hill the banners burst,
    Like buds by April breezes nurst;
    In every hamlet, home and mart,
    The fire-beat of a single heart
    Keeps time to strains whose pulses mix
    Our blood with that of Seventy-Six!”

A Farmer’s Almanac Citation
    Lincoln for the Defense
    https://www.almanac.com/lincoln-almanac-murder

“Abraham Lincoln Defends an Alleged Murderer
    The occasion depicted in the Rockwell painting is the 1858 murder trial of an Illinois man named William “Duff” Armstrong. Armstrong was accused of murdering James Preston Metzker with a “slung-shot”—a weight tied to a leather thong, sort of an early blackjack—a few minutes before midnight of August 29, 1857. Lincoln was a friend of the accused man’s father, Jack Armstrong, who’d just died, and so he offered to help defend young Duff Armstrong, without pay, as a favor to Jack Armstrong’s widow.
    The principal prosecution witness against Armstrong was a man named Charles Allen, who testified that he’d seen the murder from about 150 feet away. When Lincoln asked Allen how he could tell it was Armstrong given that it was the middle of the night and he was a considerable distance away from the murder scene, Allen replied, “By the light of the Moon.”
    How Lincoln Used the Almanac
    Upon hearing Allen’s testimony, Lincoln produced a copy of the 1857 edition, turned to the two calendar pages for August, and showed the jury that not only was the moon in the first quarter but it was riding “low” on the horizon, about to set, at the precise time of the murder. There would not have been enough light for Allen to identify Armstrong or anyone else, said Lincoln. The jury agreed, and Duff Armstrong was acquitted.”

Hope Spring Training’s Ethermal
    In the midst of all of Winter’s falling snow
    Is that certainty that Spring’s arrival has arrived.
    Attending Traditional Opening Day Cubs and Sox Baseball
    Thus cannot be that far behind.
    Reading assignment- Baseball Training manuals
    Shoe Goes to Wrigley Field- Jeff MacNelly
    Pages 4-5,6-7,9,16,40-41,51 and 58
    The Athletic Shoe- Jeff MacNelly
    2-3,12,16,36,88-89 and 90-91

Event Planning
    Equipment
    Winter Parka, Boots, scarf, gloves and hat
    Hot chocolate, Irish Coffee
    Chicago hot dogs or Maxwell Street Polish
    Peanuts, popcorn crackerjack
    Absolutely positively no sunscreen or snowcones!

17. By Joe Thorsky on

Beyond Treason’s Harbor -Patrick O’brian
    The reoccurring theme of this book as set during the Napoleonic Wars/The War of 1812 is the manner conduct and the nature of the generational intelligence wars between the British and the French and amongst and between the various British services as represented in Malta. At any time one is hard pressed to discern and tell who is representing who and what is what-why.
    All disparate motives, intentions and the doubtful suspect allegiances of many eventually come into question and play throughout the tattletelling retelling of the story.
    It is meant to be, and the novel’s narrative well documents and covers the confusion of espionage and counter-espionage at play during that historically significant era quite well.

FYI- Another Naval Last Stand
    Randolph vs Yarmouth 03/07/1778
    http://www.revwartalk.com/Battles-1778/03-07-1778-battles-battle-off-barbados-naval-battle.html

On the Death of Captain Nicholas Biddle

WHAT distant thunders rend the skies,
    What clouds of smoke in volumes rise,
    What means this dreadful roar!
    Is from his base Vesuvius thrown,
    Is sky-topt Atlas tumbled down,
    Or Etna’s self no more!

Shock after shock torments my ear;
    And lo! two hostile ships appear,
    Red lightnings round them glow:
    The Yarmouth boasts of sixty-four,
    The Randolph thirty-two—no more–
    And will she fight this foe!

The Randolph soon on Stygian streams
    Shall coast along the land of dreams,
    The islands of the dead!
    But fate, that parts them on the deep,
    Shall save the Briton, still to weep
    His ancient honors fled.

Say, who commands that dismal blaze,
    Where yonder starry streamer plays;
    Does Mars with Jove engage! ‘
    Tis Biddle wings those angry fires;
    Biddle, whose bosom Jove inspires
    With more than mortal rage.

Tremendous flash! and hark, the ball
    Drives through old Yarmouth, flames and all;
    Her bravest sons expire;
    Did Mars himself approach so nigh,
    Even Mars, without disgrace, might fly
    The Randolph’s fiercer fire.

The Briton views his mangled crew;
    “And shall we strike to Thirty-Two”
    (Said Hector, stained with gore);
    “Shall Britain’s flag to these descend–
    Rise, and the glorious conflict end,
    Britons, I ask no more!”

He spoke—they charged their cannon round,
    Again the vaulted heavens resound,
    The Randolph bore it all,
    Then fixed her pointed cannons true–
    Away the unwieldy vengeance flew;
    Britain, the warriors fall.

The Yarmouth saw, with dire dismay,
    Her wounded hull, shrouds shot away,
    Her boldest heroes dead–
    She saw amidst her floating slain
    The conquering Randolph stem the main–
    She saw, she turned, and fled!

That hour, blest chief, had she been thine,
    Dear Biddle, had the powers divine
    Been kind as thou wert brave;
    But fate, who doomed thee to expire,
    Prepared an arrow, tipped with fire,
    And marked a watery grave,

And in that hour when conquest came
    Winged at his ship a pointed flame
    That not even He could shun–
    The conquest ceased, the Yarmouth fled,
    The bursting Randolph ruin spread,
    And lost what honor won.

The Old Commodore mp3/ Derek Warfield

1. By Steve Moore on

A good series; grew up with Hornblower, then switched to Richard Bolitho. When they made the movie, Russell Crowe hit the Jack Aubrey nail on the head.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Steve
        Pipe aboard all hands.
        A Second Patrick O’Brian novel you might consider in prep for ROB is
        The Far Side of the World -Patrick O’Brian

As ferocity, pyrrhic victories and stalemate in The War of 1812 continues on to an inevitable uncertain unwinnable conclusion , Jack Aubrey sets course for Cape Horn on an urgent mission that’s after his own heart: intercepting a powerful American frigate that’s outward bound to interfere and interdict British Commercial interests by attempting to dismast, disrupt and neuter their burgeoning whaling trade.
        If they are unable and do not successfully neutralize this rascally American before she rounds the Horn, they are committed to and must follow her into the Great South Sea and as far across the Pacific wherever she may lead them. But Aubrey also has to cope with and address a series of disastrous events and regimens that overwhelms them in the Great South Sea and in the far reaches of the Pacific. Attending to while overcoming successive typhoons, storms, men overboard, castaways, encounters with savages, groundings, shipwrecks, murder, and criminal insanity is almost reason enough to reconsider and scuttle this mission even before it begins.
        All these various and tenuous fine-tuned interwoven and compressed plot twists are deceptively self-contained between and within the pages of only one novel!
        Just how remarkable is that!

Stand by to recover the “Jolly” Boat!
        Another pertinent and recommended read in prep of Taylor’s ROB is
        All Brave Sailors: The Sinking of the Anglo-Saxon, August 21, 1940
        J. Revell Carr

Publishers Weekly citation
        “In the war’s early days, the heavily armed German Raider Widder commonly disguised itself as a neutral Swedish freighter and pummeled unsuspecting enemy ships with massive artillery. On August 21, 1940, the victim of this remarkably effective (and much frowned upon) technique was the defenseless SS Anglo-Saxon, which came under attack off Africa’s western coast. What’s unique about this story is its aftermath: the German Raider Widder’s incredibly effective ambush method resulted in a fatality rate of 100% –
        but not this time. Seven seamen were able to escape undetected on a tiny, meagerly provisioned “jolly boat.”
        Their fate constitutes the utterly riveting heart of the book.”

1. By Steve Moore on

To quote Elmer Fudd… “THOSE WASCALLY WANKEES!” Read Far Side and a few others, then got wrapped up in other stuff… started to get wordy (not as bad as Clancy, but still tedious)

When the grick party to South Africa was on his way to try and negotiate them to join the gricks they ran into a blizzard so I guess you could say it snows in South Africa at least in Taylors South Africa

18. By Joe Thorsky on

As expected some very thoughtful and elegant postings all

Aren’t all of these inner workings of Cultural Incorporation
    A sloppy messy interactive business after and before everything
    And anything is messiah made and done.

A Brain Teether (Tether?) for you all to muse off and on about
    Charles Darwin
    The Voyage of the Beagle didn’t occur
    On the Origin of Species (1859) wasn’t written
    And the knowledge information transfer into
    Taylor’s Destroyermen World didn’t happen

Inquery-Does evolution there even exist and how can it
    be explained away if no one knows anything about it?
    Now where did I put that copy of Thomas Aquinas’
    Summa contra gentiles (SCG) at?
    https://www.britannica.com/biography/Charles-Darwin
    “Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.”
    Just giving a Neanderthal state of Art and Sciences Technology doesn’t
    Immediately and automatically confer the wisdom and the understanding to use it.

1. By Charles Simpson on

There was a lot of insight into genetics both prior and post Darwin. My own guess is that had Charles Darwin not proposed the theory of natural selection being the driving force of change in species someone else would have.

Human evolution or lack thereof has been influenced by cultural evolution, the biggest change was from hunter gatherers to herders farmers IMO.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

I agree, that someone else would clearly propose such theory around this time – after all, Wallace came to similar conclusions at exactly the same time – but Darwin not only suggested the theory of evolution, he popularized it greatly. His “On the Origin of Species” was very popular, easy to understood & quite persuasive.

1. By Joe Thorsky on

Evolution The Grand Design mp3/Symphony X
          My Friends:
          Natural Selectionly Insightful, but traversing from the
          “There and Then” to the new “Here and Now” isn’t just
          sloppy and messy, it’s somewhat fraught with numerous
          conundrums, inconsistencies and contradictions requiring
          a Heraclean Thomas Moore leap of scientific faith to
          adequately and satisfactorily explain them.
          Doesn’t it just evolutionary follow that there is “way out there”
          a conductor conducting.
          New World Symphony- Dvorak
          The Planets Symphony-Holtz
          Kitty Hawk mp3- James Horner Royal Liverpool Philharmonic
          March of the Bob Cats mp3/ BBC Big Band
          Demon Kitty Rag mp3 / Katenjammer
          The Kitty Kat Song mp3/ Lee Dorsey
          Evolutionistically Yours mp3/ Jozef Gatysik
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isic2Z2e2xs

19. By Justin on

Okay, how about a lost US Cavalry detachment somewhere further inland? Even a partially-settled Arizona or New Mexico would expedite land travel from Cali to the NUS.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

We knew too little about inner North America with the exception that it is inhabitated by some powers that were considered “pending problems” for NUS. And, frankly, such land journey of unprepared unit through unknown terrain would be… rather unpleasant. Especially under Destroyermens rather Death World conditions.

1. By Matt on

Agreed, seems to be a bit of a stretch for a cavalry unit. They weren’t really equipped to be away from civilization for more than a few weeks at a time at the most. Seems to me it would be more likely to either be another group of Native Americans, but this time a North American tribe or a group of settlers/homesteaders. Perhaps 49ers or maybe French-Canadian fur trappers. A group like the Souix would be interesting because both they and the NUS would have reason to be wary of one another.

1. By Alexey Shiro on

I still support the idea of isolationistic high-tech civilization enclave somewhere in inner North America. This fit a lot of known facts quite good; both the “pending problem” of NUS and the reason why Dom’s decided to widhtraw from Mexico after first war with 1847 Americans.

1. By Matt on

How high tech are we talking though? I think getting in to scifi levels of tech is pushing it but a group with technology levels around discrete transistors would be interesting. Anything more would require such a long and diverse list of resources that I don’t think it’s possible to be isolationist. However North America in general and Canada in specific has a good reserve of rare earth metals so semi conductors could be in the cards.

2. By Alexey Shiro on

Higher than avaliable for Dom & NUS for sure. Maybe higher, than League. Probably without the actual ability to sustain tech base (i.e. they could not reproduce their tech), but clearly dangerous enough for Doms to pull out of Mexico after the war with NUS (which they won, lets not forget. And then they suddenly depopulated the whole area and get out of such valuable region. The only reason I could think about is that they were afraid of some third side, which could potentially push in, and the only way of defense in Doms weakened state was to make this area valueless)

3. By Alexey Shiro on

//. Anything more would require such a long and diverse list of resources that I don’t think it’s possible to be isolationist.//

What if they don’t need such a long and diverse list?

We are looking from standard position of industrial era; you need machines to make machines to make machines to make high-tech equipment. But what if we are talking about post-industrial someone? What if they have machines which could make anything, given sufficient raw materials?

We already have a good approximation of this technology in therms of additive manufacturing – commonly known as 3D printing. The 3D printers already could print machine parts, complicated equipment, even computer microchips. There are even project to develope a printer which could print all its parts (i.e. reproduce)!

What if we have small transfer group with 3D-printing technology on the level of, say, 50+ years from now? Do they need raw materials? Yes, but not in usual scale of “machines to make machines to make machines”; they need only enough, so their mega-3D printer could print nessesary final product. Do they need local workforce? Yes, but they don’t need to actually teach them anything, especially any scientific knowlege. They would be perfectly fine with having all knowlege for themselves, thus being “magical” elite over the commoners.

The other Destroyermen’s world societies could not do that. They are industrial-era societies, which means that they need a awful lot of trained workers & engineers – i.e. those who understood what exactly are they doing here. They could not do any other way.

But our hypotetical post-industrial group? They don’t need trained & educated locals; they don’t need industrial base outside of minimal, capable of providing power & resources for 3D-pringing equipment and other high-tech machinery. They don’t need engineers; they probably have engineering computer programs to make all calculations at least on basic level. So, they have no actual reason to NOT install themselves as sort-of “magocracy”, with transferers and their descendants as “magical” ruling elite, who have access to superior technology and knowlege, how it works and how to operate it. And local “commoners”, who live in ave of “magical powers” of elite.

With such society, the expansion is, actually, not needed. The relatively small demand of resources could be satisfied without need to push more. Also, the expansion is… problematic, because for large-scale expansion (for example, conquest of Dom’s and NUS, not to mention Imperial colonies) you need not only a small number of high-tech equipment – wich your commoner soldiers could NOT understood – but also large number of mid-tech and low-tech equipment, which they COULD understood.

For example; it you are bend on mantaining the high-tech magocracy, when only the small elite have actual understanding of scientific knowlege, you have reasons not to arm you commoner soldiers with automatic rifles. Such weapon could be understood, the basic principles of it could be deduced, and such weapon could be used against you.

But you HAVE the reasons to arm your commoner soldiers with Awesome But Impractical laser rifles. Why? Because such weapon would be truly “magical” for peoples without extensive scientific knowlege. Even if they tried, they simply would not be able to understood, exactly how the laser worked. They could not mantain, reproduce, or even recharge such weapon without your – high-tech elite – direct involvement. And you could easily make sure, that such weapon could not be used against you in case of rebellion or something; small built-in reciever which, after recieving coded command, would “magically” turn the weapon off, thus making sure that “blessed weapon could not be used against Chosen Ones!”

Problem is, while you probably could make (on your 3D-printing module) enough hand-held lasers to beat any Dom’s or NUS army that invaded your lands – just imagine the horror of Dom or NUS soldiers, if they suddenly started to be blown to bits or charred by BEAMS! – you hardly could build enough of them to actually took over Dominion or NUS. This would simply put too much strain on your limited 3D-printing capabilities, which are NOT well-suited for mass-production.

The same for other means, too, like communication. You could safely gave your commoner soldiers “magical” cellphones with cameras & screens that allow them to see with awe your blessed face. They could not possibly understood, how this things worked. But if you gave them something simple – like, crystal radio – they MAY eventually understood, that there isn’t anything magical here. And, if your power are based on your monopoly on “magic”, you clearly did not want for any commoners to understood anything of it.

Interesting speculation, aren’t they? :)

4. By Matt on

I see where you are coming from. Alexei but I think introducing such a society would be “jumping the shark”. We have had a lot of factions introduced in the last few books and they still need development and conclusions to their story arcs. Adding more, especially one so advanced would complicate the story and I don’t think it would add much to the narrative Taylor is making. I know there are some who would love to have a super advanced faction appear and have the reasons for the portal explained but I don’t think we need that. The story is at its heart about Matthew Reddy and his crew overcoming the odds and thriving on this hostile world against numerous enemies. Things need to stay within the realm of believability. Adding in a group that has technology that exceeds our own goes a little too far I think.

5. By Alexey Shiro on

Of course) It was just an interesting speculation. But interesting anyway.

6. By Justin on

Pretty much, Matt.

And even if it happened, they wouldn’t cross over for another century or so – not without a time machine. Gotta queue up behind the LST en-route to Korea, the helos over Vietnam, and the Pattons in Iraq.

7. By Alexey Shiro on

Er.., Justin, the Squall IS time machine by definition. Not to mention that tech progress could go faster or just sooner in some parallel world in relation to our.

8. By Justin on

The Squall jumps you minutes or hours into the future, not decades… and I really can’t see 3D printers in the 19th/20th century Midwest unless we get a transfer of a transfer.

9. By Charles Simpson on

As noted we have story arcs enough. The new USA is not well know, nor is the League. We have little knowledge of the extent of ice sheets responsible for the lowering of sea levels. The interior of the continents is still a mystery, Terra incognita. We know the New USA has enemies on the North American continent, and that they know about the multiple worlds that have provided visitors, and that their US history is not the only one. The largest natural source of Cryolite needed to produce Aluminum is in Greenland and may well be under thick glaciers.

10. By Alexey Shiro on

//The Squall jumps you minutes or hours into the future, not decades…//

Into the past, actually. Because time is flowing inside the Squall, and objects are delivered exactly on the corresponding location – not thrown into space or buried under Earth crust due to planet movement.

This does not affect casuality, because we are talking about parallel worlds; cause & effect arent in the same universe.

And if you have the ability to send objects a minute in the past, I see no reason why you could not send a hundred years.

11. By Lou Schirmer on

The squall sounds more like a portal between universes than a time machine. Maybe it’s a wormhole? But Alexey’s right in that technological advances could be spurred by different events in different timelines. Only those close to ours would be limited to WW2 tech. Rome might not have fallen & they have interstellar capability by now, or the plagues & Mongol invasions destroyed European civilization & something entirely different comes through, the possibilities are endless.

12. By Justin on

//Into the past, actually. Because time is flowing inside the Squall, and objects are delivered exactly on the corresponding location – not thrown into space or buried under Earth crust due to planet movement.

This does not affect casuality, because we are talking about parallel worlds; cause & effect arent in the same universe.

And if you have the ability to send objects a minute in the past, I see no reason why you could not send a hundred years.//

As Lou said, it’s a portal (and bound to the surface of Earth at that). You enter the storm in 1760 or 1915 or 1942, you exit in 1760 or 1915 or 1942 some time later – that’s practically a rule by now.

Halik hasn’t bumped into Israeli tanks from the Six Day War for the same reasons; not only would that seriously mess with the existing story, but it hasn’t happened yet.

//But Alexey’s right in that technological advances could be spurred by different events in different timelines. Only those close to ours would be limited to WW2 tech. Rome might not have fallen & they have interstellar capability by now, or the plagues & Mongol invasions destroyed European civilization & something entirely different comes through, the possibilities are endless.//

Sure, but would their “frequency” get picked up by this Squall. Seems like transfers from the 1632-verse (which is what you’d need to get cell phones and laser rifles in colonial Utah) would get dumped out in another world.

13. By Alexey Shiro on

Guys, “its a portal” means nothing, because what are the “portal” is not defined. If you means a wormhole, I must point out that wormholes could very easily connect points not in space (or inter-space, between the univerces), but in time as well.

Time & space aren’t two different things – they are basically different sides of the same continuum. You could not “transfer the “Walker” into the same moment”, because there is no absolute scale for time even within one universe, far less between universes. The “Walker” moved – time for her slowed by definition. I agree, on such relative velocities like between moving “Walker” and, say, more or less stationary Surabaya, time dilation differences are hardly noticeable, but it actually existed and even could be measured.

So, there is no such things as “just portals”. And exactly zero reason, why Squall couldn’t connect time points with more distance between them than milliseconds. Unless, of course, the Squall was PORGRAMMED NOT TO DO THAT.

14. By Alexey Shiro on

//Sure, but would their “frequency” get picked up by this Squall. Seems like transfers from the 1632-verse (which is what you’d need to get cell phones and laser rifles in colonial Utah) would get dumped out in another world.//

First of all, we doesn’t know, is the “frequency” theory right or wrong.

Secondly, we already have fauna from different worlds, that diverged from each other MILLIONS of years ago. Mountain fishes, for example; they must came from far different world, in evolutionary therms, than Earth, because Earth biology simply could not allow creatures of such size to exist.

Thirdly, why you assumed that tech progress is some absolute scale? It isn’t; it is moved by wast combinations of factors. In the League’s roman origin world (where Roman Empire existed in X century), this combination would clearly be far different from our world. And some important discoveries could be done earlier, because different timeline led to different peoples being born and some inventors COULD came earlier.

So, no, Justin, I could not agree with you on this point. POTENTIALLY, the Squall could brought up basically anything. Its actual selectiveness depend on what programming it recieved, or what intelligence is controlling the Squall – but not on some “constant laws of the universe”. Because there aren’t such laws.

15. By Alexey Shiro on

//The squall sounds more like a portal between universes than a time machine. Maybe it’s a wormhole? But Alexey’s right in that technological advances could be spurred by different events in different timelines. Only those close to ours would be limited to WW2 tech. Rome might not have fallen & they have interstellar capability by now, or the plagues & Mongol invasions destroyed European civilization & something entirely different comes through, the possibilities are endless.//

Exacly, Louis!

16. By Justin on

The Spanish galleons didn’t arrive last book, and Mizuki Maru didn’t arrive a hundred years ago; as far as we know, time is linear on both worlds.

Besides, since when did any ISOT make any scientific sense (or need to)? One moment, you’re somewhere, one moment later, you’re magically somewhere else, and we don’t need to know the mechanics because the Squall is a MacGuffin – with new factions introduced at the speed of plot – and the REAL story marches on with or without it.

//In the League’s roman origin world (where Roman Empire existed in X century), this combination would clearly be far different from our world. And some important discoveries could be done earlier, because different timeline led to different peoples being born and some inventors COULD came earlier.//

AFAIK, the Republic timeline and the League timeline aren’t the same thing.

Absolutely. Yet butterflies only go so far – you’d need to get enough PODs for 2020-era tech centuries early, AND enough PODs for them to settle in the middle of nowhere (which was what the Midwest was back then, and arguably still is).

17. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

The only argument I have against Alexey’s X Century Romans diversion point being no different from a tech base with 3D Printing is this (and it does kind of support Courtney’s “frequency” theory). Consider–Even if it was a X Century Imperial (IE Western) Rome, it could’ve been floundering badly. It could also have been an Eastern “Rome” that maintained connection and traditions longer. Almost nothing is known of that other than what Garrett (Who’s admittedly no historian)suspects, and some few organizational/naming conventions hints. Courtney may have a better idea, but he spent most of his time figuring out the Gentaa–and he’s . . . different now anyway, with different priorities. He may have even figured EVERYTHING out by now, but without Matt to talk to, hasn’t spilled. The main point, however, is that OUR X Century timeline might not have been tremendously different from a weak, declining, X Century Rome timeline–compared to a fascist Europe timeline–and the X Century (or thereabouts) was when the transfer would’ve taken place, not after further centuries of diversion.
            And, of course, maybe Alexander didn’t croak and Macedonian hegemony lasted longer, as a greater competitor to Rome than it was. Again, possibilities are endless. My bet is, prior to X Century, there would’ve been few changes in weapons and warfare regardless. Maybe Alexander slapped his forehead and came up with stirrups. Think how dominant Macedonian cavalry would’ve been then?
            There’s a world-changer for you, Matthieu: Whoever it was who came up with stirrups–or whoever slapped their forehead and came up with the pan-covering frizzen (English) flintlock, rendering all previous, overly complicated firelocks obsolete. Hey! The socket bayonet! All sorts of little improvements that we take for granted had utterly profound effects, and were usually cooked up by some nameless dude, forgotten by time.

18. By Steve Moore on

Boy, you fellows were hammering the keyboards last night. For all the thoughts of tecnology transfer, though, it’d be interesting to see how some of the natives of this world create technological progress, instead of just having it handed to them.

2. By Steve Moore on

Well, in a couple of books or so, we have the opportunity to take on board those Avengers lost in the Bermuda Triangle. Get the NUS busy building an Guantanamo airfield for Fleashooters, and berthing space for Nancy/Buzzard/Clipper patrols, and they’ll have someplace to land. Not to mention, the Alliance gets some modern attack craft and more modern technology to copy. From Fred and Kari’s discoveries, we know there have been recent transfers in the Caribbean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_19

1. By Justin on

Can’t remember when we had that discussion, but the consensus was that due to the “no real people” rule, they can’t be the same Flight 19 (Flight 18? 20?). Same reason Amelia Earhart wasn’t on Yap back in Rising Tides.

Five Avengers and/or a Mariner would indeed be a good start for TBs.

1. By Steve Moore on

OK, in their world, FDR’s still around and dancing up a storm at the White House Victory Ball…

20. By Taylor Anderson on

Yeah, and I recently had to add an anti-spam service. Don called about this–and I got his voicemail a couple of days later–(I was away from phone service, dealing with rhino pigs with the .50-95)–but then it just went away! Don, sorry, but I just got a new phone too (I HATE new phones) and lost your number to call you back. Give me a shout if you like. Oh, and since I’m answering this on a different computer, I’ll bet a different booger comes up. Ain’t technology wonderful?

1. By Justin on

I think it’s because of a different email, rather than a different computer. I’ve get the same booger posting at home and from the library.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Really? I have two for you. One might be through your publisher though.

1. By Justin on

Hmm, maybe it’s the IP?

(Goddamn, I didn’t think mine could get any uglier…)

21. By Justin on

I wonder if there’s any lost expeditions roaming around the Congo? Probably not… but if the Union and/or Republic bump into several pith-helmeted Victorians riding a pack of Baryonyx, I damn well called it.

1. Taylor AndersonsBy Taylor Andersons on

Sadly, probably not much better than an unarmed Lemurian. Especially if he goes around yodeling.

2. By Steve Moore on

Hmmm, wonder if there’s a race of tree-swinging Grik-likes in the Heart of Darkest Africa. Or maybe cargo-cult workshipers, in thrall to a Trans-Africa air racer lost in the 30’s, French-speaking to boot.

22. By Justin on

Speaking of natural wonders, all that glacial meltwater probably means colossal waterfalls up in Washington and Montana. For example, Dry Falls was twice as high and five times wider than Niagara – the Imperials really should think about putting that on the travel guide.

the flow down the Zambezi aught to make some impressive falls. i wonder how the Grik bypassed them to get their ships and barges down the Zambezi. would take very impressive engineering

1. By Steve Moore on

Thinking about the power of falling water; another possibility for Baalkpaan industry after the war; hydropower. Lemurians supposedly are great pump designers, they’ve got generators knocked, and they’ve got great bracing designs. Not to mention, irrigation pumps and farm machinery for Austraal.

Then, of course, that could segue into lock-building up the Zambezi with labor from the Free Grik Empire, into the heart of Darkest Africa. That’s probably about Book 21m I’d guess…

1. By Justin on

Sure. More like Book 30, though – the nearest river, the Mahakam, is 100km north of Baalkpan. Any aspiring hydro engineers will likely have to start in the Republic or the colonies.

1. By Steve Moore on

Was thinking of the colonies, but it’s also technology the NUS would understand, at least the dams and such.

1. By Justin on

Sounds good… unless they start building in Yosimite or the Amazon, in which case the locals and/or Imperial naturalists (as in OTL) will understandably scream bloody murder.

23. By Lou Schirmer on

It’d be a pretty awesome sight, I think, watching the tides at the Pass del Fuego. Water draining out at both ends as the tide passes & then the surge when the tide comes back in. Depending on the width of the pass & shape of the entrance, you could have a wall of water over 100′ high coming in. It’d be like watching some sort of cosmic or biblical event each day. Make a hell of an artistic subject. Any ships IN the pass would be toast & the ships heading west had best be in a hurry after the initial bore fills the pass or they might not make it by the ebb & get caught in the pass when the next tide starts pulling water. They’d have to start well outside to be safe from the initial surge & probably only go with a good wind. How they get ships through going east would be an interesting problem. Figuring 60-100 miles of Pass, plus say a 10 mile safety zone & time for the initial surge to settle, the Dom ships would have to cover 70-110 miles in 10-11 hours. Heading east, the liners would probably need assistance from a high speed tug to make it through in time.

1. By Generalstarwars333 on

There should totally be a scene from the pass of fire for a book cover. That’d be great. Or like a picture on the website. Someone with artistic skills exceeding stickfigures needs to get on this.

2. By Justin on

There was a map back in Storm Surge: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/destroyermen/images/2/22/El_Paso_del_Fuego.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20151001102258

It’s right on the border between Nicaragua and Costa Rica – about 200km long (125 miles) – but it’s also 30km wide, and there’s cities right on the coast, so it can’t be any more cataclysmic than a giant flash flood or the tide at Talbot Bay.

As for crossing, don’t forget that they’d be going with the tide; the real problem seems to be navigating the currents and clearing the strait before the back-surge kicks in. Anson also notes that there’s a bay halfway through for the ships that won’t make it in time.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

Yeah, saw that map & those bays on the north side would be great for concentrating a tidal surge, especially the first one, La Calma. The cities in the pass are probably set back some distance from the shore & their harbors would have some bodacious breakwaters to protect them.

You’d be going with the tide whichever way you went, but the liners are slow enough, they might need help getting through before the tide swings the other way. I’d suppose it would depend on how deep the pass was as to how dramatic it would be. Maybe Taylor will let us know in some future book.

2. By donald j johnson on

Using your figures then NO ship can make it in one tide. They will have 6 hours of tidal current in one direction then 6 hours in the other direction. if the tidal current is 6 knots and the ship can add another 6 knots then they can only go 72 knotical miles per tide. this means at least 2 tides or 3 tides per trek with an anchorage parking at the change of tide. This translates into at least a day and a half minimum. I do not feel that there will be a tidal bore problem as the tides themselves will scour the bottoms of the passage.

3. By Lou Schirmer on

Looking at the map again, I still think there would be a respectable tidal bore going into the pass. The bay on the eastern side would cup the flow into the pass. There might even be some sort of standing wave there while the tide is coming in. I’ve seen something like that in bay & harbor entrances before. If an asteroid did hit there, there would probably be a significant depth change also. Looks like something took a bite out of Nicaragua between Monkey Point & San Juan del Norte & the bay at La Calma might be what’s left of Lake Nicaragua.
        As far as scouring out the pass, it depends on how long it’s been there & how deep the bedrock is.

http://www.mapsland.com/maps/north-america/central-america-and-the-caribbean/detailed-political-map-of-central-america.jpg

1. By Lou Schirmer on

OK, I’ve been checking out tidal bores & while most are not too dramatic, dangerous but not dramatic, some can get surreal. The “Silver Dragon” is a tidal bore on the Qiantang river in the city of Hangzhou China. Showing how land shape can change a regular tide into something spectacular. Several other videos out there, like the Bono in Indonesia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAGABdvv5u8

2. By Justin on

There seems to be one big semi-concentric hole where Bluefields would’ve been – that might be it. Still, even an asteroid-sized depth charge wouldn’t’ve cut a near-straight channel through a continent, nor triggered volcanoes.

Central America formed in the first place when the Cocos and Caribbean plates collided and cut off the Central American Seaway. Perhaps they’re now sliding or drifting apart for some reason.

1. By Lou Schirmer on

An asteroid strike could trigger local volcanoes, if they were anywhere near erupting, local fault lines also. I could see it opening things up to Lake Nicaragua, but as you say, not all the way. The fault lines & plates may be slightly different in that world & with most of the volcanoes on the western side of the country, a large caldera collapse near the coast might finish the job.

Or, an asteroid strike may have shifted things enough that the Central American Seaway never closed completely & is just now in the process of closing.

2. By Lou Schirmer on

One hyperlink doesn’t get moderated. Two or more do. Probably an anti-spam measure by your IT guy.

4. By Paul Smith on

would it be possible to put a lock system in El Paso del Fuego, like put in a cofferdam on one side of the pass, then after it’s finished, put one on the other side? Do this at both ends, then during slack tide, fill in the gap between them? do this in sections at a time. I’m no hydraulic engineer, so I have little experience with the pressures and flows on such a project.

1. By Justin on

Given that you’re trying to hold back the entire ocean with these locks, I’m not very optimistic on this one.

2. By Alexey Shiro on

…With 1960+ level of technology – probably. Still I doubt that such procedures could really be made without land-moving nukes (offtop, I know, but USSR used almost 200 nuclear charges in peaceful programs – land moving, large-scale engineering projects, geophysical research, putting out the catastrophic fires on the oil & gas deposits… Small-scale nukes could be really useful for engineering, if you use them properly.)

3. By Charles Simpson on

The canal system depends on reservoirs to provide water to raise the level in the locks that goes down hill. The area is earthquake and volcanically active, bad news for reservoirs, well the dams at least 😉

Sea water weighs 64 lbs per cubic foot so each foot of depth adds 64 lbs. / Ft cubed x 1 foot squared/ 144 square inches or 0.44444 PSI per foot of depth IE 10 ft 4.4444 PSI, 100 feet 44.444 PSI 1,000 feet 444.44 PSI.

1. By Steve Moore on

Well, there might be the possibility of some geographic features that would be suitable for tidal hydro plants

Leave a Reply to Alexey Shiro Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *